Old 11-20-2019, 06:36 AM
I was curious...

If Mourinho makes it work, Man U are going to look like fools.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
If it werent for his second spell at Chelsea I would agree. Also, starting in November, Mourinho wont have the time to implement his park the bus style of play on Totty. This is a poor match of a defensively minded coach with an offensively minded bunch of players.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
Mourinho is a money spender. Not even Man U was willing to give his the cash he wanted, and they overpaid for what they got (Pogba). His great success was when he bought everyone in the first Chelsea run, and can't be repeated because Man City bought everyone after that... Spurs are not going splash that cash...

He'll just win a few games at the start, buy far too expensive players, and then fall out with them. The dressing room will hate him, and he'll be fired again.

I think he's a vastly overrated one trick pony. I think Wenger gets much more out of his players, if only they didn't use his teams as training Academies...
Old 11-20-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
Mourinho is a money spender. Not even Man U was willing to give his the cash he wanted, and they overpaid for what they got (Pogba). His great success was when he bought everyone in the first Chelsea run, and can't be repeated because Man City bought everyone after that... Spurs are not going splash that cash...

He'll just win a few games at the start, buy far too expensive players, and then fall out with them. The dressing room will hate him, and he'll be fired again.

I think he's a vastly overrated one trick pony. I think Wenger gets much more out of his players, if only they didn't use his teams as training Academies...
I dont think Levy will let him break the budget. Unless he unloads the stars like Kane and Erickson.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:

His one trick is winning trophies, which is not a bad one to have - indeed I'd say it was impossible to vastly overrate that but each to their own. Poch is great, obviously, but he hasn't won a carrot - in the time he's been at Spurs (winning nowt), Mou has won the league, two league cups, and the Europa league - two of those tophies with a comedy Utd outfit.

I'd bet on Mourinho bringing silverware to Spurs, although hard to see beyond the cups. You'd say Levy and Mourinho certainly has potential for a complete meltdown but both men are far from stupid. Mou has to know he can't piss Levy's money away buying one great player for every ten dross transfers, and Levy has to know that you either back Mourinho or there's no point employing him in the first place. They'll reach an accommodation.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Scissors View Post
His one trick is winning trophies, which is not a bad one to have - indeed I'd say it was impossible to vastly overrate that but each to their own. Poch is great, obviously, but he hasn't won a carrot - in the time he's been at Spurs (winning nowt), Mou has won the league, two league cups, and the Europa league - two of those tophies with a comedy Utd outfit.
No his trick is winning trophies with a massive budgets, and even that, he's not that great on winning decent trophies on those with a massive budget. Nobody gives a crap about the FA Cup of the community shield, the leagues and European football are important, and it was Spanish league in 2012, Premier league in 15, Europa league in 16 (though that is arguably a losers cup).

ManU and Spurs did not and have not hired him to win the community Shield. He might. But it wasn't what ManU wanted with that cash.

Quote:
I'd bet on Mourinho bringing silverware to Spurs, although hard to see beyond the cups. You'd say Levy and Mourinho certainly has potential for a complete meltdown but both men are far from stupid. Mou has to know he can't piss Levy's money away buying one great player for every ten dross transfers, and Levy has to know that you either back Mourinho or there's no point employing him in the first place. They'll reach an accommodation.
In which case he's not going to last long. Spurs are not happy they've faded at the end of the last few seasons, and I'd say that that was they want to change.

The battle in recent years has been between Money (Man City, Chelsea), and good use of Money (Liverpool and Spurs) with Man U in the middle. It seems that good use of it is winning. I think Spurs have made a massive mistake here though, like I think Arsenal did with Wenger (and that's showing now).

Still, it's all making it interesting. Leicester might be the wildcard again though...

Last edited by Smid; 11-21-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:16 AM

Mourinho won two European trophies with Porto including the only "non-massive budget" CL win in the past 20 years. Weird argument to say he can only win with massive budgets when nobody wins without massive budgets. Unless, I guess, you want to say that Ranieri and Simeone are the only good coaches in the world.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Leicester might be the wildcard again though...
Imagine how good they would be if they still had Kante, Mahrez and Maguire? The results that Leicester have achieved over the last few years should be studied and imitated. Hiring Mourinho is an anti-Leicester move.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Mourinho won two European trophies with Porto including the only "non-massive budget" CL win in the past 20 years. Weird argument to say he can only win with massive budgets when nobody wins without massive budgets. Unless, I guess, you want to say that Ranieri and Simeone are the only good coaches in the world.
That Mourihno disappeared after his first stint at Chelsea. Ranieri and Simeone are the only genius managers in the world. Also, Dortmund beat Juventus in 1997 without a massive budget.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
That Mourihno disappeared after his first stint at Chelsea. Ranieri and Simeone are the only genius managers in the world. Also, Dortmund beat Juventus in 1997 without a massive budget.
And how many years ago is 1997?
Old 11-21-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I agree. I don't like Mourinho much, but the "He only wins with a big budget" argument is silly.

