Old 12-05-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
FYI, if anyone's trying to get rid of salvage by putting it in the three racks on the back wall of the base, those have high permissions set.
I think I added those recently, and didn't think to look at permissions.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:46 AM

I noticed that the most recent rack is only accessible to the top two ranks when I was dumping stuff from Hellfury.

Incidentally, I bought a bunch of Winter Packs, and got a Windfall temporary power as one of my prizes - holy CRAP. Extra Influence, extra salvage, extra recipes... I got two purples in one farm run.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:30 AM

Shadow Samaritan hit 50 last night! Woo! I joined a pickup PI team after Laura's farm was over, and managed the last half a level.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Speaking of Laura's farming, she can now solo an entire Bloody Rainbow without ever once touching either of her panic buttons or her self-heal. The last three missions, I didn't even need to use my ageless destiny power (I'm not sure what changed there; I don't think I made any End-related upgrades). And she's starting to get pretty well into the incarnate abilities, with some corresponding big damage increases (since my survivability is obviously fine, I'm putting everything in my incarnates into maxing damage).
Old 12-26-2019, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

And I finally came up with a Peacebringer concept that's interesting to me. Haxaano'arilamn isn't a merger of a Kheldian and a human. He's a merger of a Kheldian and a Maaxigada'arzildilo. When they discovered that Earth was in the midst of fighting off the Shivans, they sent their two greatest champions to help in the fight.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
And I finally came up with a Peacebringer concept that's interesting to me. Haxaano'arilamn isn't a merger of a Kheldian and a human. He's a merger of a Kheldian and a Maaxigada'arzildilo. When they discovered that Earth was in the midst of fighting off the Shivans, they sent their two greatest champions to help in the fight.
It's different, at least. For my one Peacebringer on Live, I went with dying human + dying Kheldian = just barely not-dying Peacebringer because it was an easy justification for the Peacebringer being a puny level 1 hero. (And because I like comeback stories, I suppose.) Maybe yours has restrictions on their hero license until they prove they're not going to cause too much collateral damage.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:11 PM

Got my brute his alpha slot over the weekend. He's only my second 50, but a fun switch from the blaster.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

I've been finding myself merit-rich but inf-poor, so I decided to remedy that. But I figured, instead of just selling converters, I ought to research how to use them myself, and cut out the middleman. And it turns out it's a lot easier and a lot more profitable and reliable than I thought: A lot of places list the basics, but none really boils down just how simple it is. It's often called "converter roulette", but it's actually possible to remove luck from the process entirely, at least for certain steps of the process.

The key is that conversion always keeps the level the same. And for most set categories (ranged damage, PBAoE, healing, etc.), in the level 10-14 range, there are exactly two sets possible, one uncommon and one rare. So if you have an uncommon piece in that level range, and convert it within type (the option that costs two converters), you're guaranteed to get a rare. Given the prices of yellow enhancements, this by itself is almost always profitable. But if you want to take it further, you can start taking risks, and take that new rare you have, and convert it within rarity (costing 1 converter), until you get something that's worth enough (the guides usually say to aim for something with a 2 million inf or more selling price, which seems about right from my limited experience).

Full process: Set the AH to show you level 10 enhancements (you could go 10-14, or for some categories 10-19, but since the AH auto-converts level, any one level is good enough). Put in orders for everything. Whenever you log in, pick up whatever you've bought, and put in replacement orders for more of those things. Open the convert window, drag your level 10 yellows in one at a time, and convert to level 10 oranges. If you happen to accidentally get one of the few categories for which this doesn't work (recharge intensive pet, sniper, targeted AoE, accurate healing, accurate to-hit debuff, accurate defense debuff), then just convert it in-rarity first to (almost certainly) get one of the ones that does work.

Then, drag all of your new oranges into the AH, and look each up. If it's above 2 million, list it. If it's below, grab it back into your inventory. Then go through everything in your inventory, and change it once within rarity, drag all those into the AH, and repeat.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:27 PM

Flaminatrix spent Sunday running through Crimson's entire Malta arc. Great arc, lots of fun.

