Old 02-26-2020, 06:14 PM

Would “Jeopardy” wait for me if I was on a long winning streak...

... and had to miss days for a prior commitment?

Also, how do people on long streaks explain their absences to their families and employers? I thought they were forbidden to tell others the results before air.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:15 PM

They tape five shows a day. Even if you win 20 in a row, it’s less than a week.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer J. Fudd View Post
They tape five shows a day. Even if you win 20 in a row, it’s less than a week.
They tape five shows a day but not on consecutive days. I believe they were taping 5 shows on Tuesday and another 5 on Thursday one week and then take a week off. I have a vague recollection that the schedule may have changed recently.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
... and had to miss days for a prior commitment?

Also, how do people on long streaks explain their absences to their families and employers? I thought they were forbidden to tell others the results before air.
Maybe you don't have to tell "results," (i.e. I won $30000) but just say "I'm still on the show so I still need to take more PTO from my job".
Old 03-07-2020, 11:55 PM

The show tapes Tuesday and Wednesday of alternating weeks. 5 shows each on those days.

Very few contestants have ever participated in more than two taping sessions. If there is a "prior commitment" maybe that contestant is moved back in favor of another contestant with no prior commitment. The nearly two weeks break should give the carryover winner plenty of time to clear their schedule if at all possible. Those with impossible schedules are probably not selected for the show in the first place.

Someone on another board was convinced that people walked away or tanked due to the onerous demands of taping. I really think they could not make the mental leap that the show was not taped on the same day to day schedule that they saw it.

As far as not revealing what happened, attending two taping sessions could just mean that you won a single game.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:36 AM

Seems like in Ken Jennings's book about his experience, he had to connive with his boss to take every Wednesday off for many weeks. Boss knew and family knew what was going on, but no one else. He'd fly from Salt Lake to LA and back for the taping and then do it again the following week. So no, they didn't wait till it was convenient for him--he just had to be there.

Now I read the book some time ago and it's possible I'm wrong--but I believe that was the scenario.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:53 AM
Elephant Whisperer

If I were on a serious Jeopardy winning streak, I just might tell any employer who had a problem with that, "So long. Been nice knowin' ya." My needs are simple, and I could live years off a big jackpot.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 03-08-2020 at 12:56 AM.