Old 03-19-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
What if the rest of the primaries can't take place because either Trump declares a similar lockdown out of spite, or heaven forbid one is actually necessary?
Primaries are not required by the DNC rules. State party organizations can choose to select their delegates by a convention process. Four states did that instead of hold Democratic primaries in 2012 when Obama had no major challenger.

You obviously can't have one giant in person convention (Coronafest2020!). A little creativity makes doing it remotely seem like a reasonable workaround.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
A lot of people are calling on Sanders to stop his campaign, but this may not be just about him. If progressives are told he is no longer campaigning, will they still bother to vote for progressive House and Senate candidates in the primary? Look what happened in Illinois's 3rd District.
Yes, let's. A bunch of voters (myself included) who voted for Biden voted for Newman, or at least against Lipinski. So Newman won.

She did not win because so many progressives voted. They didn't. She won because the center Left prefers progressives representing us over conservatives, even if the conservative wears a D.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:30 PM

Oh snap!
Old 03-30-2020, 07:08 AM

Got to love how the very people who smeared Pete for months are now angry that he dropped out and endorsed Biden rather than staying in, splitting the vote and helping Sanders.

Quote:
You took a significant share of criticism on Twitter during the primary, particularly from members of your own Millennial generation, who saw you as a political opportunist, a corporate shill, and not being gay enough. Some even suggested you were affiliated with the CIA. What did you make of that?

You learn very early on in politics not to take criticism personally. I would much rather have somebody go online or write an article and say, “Your higher ed policy sucks and here’s why…” and critique it point-by-point. Then we could have a debate. But when it gets so over the top, the idea that I’m a CIA agent cleverly disguised as an intelligence officer in the military, or that I took down Blue Cross Blue Shield Michigan, or that I was somehow responsible for the Great Canadian Bread Pricing Scandal of 2002. Or perhaps the most bizarre one of all: That I had something to do with the app crashing in Iowa when no individual suffered more or was impacted more, I think, in terms of political trajectory as a consequence of that then than me and my campaign.

That’s where you learn that, okay, yes it is personal, but it’s still not about you. It’s about a cartoon character version of you that people are building up and then tearing back down as a way of expressing their frustration with things that are bigger than you or that you may remind them of. But it’s actually not about you, because the caricature they’re talking about doesn’t even resemble you.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Sanders is delusional and wont answer any questions directly:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/whoopi...ll-in-the-race

He wont answer why he is still in that race- just that issues need addressing*- which since he is a freaken SENATOR he can do without torpedoing Biden and letting trump win. He , even tho Whoopi confronts him on it, wont admit his staying in the race in 2016 hurt Clinton.

* and he is correct.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott View Post
Got to love how the very people who smeared Pete for months are now angry that he dropped out and endorsed Biden rather than staying in, splitting the vote and helping Sanders.
You didn't provide a link, but aren't you quoting Buttigieg? How does that say anything about what the people who 'smeared' Buttigieg during the campaign are saying about him now?

ETA: What, there's still a primary going on? Even if the Bernistas would like to think or hope otherwise, nobody's paying attention to it. The coronavirus may be tiny, but it's swallowed what's left of the campaign for the nomination.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 04-02-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
You didn't provide a link, but aren't you quoting Buttigieg? How does that say anything about what the people who 'smeared' Buttigieg during the campaign are saying about him now?

ETA: What, there's still a primary going on? Even if the Bernistas would like to think or hope otherwise, nobody's paying attention to it. The coronavirus may be tiny, but it's swallowed what's left of the campaign for the nomination.
Corona is a wildcard. I could actually see a lot of people coming to the conclusion "Well, maybe we need to burn down the house after all."

We're going to have nearly 30-40% of the workforce unemployed in the next several months, even if only for a matter of weeks. THat's the kind of shock event that could force people to ask the question 'Wait, why do we rely on our workplace for insurance again?'

It's one thing to be young and go through a recession - most people come through that experience without getting a major medical bill. But when dealing with a pandemic, it's a totally different story. It's the intersection between a failed set of economic policies and a failed healthcare policy at the same time, and it might make people think, and even demand something new.

There's a reason that some of these insurance companies are *claiming* they're going to treat COVID cases free of charge

*Watch them deny coverages for specific situations once the contagion fades from public view.

Some people might look at this and think that this pushes Bernie out of the race, and maybe it does - but it sure as hell doesn't push his ideas out of the race. His ideas are as front-and-center as ever
Old 04-02-2020, 06:15 PM

No, I see it as just the opposite. People are going to want the safe, the tried-and-true. Not a "revolution", political or otherwise.

One thing I've been thinking about: can you imagine if the curve of this virus in the U.S. had been shifted a few weeks to the left, hitting the impeachment trial, Iowa, NH, etc.? We actually kind of dodged a bullet there: what a mess that would have been.