Old 02-24-2020, 08:22 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Post facto analysis is so darn easy

I mean, how many champs in any sport just roll to the title? It does happen; the 2005 White Sox, 1989 49ers, 75-76 Canadiens, and 90-91 Bulls were never in any trouble. But most championships have their tight moments.

It's not that the Raptors were unusually lucky to win. As NBA champions go they weren't a weak example at all; they are at worst middle of the pack among champions, a truly championship level squad. It's just that ALMOST ALL champions are at least partially lucky.

Last edited by RickJay; 02-24-2020 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:26 PM

The Raptors defence played well against the Bucks. And their bench played well. But the Bucks run at the end of the first half when the Raptors were up by 12 changed the momentum. Ibaka (2/14) couldn’t sink his shots. The officiating didn’t break the Raptors way - Lopez got away with a lot. The Raptors turned the ball over a lot.

A 108-97 Bucks win. But Giannis held to 19, then Middleton stepped up with 22. The Bucks didn’t look like a better team in the first half. Will make a great playoff if Gasol and Powell are back. They play again twice beginning of April. Might be harder to win in Milwaukee though.

Last edited by Dr_Paprika; 02-25-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:32 PM

The Thunder just tied a franchise record 9th straight road win. Unfortunately, their next road game is the second game of a back-to-back at Milwaukee. :rollseyes:
Old 02-26-2020, 12:03 PM

What scares me the most is that Giannis has been averaging only 30 min. per game this season. For someone whom I'll bet will win, hands down, the MVP, that's low, even compared to Lowry's 36 mpg (who also crazily takes charges when up by 30).
GA will be fresh as a daisy come play-offs. That is a very scary thing.
Raptors will need everyone. Nice to see their bench really strong this season so far.
Powell's shoulder has been such an ongoing thing that I fear it's gonna always be with him.

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 02-26-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:08 PM

Credit where due, the Bucks are a solid team. The Raptors played a great first half. They often look weaker in the third quarter and will have to fix this to improve their chances. The Bucks deserved to win, but the only difference was guys like Ibaka and VanVleet not sinking shots at the usual rate. They had plenty of clean looks. The Bucks defence held. Looking forward to the playoffs.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:23 AM

Not often the Raptors have an off night. But they were given a 91% chance of beating Charlotte and didn’t do it. True - Gasol, VanVleet and Ibaka were out. Powell was back and did okay. But the team didn’t show up until the final quarter. One game means nothing, except the guys are going to have to work harder if they want to dance at the big final.

Last edited by Dr_Paprika; 02-29-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nars Glinley View Post
The Thunder just tied a franchise record 9th straight road win. Unfortunately, their next road game is the second game of a back-to-back at Milwaukee. :rollseyes:
Instead of even making a run at a franchise record of 10 straight road wins, the Thunder lose by 47. Awesome.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Stick a fork in the Blazers. They lost to Atlanta last night, for cripe's sake. Lillard is still benched and it's clear that their big men are not coming back this season. I see Whiteside opting out of his contract and going to play for someone who has a chance for next year; it will be a huge loss for Portland when he goes.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:49 PM

Lakers-Pelicans... Davis isn't playing, so the New Orleans fans boo every time Lebron gets the ball.

It seems players miss a lot of games against their former teams.

That's All, Folks
Old 03-06-2020, 02:10 AM

A pleasure to see Curry return vs the Raptors tonight. A good game. San Fran looked a little like their halcyon team, but the Raptors played well with Powell scoring 35+ points and Anunoby with his fifth straight game in double digits. With Gasol and VanVleet out, Anunoby has played better than I could have guessed. But it was a different team with Ibaka back; one which could play defence and not allow 40 point quarters.

And the Raptors qualify for the playoffs. Earliest date ever.

Last edited by Dr_Paprika; 03-06-2020 at 02:12 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:51 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Curry's shot was off a bit but he looked healthy and did a lot.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:10 PM

His runners, though...
Old 03-09-2020, 09:44 AM

Raptors pull out another not-too-steady win over the Kings last night, with Sacramento's bench outscoring the Raptors bench 51 - 7. Awesome to finally see Gasol back, albeit understandably rusty. Norm Powell continues with his torrid pace with 31 points, and Lowry solid as ever, playing the full fourth quarter without fouling out. Didn't like seeing him repeatedly hurting his hand throughout the game, at one or two points actually holding it - not cool. Wish I could see McCaw start to rise up a little more - kinda due.

