Old 10-31-2019, 05:11 PM

Maybe I'm missing something about priorities. I'm currently trying to refine a ton of steel to build my first rocket. I refined a bunch of iron, built a storage container close to my metal refinery, set the filter to iron until it was totally full with 20 tons, then disabled the filter, so the iron dropped out. So there is now 20 tons of iron sitting on the floor very close to my metal refinery. But every time the refinery is ready for more iron, one of my dupes goes up to the surface to fetch some that's fallen from meteorites. They've barely touched the 20 tons of iron sitting right there; it's only down to 18.9. Meanwhile, as soon as a dupe finishes making a batch of steel, I click on the refinery, click on the Errands tab, see that one of the dupes has supplying the refinery as their current errand, click on the dupe... and sure enough, they're all the way up at the surface fetching iron, and have to climb all the way back down, change out of their jet suit, and climb further down, taking way too long. What gives? I have proximity enabled in the priorities screen.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcite View Post
Maybe I'm missing something about priorities. I'm currently trying to refine a ton of steel to build my first rocket. I refined a bunch of iron, built a storage container close to my metal refinery, set the filter to iron until it was totally full with 20 tons, then disabled the filter, so the iron dropped out. So there is now 20 tons of iron sitting on the floor very close to my metal refinery. But every time the refinery is ready for more iron, one of my dupes goes up to the surface to fetch some that's fallen from meteorites. They've barely touched the 20 tons of iron sitting right there; it's only down to 18.9. Meanwhile, as soon as a dupe finishes making a batch of steel, I click on the refinery, click on the Errands tab, see that one of the dupes has supplying the refinery as their current errand, click on the dupe... and sure enough, they're all the way up at the surface fetching iron, and have to climb all the way back down, change out of their jet suit, and climb further down, taking way too long. What gives? I have proximity enabled in the priorities screen.

Did you set the priority of the iron you want them to focus on first?
Old 11-07-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
Did you set the priority of the iron you want them to focus on first?
I feel like an idiot. Ignore my post. The storage container was full of iron ore, not refined iron.

On another note, does anyone know how to make your dupes let your auto-sweepers load stuff instead of doing it manually? I have an oxylite refinery, a submerged smart storage bin, and an autosweeper that can reach both. About half the time when the refinery drops a new chunk of oxylite on the ground, instead of letting the autosweeper put it in the storage bin, one of my dupes takes it on as a task, even if they're halfway across the map.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:05 AM

The simplest way is to have it behind a locked/permissions removed door - no access, no dupe tasks.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:27 PM

I have a pretty decent self-sustaining, largely automated base for 15 dupes now. I've found that by putting a couple of sheets of drywall behind my steel robo-miners on the surface and blowing CO2 exhast on them, I keep them cool enough to avoid overheating when removing regolith.

I'm on the verge of launching my first steam rocket and soon to have a thriving space program.

Next step - Switch to what I call "Iron Man mode". What I mean is every round one becomes available, I HAVE to select another dupe. I imagine resources will soon become very strained and I'll be forced to lock lots of violent, sick, stressed out dupes outside of the core base with all the amenities.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I have a pretty decent self-sustaining, largely automated base for 15 dupes now. I've found that by putting a couple of sheets of drywall behind my steel robo-miners on the surface and blowing CO2 exhast on them, I keep them cool enough to avoid overheating when removing regolith.
Yeah, I do the same thing, except I use my infectious polluted oxygen vents. I'm feeding all my CO2 to molten slickster ranches, to reclaim energy in the form of petroleum. And I've found that drywall behind the robo-miners doesn't seem to make any difference. I thought it would because it would make the gas stick around a little longer, but I tried some with and some without, and the ones without come to the same temperature equilibrium as the ones with.

Finally got some supercoolant, so I'm currently working on liquefying hydrogen and oxygen for rockets. I thought I could do both with the same cooling loop, but it turns out oxygen freezes before hydrogen liquefies. So now I need to tear the whole thing down and replace it with two separate supercoolant circuits.

Anyone have a good guide on space scanner sensitivity? I want to build more rockets, each with its own dedicated scanner to open/close the bunker doors, but if you start building space scanners close together the network quality of your meteor-sensing ones drop way down. Apparently the game considers them all to be part of the same network even if they're sensing different things.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcite View Post
Anyone have a good guide on space scanner sensitivity? I want to build more rockets, each with its own dedicated scanner to open/close the bunker doors, but if you start building space scanners close together the network quality of your meteor-sensing ones drop way down. Apparently the game considers them all to be part of the same network even if they're sensing different things.