Afterward I did a major respec. My primary purpose was to get rid of Jump Kick, which I think I took as a prerequisite for Acrobatics (to get more defense), but it was at a late level and I didn't realize I wouldn't have another power pick coming. I also took the opportunity to skip picking Fire Breath from my primary PS and Combustion from my secondary, as I never use either power. That all allowed me to take three new pool powers, so I picked up Hover (which I probably should have taken much earlier) and Afterburner, and also Melt Armor from the Flame Mastery epic pool. It also freed up some slots, so I was able to add 6th slots to some powers and complete the sets I had in them, giving Flaminatrix a net improvement from the extra set bonuses. It was nice to actually have enough Inf to immediately buy the attuned IOs I needed to complete those sets!

I've also been able to get enough catalysts to improve both ATO sets to purples, and I'm 4/6 toward completing the Apocalypse purple set - I was quite happy to discover that I could use merits to purchase the recipes from the merit vending machine, instead of hoping for drops or paying large sums on the AH.

Oh, and I think I've finally remembered how Flaminatrix had 314 million Inf on live, despite having less time at 50 then (she hit 50 not long before the shutdown) than she does now on HC. I think it was just the fact that, at that stage of the game's life, longtime players were so filthy rich that they were casually tossing 100-million-Inf bids at purple recipes on the AH. So I didn't have to actually sell that many items to get that amount.

For my lower-level alts, I'm keeping my eyes open for PvP recipes. Holy crap, PvPers will pay outrageous sums for those.

Last edited by Mister Rik; 01-06-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:16 PM

Forgot to mention - I've dispensed with using a 32-inch flatscreen TV as my monitor, and have gone back to my original 24-inch monitor. My eyes were bugging me all the time, and I started to suspect that having such a large screen right in front of my face (space limitations meant I couldn't move it back) was forcing a whole lot of "extreme" eye movement in order to take in everything at the edges of the screen. It's been two days now, and my eyes feel much better.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:06 AM

Nice! Congrats on the respec and the monitor switch!

I have been scarce the past couple of weeks due to the holidays, but I plan to jump back in in earnest next week - gotta get Shadow's Alpha unlocked, and he has a whole bunch of missions on deck with AVs..
Old 01-07-2020, 01:03 PM

Speaking of those PvP recipes I mentioned, one dropped for Bruised Violet, my main villain (currently level 29). Inspired by Chronos' conversion comments, I crafted the IO and then converted it within the set until I got the one with the proc (it took 3 conversions). I put it up on the AH, and it got me a nice 12 million inf (as opposed to the ~4 million the original recipe itself was going for).
Old 01-07-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
Forgot to mention - I've dispensed with using a 32-inch flatscreen TV as my monitor, and have gone back to my original 24-inch monitor. My eyes were bugging me all the time, and I started to suspect that having such a large screen right in front of my face (space limitations meant I couldn't move it back) was forcing a whole lot of "extreme" eye movement in order to take in everything at the edges of the screen. It's been two days now, and my eyes feel much better.
For me 24” is the sweet spot; any bigger and my eyes bug me. I recently grabbed a really nice 4K gaming monitor from Amazon that is super crisp. I wanted a curved screen but that was too speedy.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Heh, Peskipiksi is going through Crimson's arc, too. I'm still eagerly awaiting the promises I've heard of one with a giant monster ambush. She's 49 now, and I've gotten her specced out in her endgame gear, aside from a handful of level-50-onlies. Though I'm not sure what last power I want for her.

She's also one heck of a controller. I've got a dozen different powers, including an always-on aura, all with stun procs, two hold powers and an immobilize power each with two additional hold procs, and three other powers with hold procs, and anything that manages to stay standing past all of that is quickly drained to 0 endurance. Enemies are doing a lot of glaring at her menacingly, and occasionally wising up and trying (in slow motion) to run away.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

So, uhm... Been a while. A long while. Since I've played CoH. Thinking of making a comeback. I take there's a Dopers' guild?
Old 01-08-2020, 06:10 PM

Yup, we're C.E.C.I.L. on the Everlasting server. My global handle is @RikOz - gimme a holla and I'll invite you if you do decide to join in. I'm on quite a lot - for now anyway; my job will be picking back up again pretty soon.

On a related note, I just noticed that Balanced apparently stepped down and made me (well, Flaminatrix) the new Perfect Master. When did this happen?

