Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-11-2019, 06:26 PM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,325

My Awesome New Time Travel Novel


The Traveler is coming out as an e-book from Rogue Phoenix Press next month, but the links are already up for ordering it on several sites.

It's the story of a Time Traveler whose Time Machine has broken down -- one of his circuit boards has literally fried -- in Imperial Rome. His only way to get home is to rebuild it using whatever he can find or construct in ancient Rome. The story is told from the point of view of the Roman street kid who is helping him out. The book is nominally YA, but can be read and enjoyed by anyone.

Here's where you can find it:

Amazon -- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W5K68ZY

Barnes & Noble -- https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the...=2940161188439

Apple -- https://books.apple.com/us/book/the-...=11&app=itunes

Kobo -- https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the-traveler-57

Google Play -- https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=6EqoDwAAQBAJ




I'll let you know when it's officially released.

In addition to this, I've just sent back the galleys to my science fiction short story Yamadori, which will be appearing in Analog shortly.
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"
  #2  
Old 08-12-2019, 05:59 AM
glee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Obama country
Posts: 15,912
I know writing is hard work, but describing your book as 'awesome' is a real turn-off.

"You're a writer when someone else says you're a writer."
"Your book is awesome when someone else says it."
  #3  
Old 08-12-2019, 08:41 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 87,349
Eh, from Cal, I'm willing to take his word on it.
  #4  
Old 08-12-2019, 10:43 AM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
I know writing is hard work, but describing your book as 'awesome' is a real turn-off.

"You're a writer when someone else says you're a writer."
"Your book is awesome when someone else says it."
If I were going to be snarky, I'd say you should tell that to Exapno. But I'm not, so I won't.
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"
  #5  
Old 08-12-2019, 04:48 PM
Baker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Tottering-on-the-Brink
Posts: 20,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by glee View Post
I know writing is hard work, but describing your book as 'awesome' is a real turn-off.

"You're a writer when someone else says you're a writer."
"Your book is awesome when someone else says it."
Someone sounds jealous.

I will look forward to hearing about the release of the book. I love time travel stories. Do you happen to have a major in world history, or studies that followed Roman history in particular?
__________________
At least my dog loves me.
  #6  
Old 08-12-2019, 08:55 PM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Someone sounds jealous.

I will look forward to hearing about the release of the book. I love time travel stories. Do you happen to have a major in world history, or studies that followed Roman history in particular?
No I studied Latin in High School and visited the Roman sites in Southern France, Rome, and near Vesuvius about the same time. I read a lot of classics in college, both in and out of class, and have kept it up ever since. I've written two books on mythology (although only one has been published), and have written other stories set in Imperial Rome. I was strongly influenced by L. Sprague de Camp's Lest Darkness Fall, a time travel novel in which the hero finds himself I just the right time and place to prevent the Fall of Rome, and I was impressed by his struggle to survive and thrive in Rome.

It just occurred to me that I'd never seen anyone treat what seems to me a very obvious fear and problem of time travel -- what if your time machine b4reaks down? And you know that no one will be coming to your rescue? Could you repair it on your own, without modern technology?
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"
  #7  
Old 08-12-2019, 09:30 PM
Thudlow Boink's Avatar
Thudlow Boink is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 28,633
Cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
If I were going to be snarky, I'd say you should tell that to Exapno. But I'm not, so I won't.
(In case anyone misses the reference...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I was strongly influenced by L. Sprague de Camp's Lest Darkness Fall
Yeah, I couldn't help being reminded of that book when I read the description of yours
Quote:
It just occurred to me that I'd never seen anyone treat what seems to me a very obvious fear and problem of time travel -- what if your time machine b4reaks down? And you know that no one will be coming to your rescue? Could you repair it on your own, without modern technology?
I seem to recall one or more of the Family Guy episodes featuring Stewie's time machine involving him having to repair it to avoid being stranded in the past. And of course Marty McFly has to get his time-traveling DeLorean to work using 1950's technology in Back To The Future. But those aren't really the same kind of story that you seem to be talking about here.
  #8  
Old 08-12-2019, 09:37 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 87,349
I think that Gary Larson, at least, addressed that point. Though of course he didn't address it in very much depth.
  #9  
Old 08-13-2019, 07:27 AM
DPRK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
It just occurred to me that I'd never seen anyone treat what seems to me a very obvious fear and problem of time travel -- what if your time machine b4reaks down? And you know that no one will be coming to your rescue? Could you repair it on your own, without modern technology?
Meh, you don't even need to carry any spare time-travel parts on the trip. If your time machine breaks down, all you need is to remember to do like Bill & Ted and bring yourself everything you need via-- time machine.
  #10  
Old 08-13-2019, 10:27 AM
swampspruce's Avatar
swampspruce is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cool Pool
Posts: 4,734
All you talented writers are making me jealous! I'll be downloading your book tonight!
__________________
“The less promise and potency in the self, the more imperative is the need for pride. The core of pride is self-rejection.” -Bruce Lee
  #11  
Old 08-13-2019, 03:45 PM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
All you talented writers are making me jealous! I'll be downloading your book tonight!
In my case, I don't think you can just yet. You can pre-order, I think, but the publication date is sometime next month.
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"
  #12  
Old 08-13-2019, 04:15 PM
FastDan1's Avatar
FastDan1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Dallas
Posts: 92
Just pre-ordered. Download happens on September 8.
  #13  
Old 08-14-2019, 09:24 AM
swampspruce's Avatar
swampspruce is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cool Pool
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
In my case, I don't think you can just yet. You can pre-order, I think, but the publication date is sometime next month.
Saw that. I'll be putting in my pre-order, then.
__________________
“The less promise and potency in the self, the more imperative is the need for pride. The core of pride is self-rejection.” -Bruce Lee
  #14  
Old 08-23-2019, 09:28 PM
Bear_Nenno's Avatar
Bear_Nenno is online now
Endowment Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bavaria
Posts: 9,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
Saw that. I'll be putting in my pre-order, then.
There's a time travel joke in there somewhere.
  #15  
Old 08-31-2019, 06:50 PM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,325
In addition to this, I've edited the galleys of my upcoming Analog story, Yamadori, which should be out in a couple of months.

