View Poll Results: Who do you vote for in a three-way race?
Trump 13 11.82%
Sanders 71 64.55%
Bloomberg 26 23.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2020, 03:02 PM

...who do you vote for in a three-way race?

...lets change up the scenarios.

Lets assume Bernie wins the Democratic nomination comfortably. Bloomberg decides to run as an independent. The polls suggest that Bloomberg might edge out Bernie in a couple of states that matter, but the others are all at a coin-toss.

Who do you throw your support behind? Who gets your vote? (Try to vote without "cheating" to see what everyone else did first, it would be interesting to see how split the vote would be, if at all.)
Old 02-17-2020, 03:07 PM

Whoever gets the Democratic nomination gets my vote. Period. I probably won't vote for Bernie in the primary, but I'm "Bernie all the way" if he wins the nomination.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:08 PM

It is all about beating Trump, so no third party candidate please. Bloomberg would drain more votes from Sanders than Trump, so a very bad thing.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:16 PM

I would hope Bloomberg would throw his support behind Sanders IRL.

I would vote Sanders. I live in a red state where my vote doesn't matter but still Sanders all the way.

I would hope the ones who do vote Bloomberg do not live in swing states.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Whoever gets the Democratic nomination gets my vote. Period. I probably won't vote for Bernie in the primary, but I'm "Bernie all the way" if he wins the nomination.
Same here. I haven't come down in favor of one candidate yet. Missouri's primary is after Super Tuesday, so I figure the field will have thinned since then. In waiting to see how that shakes out.

But yeah, I'm voting Democrat up and down the ballot, pretty much whoever it is If there's some local race where the Democrat is like a serial killer or something, I'd probably vote third party. Under no circumstances will I vote for a Republican.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:28 PM

As long as the Dem nominee is a US citizen over 35 years of age and has a pulse, they'll get my vote. Any vote for a 3rd party candidate is a vote for Trump.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

I'd vote against whoever was petulantly trying to play spoiler, so in this circumstance I'd vote for Sanders.

Although I'm not a particularly big fan of either of them, Bloomberg is overall a more problematic candidate for me generally. Other than perhaps pragmatic electability, where I think he would likely have an advantage. But I'm not sure if naked realpolitik is quite enough to get me to favor Bloomberg.

That said if it were a disgruntled Sanders running as an independent against official candidate Bloomberg, I'd vote for Bloomberg without hesitation. For the same reason as above - spoiler candidates suck.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

As Tamerlane said, and my politics align pretty well with Sanders and Warren. I'll likely be voting for Warren when I make it to early voting in the next few days, although I keep vacillating between her and Sanders. But if Bloomberg or Sanders goes spoiler, I'll be first in line to piss on their names.

That said, I think the chance of Bloomberg going third party is vanishingly small; he's too smart for that. And the chance that Sanders will do so is even smaller.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:04 PM

None of the above. Bloomberg and Trump are the same person for all intents and purposes other than claimed party affiliation. And Sanders is a non-starter. There is no scenario where's I'd vote for any of these three candidates.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:06 PM

Whoever is the Democratic nominee gets my vote. Since the scenario specified in the OP is Sanders-D and Bloomberg-I my vote would go to Sanders.

My guess is that in this scenario that the swing states would end up something like Trump 48%, Sanders 42%, and Bloomberg 10%. Trump would likely win the electoral college with somewhere around 350 electoral votes in this scenario.

Last edited by FlikTheBlue; 02-17-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:11 PM

I'm not a Sanders fan, but since this is the one year in four that he's a Democrat I would vote for him.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlikTheBlue View Post
Whoever is the Democratic nominee gets my vote. Since the scenario specified in the OP is Sanders-D and Bloomberg-I my vote would go to Sanders.

My guess is that in this scenario that the swing states would end up something like Trump 48%, Sanders 42%, and Bloomberg 10%. Trump would likely win the electoral college with somewhere around 350 electoral votes in this scenario.
Pretty much. Assuming Bloomberg continued to campaign hard and go all-out with his many billions even as an independent, he'd be far more a vote-splitter than 2000 Nader ever was.

Last edited by Velocity; 02-17-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:51 PM

I put down Bloomberg, but only because I was careless and didn’t read the post under the poll, I just saw the three choices. If I could, I’d change it to Sanders. I’d vote for the Democratic nominee over a third party candidate - no matter who it is.

But I really don’t think it’s a plausible situation.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 02-17-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:56 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
This.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:34 PM

For the record, if Bloomberg somehow gets the Dem Nom and Sanders ran 3rd party, I would vote for Bloomberg. I'm voting for the Dem Nom no matter what as no third party candidate this side of Teddy Roosevelt has ever come close to winning.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:40 PM

In the general election, any Dem. In the primary... my California ballot retains names of quitters. Even with a mail-in ballot, I'll wait till primary day before guessing who has the best chance. I guess that makes me a swing voter.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Whichever one has a better chance of defeating Trump. Which I predict will be the Democratic nominee, who in the OP's scenario is Sanders. So I would vote for Sanders.