Possibly more than any other major sport in the world, European football is all about big budgets. With no salary caps, no draft, limited revenue sharing, and the ability to simply buy and sell players, European football has incredibly high correlations between spending and winning. Basically all of the big domestic leagues are dominated by a small number of high-budget teams, and those teams also dominate in the continent-wide competitions like the Champions League. By comparison, the North American major sports (baseball, hockey, football, and basketball) are models of parity.

In the 27 seasons of the English Premier League, it's been won 25 times by four teams, with Man U winning 13 times. Blackburn managed to win in the third season, and then Leicester had their improbable 5000-1 winning run, but it's basically been one of the big 4. Apart from Leceister, no EPL winner for the last 15 years has had a budget lower than #3 in the league.

In the last 20 years of the Bundesliga, Bayern Munich has won 14 times. In Spain's La Liga, Barcelona has won 10 of the last 15, and there have been a total of four teams winning over the past two decades. In Portugal, it's Benfica and Porto trading championships over two decades. In Italy, it's Juventus for the last 8, then Milan for 1, and then Inter for 5 in a row. And in France, the last 20 years is basically PSG and Lyon, with a short break from 2008-2012, when four different teams had one win each.

And in the last 20 years, the Champions League has been won in every year except two by one of the dominant, domestic-league-winning teams. In fact, the only Champions League winner in the last 20 years that has not also managed to win its domestic competition on at least one occasion during the past two decades is Liverpool, and they might correct that this season.

I've been in the United States for 20 professional sports seasons now. During that time, 13 teams have won the baseball World Series, and no team has won it more than 4 times (Boston). In that same time period, 11 teams have won the NFL Superbowl, although the Patriots have had a sustained two decades of success, going to 9 Superbowls and winning 6. The NBA has had 9 winners in 20 years, and the NHL has had 12 (out of 19, with a cancelled season).

Part of this variety, of course, is the fact that North American sports have a playoff system, while European domestic champions are decided simply by who has the most points at the end of the season. For this reason, the European system is more likely to be won by the actual best week-to-week team. By contrast, the playoff system makes it possible for a team to win despite having been the fourth or sixth or tenth or even sixteenth-best (NBA, NHL) team over the course of the regular season.

But there's no denying that spending and winning are massively correlated in European football, precisely for that reason. If you spend a bunch of money on an amazing squad, then it's pretty likely that you'll win a lot of games, and in Europe you can't have your big-spending regular-season victories undermined in the last four weeks by a playoff system that rests, at least partly, on luck and/or a single outstanding performance by an inferior side.

Last edited by mhendo; 11-21-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Imagine how good they would be if they still had Kante, Mahrez and Maguire? The results that Leicester have achieved over the last few years should be studied and imitated. Hiring Mourinho is an anti-Leicester move.
Everton hired Steve Walsh from Leicester into a Director of Football role a few years ago. Walsh was the Scout who was directly responsible for signing Mahrez, Vardy, Kante plus others for nominal transfer fees, ie he built their title winning team. He was also the assistant manager at one time.

His appointment was a colossal, unmitigated disaster that literally set us back years. Lumbered us with a squad of comedians on stratospheric wages that are hanging off our teat to this day.

Intensive post mortem discussion in the fanbase on how this happened, whether he was actually good but in the wrong role and dealing with a horrible manager (Koeman) (minority viewpoint), or is a fraud who caught lightning in a bottle with Leicester (majority opinion). Very hard to get a clear picture of things because football clubs operate behind closed doors and you rarely get a legit inside view on the decision processes.

Walsh actually made some comments in the Athletic magazine recently on the whole debacle and didn't come across well IMO - very self-serving.

Last edited by Busy Scissors; 11-21-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
Yeah, I agree. I don't like Mourinho much, but the "He only wins with a big budget" argument is silly.