I just heard from a publisher interested in my Frankenstein novella, A Light so Brilliant and Wondrous.

And Optics and Photonics News is running my article on the pop culture trope of using Ultraviolet Light to kill vampires in its October issue.

Lotsa stuff coming out shortly.
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"

Last edited by CalMeacham; 08-31-2019 at 06:51 PM.
  #16  
Old 09-05-2019, 02:34 AM
Fugazi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,452
It's out now. I just ordered it and it's in my Nook App.
  #17  
Old 09-05-2019, 10:36 AM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugazi View Post
It's out now. I just ordered it and it's in my Nook App.
Wow!

News to me. Thanks for telling me. You'd think my publisher would let me know.

[I]John Gielgud] I'll alert the media. [/John Gielgud]
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"
  #18  
Old 09-05-2019, 10:32 PM
Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 32,193
Congrats on the many sales! Rogue Phoenix Press is a prestige venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
If I were going to be snarky, I'd say you should tell that to Exapno. But I'm not, so I won't.
Heh. I was quoting somebody, so I'm legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Wow!

News to me. Thanks for telling me. You'd think my publisher would let me know.
I knew before my publisher that my book as being sold on some platforms. Mainly because I bothered to look and they didn't. Publishers.
  #19  
Old 09-08-2019, 11:02 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 87,349
If it's being sold electronically anyway, shouldn't there at least be an automated e-mail saying "Congratulations! You've made your first sale. Here are some tips to generate word-of-mouth and keep the sales coming:"
  #20  
Old 09-08-2019, 12:00 PM
Lightnin''s Avatar
Lightnin' is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 7,553
I preordered it when this thread first appeared, and started reading it yesterday. I'm loving it so far.
__________________
What's the good of Science if nobody gets hurt?
  #21  
Old 09-09-2019, 11:54 AM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
If it's being sold electronically anyway, shouldn't there at least be an automated e-mail saying "Congratulations! You've made your first sale. Here are some tips to generate word-of-mouth and keep the sales coming:"
Ya'd think so, wouldn't you?
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"
  #22  
Old 09-13-2019, 06:57 PM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,325
I got my first hard copy today!!!!!!!

Yay!
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"
  #23  
Old 11-07-2019, 01:04 PM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,325
Copies of The Traveler are now on the shelf at Wicked Good Books in Salem, MA.
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"
  #24  
Old 11-07-2019, 03:47 PM
Enderw24 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: KC. MO -094 35.3 39 4.9
Posts: 10,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
It just occurred to me that I'd never seen anyone treat what seems to me a very obvious fear and problem of time travel -- what if your time machine b4reaks down? And you know that no one will be coming to your rescue? Could you repair it on your own, without modern technology?
Well sure. You just need a bolt of lightning. Unfortunately you never know when or where it's going to strike.
__________________
Puedo tenerz las hamburguesas conz queso?!?

