Old 03-04-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post

totalling 7758 h.p.
Shouldn't that be xp not hp?

7000+ hp would have taken a party of 50 and 3 weeks to kill.

Last edited by wolfman; 03-04-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Shouldn't that be xp not hp?
Almost certainly . Hard to say whose typo that was, though. Those early manuals had some shit editing.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Weapon effectiveness vs. armor type was an optional rule in 2nd edition, but relevantly, it was an optional rule that was included in Baldur's Gate (and, in fact, expanded: In the book, armors had different effectiveness vs. piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning, but the computer game added a fourth category for ranged).
Old 03-05-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimera757 View Post
I like the original BG but didn't really like the 2nd Edition. Hopefully this will be better. I plan to buy.
I liked SOA more than the Original Baldur's Gate I think. All the NPC storylines were nice.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
I have played plenty of old school D&D games, and wizards starting battle with (say) immediate immunity to non-magical and magical weapons was not a thing I ever encountered. YMMV, of course.
Spell trigger changed that.

I think the 5E rules do a good job of balancing classes. You used to carry the wizard until he got to level 6 and before he could pull his weight. Then at some point you became his henchman. THat's when you take the +6 sword he conjured up for you and cut off his hand, cut out his eye and kill him.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Spell trigger changed that.

I think the 5E rules do a good job of balancing classes. You used to carry the wizard until he got to level 6 and before he could pull his weight. Then at some point you became his henchman. THat's when you take the +6 sword he conjured up for you and cut off his hand, cut out his eye and kill him.
You forgot to also cut off his head...

All of those magical and physical damage protections, and what dispelled them----collectively, 'mage chess'---were a difficult thing to memorize. Poisoned throwing daggers were a good low level way to end that foolishness, IME, as mages typically had laughable saves v Poison, poison counted as elemental damage (Stoneskin wouldn't stop it) and the daggers were non-magical. Spam those at the annoyance, if you couldn't Breach or Dispel his stuff, and you were usually good to go.

Insta-casting 10 spells by the enemy mage got to be really annoying. Especially if you ostensibly surprised the bugger. OTOH, who wouldn't have Stoneskin up 24/7 if you were in a D&D world?