Old 03-11-2020, 09:55 PM

Here in NC all public universities are now only doing classes online, all in person classes are cancelled. Duke also did the same , not sure about other private universities here like Wake Forest, Davidson, Elon, etc.

Not worried much myself , I am lucky that I work at home.

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 03-11-2020 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3 View Post
Ha, we can always hope! We have a trip to Australia planned for late June. Our insurance doesn't reimburse us if we cancel just because we're worried, so we're just going to hold tight until we get a lot closer and hope for the best. Either all hell will have broken out by then or we're headed to Sydney.
My son and I have tickets to London for his Spring Break in 9 days. Europe travel restrictions don't apply to the UK so far, but I'm a bit concerned, not so much about getting sick, but about getting quarantined in London or Dallas (our port of entry) causing him to miss the start of his final quarter of college.

The airline, BA, is only offering free changes for new bookings, and ours are from December, so rescheduling would be very costly, as would cancellation of non-refundable tickets. We're lucky that we can afford the loss of a couple thousand dollars, but I was really looking forward to spending the time with my son. On the plus side, our hotel reservation is cancellable, so the airfare is the only potential loss.

We're waiting until Sunday to make the final decision on changing/cancelling the trip.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I'm still not particularly worried about the disease itself.

But I'm starting to get worried about the response to the disease.
It's both.

You don't want panic, but you absolutely want to get ahead of this disease. It's better to overreact than to fail to react and have people not trust the information they're getting from official sources.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:20 PM

One thing you can be sure of: while we're not testing, the virus is spreading. It doesn't care whether we're manipulating the numbers for political purposes; it's making people mildly ill, allowing them to spread the disease in clusters, and making some people extremely ill, and even killing them. And this is repeating itself over and over and over again, in airports, in bus stations, in train stations, in stadiums, movie theaters, concert halls, schools, and other public gatherings large or small.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:39 AM

COVID concerns? This has been mentioned somewhere but I'll focus again on SPRING BREAK. Paid events can be and are cancelled. No-admission party towns aren't so easy to close down. If transport is restricted to offshore orgy sites, US partiers will stream to domestic targets by road. Will we see roadblocks around Santa Cruz and Daytona? Many of those partiers will be young and healthy but the staffs serving them won't be so. I look for a huge explosion of cases after Easter.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:37 AM

I'm now beginning to see some encouraging signs. It's not because of any response from the White House; it's coming from institutions, organizations, and local governments. We're fortunate that they're starting to do the job that the federal government has not.

Re: Spring break, more and more schools are extending spring break and moving to online instruction, so the word is getting out that social distancing is *the* best option right now.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:35 AM

I'm concerned that I may not be able to get rid of this earworm.

Look out all of you big strong men
Coronavirus is back again
We got ourselves in a terrible jam
'cause a virus spread from old Wuhan
So put on your masks, don't shake hands
A pandemic's stalking the land

And it's 1, 2, 3, what are we coughing for
Don't tell me, I feel real blue
Next stop's the I.C.U.
And it's 4, 5, 6, open up the pearly gates
There ain't no time to wonder why
We all gonna die
Old 03-17-2020, 03:53 AM
Charter Member

Looking back on when I started this thread, itís sure changed many peopleís concern. Here we are trying to get back to the USA! Today!
Old 03-17-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
COVID concerns? This has been mentioned somewhere but I'll focus again on SPRING BREAK. Paid events can be and are cancelled. No-admission party towns aren't so easy to close down. If transport is restricted to offshore orgy sites, US partiers will stream to domestic targets by road. Will we see roadblocks around Santa Cruz and Daytona? Many of those partiers will be young and healthy but the staffs serving them won't be so. I look for a huge explosion of cases after Easter.
I'd agree with this sentiment regarding Spring Break - I'm really shocked how many of my friends and neighbors are going on their vacations, driving down to Florida, hitting up restaurants and bars and running in 5ks - and that the 5ks are still happening, for that matter. A few minutes ago, a friend posted a picture on facebook of her in a crowd of people running a St. Patrick's Day race. Yet another friend was shocked when they were turned back in the LA airport on their way to a vacation in Australia. They were a little outraged that they'd be expected to self-quarantine for 14 days.