If somehow Sanders and Bloomberg looked like they had an equal chance of beating Trump, I would vote for Bloomberg.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:39 AM

I join the many who vote for The Nominee of the Democratic Party, whoever he or she is.

(I suppose we might imagine scenarios where the Convention somehow dissolved in utter chaos, hundreds of times worse than the Iowa caucus, and two different candidates decide that they're the nominee. But that's another thread, for the Horror Stories forum.)

In OP's scenario, I'm afraid Trump gets his 270 electoral votes very easily. But what if the election is thrown to the House (with V.P. chosen by Senate). Who has the numbers then?
Old 02-18-2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
what if the election is thrown to the House (with V.P. chosen by Senate). Who has the numbers then?
Since Republicans control more House delegations, they'd win the presidency. (28 to 22? Someone can correct me)

Assuming the GOP still holds the Senate, they'd pick a Republican VP, too.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:44 AM

Interesting. Nearly one-quarter of Dopers in the poll say they'd go for Bloomberg.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:12 AM
Charter Member

I read the poll conditions too quickly and selected Bloomberg, only to later realize that in the hypothetical, he's an independent and my vote would be wasted, and it should have gone to Sanders, the Democratic nominee.

Of course, not being American, I won't be participating for realsies.

Last edited by Bryan Ekers; 02-18-2020 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:31 AM
Charter Member

I prefer Mike over Bernie, and I prefer a small soap dish over small hands. I'll vote for anyone with the Dem nomination as I belive that is the best opportunity to take out Donnie two scoops.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:13 AM

If Bloomberg goes all in
Without a Dem Nom Win
And then he goes Indy
He gives win to Trumpy

Last edited by Locrian; 02-18-2020 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
Interesting. Nearly one-quarter of Dopers in the poll say they'd go for Bloomberg.
OP should have named the poll choices

(Republican) Donald Trump
(Democrat) Bernie Sanders
(Independent) Mike Bloomberg

Seems some people voted too soon
Old 02-18-2020, 11:15 AM

I also voted too soon, not realizing Bloomberg was Independent candidate. I will vote for who ever the Democratic candidate is and will not vote third party. My vote in the poll should be for Sanders, unless Bloomberg is the actual Democratic candidate.

We MUST get Trump out of the White House. Hope the party can come together and get firmly behind one candidate.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:10 PM

Hasn't Bloomberg already ruled out this scenario?

https://www.businessinsider.com/bloo...-warren-2020-1

His whole shtick has been pointing out what a trumpster fire the current president is, so why would he do the one thing that would give the most support to a Trump reelection?
Old 02-18-2020, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
+1000

Of the current top 5 in the Democratic primary (Bloomberg excluded, since he hasn't competed yet), Sanders and Biden are at the bottom of my list. But I'll vote for any of them to get Trump out of office. Without ranked-choice voting, third party/independent candidates can't be anything but spoilers. And the fallback if there's no EC majority is one vote per state delegation in the House, which gives Republicans a massive advantage (currently, only 23 state delegations are majority D).
Old 02-18-2020, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Don't know. I won't vote for Sanders, and I would vote for Trump to keep Bernie out of the White House. But who I'd vote for, I haven't made up my mind.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 02-18-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom lamb View Post
OP should have named the poll choices

(Republican) Donald Trump
(Democrat) Bernie Sanders
(Independent) Mike Bloomberg

Seems some people voted too soon
Yeah I think when it came down to it even the general electorate, less left leaning than the SDMB 'electorate' would be unlikely to give Bloomberg as Independent as much as Perot's peak % in 1992, <20%. The positions Bloomberg is staking out now are within the Democratic Party mainstream, though particular Democrats are allowed not to agree with them, and/or question Bloomberg's motives, past positions, character, use of his own money...anything they'd like to question.

But third party has any remote chance of winning only if it's got a genuinely different take on really key issue(s) than D/R. Perot in '92 was distinct in sense of populist (including anti-trade) traditionalist/rightist positions different from GOP then (part of what Trump later planted in the GOP). But it was still too close to two Republicans v. a Democrat: Democrat wins. Bloomberg in 2020 general as independent is basically two Democrats v a Republican, Republican wins. I think Bloomberg understands that even if there are some people who don't. And there are lots of easier ways to help Trump if that's what he actually wanted to do.