Possibly more than any other major sport in the world, European football is all about big budgets. With no salary caps, no draft, limited revenue sharing, and the ability to simply buy and sell players, European football has incredibly high correlations between spending and winning. Basically all of the big domestic leagues are dominated by a small number of high-budget teams, and those teams also dominate in the continent-wide competitions like the Champions League. By comparison, the North American major sports (baseball, hockey, football, and basketball) are models of parity.

But there's no denying that spending and winning are massively correlated in European football, precisely for that reason. If you spend a bunch of money on an amazing squad, then it's pretty likely that you'll win a lot of games, and in Europe you can't have your big-spending regular-season victories undermined in the last four weeks by a playoff system that rests, at least partly, on luck and/or a single outstanding performance by an inferior side.
Not only that but winning reaps massive prize money whereas in baseball say....the benefits of winning are miniscule compared to soccer.

And if a hard-brexit is established....the gulf between haves and have-nots will be even greater. in EPL that is...
Old 12-07-2019, 07:52 PM

In case you haven't seen it, here some football insanity for you guys from the Spurs match today. Been watching this highlight all day long.
https://streamja.com/XNGX
Old 12-07-2019, 08:32 PM

Wow. Son is amazing. I think that's the longest solo run and score that I've ever seen.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:06 AM

Liverpool's game against Everton in mid-week was an odd affair.

On the one hand, Liverpool was clearly superior, and probably could have scored even more goals. On the other hand, Everton should have had a penalty, and Van Dijk should have been sent off in the first half for a clear foul inside the box. Liverpool were up 2-1 at the time, and the sending off and penalty might have changed the whole game.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:15 AM

I went to Goodison on Sat to see Everton play Chelsea - took my young lad with me so was a good game to pick, as the place was bouncing. Great result, players bled for the shirt. We still needed some luck as Chelsea were superior going forward but they were poor at the back and made some costly mistakes.

As good as it was, what does this tell you about some of the absolute frauds we have in the Royal Blue Jersey? New manager arrives with technical masterpiece of a gameplan - to get the players to try.

Actually been thinking what this means over the weekend - obv it's not as simple as just going out there and running your bollox off as that is not actually all that difficult (although for wide players like Alex Iwobi or Theo Walcott it might actually be that simple - Iwobi legged it back to regain possession and the fans around me reacted like a unicorn had just wandered onto the pitch).
I think it's more that for elite sport small differences in effort, like 95% versus 100% make big differences in outcome. Too many Everton players have lacked that I refuse to lose mentality and for whatever reason Silva wasn't able to bring it out of them.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:19 AM

This year's EPL is an interesting one from an expected goals perspective. Liverpool has won a ton of games that they weren't much better than their opponents while Man City has dropped a ton of points where they created more/better chances. Based on at least one site (understat.com) Man City has been the best in the league so far.

It'll be interesting if the analytics community decides that those figures aren't as sophisticated as they thought, or, if this is just a bit a of a flukey season and it'll work itself out in the long run.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
This year's EPL is an interesting one from an expected goals perspective. Liverpool has won a ton of games that they weren't much better than their opponents while Man City has dropped a ton of points where they created more/better chances. Based on at least one site (understat.com) Man City has been the best in the league so far.

It'll be interesting if the analytics community decides that those figures aren't as sophisticated as they thought, or, if this is just a bit a of a flukey season and it'll work itself out in the long run.
I was actually wondering the same thing. If xg is so far off of has so much variation in the data that a single season is too small to get close to a gap like Liverpool /City then it isn't really that good of a stat.

It's one thing for it to be a little off, but it's another for it to describe a reality that's pretty different from what people are watching.

It's also possible that Liverpool breaks xg. I feel like Leicester did the same the year of their title run. But again, the model should not be easily breakable.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF1138 View Post
I was actually wondering the same thing. If xg is so far off of has so much variation in the data that a single season is too small to get close to a gap like Liverpool /City then it isn't really that good of a stat.

It's one thing for it to be a little off, but it's another for it to describe a reality that's pretty different from what people are watching.

It's also possible that Liverpool breaks xg. I feel like Leicester did the same the year of their title run. But again, the model should not be easily breakable.
I'm not sure that the goals scored and given up are too much different than the xG-for and xG-against (7 and 1 for Liverpool, 2 and 2 for Man City). It's more that if you have 6 games where you created 0.5 xG more than your opponent, you're expected to drop points even though you were better in each game.

