Old 05-25-2017, 02:30 PM

So far all of my colonies have ended...badly:
1) Everyone went berserk or died
2) Everyone ate each other
3) Overrun by rampaging muffalos
4) Carried off by pirate slavers
5) Killed by long term effects of exposure to chemical cloud
6) Froze/starved during long winter
7) Ended up with a group of colonists completely incapable of cleaning...with predictable results
8) Overrun with berserk escaped prisoners and insane colonists so had last surviving sane colonist burn it down with a Molotov
Old 05-26-2017, 06:05 AM

Well, a few hours with Prison Architect combined with this thread (and the fact that I'm weak) led to my buying the game yesterday.

Surprisingly, I found it much more approachable than others of its type. I loaded up the Prepare Carefully mod and kitted out a "lone survivor" with lots of items and skills so that I could sandbox my way around.

Stuff went well. I had a fully stocked meat locker, a few wind turbines, and a solid defensive parameter. A herd of invasive beaver had given me enough leather to prep winter clothing. Two other folks had joined my colony and they had their own little bedrooms.

And then I learned a Very Important Lesson about pyromaniacs.

Goddamnit, Kimmy.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 05-26-2017 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:00 PM

The only thing pyromaniacs are good for are making snazzy hats.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

I picked up Oxygen Not Included. Having more fun with that than RimWorld.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 05-28-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:05 AM

Update:

I started a new game in an arid mountainous region and have Dwarf Fortressed my way into it. Temperature and power was an issue until I figured stuff out. On the whole, the mountain seems to regulate temperature pretty effectively - I'm pretty much immune to heatwaves.

Being dug into a mountain makes defense pretty easy now that I have automated turrets. The only time I had any real trouble was when a raider managed to explode one of the turrets, knocking out a nearby defender. I've layered my defenses so that shouldn't happen again.

I'm about ready to start a "real" game without cheating via Prepare Carefully. The biggest problem I'm seeing is that travel on the world map is pretty unintuitive and seems to take a really long time. Transport pods are pretty far up the tech tree and require a ton of resources especially when you take the chemfuel into account. But said travel seems to be how you move things along in terms of getting lots of resources and equipment.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:00 PM

For the past several months I've seen a friend on Steam pop into Rimworld. I checked her profile and saw 1500 hours played ... well, that's an endorsement.

I picked it up this past weekend and have sunk about 40 hours in so far, and I'm very glad I've spent countless hours in Dwarf Fortress and other similar games. I haven't won yet, mostly because every time I get to midgame I decide to quit and start a new colony, but this has definitely been worth the $30.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:03 AM

If anybody is still playing this, Ludeon dropped a surprise DLC (the first!).

Rimworld Royalty DLC looks to add a whole lot of changes, and I'll be trying it out this weekend!
Old 02-26-2020, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

I still play regularly. But, I'm mostly a peaceful builder. I don't mind building basic defenses, but when it gets to the point where there are mortars and whatnot, I stop having fun.

From what I can tell this DLC is oriented towards additional weapons and combat abilities, so I'm not as hyped as I'd otherwise be.

I had been playing the 1.1 beta, and there weren't a lot of obvious changes besides a few more animals and some cleaned-up UI. I had hoped for more building/management additions.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:13 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Definitely sounds like a bad hare day.
Mr. Colibri, your agonizer, please.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:06 PM

So far I like it a lot. I tend to mostly do peaceful stuff, but just the new quests are fun.

"Take in three guinea pigs and host them for four days. The guinea pigs are injured and may not be able to walk. Oh, and they have been implicated in the death of a child, so the people of the Enclave of the Boar will be hunting them. Expect an attack one day after accepting this quest, with additional attacks every 18 hours.

The attacks will consist of:

1 Town Councilman

Or the equivalent."

Lol, so you nurse the guinea pigs back to health and protect them from the attackers, then a shuttle shows up, and you load them on it and then get your reward from cargo pods.

The nobility thing is interesting as well. You get a quest (With Phoebe as storyteller, anyway) to save some idiot noble from whatever animal he pissed off while out on a stroll... A duck, goose, rabbit, what have you... And that gives you enough Royal Favor to become a yeoman, which gives you access to the psycasting abilities. They aren't necessarily all combat oriented, as you can get things like Painblock (shut down the target's pain receptors) which could be useful even in a peaceful colony. As your pawn's title increases, they have higher and higher expectations-. As an Esquire, they require a throne room (minimum area of 24 squares, floored, with a throne and two braziers... Which must be lit) as well as a nice bedroom (floored, minimum of double bed, size of somewhere around 24 squares also I think). They also will not eat raw food or nutrient paste, and want clothes befitting their station.

It can turn into a full-time job keeping them happy. My current colony's noble was not pleased, because I accidentally scored her more favor than I intended... So suddenly she needed stuff I literally couldn't provide, because I started as a lost tribe, and didn't know how to make furniture or clothes. She flew into a murderous rage, twice, and beat two colonists to death with her psyfocus staff.

Good times.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:51 PM

Part of me scoffs at the idea of buying DLC for a game with such a robust modding community that there's no way I'll ever work through the content. The other part of me then points out that I have played a whole hell of a lot of Rimworld and throwing the devs a little more money wouldn't be the worst idea.

I'll pick it up eventually I'm sure.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:30 PM

The number of hours I have put into this game versus the cost makes it one of my best value-for-dollar purchases of all time. I bought the original game before steam release, and also bought the DLC direct from ludeon (which gets you a drm-free copy, as well as a steam key).
Old 02-29-2020, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Spam reported (I think - got an error).
Old 03-02-2020, 11:53 AM

Well, some helpful advice:

If you are a peaceful person, do NOT accept any quest in which Mechanoid Clusters will be involved.

If you aren't a peaceful person, don't accept any quests with Mechanoid Clusters until you are well-armed and well-armored.

Holy shit. They are ROUGH. They drop from the sky in cargo pods, and build ridiculously defended positions, surrounded by barricades, with randomly assorted other items:

- Mechanoids themselves
- Mechanoid building factory things that construct new mechanoids
- Turrets, turrets, turrets... and more turrets
- Shield generators
- GIANT... FREAKING... MORTARS...
- Proximity detectors

Everything (in my experience so far, anyway) arrives in a dormant state. If they have proximity detectors, it will all awaken when you get close. Otherwise, they usually also drop with a timer which will also awaken things after so much time has elapsed. Barring that, they will all awaken as soon as you attack anything in the cluster.

The freaking mortar tore holes in my base almost immediately. I was not far along in tech, so I was attacking with some standard rifles and pistols, and had a group of four champions of the Empire to assist, who all came with shield belts and awesome weapons... but melee only. First mechanoid cluster killed two of the champions and injured the others. Second wiped out the rest, and most of my colony.

One of these days, I'll have a colony survive more than a couple of years...

Last edited by krondys; 03-02-2020 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Mistakes were made.