Old 02-28-2020, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

New Orleans Tabasco and hot sauce, what do these condiments go on?

I should have posted this while I was in New Orleans, but this will be a good reference as I definitely plan to go back.

It seemed like Tabasco or some other hot sauce was present next to the ketchup bottle and salt and pepper everywhere in New Orleans. Now, l like spicy food but couldn’t figure out what you actually put the hot sauce on.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
I should have posted this while I was in New Orleans, but this will be a good reference as I definitely plan to go back.

It seemed like Tabasco or some other hot sauce was present next to the ketchup bottle and salt and pepper everywhere in New Orleans. Now, l like spicy food but couldn’t figure out what you actually put the hot sauce on.
Well I know people put Tabasco on a variety of dishes, including gumbo, jambalaya, crawfish etoufee, etc. You don't have to; it's just there if you feel the urge.

Tabasco's not so much a New Orleans thing as it is a South Louisiana thing. Jambalaya and gumbo. There's also Tony Chachere's.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Here's a very old thread on that very subject.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:53 PM

Agree with eggs - Tabasco and Tony's on eggs for sure.

Tabasco in bloody mary is also a thing.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:08 PM

It's pretty good on fried potatoes.

Also, forum change?
Old 02-28-2020, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
It's pretty good on fried potatoes.

Also, forum change?
I reported it for a move to the café where I had intended it, the board had been timing out on me and I must have pulled up an old session where I was in the game room.

Last edited by dalej42; 02-28-2020 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Agree with eggs - Tabasco and Tony's on eggs for sure.

Tabasco in bloody mary is also a thing.
Ok, I do remember seeing it at this small café that mainly served breakfast stuff, I had a sandwich with ham and eggs and there were definitely hot sauce bottles everywhere
Old 02-28-2020, 10:45 PM

Tabasco, or other hot sauce, is good on just about anything. Honestly about the only thing I've never put hot sauce on is a good steak. Every restaurant should have hot sauce on the table.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:44 PM

It's on my table next to the salt and pepper. It gets used every day.
Eggs
Potatoes
Meat
Fish
Pretty much anything, except desserts.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:11 AM

I had a friend who carried it in her purse and used it on just about anything she ate. Pizza, big mac, chili, salad, sandwich, I can't think of a lunch we ate together that the bottle didn't come out of her purse. She was from the Bayou, and her mother used to ship her a monthly can of Community coffee and a bag of smoked chickory.

Last edited by TruCelt; 02-29-2020 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Pretty much anything, except desserts.
Not sure about Tabasco specifically, as I haven’t bought it in years, but hot sauce is great on vanilla ice cream.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

I worked at a restaurant once with a woman who mixed Tabasco into her ketchup before eating fries. I thought it was weird at first, but got hooked--and to this day, I almost never eat fries unless I can put some Tabasco into the ketchup. Other hot sauces just aren't as good.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Moved from the Game Room to Cafe Society
Old 02-29-2020, 10:33 AM
Shouting Grasshopper

Tabasco adds a real nice tang to biscuits and gravy and New England clam chowdah.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

I agree with the answer "just about anything." I carry a bottle in my briefcase and have three different hot sauces, as well as Tony Chachere's, on my desk at work. 7-8 varieties at the house.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Tabasco chipotle flavor goes on all my breakfast sandwiches.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Tabasco, or other hot sauce, is good on just about anything. Honestly about the only thing I've never put hot sauce on is a good steak. Every restaurant should have hot sauce on the table.
Yup. It goes good on eggs, pizza, tacos, and just about anything where a little added heat is enjoyable.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:55 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Relevant ad campaign.

(Obviously, IMHO, all of these things are interchangeable. As a resident of North Carolina, however, I am obliged to claim that Texas Pete is the best.)
Old 02-29-2020, 10:56 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

double post

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 02-29-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, I’m with the pretty much anything crew. Whenever I serve any creole or Cajun dish, I usually add some to my food at the table, especially because the vinegar tang cuts through the richness of these dishes. The pepper isn’t really spicy to me, but I do like the flavor. It adds a little heat, but a lot of flavor, for me.

It’s also a must for me with any kind of battered fried food, like shrimp, fish, or chicken. Once again, I love the way vinegar cuts through these foods, plus the flavor and little bit of heat these sauces add.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Well I know people put Tabasco on a variety of dishes, including gumbo, jambalaya, crawfish etoufee, etc. You don't have to; it's just there if you feel the urge.