I haven't watched a ton of Liverpool, but I have watched a fair amount of Man City and Barcelona games and their xG numbers pass the eye test to me (under-performing and significantly over-performing, respectively). So while I'm not ready to say the concept needs overhauling I'm keeping my eye on what analytics type people say.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:

It's not that the model is breakable, per se. Rather it's that any model, however good, is still prone to outliers and statistical fluctuations and runs of luck.

Look at baseball stats like Expected W-L (X W-L), or Batting Average on Balls in Play (BABIP). It's possible for a team (XWL) or a player (BABIP) to have a whole 162-gamee season where they defy the expectations of the model. I've seen teams over- and under-perform their pythagorean run-based X W-L by ten or more games. And I've seen players over- or under-perform their BABIP expectations by 40 or 50 points in a season. But overall, both those models are still pretty good predictors of performance, despite the aberrations.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:00 PM

Non-prem:

BUURRRNNN......Gerard Pique's shirt was totally tugged on in extra minutes in a Barca/Real Sociedad draw just now.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
It's not that the model is breakable, per se. Rather it's that any model, however good, is still prone to outliers and statistical fluctuations and runs of luck.

Look at baseball stats like Expected W-L (X W-L), or Batting Average on Balls in Play (BABIP). It's possible for a team (XWL) or a player (BABIP) to have a whole 162-gamee season where they defy the expectations of the model. I've seen teams over- and under-perform their pythagorean run-based X W-L by ten or more games. And I've seen players over- or under-perform their BABIP expectations by 40 or 50 points in a season. But overall, both those models are still pretty good predictors of performance, despite the aberrations.
If anyone is into podcasts? If so this is a pretty good analytics based podcast, called the double pivot, that goes into all this here.

https://pca.st/hrjcaald

Gonna try to share directly from pocket casts. Let me know if this doesn't link right.

Last edited by NAF1138; 12-18-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:19 AM

The link works. Taking a listen now, interesting points about the Dortmund vs Leipzig game.

Gotta say though that these two guys have some of the least pleasant voices I've ever heard.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
The link works. Taking a listen now, interesting points about the Dortmund vs Leipzig game.

Gotta say though that these two guys have some of the least pleasant voices I've ever heard.

Yeah I agree, but you get used to it. It's a pretty good analytic podcast on the whole.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:13 AM

So, got through it while attempting to do work. Doesn't seem like they have much of a conclusion regarding Liverpool and their expected results discrepancy. Leaning towards them not being as good as their point total?
Old 12-19-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
So, got through it while attempting to do work. Doesn't seem like they have much of a conclusion regarding Liverpool and their expected results discrepancy. Leaning towards them not being as good as their point total?
Yeah. I think their answer is "it's complicated but the model basically works, and Liverpool will come back to earth eventually."

I'm not sure I buy it, but I liked the discussion.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:15 PM

Man, Man City is so much better than Leicester. It's crazy the table looks like it does.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Man, Man City is so much better than Leicester. It's crazy the table looks like it does.
Yesterday, absolutely. They looked fantastic. But Man City haven't played like that for many of their games this year.

The stats might be right, and Man City might be better than their results suggest, but they still haven't been at their best for the whole year, and yesterday's game isn't really reflective of their form over the course of the season so far. If they had played like that every game, they'd be within a few points of Liverpool.

On an unrelated matter:

I know that there's been a lot of talk this year about VAR, and about the handball rule, but I think there's something else that also needs fixing in the Premier League, and it would be easy to do, and would dramatically improve things. If I were in charge of the League, I would introduce and enforce rules against mobbing the officials. Every controversial decision, and some non-controversial ones, sees players from both teams storming the referee, standing over him, sometimes physically bumping him with their shoulders and bodies as they protest either against or in favor of his decision.

This is the behavior of petulant children, and it makes a hard job even more difficult for the officials. You never see shit like this in rugby, where the rules allow only the team captain to discuss officiating decisions with the referees. American football players sometimes blow up at the officials, but never with the sort of mobbing you see in soccer. They should start giving out yellow cards for this shit, and if you actually make physical contact with the officials in the process of protesting a decision, it should be a red.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:

On an unrelated matter:

I know that there's been a lot of talk this year about VAR, and about the handball rule, but I think there's something else that also needs fixing in the Premier League, and it would be easy to do, and would dramatically improve things. If I were in charge of the League, I would introduce and enforce rules against mobbing the officials. Every controversial decision, and some non-controversial ones, sees players from both teams storming the referee, standing over him, sometimes physically bumping him with their shoulders and bodies as they protest either against or in favor of his decision.