So, Lebron says he won't play in an empty arena.
Hm, well, let's see if that would actually pan out.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:34 AM

The Kings are a good team at home, and 538 gave the Raptors a 58% chance of a win. They pulled it off, but barely. The thing about the Raptors is when someone is off, another takes over. Powell, happily, has hot hands herewith. Gasol will find his groove. Ibaka and Lowry had some good moments. VanVleet is missed. Anunoby has been shooting better and forcing turnovers. But bygone bout, the bench bit. We’ve seen them do a lot better.

And Phoenix beat the Bucks for their second straight surrender. Anyone can beat anyone, some nights.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:15 PM

That Lakers-Clippers game was really good. Both teams were at full strength, but I can't think who would win. I'd guess the Clippers, but it's 51-49..

Any guesses?
Old 03-10-2020, 12:52 AM

The Raptors register a road win against fourth-in-the-west Utah in the second of a back-to-back - not bad, one of the better wins of the season. They don't play again until Saturday, which still might not be enough rest time for Norm Powell, who went from NBA player of the week to getting side-lined with an ankle sprain in, like, the opening minute of the game. And winningmost team since Jan. 15. Nice seeing Ibaka outmatching Gobert.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:22 AM
Charter Jays Fan

The Raptors win was especially impressive given that, with Patrick McCaw out there for 43 perplexing minutes, they were basically playing with four and a half men against five.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
The Raptors win was especially impressive given that, with Patrick McCaw out there for 43 perplexing minutes, they were basically playing with four and a half men against five.
LOL
Old 03-10-2020, 05:06 PM

Ibaka played a darn good game. Lowry kept his head. Nurse knows what he is doing, and I know he has a good reason for what he does. But I don’t always know what the reason is. He seems to have brought Anunoby back to life. Wasn’t McCaw on two championship Warrior teams? Might be trying to do the same thing, and not just make do due to a lack of options.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

NBA is suspending all games due to a player testing positive for the virus.
Quote:
The NBA announced that a player on the Utah Jazz has preliminarily tested positive for COVID-19. The test result was reported shortly prior to the tip-off of tonight’s game between the Jazz and Oklahoma City Thunder at Chesapeake Energy Arena. At that time, tonight’s game was canceled. The affected player was not in the arena.
The NBA is suspending game play following the conclusion of tonight’s schedule of games until further notice. The NBA will use this hiatus to determine next steps for moving forward in regard to the coronavirus pandemic.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:52 PM

Wow, that’s unbelievable.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:18 PM

Toronto, Boston and Detroit were the teams Utah have played in the last week.
Fans don't need to worry, but those who came into contact with him...
Old 03-11-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Toronto, Boston and Detroit were the teams Utah have played in the last week.
Fans don't need to worry, but those who came into contact with him...
This is the right thing to do - Kudos to Silver for making a tough call, but the right one. He saved lives tonight.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:11 PM
Charter Jays Fan

It's also a good way to avoid legal troubles.

They can resume the season in mid to late April if things look like they've calmed down. Get a few games in and then start playoffs. I mean, in the long run, not a lot of the games between now and then are important.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:31 PM

It was the right decision due to liability and concern for fans, players and their families. Take a hiatus and see what happens.

One in five people worldwide caught H1N1. I suspect this is also already widespread. The Jazz player diagnosed felt okay to play tonight. Most cases might similarly be mild, but untested. Clearly the number of cases reported is an underestimate.

Wash your hands and follow advice, of course. But don’t panic. I suspect it will fizzle out and play will resume. Of course, many more will be diagnosed and some won’t do well. But most will.

Other leagues will look at this and take a break too once (basically healthy) players test positive. Which will certainly occur.

Last edited by Dr_Paprika; 03-11-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:38 PM

Still think your little joke was funny, Rudy Gobert?
Old 03-12-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Still think your little joke was funny, Rudy Gobert?
That moron. He had NOTHING to gain by touching every microphone. Even the regular flu is bad enough.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:50 AM

I am so conflicted right now.

On one hand hats off to Adam Silver for doing the smart and correct thing by suspending the season. On the other hand, my Lakers are riding high right now and looking like they could win it all and I hate to lose momentum. All I can do is hope that we can pick back up when/if the season starts back up.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:04 AM

The G League has also suspended their season. https://gleague.nba.com/news/nba-g-l...019-20-season/
Old 03-12-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
That moron. He had NOTHING to gain by touching every microphone. Even the regular flu is bad enough.
This is off topic, but just to clarify; your phrasing implies COVID-19 is some more dangerous strain of flu.