I've had pretty good luck with just 2 spaced a bit apart scanning the skies for meteors.

I added a third scanner for my rocket ship, but it's pretty far from the other two. But generally I haven't had much trouble with the scanners.

I've launched my crappy steam rocket a few times. My main issue right now is dealing with the heat and fueling the rocket. I have a volcano next to the launch pad where I can pump in steam before the pipes break.

There are a couple of physics things that bother me about the game:
-Why do steam pipes break when water condenses in them? I can see the opposite happening or the pipes breaking when water freezes.

-Crude oil and petroleum are lighter than water IRL. Water should sink when it lands in petroleum.

-Gasses with a high pressure differential move too slowly. The game has no such thing as "explosive decompression.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I've had pretty good luck with just 2 spaced a bit apart scanning the skies for meteors.

I added a third scanner for my rocket ship, but it's pretty far from the other two. But generally I haven't had much trouble with the scanners.

I've launched my crappy steam rocket a few times. My main issue right now is dealing with the heat and fueling the rocket. I have a volcano next to the launch pad where I can pump in steam before the pipes break.

There are a couple of physics things that bother me about the game:
-Why do steam pipes break when water condenses in them? I can see the opposite happening or the pipes breaking when water freezes.

-Crude oil and petroleum are lighter than water IRL. Water should sink when it lands in petroleum.

-Gasses with a high pressure differential move too slowly. The game has no such thing as "explosive decompression.
So I guess when the scanner says its sensitivity is low, it doesn't really matter?
I followed Jahws' Surviving the Late Game guide on building steam rockets, and had no problems. In fact, I built his "convertible steam boiler" but with water rather than petroleum, and the tepidizer never ran once during the whole time I was using a steam rocket-- the water had so much heat it it that I had moved on to petroleum rocketry long before it ever got cool.

Not sure what you mean by dealing with the heat being a problem, unless your rocket engine is way down inside your base. Just build it out in space, and leave at least a 9 tile gap above the top of your basel.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:24 PM

Finally got the final achievement: 35/35. Some of these were tricky; others annoying. Taming a Gassy Moo requires a great deal of support infrastructure: space access, chlorine liquification, high performance rockets, biological bay, and some other things. Not to mention some finesse with the critter wrangling (it looks like it may be impossible to complete without sorta gaming it). But anyway, it worked out in the end.

On the more annoying end of the spectrum was "Job Suitability", which requires every dupe to do an errand in an atmo suit for 10 cycles in a row. The problem is that it is glitchy, and doesn't really track things properly, so you don't know if you're making progress or not. Some errands don't count, either. I did eventually complete it by making a giant, useless construction project that ate up everyone's time but ensured everyone had plenty to do.

As for the posts about rockets heating your base: I built a big block of metal just below my rocket exhaust, and coupled it to a steam chamber with a turbine. Auto-cools the whole thing and makes free power to boot. The metal can take a launch or two, even of a hydrogen rocket, without melting. Normally it cools off enough between launches that it doesn't matter.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:50 PM

Klei just released an update to ONI with a bunch of new automation options. Among them, a notifier building--exactly what I was asking for previously! They also added ribbon cables to combine 4 automation wires into one. Should make for some nice, compact setups.

I finally built something I'd been thinking about for a while: a (mostly) automated metal refinery. That is, something that doesn't require a dupe standing by continuously. Check it out in action.

No exploits, at least no intentional ones. It produces 6+ tons of refined copper a day, and only needs a dupe to work on it a small fraction of the time. It runs indefinitely, or at least until the ore runs out.

More properly, it's a refinery amplifier. The only way to get the heat needed is from refinery coolant, which can get very hot indeed. I use glass as the coolant since it's the only really hot liquid you can get without exploits (via the glass forge). But it's so efficient with heat (I use a 40-stage cross-flow heat exchanger) that I get something like a 30x return on refining (i.e., it refines 3000 kg for each 100 kg from the refinery building).

For some reason, it's also massively energy positive. I have to run two steam turbines on the output just to capture the waste heat. I'm not sure why, since copper and copper ore have about the same heat capacity, and I'm certainly not putting that much energy into it. I'm not complaining here, but I think I may have unintentionally exploited something.

Anyway, I've managed to refine 450 tons of copper so far and am actually running short on ore. Not that I have any real use for that much copper, but it's kinda cool to have a real industrial-scale converter going.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:59 AM

I'll have to check it out. I like ONI but it starts to feel like a job after awhile.

Last edited by Dark Sponge; 03-09-2020 at 12:00 PM.