Last edited by Enderw24; 11-07-2019 at 03:48 PM.
  #25  
Old 11-07-2019, 04:59 PM
AHunter3's Avatar
AHunter3 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: NY (Manhattan) NY USA
Posts: 20,982
Ordering the paperback version now.
  #26  
Old 11-08-2019, 07:09 AM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderw24 View Post
Well sure. You just need a bolt of lightning. Unfortunately you never know when or where it's going to strike.
Wouldn't work for me. I still pronounce "Gigawatts" with a hard "G"
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"
  #27  
Old 11-12-2019, 06:31 PM
Thudlow Boink's Avatar
Thudlow Boink is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 28,633
I finished it the other day, and enjoyed it. A good story of its kind, very readable, and with a satisfying ending.

Question: Is the title "The Traveler" a deliberate parallel to "The Martian"? (In some ways it's a similar kind of story, as the book itself implies.)
  #28  
Old 11-13-2019, 07:11 AM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
I finished it the other day, and enjoyed it. A good story of its kind, very readable, and with a satisfying ending.

Question: Is the title "The Traveler" a deliberate parallel to "The Martian"? (In some ways it's a similar kind of story, as the book itself implies.)
I honestly don't know. The title just suggested itself and seemed right. There are other books with that title out there, but I wasn't worried about confusion.

Certainly the parallels occurred to me, and when I described the book to potential agents I made the comparison*. But I really was inspired much more by Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and L. Sprague de Camp's Lest Darkness Fall. I still have not yet actually read Andrew Weir's book.




*I sent the book out to -- no lie -- over 350 agents. That's 350 targeted agents -- ones who have expressed an interest in this type of book, or who I had reason to think might handle one like this. I didn't send it willy-nilly to any agent, or any YA agent. None of them were interested, except one who liked it up until the ending. "Would you be interested if I changed the ending?" I asked. "No," they replied. So I found a publisher on my own. That's three books so far I've had published without an agent.
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"

Last edited by CalMeacham; 11-13-2019 at 07:12 AM.
  #29  
Old 11-13-2019, 07:37 AM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,325
Thank you very much, by the way, Thudlow for your kind review. Could you put a review on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads, or one of the other internet sites? It would help.
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"
  #30  
Old 11-13-2019, 08:20 AM
AHunter3's Avatar
AHunter3 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: NY (Manhattan) NY USA
Posts: 20,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
*I sent the book out to -- no lie -- over 350 agents. That's 350 targeted agents -- ones who have expressed an interest in this type of book, or who I had reason to think might handle one like this. I didn't send it willy-nilly to any agent, or any YA agent. None of them were interested, except one who liked it up until the ending. "Would you be interested if I changed the ending?" I asked. "No," they replied. So I found a publisher on my own. That's three books so far I've had published without an agent.
*nods*

Sending query letters to agents is an utter waste of effort and time, or at least it is for some of us author-folk. I was approaching 2,000 query letters when I ceased to bother trying in that direction. Querying small publishers directly it's been more like 60 total, and that resulted in three signed contracts and nearly that many offers.

Last edited by AHunter3; 11-13-2019 at 08:20 AM.
  #31  
Old 11-15-2019, 08:35 PM
Rocketeer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 7,303
Just read your book, and Mrs R is starting it now. But neither of us could figure out what the small many-colored disc is that Tenobius gives to the narrator. Is it supposed to be something that I should recognize?

Also, you should get around to reading The Martian. Pulls you right along.

Last edited by Rocketeer; 11-15-2019 at 08:36 PM.
  #32  
Old 11-15-2019, 08:52 PM
don't ask is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,495
No Kindle version is available in Australia. If one was I would grab a copy.
  #33  
Old 11-17-2019, 05:47 PM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
Just read your book, and Mrs R is starting it now. But neither of us could figure out what the small many-colored disc is that Tenobius gives to the narrator. Is it supposed to be something that I should recognize?