It's not flu at all. It's a completely different thing, even if the symptoms are similar. A coronavirus isn't an influenza virus.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
This is off topic, but just to clarify; your phrasing implies COVID-19 is some more dangerous strain of flu.

It's not flu at all. It's a completely different thing, even if the symptoms are similar. A coronavirus isn't an influenza virus.
Yes, I know.. I'm just saying it would have been stupid to touch every microphone every a year ago.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:12 AM

Gobert's teammate Donovan Mitchell tests positive.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:22 AM

I mean, I get it, but I am absolutely stunned this coronavirus thing has gone this far. This is fairly unprecedented, right?
Old 03-12-2020, 10:39 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
I mean, I get it, but I am absolutely stunned this coronavirus thing has gone this far. This is fairly unprecedented, right?
Not really. H1N1 in 2009 was also pandemic. A 1958 flu pandemic killed close to 70,000 in the US.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Not really. H1N1 in 2009 was also pandemic. A 1958 flu pandemic killed close to 70,000 in the US.
I meant specifically in terms of the NBA suspending play indefinitely. It's very possible I don't remember, but did that happen in 2009? Or was there any other time where pro sports leagues shut down or at least shut the arena doors for something like this?
Old 03-12-2020, 12:23 PM
Charter Jays Fan

It did not. There isn't any precedent for these actions.

As Ike points out, H1N1 was a bad pandemic that infected a huge percentage of the population and killed a lot of people but suspending sports wasn't even considered. SARS, which is also a coronavirus, was very scary in 2003 although it didn't break free the way this one is but again, no one even talked about it.

Comparisons to the 1958 pandemic or the mother of all pandemics, Spanish Flu, are harder to make because back then less was known, and especially in the case in 1918 the government was suppressing the truth. Anyway, in 1918 there only major pro team sport in North America was baseball, and the season was shortened anyway due to the war.

I love baseball and basketball more than I love most of my relatives, but holding off on basketball for at least a few weeks isn't going to kill anyone, while holding the games very well might. As for baseball, the fact they continue to hold spring training, which motivates fans across the continent to take flights to Florida and Arizona, is a disgrace. The season can start a little late. No one would miss a few weeks of spring training. It blows for people who work at the parks but let's stop this pandemic as best we can.

Last edited by RickJay; 03-12-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Anyway, in 1918 there only major pro team sport in North America was baseball, and the season was shortened anyway due to the war.
There is no Stanley Cup winner for 1919 due to the flu.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:01 PM

I just wish they would have done the no fans at the arena thing.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
I just wish they would have done the no fans at the arena thing.
That does not stop transmission when one of the players has the virus.
For example back in 2014 14 hockey players from 5 teams contracted mumps.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As for baseball, the fact they continue to hold spring training, which motivates fans across the continent to take flights to Florida and Arizona, is a disgrace. The season can start a little late. No one would miss a few weeks of spring training. It blows for people who work at the parks but let's stop this pandemic as best we can.
MLB just corrected that one. At this point it is virtually a domino effect with the NCAA cancelling all of its tournaments - I imagine the behind the scenes pressure is intense. Looks like everything is shutting down and Silver may deserve some credit for getting the ball rolling in the right direction.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:17 AM
Charter Jays Fan

The NBA is usually out in front of most things as compared to the other leagues. Kudos to Silver for reacting very swiftly.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:25 PM
Charter Jays Fan

The CDC's suggestion to not have gathering for eight weeks has resulted in MLB saying their season will not start until at least May 15.

If the NBA follows suit, and I cannot see how they can't, I suspect the season is lost.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
The CDC's suggestion to not have gathering for eight weeks has resulted in MLB saying their season will not start until at least May 15.

If the NBA follows suit, and I cannot see how they can't, I suspect the season is lost.
I figure the worse case scenario is they will kill the remainder of the season and jump straight to the playoffs with 5 game series for the first two rounds and 7 game series for the conference finals and NBA finals. There will be less rest between games and the off season will be shorter as a result.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:45 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Reducing the off days between playoff games would certainly tighten things up. It may be wise to at least have a couple of regular season games to help shake off rust.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

James Dolan test positive for the coronavirus.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:15 PM

ole Jimmy, eh?

huh...well, well...