This is the behavior of petulant children, and it makes a hard job even more difficult for the officials. You never see shit like this in rugby, where the rules allow only the team captain to discuss officiating decisions with the referees. American football players sometimes blow up at the officials, but never with the sort of mobbing you see in soccer. They should start giving out yellow cards for this shit, and if you actually make physical contact with the officials in the process of protesting a decision, it should be a red.
I would back this 100%
Old 12-22-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Yesterday, absolutely. They looked fantastic. But Man City haven't played like that for many of their games this year.

The stats might be right, and Man City might be better than their results suggest, but they still haven't been at their best for the whole year, and yesterday's game isn't really reflective of their form over the course of the season so far. If they had played like that every game, they'd be within a few points of Liverpool.
I dunno. I haven't watched every Man City game, but I have watched maybe 8 or 9 and they were the better team in every one including against Liverpool (although that was very even). Actually, checking with one stats site it seems like Man City has had more xG than their opponent every single game this season. (Liverpool "outplayed" in 3 games by the same metric).
Old 12-27-2019, 10:29 AM

Wow, a completely unexpected Boxing Day gift for Southampton fans yesterday. They might escape relegation once again.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:09 AM

I have always had a soft spot for Southampton, but I like them best when they beat Chelsea.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I have always had a soft spot for Southampton, but I like them best when they beat Chelsea.
Not only that, but they won at Chelsea. There are ffew things more satisfying in football than a Stamford Bridge crowd going home disappointed. Southampton's second goal, the one scored by Redmond, was an absolutely fantastic team goal, with about a dozen passes in the lead-up.

Liverpool looked pretty dominant as they dispatched Leicester 4-0. It wasn't Leicester's best performance, by a long shot, but the Reds looked really good, and could have scored a few more.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:12 PM

Liverpool are going nuts this season.
After beating Tottenham today, they became the first top 5 European club team, in history, to win 20 of 21 season games and amass 61 out of a possible 63 points, so far.
Heh - imagine if Salah was playing his 2017/18 level.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:16 AM
I was curious...

Man U have turned so many corners it's impossible to tell if they're now pointing in the right direction or not.

I really hope Bournemouth drag themselves out of trouble. And I really hope Eddie Howe is the man that does it. I don't think they should sack him - who else is there? I've heard Pulis mentioned, which would be a terrible, retrograde step in my view.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:00 AM

It was a lot more fun kidding Liverpool when they underachieved all the time but give them credit, they are really good these days. All the parts are meshing and they raided Soton often enough to finally land their two players with the potential to be among the world's best (Virgil and Sadio Mane, both of whom are playing lights out).

Saints! Don't ask me to explain this run. And they might be right back to a relegation fight next year if the new management doesn't figure out how to scour Europe's lower leagues for the next Mane or Graz Pelle.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:53 AM

Barcelona fire their coach midseason and then get turned down by, if you believe reporting, 3 different coaches before settling on Quique Setien from Real Betis. What a clusterfuck. Clearly the board doesn't know what they're doing. (At least on the football side, I guess they have the highest revenue in the world by a pretty decent margin.)

It sounds like both Xavi and Ronald Koeman would have been available during the summer. I assume this hire preclude either of those options. IMO Xavi probably needs more experience, but Koeman seemed like a good fit. I expect no miracles and for Barca to go trophyless for the year.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Barcelona fire their coach midseason and then get turned down by, if you believe reporting, 3 different coaches before settling on Quique Setien from Real Betis. What a clusterfuck. Clearly the board doesn't know what they're doing. (At least on the football side, I guess they have the highest revenue in the world by a pretty decent margin.)

It sounds like both Xavi and Ronald Koeman would have been available during the summer. I assume this hire preclude either of those options. IMO Xavi probably needs more experience, but Koeman seemed like a good fit. I expect no miracles and for Barca to go trophyless for the year.
Yeah, not really holding out for the red and blue this season. Not that Real Madrid is exactly tearing it up, either. Hoping Ansu Fati really, really, really comes into his own in Barca.

Anyhoos, very anguished, crushed and dejected to report Chelsea's god-awful loss to the Magpies in the last freaking minute of injury time.
The Horror...

Must.

Stay.