Last edited by Corry El; 02-18-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:58 PM

The scenario that would really make it tough for me is if Bloomberg gets the D nomination, and Warren somehow decided to run 3rd party with Booker or Castro as VP. The likelihood of that happening is about the same as hell freezing over, but man that would be a rough choice. Seems like enough anti-Bloomberg democrats are out there to make that a viable 3rd party choice, doesn't it? I suppose for Bernie people, it would be the same as if Bernie ran as an Independent, which seems much more likely. In that case, I'd have to weigh where the most public support is and vote accordingly. #1 priority is beating Trump. If the independent choice of Bernie, or my Warren/Booker dream ticket is more likely to do that, then that's where my vote goes. If Bloomberg-D is most likely to win, then my vote goes there.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:53 PM

Sanders. I don't think he can beat Trump, but I'll vote for the Democratic nominee because that's the person with the best shot. And I hope to God there IS no third party candidate.

I really wish Bloomberg would bow out of the race but continue his multi-squillion dollar campaign to discredit Trump.

And I really, REALLY wish the Dems had a better slate of candidates to choose from. Still puzzled as to why they don't.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:06 PM

Ooops! didn't read the question before I voted. I thought it was just an order of preference vote, not linked to a particular election scenario. Please consider one Bloomberg vote to be moved to Sanders. This isn't an election that I can afford to waste my vote on an independent.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliebly View Post
And I really, REALLY wish the Dems had a better slate of candidates to choose from. Still puzzled as to why they don't.
Which Democratic candidate(s) would be better, that aren't running yet?
Old 02-21-2020, 10:57 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
I'd like to see Tammy Duckworth run.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I'd like to see Tammy Duckworth run.
Or even Tammy Baldwin.

Heck, Tammy and Tammy!
Old 02-24-2020, 08:49 AM
SDSAB

Bloomberg, with some reluctance.

Trump must go, to save the republic. Sanders just had his first heart attack, has been actively hostile to the Democratic Party in the past, and temperamentally and philosophically will be able to accomplish very little with Republicans in Congress. Bloomberg got some good things done in NYC, has been very strong on gun safety and climate change, and has executive experience. I remain troubled by his support of stop-and-frisk, redlining, the toxic-masculinity culture of his company and those NDAs.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Bloomberg, with some reluctance.

Trump must go, to save the republic. Sanders just had his first heart attack, has been actively hostile to the Democratic Party in the past, and temperamentally and philosophically will be able to accomplish very little with Republicans in Congress. Bloomberg got some good things done in NYC, has been very strong on gun safety and climate change, and has executive experience. I remain troubled by his support of stop-and-frisk, redlining, the toxic-masculinity culture of his company and those NDAs.

You'd really vote for a 3rd party run by Bloomberg over the Democratic nominee, if it's Sanders?

I can understand preferring Bloomberg to Sanders for the nomination. I can't understand voting for a 3rd party over the Democratic nominee, if one's primary goal is defeating Trump.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 02-24-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:12 AM
SDSAB

Hence my reluctance. Given Sanders's baggage, and Bloomberg's billions, I think Bloomberg just might beat him, and he would then be a better President.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Hence my reluctance. Given Sanders's baggage, and Bloomberg's billions, I think Bloomberg just might beat him, and he would then be a better President.
Then I think we could be in big trouble. Of all the possible scenarios, I thought "vote for the Democratic nominee and not the 3rd party candidate" was the most obvious in the "how to beat Trump" manual. It's troubling to me that some Democrats apparently aren't on the same page. I think you should reconsider. Bernie really might possibly win, but not if a bunch of Democrats don't vote for him. I don't think there's any possibility a 3rd party candidate wins -- they can only sink the Democrat.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:57 AM

Sure a third party could win. We're all just taking wild guesses, remember!
Old 02-24-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Sure a third party could win. We're all just taking wild guesses, remember!
That's true! I'm just amazed that anyone who's prioritizing "must beat Trump!" would have a wild guess different than mine with regards to whether or not to vote 3rd party.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I'm just amazed that anyone who's prioritizing "must beat Trump!" would have a wild guess different than mine with regards to whether or not to vote 3rd party.
Ditto. If someone's choosing between voting Dem or voting 3rd party - regardless of who the Dem nominee is or who the 3rd party candidate is - their vote for a 3rd party candidate makes it easier for Trump to win another four years.

Why would they do that, if they don't want Trump to win?
Old 02-24-2020, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Brian Schatz.

And of course, a bunch of candidates who ran and have already dropped out: Inslee, Harris, Gillibrand, Castro.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:55 AM

I'll note that I would reluctantly vote the Democrat in the reverse of this scenario - if Bloomberg won the nomination, somehow, and Bernie ran 3rd party. It's imperative to vote for the Democrat if you want to beat Trump.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:35 PM
SDSAB

Bear in mind, too, that some states (including Ohio) have "sore loser" laws prohibiting candidates who ran and lost in a partisan primary from appearing again on the ballot in the fall.