Tabasco's not so much a New Orleans thing as it is a South Louisiana thing. Jambalaya and gumbo. There's also Tony Chachere's.
Don’t forget Crystal. Seems everyone I know prefers it to Tabasco, though I prefer the bit of funk Tabasco has. That said, I do like Crystal’s extra hot (which is still not all that hot in the hot sauce universe.) Louisiana-brand hot sauce is quite good, and a bit milder than these.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:24 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I enjoy spicy food more than the rest of my family, so I put it out when I’m serving salsa, chili, etc. so I can add a little extra zing to my portion.

I also shake it directly on spare ribs, barbecue, and mix it into my “oyster dope” when I’m in New Orleans or anywhere raw oysters are cheap enough to allow the luxury of “oyster dope.”
Old 02-29-2020, 11:25 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Don’t forget Crystal. Seems everyone I know prefers it to Tabasco, though I prefer the bit of funk Tabasco has. That said, I do like Crystal’s extra hot (which is still not all that hot in the hot sauce universe.) Louisiana-brand hot sauce is quite good, and a bit milder than these.
I prefer Tabasco over Crystal, too. I’ll have to try Louisiana...sometimes I want more oomph than Frank’s but less than Tabasco.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I prefer Tabasco over Crystal, too. I’ll have to try Louisiana...sometimes I want more oomph than Frank’s but less than Tabasco.
They’re the same heat level. (Both 450 Scoville.) I use Franks for Buffalo wings, but Louisiana as a table sauce.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Tabasco is a unique sauce with a pleasant musty fermented flavor. It's very good but only in a narrow range of foods. I mostly crave it on hashbrowns/fried eggs/diner skillet-type breakfast dishes. I wouldn't put it on, say, pizza or chicken wings, like I would a lot of other hot sauces.

Crystal is, to me, generic and interchangeable with other cayenne Louisiana sauces like Franks, Louisiana, Pete's, the Goya equivalent, these widely available plastic squeeze bottles grocery sauces. I'd use this class of sauces on a very wide range of foods.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
(Obviously, IMHO, all of these things are interchangeable. As a resident of North Carolina, however, I am obliged to claim that Texas Pete is the best.)
I disagree. Some hot sauces are interchangeable but Tabasco, in small doses, can really bring certain flavors out, rather than just adding heat.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Louisiana-style hot sauce is made of red peppers, salt, and vinegar. No garlic, no 'spices'. Louisiana-style hot sauces go well with American food such as eggs, hashbrowns, fried oysters, fried shrimp, etc. (Can you really have an oyster or shrimp po'boy without Tabasco?)

FWIW, I find Crystal to be milder than Tabasco.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:12 PM

Red and jalapeño Tabascos go fine on omelets, taters, some burgers. Crystal? Meh. If there's nothing else, then OK. But I just discovered a marvel from Gilroy California, garlic capitol of the universe, and it's not over-garlicky. The Pepper Plant, original California style hot pepper sauce; shake well. BlossomValleyFoods.Com - to me it's not hot-hot, but more like liquid black pepper. Very popular on the Central Coast. Jazzes up a po'boy, you betcha!
Old 02-29-2020, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
Tabasco is a unique sauce with a pleasant musty fermented flavor. It's very good but only in a narrow range of foods. I mostly crave it on hashbrowns/fried eggs/diner skillet-type breakfast dishes. I wouldn't put it on, say, pizza or chicken wings, like I would a lot of other hot sauces.
See, I'd put it on all those. Tabasco on pizza is my first food memory of Tabasco, so perhaps that's why I associate it so closely with that. (Now, it wasn't a pleasant food memory. I was about 7 or so at the time and had no experience whatsoever with hot sauces, so I was in for a surprise. Why that didn't put me off Tabasco, I don't know, but I can down shots of that stuff now.)

For wings, I do a mix of Frank's and Tabasco if I'm doing Buffalo style (plus I have a few personal ingredients to doctor up my wing sauce--my standard additions are a bit of yellow mustard and some garlic, and a little bit of something sweet like honey to take a bit of the vinegary edge of everything off. Not enough to identify the flavor, though.) If I'm just getting breaded fried wings, then Tabasco is my first choice there, though I'll take any Louisiana style hot sauce. Back in college I was so addicted to the stuff that I even put it on my salad. I love that fermented, slightly boozy taste it has.