Last edited by Mister Rik; 01-08-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
On a related note, I just noticed that Balanced apparently stepped down and made me (well, Flaminatrix) the new Perfect Master. When did this happen?
When I got busy and didn't log in for too long, and you were the next one to sign in.

(I will be back, but between holidays, writing tasks, and other games, I've been letting Bal rest on their laurels.)
Old 01-08-2020, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
On a related note, I just noticed that Balanced apparently stepped down and made me (well, Flaminatrix) the new Perfect Master.
HA, HA! [/nelson]
Old 01-08-2020, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

OK, so maybe YOU can fix the permissions on those three salvage racks, then.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
When I got busy and didn't log in for too long, and you were the next one to sign in.
That would explain it! (And that's what I figured happened, once I looked at the group settings.)

Amusingly, that's pretty much the exact way I became the guild leader of the Burning Dog Legion, the SDMB WoW guild. Blizzard implemented a feature that allowed somebody else to depose the GL and take their place if the GL didn't log in for 60 or 90 days, can't remember which. I was eventually the only one still playing the game regularly, so I took the throne once it was apparent that none of the other occasionally-logged-in were interested.

Quote:
OK, so maybe YOU can fix the permissions on those three salvage racks, then.
First thing I did
Old 01-09-2020, 08:14 AM

I, for one, welcome our new combustible overlords.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yup, we're C.E.C.I.L. on the Everlasting server. My global handle is @RikOz - gimme a holla and I'll invite you if you do decide to join in. I'm on quite a lot - for now anyway; my job will be picking back up again pretty soon.

Fun!

Now... I gotta come up with a character concept. I have so much trouble with that!
Old 01-12-2020, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

No, you need to come up with a whole bunch of character concepts. An account can hold a thousand different alts.

Are you having trouble with the powers aspect, the backstory aspect, or both? Like, I see a lot of patriotic-themed heroes, but those could have almost any sort of powers. And even if you decide, say, that you want fire powers, I think there's a fire/fire option for every non-epic archetype, that would of course all play entirely differently.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:13 PM

Yes, lots of character concepts! I'm up to 83 so far, and the ideas just keep coming. Granted, some of them are mostly "joke" characters, like my "evil chef" villain who uses radiation and poison powers. His name is "Recipe for Disaster". And I recently rolled up "Sump'n Claus", inspired by this SNL clip
Old 01-12-2020, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Recipe for Disaster could team up with the cthulhu- theme'd master of cuisine, Chefolopod!

But seriously. I keep thinking 'lightning throwing mage' (cos I love lightning / electricity powers) but I don't want to do the 'fantasy person transported into a superhero world' nor do I want to do a joke character.

I also really dig martial artists. But again, the backstory aspects seem to come out super-cliche for me.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:36 PM

I also have Major Marinara, a Water Blast/Fiery Aura sentinel. Here's his backstory:

Major Enrico Ravioli was an officer in the Italian army. In his spare time he practiced the science of cooking, and after retiring from the army he dedicated himself to perfecting his marinara recipe. He was ultimately so successful that his sauce attained near-sentience and formed a rudimentary mental bond with Maj. Ravioli. Enrico soon discovered he could telepathically control his sauce, and his military background made him realize his sauce could be weaponized.

Now he works to rehabilitate criminals by exposing them to the joy of cooking!

No, Major Marinara is not a Pastafarian. He's a Raguan Catholic.

His "water" blast is colored red (as close as I could get to the color of marinara; alas, there's no way to match the consistency), and his fiery auras are colored blue, because he's cooking with gas.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:50 AM

I got my space/time controller, Geodesic, up to level 24 or so, and realized... I don't like the powersets. At low levels he was kind of fun, but at the mid-levels the VFX are just kind of ugly, and this offends my soul. I did a taskforce with a group, and found myself just spamming his heal power over and over while keeping up the Time's Juncture aura. It was pretty boring.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, that's my "main" character's build, too. Where by "main" I mean my first character, whose name is used for my global handle. And like you, I got a bit bored by him, too. With the result that I now have four or five characters higher-leveled than him (I'm not sure off the top of my head whether Colonel Murphy has passed him up yet or not). And I have a tank that I got even more bored with, who is stuck at an even lower level. When that happens, just make a different character.