Anyway, there's a reason that we're all being asked to stay home. Spreading that shit all over creation, saying, "Well, I'm clean! I wash my hands! We're all gonna get it anyway, and we shouldn't stop living our lives," is kinda ridiculous.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:12 PM

I have a friend who is much more worried, about me, than I am. She is in her mid-50's, single, and self-isolating because she went on a trip to a conference a couple of weeks ago and now regrets it (she was giving a talk there). I am 70 and my husband is 72 and we are both functioning adults, but she has informed me that she is going to be checking on me via text every day, asking how I am and if I have food. As if we are both going to fall over and be unable to move, without warning, at the same time, so that only her intervention will save us.

I appreciate the concern, I guess, but it's simply not realistic. She has a centenarian neighbor and friend, this kind of checking in would be appropriate for her. I know 70 and 72 sounds old to a lot of people, but it really isn't. And if one or both of us gets taken ill, it's not her I'm going to call, I'm going to get medical help.

I attribute this behavior on her part to her need to always be ahead of the curve in whatever people "in the know" are doing. I'm not going to tell her my opinion of her behavior, because most of the time I enjoy her company, so I will answer her texts briefly as and when I see them. But still, there aren't enough rolleyes.

This post may not be precisely relevant to this thread, but I had to vent somewhere.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
I attribute this behavior on her part to her need to always be ahead of the curve in whatever people "in the know" are doing.
I think the need to just do something is a major motivator. People feel helpless, so they try to find anything they have some control over, whether it's needed or not.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
CFR in Japan is so far about 2.8%.

CFR in South Korea about 0.6%.

What do you hypothesize is the most likely reason for the difference in the CFRs? Is medical care far superior in South Korea? Are South Koreans in general much healthier with less chronic disease?
At the time this was posted I think something like 85% of the cases in Korea had been identified in the previous 2 weeks, so it's not surprising that the CFR was so low. It often takes weeks to die from this. There are currently 8320 confirmed cases and 81 deaths for a CFR of just under 1%.

Another huge factor you neglected is the age distribution of the coronavirus outbreak in Korea. Patient 31 infected several members of the Shincheonji cult, which apparently is mostly young people. As a result there are now more Koreans in their 20s who have tested positive for the virus than there are people over 60:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-cases-by-age/
Old 03-17-2020, 05:10 PM

It's fun to scroll through from the beginning to the end of this thread.

Back when Wuhan was beginning to be in the news, my husband bought two gallons of hand sanitizer and a blood oxygen tester (the finger thing). He said it was going to be much much worse than anyone was imagining, in the US. We thought he was being paranoid.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:02 PM

I was able to order a blood oxygen thing on-line yesterday. All the popular vendors still have them. (When I was unable to find hand sanitizer a week ago, I noticed a stack of them in the drug store, too, but didn't think to buy one then.)

I kinda wish I'd bought that large bottle of 95% rubbing alcohol I put back on the shelves, but I don't really use hand sanitizer at home. We have a lot of soap.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:18 PM

If the numbers are consistant, Italy will surpass China in total deaths tomorrow (19-Mar-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
If the numbers are consistant, Italy will surpass China in total deaths tomorrow (19-Mar-2020)
In officially reported total deaths. Obviously in the real world they are still way behind China and Iran.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2020, 09:36 PM

Not really concerned now thanks to my Subaru first aid kit https://www.subarupartspros.com/sku/soa868v9501.html I feel like this would help me today as I step outside my house to get some supplies hahahaha
Old 03-21-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal View Post
At the time this was posted I think something like 85% of the cases in Korea had been identified in the previous 2 weeks, so it's not surprising that the CFR was so low. It often takes weeks to die from this. There are currently 8320 confirmed cases and 81 deaths for a CFR of just under 1%.

Another huge factor you neglected is the age distribution of the coronavirus outbreak in Korea. Patient 31 infected several members of the Shincheonji cult, which apparently is mostly young people. As a result there are now more Koreans in their 20s who have tested positive for the virus than there are people over 60
Also of course Korea is leading the world in terms of testing. If Covid has a large proportion of mild cases then they are best placed to detect that and have a corresponding low CFR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmendrik
In officially reported total deaths. Obviously in the real world they are still way behind China and Iran.
You know that for a fact?