Ahead.

of Man U.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:14 PM

I follow Chelsea a little bit because of Pulisic. Their fans run really hot and cold. At the beginning of the season it was all woe is me, then they were going to dominate Europe for years since their young team hada couple good results, now back to everything being awful.

I tend to think they'll be ok, but the midfield is going to age out before the attack hits its prime.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:34 PM

Man City just got a two year ban from UEFA competitions over financial fair play rules. Pretty serious. I imagine that means Pep will leave ASAP, I'm sure Barca would hire him in a second along with pretty much anyone that isn't Liverpool. More likely Sane will leave and harder to bring in defensive help as well.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Man City just got a two year ban from UEFA competitions over financial fair play rules. Pretty serious. I imagine that means Pep will leave ASAP, I'm sure Barca would hire him in a second along with pretty much anyone that isn't Liverpool. More likely Sane will leave and harder to bring in defensive help as well.
Assuming it sticks.

Guess this means spot 5 on the table gets Champions League?
Old 02-14-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Assuming it sticks.

Guess this means spot 5 on the table gets Champions League?
Yeah.

I haven't read the specifics, but I'd be quite surprised if they argue themselves out of it. Maybe down to a one year ban? Huge news for all the super clubs of the world, and Tottenham.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Yeah.

I haven't read the specifics, but I'd be quite surprised if they argue themselves out of it. Maybe down to a one year ban? Huge news for all the super clubs of the world, and Tottenham.
Not just Tottenham. I think it would be awesome to see Sheffield United make it, and it also puts Wolves, Everton, and Man United back in serious contention for Champions League play.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Not just Tottenham. I think it would be awesome to see Sheffield United make it, and it also puts Wolves, Everton, and Man United back in serious contention for Champions League play.
Yeah, I was mostly going for a joke. I was going to use Arsenal, but I forgot they were in 10th (!)
Old 02-15-2020, 01:25 PM

Well, that game between Liverpool and Norwich was a lot of fun to watch, even if it was a little too close for my liking.

A lot of really open play in the second half, with chances at both ends. Norwich had a massive chance at about 35 minutes in the first half, but Allison managed to intercept the last past that, if completed, would have allowed Pukki a tap-in goal. Norwich also hit the post in the second half, and had a few other chances. Still, Liverpool looked good, and could have scored at least two or three more if the final pass or touch had been a bit better. Norwich also did a good job, much of the time, at last-ditch defense.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I was mostly going for a joke. I was going to use Arsenal, but I forgot they were in 10th (!)
It was a good joke! Bad news for the gunners...the one year they won't finish 5th!
Old 02-19-2020, 09:20 AM

Damn interesting first two matches of the CL knockout round. Atletico and Dortmund take wins off Liverpool and PSG. I fully expect Liverpool to win at home, but Atletico is very stingy and it's by no means a certain thing.

PSG, on the otherhand, is in more trouble. Sure, they got the away goal, but Veratti will miss the second leg. I think they have much bigger holes in their team compared to Liverpool and BVB has maybe the two best teenagers in the world running at them all game. At this point Dortmund is probably slightly favored to advance, no?
Old 02-19-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Damn interesting first two matches of the CL knockout round. Atletico and Dortmund take wins off Liverpool and PSG. I fully expect Liverpool to win at home, but Atletico is very stingy and it's by no means a certain thing.

PSG, on the otherhand, is in more trouble. Sure, they got the away goal, but Veratti will miss the second leg. I think they have much bigger holes in their team compared to Liverpool and BVB has maybe the two best teenagers in the world running at them all game. At this point Dortmund is probably slightly favored to advance, no?
Norwich held Liverpool scoreless for 77 minutes last week. It appears that it can be done, especially by a better club. Note: not a prediction by me, Liverpool is a damned good team.

Dortmund is indeed a hoot to watch as is Leipzig, which will be in action today against Spurs. Note 2: Dortmund and Leipzig both have young American players frequently in their lineups. More fun!

And footy's NIT is in full swing tomorrow. Wolves v Espanyol (dead last in La Liga currently) for me, I hope.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:43 AM

The Spurs Leipzig game will be interesting as both teams are missing large numbers of key players. Spurs will be playing without any striker at all as all thier strikers are now out with season long injuries, or are 18 year old Troy Parrot who is not at all ready regardless of Ireland caps.

Honestly, Jose needs to find some of his black magic to make anything out of Spurs this year. The team is snake bit hard.

Last edited by NAF1138; 02-19-2020 at 10:44 AM.