ArrMatey!, my lightning blaster is indeed a "fantasy person transported into a superhero world", though she's a fey, not a wizard. It's a perfectly valid superhero origin. But if you prefer, you could have nonmagical lightning powers, instead: You could be an inventor who made an electrical glove, for instance, or have been struck by lightning 17 times as a child, or just be a mutant and not worry about trying to explain it. Or, heck, just be a Natural hero who's gotten really, really good at shuffling his feet on the carpet.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrMatey! View Post
But seriously. I keep thinking 'lightning throwing mage' (cos I love lightning / electricity powers) but I don't want to do the 'fantasy person transported into a superhero world' nor do I want to do a joke character.
Science Origin: A Frankenstein's-Creature type animation process imbued new life and the power to control electricity into unliving flesh/chemicals. The newborn being either rebelled against its creator or took up its dying creator's mission, depending on your alignment choices.

Magic Origin: A newly restored Oranbegan spirit is revolted by the way the Circle obtained their new body, and sets out to find a way to free/restore their host, while trying to atone by using their ancient wizardly powers to help others along the way.

Tech Origin: While sifting through antique documents for a thesis, an engineering student stumbled across the lost notes of Nikola Tesla, and implemented several designs before the notes were stolen by [Nefarious Evildoer]. Strapping on a Self-Exciting Dynamo and a pair of Wardenclyffe Gauntlets, he set out to get the notes out of the Wrong Hands.

Mutant and Natural Origin: Mutant stories are more about the consequences of developing the power, so it could be almost anything. Natural stories for a lightning flinger would almost all be jokey, I think.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:31 PM

You are a normal person. Your carpet, however, has super-powers...probably from all those years of Blasters lying face-down on it, drooling. (Perhaps you bought it used after an office park had a going-out-of-business sale.)

Walking on your carpet has built up such a prodigious static charge that you can now release lightning from your body for hours at a time before needing to head home and recharge (by pacing moodily on the carpet while brooding about your arch-enemy).
Old 01-14-2020, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
You are a normal person. Your carpet, however, has super-powers...probably from all those years of Blasters lying face-down on it, drooling. (Perhaps you bought it used after an office park had a going-out-of-business sale.)

Walking on your carpet has built up such a prodigious static charge that you can now release lightning from your body for hours at a time before needing to head home and recharge (by pacing moodily on the carpet while brooding about your arch-enemy).
Did I -mention- I was trying to stay away from gag heroes?

(Though the idea of naming such a character 'Magic Carpet Man' is amusing.)
Old 01-30-2020, 07:43 AM

I now have four of my six toons at level 50 with an unlocked Alpha Slot! Hell, I might need to make some new alts soon.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:35 PM

My magic characters have all either been someone descended from a magical being (like Igneus who is the son of an Ifrit) or a modern day person who learned magical skills, like a Dr. Strange or John Constantine. I’ve never been a big fan of “I escaped from Narnia” kind of back stories.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:49 PM

Only two full 50s, my beloved Storm/Dark Defender the Stormy Knight and a fairly dull farming Brute named Silver Dollar, neither of whom has been respecced for set builds nor have I dabbled in Incarnates yet. My playtime has been a bit less lately, and when I am online I don't feel like I can commit uninterrupted time, so I do a few missions at a time or even street hunt. I will team but am also content solo.

Clearly I am not leveling optimally, but I do have fun just using the powers. Been playing my Grav/Storm Controller Windy (using gravity as an analog for barometric pressure and wind -- she can hold people in place with intense PSI or fling a car at them). It's a visually entertaining and (for a Controller) pretty hard-hitting.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:28 AM

I'm back, baby!

Late to the party, but I like to make a fashionable entrance.

Ever since CoH was (unofficially) resurrected, I've been fit to plotz wanting to download and play. As a bit of a technophobe, I was reliant on my partner to get it up and running for me, but he had concerns about both the legal issues and security.

Bless him, he kept a close eye on the situation all these months, did diligent research, and eventually concluded that it was reasonably safe. What finally tipped the scales for him was Dredd's excellent download guide and FAQ.

Of course there's no guarantee that NCSoft won't decide to thump us, but obviously that's a risk we're all willing to take for the greater good of saving Paragon City.

My global handle is HeroicBeing. Hope to see you all soon!

