Old 02-29-2020, 04:06 PM

I pulled in to the school to vote and there were only 8 cars in the entire lot, including mine. Nothing like the traffic jam that the general election made in 2018. There was only one political sign at the corner, an AARP sign about high drug prices.

There was one voter leaving as I entered the school. The usual retirees who run the polling station outnumbered me, the lone voter. Presumably most of the cars in the lot were theirs. As I was leaving one other voter pulled in.

I voted at about 3:15pm. I was voter #65 for the day at my precinct. At that rate they might get to 100 for the day. This is a heavily Republican leaning part of the Upstate of SC, but those numbers don't seem to point to much crossover voting here.

Last edited by Iggy; 02-29-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
South Carolina has an open primary meaning you can vote for any side regardless of party affiliation.

As such republicans are encouraging Operation Chaos where republicans are encouraging republican voters to vote for Sanders.

I wonder if this will have any effect?
Nope. It takes someone extremely motivated to go out and rat fuck another partyís primary. Will there be a few? Sure, but how many people are so motivated to take time on a Saturday?
Old 02-29-2020, 04:46 PM

Plus: let's face it, most Trump supporters already think he's going to beat whomever he's up against handily. They likely don't think they have to ratfuck anything because they think "the rats are already fucked".
Old 02-29-2020, 04:52 PM

It's one thing to say "yeah, that's great, we should totally vote in the other party's primary!"

It's another thing to actually get up on Saturday and decide to drive to the polling place and tell the poll workers you want a ballot for the other party, etc. I suspect very, very few would go to this effort. But we'll see.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

There could be the odd person or twenty who are Trump-Sanders voters who think of him as the lesser of the Democratic evils since he is a "disruptor" and/or sufficiently angry enough for their tastes. I for one almost registered as a Republican to vote for Jeb Bush not because he was less electable but because he was acceptable enough that it was worth it to vote for him versus Trump, but by the time the registration had ended the race was already down to Trump versus Cruz and that wasn't worth it.

I think there will be even fewer people voting for Sanders because he's a bad candidate. Last goaround there were some Democrats who mulled doing the same with Trump and for one, I don't think anything much came of it, and for two, even if it did, how it work out for them?
Old 02-29-2020, 06:12 PM

The AP has already said that Biden won, but they don't offer any numbers (yet).
Old 02-29-2020, 06:27 PM

Looks like Biden will win by 20+ points. Bernie the only other candidate to meet 15%.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:57 PM

We don't know the final margin yet. Early reports were rural counties which likely favor Biden more than most. Random Twitter says that the exit polls are 38 to 22, Biden over Bernie. Still a big Biden win, obviously.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I pulled in to the school to vote and there were only 8 cars in the entire lot, including mine. Nothing like the traffic jam that the general election made in 2018. ...
From the 538 live feed is this comment: "There has not been a surge of young voters at the polls this primary."

The part of the Sanders electability theory that he drives turnout, especially among younger voters, has been very short corroborative evidence so far this cycle.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:02 PM

Super Tuesday will be interesting
Old 02-29-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
From the 538 live feed is this comment: "There has not been a surge of young voters at the polls this primary."

The part of the Sanders electability theory that he drives turnout, especially among younger voters, has been very short corroborative evidence so far this cycle.
Yes, Sanders is very popular with people who don't vote as reliably as other demographics. And he sucks with the most reliable Democratic voters of all.

Great night for our avuncular friend Joe Biden. Now we have to hope that he can get above 15% in CA to prevent a Bernie delegate bonanza there.

I think the inevitability aura around Bernie is fading. Best case scenario: Bloomberg gets out Wednesday and buys into the Biden campaign.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:33 PM

I'm starting to see numbers. Biden has 51% with about 24% of precincts reporting. Sanders hovering around 18%, then Steyer with 11%, Buttigieg with 7.5%, Warren with 6% or so and Klobuchar far behind with just about 3%.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-29-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:38 PM

I'd have included this link to the numbers but it took 5+ minutes for the stupid page to reload and by then I had missed the edit window,
Old 02-29-2020, 07:42 PM

Wish the DNC would just do away with this 15% threshold requirement.

But yeah, that's a stronger Biden victory than expected. Bloomberg probably now pumping cash into Super Tuesday states with a Keystone XL-sized pipeline.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I'm starting to see numbers. Biden has 51% with about 24% of precincts reporting. Sanders hovering around 18%, then Steyer with 11%, Buttigieg with 7.5%, Warren with 6% or so and Klobuchar far behind with just about 3%.
With 50% reporting, it hasn't changed much:

Biden 50.0%
Sanders 19.3%
Steyer 11.5%
Buttigieg 7.6 %
Warren 6.6%
Klobuchar 3.0%

Everyone else < 2%
Old 02-29-2020, 08:16 PM

Steyer just announced he is out.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

So: impressive win for Biden.

The real question, of course, is how will this affect the voting on Tuesday? Because let's face it, the first four are for show, Super Tuesday's for dough: ~150 delegates chosen by the first four states, and ~1350 delegates - nine times as many - on Tuesday.