Let me tell you what it's like living in China right now: moving back to normal every day. Most restaurants, bars and gyms have reopened (albeit with things like occupancy restrictions e.g. max 60 people in the gym at one time).
Even some state-owned public places like museums have reopened. The temporary hospitals have closed.

So what is the reality?
Is it that there are still lots of cases, but the government has suspended measures to contain the virus regardless? Or is it that it was much more severe than the official figures but had a cliff-face dropoff in cases?
Old 03-21-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
Also of course Korea is leading the world in terms of testing. If Covid has a large proportion of mild cases then they are best placed to detect that and have a corresponding low CFR.

Let me tell you what it's like living in China right now: moving back to normal every day. Most restaurants, bars and gyms have reopened (albeit with things like occupancy restrictions e.g. max 60 people in the gym at one time).
Even some state-owned public places like museums have reopened. The temporary hospitals have closed.

So what is the reality?
Is it that there are still lots of cases, but the government has suspended measures to contain the virus regardless? Or is it that it was much more severe than the official figures but had a cliff-face dropoff in cases?
The worry is what happens in 5 to 6 weeks.

Are higher risk individuals maintaining social distance protocols? Are people still vigilant about self quarantine if sick? The odds that it wonít come back as controls are eased are very low. Can they control the curve as it does?
Old 03-21-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
So what is the reality?
Maybe move the sick to wherever the Uighar are these days?
Old 03-21-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:

Or is it that it was much more severe than the official figures but had a cliff-face dropoff in cases?
Yes. A complete lockdown will stop transmission of the virus whether your baseline number of cases is 10,000 or 1 million. There are multiple reliable reports from China that the government was under counting cases and deaths in Wuhan. There are videos showing stacks of bodies being transported in minibuses at a time that the claimed death rate was several dozen per day, in a city of 10 million.

When Dr Li Wenliang died, the Chinese government (at whatever level) had the hospital make a statement saying he hadn't died, which was itself reversed a few hours later. This was all reported on reliable international news sources such as the BBC, not conspiracy theory websites. I'm not sure why anyone would trust official figures coming from China.

As far as Iran goes, there is satellite evidence showing mass graves being dug in Qom around the time they reported their 1st two deaths.

Last edited by Shmendrik; 03-21-2020 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
Maybe move the sick to wherever the Uighar are these days?
What's happening with the uighar is terrible, and I have said so here before. I'm not some apologist for the chinese government.
But it's nothing to do with the topic at hand.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmendrik View Post
Yes. A complete lockdown will stop transmission of the virus whether your baseline number of cases is 10,000 or 1 million. There are multiple reliable reports from China that the government was under counting cases and deaths in Wuhan. There are videos showing stacks of bodies being transported in minibuses at a time that the claimed death rate was several dozen per day, in a city of 10 million.

When Dr Li Wenliang died, the Chinese government (at whatever level) had the hospital make a statement saying he hadn't died, which was itself reversed a few hours later. This was all reported on reliable international news sources such as the BBC, not conspiracy theory websites. I'm not sure why anyone would trust official figures coming from China.
Let's be clear: I don't trust the Chinese government at all, especially when it comes to lies by omission.

However, it's not possible to take the general observation that the government lies to make specific inferences. It's not some riddle where China must answer every question with a lie; obviously the majority of the time, as a practical matter, the truth is necessary.

A lot of information is being shared on social media of who has been diagnosed, from what residential building and with photos of the people being tested and/or taken to hospital.
So...what is even the theory here? That they are allowing this information to only be shared for a subset of cases? And at the same time relaxing the containment rules? For what purpose? It doesn't even make sense.

If China is saying deaths are X thousand, and someone wants to assert the true deaths are much more, I would want to see some supporting evidence or at least a good argument. "The Chinese government is not to be trusted" is insufficient in itself.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:33 AM

Quote:

A lot of information is being shared on social media of who has been diagnosed, from what residential building and with photos of the people being tested and/or taken to hospital.