Last edited by Licentious Ectomorph; 02-23-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Personally, I think that a case could be made for legality, based on either the concept of deliberately-abandoned property, or adverse possession (AKA squatter's rights). I doubt there's precedent for either being applied to intellectual property, but then again, there's also no precedent for them not being applied.

But welcome back, Licentious Ectomorph! I'll be sure to invite you to C.E.C.I.L. the next time I'm on.

I'm now up to four level 50s, all of whom have incarnates as far as hybrid, and two more in the 30s. My mastermind in particular got a LOT more effective when I respecced and put some care into his enhancements, and I also realized that goldsiders can do Summer Blockbusters with Red or Blue, and that MMs are very effective in SBB, which make me happy. My controller is also improving, though his real breakpoint is going to come in one more level, when he gets Chrono Shift.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrMatey! View Post
I also really dig martial artists. But again, the backstory aspects seem to come out super-cliche for me.
One of my old alts was a Natural MA/SR retired Green Beret who joined the Reserves to help fight the Rikti. Super Jump stood in for being dropped by parachute.

His backstory was basically two verses from "The Ballad of the Green Berets" adjusted for going solo.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-23-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I'm now up to four level 50s, all of whom have incarnates as far as hybrid, and two more in the 30s.
I'm getting closer to my 2nd and 3rd 50s - "Stabby Steffi" (dual blades/super reflexes scrapper) and "Mandy Manslapper" (martial arts/ninjitsu scrapper) are up to 45 and 44, respectively. Still going to be a bit slow going on them, since I'm splitting my attention between them, for mainly RP reasons. They are BFFs who started fighting crime together, so I keep them leveled together.

Close behind them are Roentgen Bull (SS/rad brute) and Teardrops (SS/Inv brute), both at 37.

Last night I got my vigilante, Captain Apple (staff fighting/willpower brute), to 30. Captain Apple is actually a superhero I created, on paper, about 30 years ago, back when I was still collecting comic books. He was intended to be a local hero, based in my hometown, so his CoH bio reflects that:

"Hailing from Wenatchee, Washington, the 'Apple Capitol of the World', Captain Apple started out as a low-level, small-town vigilante, trying to do his part to combat crime. After Wenatchee and its orchards were mostly obliterated in an errant Rikti attack (he has since learned that the mistake was due to the fact that the word "apple" unfortunately sounds very much like the Rikti word for "munitions", and the aliens thought they were attacking a major military target), he moved to Paragon City where he continues his efforts to fight crime."
Old 02-23-2020, 08:20 PM

I love Wenatchee. The Rail Station is one of my favorite restaurants ever. My wife and I like to visit Cashmere now and then and we usually visit Wenatchee and Leavenworth too. Oh, and the Pybus Public Market is also great, we’ve been there multiple times.

I really support a Wenatchee super hero!
Old 02-24-2020, 08:23 AM

I'm now at 5 Incarnate Level 50's, and one Level 45. I might have to make some new toons soon.

Welcome back, LE!
Old 02-24-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I love Wenatchee. The Rail Station is one of my favorite restaurants ever. My wife and I like to visit Cashmere now and then and we usually visit Wenatchee and Leavenworth too. Oh, and the Pybus Public Market is also great, we’ve been there multiple times.

I really support a Wenatchee super hero!
Ha, I interviewed for a cooking job at the Rail Station a few years ago (2014). Didn't get it. The restaurant hadn't opened yet - the owner/chef is the same guy that owned the previous restaurant in the same location, and he'd shut it down and was remodeling to reopen with a new name and concept. He'd forgotten I was coming, so I had to go looking for him, and I caught him just as he was about to get in his car. The interview was mostly 45 minutes of him talking about himself (including him warning me that he's an asshole).

Didn't get the job, but now I work right next door at the Wenatchee Convention Center. I worked there 2006-2013, left for a couple years to cook in a retirement home, then came back in 2015 and have remained there. I have a coworker who cooked briefly at the Rail Station, and he confirmed the "asshole" bit for me
Old 02-24-2020, 09:50 AM

Oh well, at least the food and service is good.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:22 PM

For anybody who hasn't heard about it yet, Homecoming has formed a Folding@Home team to help with coronavirus research:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com...me-team-today/

I've got it up and running on my PC, and since my old iMac has been sitting here doing nothing, I went ahead and got F@H going on that machine as well.