What the first four really do is tell people in the later states who's likely still in it, and who's probably a wasted vote by then. Sorry, Pete, Liz, and Amy, it ain't looking good for you guys. And with all the millions Steyer tossed into NV and SC, he sure doesn't have much to show for it. (ETA: as Aspenglow said, he's out. Wise choice.)

Wonder how many people have already voted in Tuesday's primaries, and how many are still in a position to take tonight's outcome into consideration?

Wonder if Pete or Amy will see the writing on the wall, and drop out tomorrow to make a Biden win on Tuesday more likely? Or will they wait until Wednesday to call it quits?

Last edited by RTFirefly; 02-29-2020 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:17 PM

Disappointed Bernie didn't do better, but not terribly surprised. We'll know much more about the state of the race on Tuesday.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Did Bernie congratulate Biden?

Otherwise, I assume this was one of those rigged primaries since Bernie didn’t win.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Did Bernie congratulate Biden?

Otherwise, I assume this was one of those rigged primaries since Bernie didnít win.
Yes, he did.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Wish the DNC would just do away with this 15% threshold requirement.

But yeah, that's a stronger Biden victory than expected. Bloomberg probably now pumping cash into Super Tuesday states with a Keystone XL-sized pipeline.
It should be winner take all; that would have solved a lot of their problems.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
It should be winner take all; that would have solved a lot of their problems.
Winner take all? Do you remember how close IA and NH were?
Old 02-29-2020, 09:21 PM

Everyone talked about how Biden could win this primary (instead of Iowa, NH, or NV) because he had the backing of blacks which make up a majority of the Dem electorate in SC.

But Biden still won whites 34% to 23% with Pete at 16%: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...election_usmap

It does look like Pete could only win with whites, but why didn't Biden get earlier wins? Why would white Dems in a southern state like Biden more so than white Dems in other states?
Old 02-29-2020, 09:32 PM

I'm surprised Steyer didn't hang on for just 2-3 more days, just so he could see out of curiosity's sake how many votes he'd get on Super Tuesday. I mean, he's come this far.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Everyone talked about how Biden could win this primary (instead of Iowa, NH, or NV) because he had the backing of blacks which make up a majority of the Dem electorate in SC.

But Biden still won whites 34% to 23% with Pete at 16%: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...election_usmap

It does look like Pete could only win with whites, but why didn't Biden get earlier wins? Why would white Dems in a southern state like Biden more so than white Dems in other states?
Pete was really good with the retail politics and voter outreach strategy in IA and NH. Those voters are used to be coddled, kissed and fawned over. SC is a bit different, Kamala found out that voters werenít interested in a February primary on the 4th of July last year.

And it didnít hurt Biden that Bernie won a landslide in NV causing a stop Bernie panic.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised Steyer didn't hang on for just 2-3 more days, just so he could see out of curiosity's sake how many votes he'd get on Super Tuesday. I mean, he's come this far.
Because he's a pathetic piece of shit with no heart, and that's what guys like that do. The whole thing was a lark for him from the very beginning, just another thing that he could buy. Well, you can't buy heart.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
Because he's a pathetic piece of shit with no heart, and that's what guys like that do. The whole thing was a lark for him from the very beginning, just another thing that he could buy. Well, you can't buy heart.
Steyer seems like a decent human being.

Him running for president was a giant mistake, but he is a good person. I think he donated $100 million to democratic elections in 2018, and 80 million in 2016.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocracy View Post
538's final forecast:

popular vote:
40 Biden
21 Sanders
13 Steyer
9 Buttigieg
8 Warren
5 Klobuchar
3 Gabbard

My predictions are that Steyer and Warren switch places and Biden over-performs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I think Biden will do worse than that 40% and I think Sanders will do better than 21%. I will be shocked if Tom Steyer gets double digit support.
well, I was wrong about all this. Looking at the numbers, tho, it looks like Sanders got about what was expected while everyone below him did not get the votes expected. Everyone who defected from those candidates seems to have gone to Biden. To me, that looks a lot like a "stop Bernie" effort.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:54 PM

Biden had a fabulous night, gave the speech of his life and will be on the air for free with clips of that speech the next two days. We got ourselves a race again. I think he tops 15% in CA and TX and prevents a delegate bonanza for Bernie.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Yes, Sanders is very popular with people who don't vote as reliably as other demographics. And he sucks with the most reliable Democratic voters of all.

Great night for our avuncular friend Joe Biden. Now we have to hope that he can get above 15% in CA to prevent a Bernie delegate bonanza there.
Yes, like I said- wait for SC. Iowa and NH arent really that important. But honestly the real test is Super Tuesday.

Note that Sanders got whupped by Hillary in CA.

Last edited by DrDeth; 02-29-2020 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Steyer seems like a decent human being.