So...what is even the theory here? That they are allowing this information to only be shared for a subset of cases? And at the same time relaxing the containment rules? For what purpose? It doesn't even make sense.

If China is saying deaths are X thousand, and someone wants to assert the true deaths are much more, I would want to see some supporting evidence or at least a good argument. "The Chinese government is not to be trusted" is insufficient in itself.

The theory is that things got a lot worse in Wuhan before they got better. The evidence is that there were videos showing mass disease and death at a time when the official numbers were not concordant with that, which imply the numbers were being greatly underreported.

Last edited by Shmendrik; 03-22-2020 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The theory is that things got a lot worse in Wuhan before they got better. The evidence is that there were videos showing mass disease and death at a time when the official numbers were not concordant with that, which imply the numbers were being greatly underreported.
Yeah, but even the Chinese government is admitting that the case count underestimates the severity of the disease, not for any malicious reason, but simply because it's impossible to track every case in the middle of a pandemic. In China, there were stories of people dying suddenly and their bodies being burnt to prevent transmission where we'll never know if they died of COVID 19 or a more mundane causes (remember, once you're over 65, you have about a 2+% chance of dying every year and there's 5.5 million people in Hubei over 65 so you'd expect 40+K old people dying anyway during the lockdown, many of them with generic pneumonia/flu like symptoms).

Italy is reporting the exact same thing and it's rich hearing this accusation from the US where the defining feature of the pandemic response has been a lack of testing. If you go on American social media, all you hear are stories of people coming down with a mysterious flu like illness a month ago, being denied testing and now they're better.

China doesn't really lie for the outside world, it's mainly lying to control the Chinese people. China needs to convince people to go back to work and not be afraid which means they need to be 100% sure the virus is eliminated before that happens because everyone is on edge and super jumpy about another outbreak forming. Part of why they're sending so much aid overseas is to prove to the Chinese people that there are already enough masks/ventilators domestically to deal with the remaining cases that China truly can afford to give away supplies now.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There are videos showing stacks of bodies being transported in minibuses at a time that the claimed death rate was several dozen per day, in a city of 10 million.
Yeah, that was because the once the lockdown started, official policy was all bodies were to be burnt immediately to prevent risk of transmission. Traditional Chinese funeral rites calls for Shou Ling (守灵) which is somewhat akin to the Jewish tradition of sitting Shiva where someone is sitting beside the corpse 24 hours a day for 3 days. This is, understandably, not a great practice in the middle of a pandemic. China, like all countries, had a significant share of people who didn't take the virus seriously in the early days and funeral rites are an important part of any culture so you had people lots of people practicing 守灵 in secret in defiance of the government and then getting sick. That's why they had to crack down so hard and enforce the burning of all bodies, even if the deceased died of a broken leg or something.

Also, the early days of quarantine were a mess and so you had a spike in deaths from things like people not being able to get their cancer medicines or the elderly suffering a fall in their apartment alone and not having anyone to call for help. You also had a ton of homeless people which, to this day, we're still not quite clear what happened to them since officially homelessness, is an uncomfortable topic that the Chinese Do Not Speak About in polite society.

None of this was hidden from the Chinese people, none of this was some huge revelation that happened after the lockdown was lifted. It's just that selective images from China were taken by Western media and the context was carefully stripped to make it seem way more sensationalist than it was.

Last edited by Shalmanese; 03-22-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Korea's CFR isn't low, despite having a large percentage of twentysomethings from the Shincheonji cult in their infected population. Even though Korea's outbreak has basically stabilized, the death toll continues to rise as it can take up to 6-8 weeks for COVID-19 to kill you. There have been more than 30 additional deaths in the past week, bringing the CFR to over 1.2%.

Based on this, it's looking like the US CFR could end up being several percent.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

I hope y'all are concerned enough to spare a couple of minutes to let your elected representatives and senators know how you think they're doing.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:58 AM

A little more concerned, now that a friend of mine in the city is in the hospital. He's tested positive for the virus and has pneumonia. First time this has affected me directly, and I expect I'll hear of other stricken friends when this is over.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I expect the numbers are vastly underreported everywhere. In China the government could cook the books. In the US they simply aren't testing people. It all results in an undercount.