Last edited by pulykamell; 02-29-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:02 PM

I use Tabasco a lot, and it goes especially well with pasta dishes with a base of tomato sauce like Spaghetti Neapolitan or Bolognese or similar.

ETA: I think every Italian mama would kill me for that advice, but I like it. I also put grated Gouda on my pasta because I can't stand the stink of Parmesan.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 02-29-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
I use Tabasco a lot, and it goes especially well with pasta dishes with a base of tomato sauce like Spaghetti Neapolitan or Bolognese or similar.

ETA: I think every Italian mama would kill me for that advice, but I like it. I also put grated Gouda on my pasta because I can't stand the stink of Parmesan.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Why the outrage ? Spicy tomato sauce is fine.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
Why the outrage ? Spicy tomato sauce is fine.
The is equally for the use of Gouda. I hope it's aged at least! (That would actually make a fine parmesan substitute, IMHO.)
Old 02-29-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
The is equally for the use of Gouda. I hope it's aged at least! (That would actually make a fine parmesan substitute, IMHO.)
To be honest, mostly it's young Gouda. But I agree that aged Gouda is better for that purpose.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Relevant ad campaign.

Woah! I've lived here damn near half a century, and I never knew Texas Pete was an NC brand. That helps explain something, because Texas Pete is some bullshit, and I've often wondered why so many restaurants will have that as their only hot sauce. Knowing it's a local product helps me understand, even if I still don't like it at all.

If I want a local brand, I'll go for Firewalker Hot Sauce, much fruitier and less vinegary/fermented than Tabasco, but still really good. Doesn't work with ketchup, though.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Red beans and rice. Red beans and rice. Par Dieu, red beans and rice!
Old 02-29-2020, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Mrs. actually did use my 5 year old gouda from the Netherlands in the cheese weasel just two weeks ago, to use on our spaghetti, mistaking it for our reggiano parmesan. I didn't realize it at first, but did recognize that it was quite tasty. I still prefer to savor the aged gouda on its own, however.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Cholula works nicely for me on my enchiladas.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
Red beans and rice. Red beans and rice. Par Dieu, red beans and rice!
OH, yeah. (Drool)
Old 02-29-2020, 07:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Agreed. I tend to use Latin hot sauces like Cholula and Valentina on Latin food.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:16 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

I don't think there's a bottle of Tabasco in the house. I have a couple of mini-bottles in my travel bag, but for regular use I prefer Crystal. Of course, there are a plethora of other hot sauces in the house, each with its place. But for a Louisiana-type sauce, Tabasco comes in a distant third place.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:12 AM

I don't often use hot sauce on anything, but sometimes Tabasco is just right on pizza, applied a drop or two at a time every few bites.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Cholula Hot Sauce is only half-right. It's a sauce.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:31 AM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Cholula is on the eggs I am eating as I am typing. It's thicker then Tabasco, with a more rounded flavor.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

If I don't put Tabasco on my eggs, I use Sriracha.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Whenever I have a hankering for chips and salsa, I get store-bought regular old salsa and mix in some Cholula, because even name brand salsa is too chunky for me yet not hot enough. Restaurant salsa is still too chunky and thus not as good as a hotness delivery mechanism. I guess my ideal salsa would be a mix of Cholula and Pace/Tostitos but made with fresh ingredients.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg419 View Post
Not sure about Tabasco specifically, as I haven’t bought it in years, but hot sauce is great on vanilla ice cream.
Some twenty years ago Dreyer's had an ice cream they called Chilly Chili. It was vanilla with a mole ribbon and spicy Spanish peanuts. I bought a half gallon, loved it and consumed it in about three days.

I went back to the store; there were none to be had and I've not seen it since. I still yearn for it.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Cholula is on the eggs I am eating as I am typing. It's thicker then Tabasco, with a more rounded flavor.
Well, yeah, Cholula is flavored with other spices (garlic, for one). Tabasco (original) is not. It's a different set of flavors. I love Cholula, and either that or Tabasco will work fine for me on my eggs. But they're not quite the same thing.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg419 View Post
Some twenty years ago Dreyer's had an ice cream they called Chilly Chili. It was vanilla with a mole ribbon and spicy Spanish peanuts. I bought a half gallon, loved it and consumed it in about three days.

I went back to the store; there were none to be had and I've not seen it since. I still yearn for it.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

I prefer Franks and Louisiana to Tabasco. I like Cholula on occasion, mostly with Tex Mex dishes.