Him running for president was a giant mistake, but he is a good person. I think he donated $100 million to democratic elections in 2018, and 80 million in 2016.
Yes, I just wish he had thrown his hat in the ring earlier.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:49 PM

I have been the biggest Biden basher here but even I will admit that his speech was good. He showed some heart for a change. He sounded like he had some energy and confidence for once.

There's a big difference between a one-way speech like that and a debate, though. My fear is that if he's the nominee, he would be extremely rattled in the debates and appear confused, old, and tired. However, there's also a chance that he would be so angry at Trump that he'd throw out all the decorum and let his inner Irishman off the leash - that might actually work. Raw, unscripted, emotional energy can work. Attempting to be cool and collected when his mind is actually like a pinball machine will not work - he will just mumble and stutter and hesitate.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
I have been the biggest Biden basher here but even I will admit that his speech was good. He showed some heart for a change. He sounded like he had some energy and confidence for once.

There's a big difference between a one-way speech like that and a debate, though. My fear is that if he's the nominee, he would be extremely rattled in the debates and appear confused, old, and tired. However, there's also a chance that he would be so angry at Trump that he'd throw out all the decorum and let his inner Irishman off the leash - that might actually work. ....
If he is against sanders, that might be a problem, yes. Sanders is good at debates.

But against trump? No problemo.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:25 PM

I vote in Michigan on March 10. I told my wife this morning that my vote is still for Bloomberg, unless Biden overperforms in SC and does well on Super Tuesday.

So now Biden's half way to winning my vote back. Heck of a day for Joe.

ETA: And if anyone's looking for Joe's victory speech, here it is.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 02-29-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:17 AM

I am so ready for these primaries to be over.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 03-01-2020, 12:49 AM

FUCK YEAH!!! The Empire strikes back!
Old 03-01-2020, 12:52 AM

You know the Empire were the bad guys right?
Old 03-01-2020, 12:54 AM

From a certain point of view.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Say what you like about the tenets of the Dark Side - at least it's an ethos.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Say what you like about the tenets of the Dark Side - at least it's an ethos.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Biden had a fabulous night, gave the speech of his life and will be on the air for free with clips of that speech the next two days. We got ourselves a race again. I think he tops 15% in CA and TX and prevents a delegate bonanza for Bernie.
Yeah, that and I think he probably saved himself in Virginia, too. Bernie will still have a good night on Tuesday, but it's a question of how good. Does he blow Biden out of the water or does he just win?
Old 03-01-2020, 08:21 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
I vote in Michigan on March 10. I told my wife this morning that my vote is still for Bloomberg, unless Biden overperforms in SC and does well on Super Tuesday.

So now Biden's half way to winning my vote back. Heck of a day for Joe.

ETA: And if anyone's looking for Joe's victory speech, here it is.
Why do you vote for a winner instead of a candidate's platform?
Old 03-01-2020, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Well, see- to me - Job One is Dump trump. Their platform, youthful peccadillos, and all that is secondary.

And honestly their personal platform doesnt matter that much. Bernies UHC plan is the platinum cadillac plan- which will never, ever get passed by Congress. Cant happen, wont happen. Period. Even if the Dems win the Senate.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
What DrDerth said. Imo, stopping Trump means stopping Bernie. Figuring out which of the leading moderate candidates will be able to most effectively do both gets my vote.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I don't think Steyer is a 'good person' because he funds left leaning causes. I really think the idea that being left or right leaning is itself is morally good/bad or vice versa is a poisonous and societally corrosive one.

However I would assume his quitting the race now is because he wants the Democrats to win, realizes after this showing (in his strongest state, per previous polls) he won't be nominee, and to clear the field for those who actually might be. Which is not being a 'POS' or 'lacking heart'.

Last edited by Corry El; 03-01-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
If he is against sanders, that might be a problem, yes. Sanders is good at debates.

But against trump? No problemo.
Uh, yeah, there could be a big problemo. Biden has shown again and again that he's shitty at responding to questions - he's rattled and defensive when responding to the moderators, and he's even worse when responding to other people on the debate stage. When someone throws a tough question his way, it becomes a major uphill battle for him to just answer the question at all, let alone answer it with confidence and authority.

If he's the nominee, he will finally get a break from debating and have the opportunity to deliver stump speeches, which could work out better for him. I think he has the capacity to sound good when he's just delivering a one-way speech to an audience. If he does that enough, in enough places around the country, he could build up momentum and get voters energized.

But then he's going to have to face Trump in the debates and I really hope he can stand up to the heat.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:44 PM

Anyone have any doubt that Bernie can run rings around trump in a debate?
Old 03-01-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
I have far more confidence in Bernie vs. Trump than Biden vs. Trump. Joe beats himself on a debate stage. It's nothing but, 'Sputter, Obama, Time!'.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:59 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Trump doesn't debate, he screams, interrupts and lies.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:08 PM

I've never heard him scream during a debate. He does interrupt and he does lie, but I think that can be reasonably expected to happen in most debates between human beings.

The debates really aren't about the candidates' policies. They're about the candidates flexing on each other. Like it or not, it's part of the process.