Also, you should get around to reading The Martian. Pulls you right along.
It's a diffraction grating. I didn't originally intend this, but my first readers interpreted it as a CD or DVD, so that's what it became in the final book (and on the book cover)
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"
  #34  
Old 11-28-2019, 01:35 AM
armedmonkey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: St. Simon's Island, GA
Posts: 6,884
I just bought it on Kindle. I haven't read it yet, but hey I'll get around to it. I love Sci-Fi, but I don't much like time travel novels. However, your premise seems almost like "A Yankee in King Arthur's Court" thing which I do like. Added interest if the narrator is a local instead of the time traveler. Anyway, it's 99 cents on Amazon, so I I'll read it and give you my review later.
  #35  
Old 12-02-2019, 07:24 AM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by armedmonkey View Post
I just bought it on Kindle. I haven't read it yet, but hey I'll get around to it. I love Sci-Fi, but I don't much like time travel novels. However, your premise seems almost like "A Yankee in King Arthur's Court" thing which I do like. Added interest if the narrator is a local instead of the time traveler. Anyway, it's 99 cents on Amazon, so I I'll read it and give you my review later.
Thank you. I look forward to it.
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"
  #36  
Old 12-19-2019, 07:18 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 87,349
OK, time to get myself a Christmas present, too, while I'm shopping for everyone else. I'm going for the paperback version, so it'll still work in case I'm ever stranded in ancient Rome and need an instruction manual.
  #37  
Old 12-29-2019, 09:26 PM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,325
I recently stumbled across a book entitled How to Invent Everything: A Survival Guide for the Stranded Time Traveler by Ryan North. I mentioned it to my wife, you told some friends about it, and they got me a copy for Christmas. So now I have another read. I haven't really gotten into it yet, so I don't know how it might relate to my own.
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"
  #38  
Old 12-30-2019, 12:25 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 87,349
Question: Is this print-on-demand? 11 days after ordering it, Amazon still hasn't shipped it. Granted, this is their busy season, but that still seems unreasonable, if they're dealing with already-existing copies.
  #39  
Old 12-31-2019, 06:45 AM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Question: Is this print-on-demand? 11 days after ordering it, Amazon still hasn't shipped it. Granted, this is their busy season, but that still seems unreasonable, if they're dealing with already-existing copies.
I'm not sure. I think it may be. I got my hard-print copies really fast, but that was before the Christmas rush. Rogue Phoenix intended this to be mainly an e-book, but I've gotten quite a few print copies for myself to give out and put on the local store shelves.
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"
  #40  
Old 01-05-2020, 12:52 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 87,349
Mine arrived today! Well, yesterday, actually, but I had it delivered to my mom's address because there's no good way to get packages at my apartment, and I just stopped by Mom's to pick it up.
  #41  
Old 01-14-2020, 11:11 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 87,349
And I can now definitively answer that it is, in fact, print-on-demand. The very last page of my copy says "Made in the USA, Monee, IL, 29 December 2019".

There were a lot of kerning errors, and one or two other typos I noticed. And I suspect that I found at least a few other Easter eggs you snuck in, and there were a few things that I expected you to include, that you didn't. Overall, very good.
  #42  
Old 01-14-2020, 11:26 AM
AHunter3's Avatar
AHunter3 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: NY (Manhattan) NY USA
Posts: 20,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
There were a lot of kerning errors, and one or two other typos I noticed.
I noticed that too. Words and phrases that would show up l ooki ng like t his.

Not a reflection on the author but a bit slapdash on the part of the publisher.

Last edited by AHunter3; 01-14-2020 at 11:26 AM.
  #43  
Old 01-14-2020, 11:59 AM
Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 32,193
Last time I checked my Amazon page I saw a "Customers who bought this item also bought" The Traveler notice.

I'm assuming we both have the good people of the Dope to thank.

So, thank you, good people of the Dope!
  #44  
Old 01-17-2020, 08:30 AM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
And I can now definitively answer that it is, in fact, print-on-demand. The very last page of my copy says "Made in the USA, Monee, IL, 29 December 2019".

There were a lot of kerning errors, and one or two other typos I noticed. And I suspect that I found at least a few other Easter eggs you snuck in, and there were a few things that I expected you to include, that you didn't. Overall, very good.
Thanks for those kind words.

Could you let me know what those "things you expected to find, but didn't"? (You can send a message) It's also possible you didn't find all the Easter eggs.
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"
  #45  
Old 01-17-2020, 02:42 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 87,349
Possible Easter egg: Was
SPOILER:
Argus' number system a reference to some known but unexplained ancient documents in an unknown script? I was thinking Linear A at the time, but on double-checking, the timing is wrong.


Missed opportunity #1: Latin uses the same word, "ubi", to mean both "where" and "when", which would in some ways make talking about time travel simpler, but in others, more difficult. Though I suppose this would be difficult to work in in a book that elides Latin dialog as English for the reader's perspective.

Missed opportunity #2: When Tenobius is explaining "temporal discipline", there was a perfectly good and accessible analogy he missed. The ancients knew plenty of stories about prophecies, and often, the subject of the prophecy tries to avert it... which always has disastrous results. Which is basically the same predicament faced by time travelers.

Oh, and I'm quite certain that very few Young Adults indeed would recognize a capacitor, from the description of how one is made. Though if even a few think to ask their science teachers, it'll result in a good thing.
  #46  
Old 02-01-2020, 11:40 AM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 15,578
I just bought your book from Google Play. Looking forward to reading!
  #47  
Old 02-01-2020, 03:49 PM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I just bought your book from Google Play. Looking forward to reading!
Hope you like it!
__________________
The makers of the GoPro have to come out with a model called the "Quid"
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017