Old 03-04-2020, 06:05 PM

Youth turnout in the primaries and the general were higher for Obama as I recall. And even better for Sanders primaries 2016 than now.

So Sanders 2020 has to shoulder some responsibility for the failure.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Finding random strangers on twitter to mock is an interesting hobby! Is it more fun when they're struggling young minorities?
Now, why bring his ethnicity in to this?
Tons of young people stayed home due to apathy but used the "screwed over" excuse. What makes you give this guy the benefit of the doubt?
Old 03-05-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
Yeah, and were they being told that by the Texas Democratic Party? Even knowing that, would they be willing to risk being disciplined or fired by an employer that doesn't care?
None of that is the state's problem or responsibility, except that the State would be the ones enforcing their laws against the employer.

But if it's important to you to vote, it's also equally important to understand stuff like that.

And if the Texas Democratic Party isn't getting the word out on that kind of thing, it seems like a pretty huge failing on their part to distribute necessary knowledge like that to their constituency, which presumably would be more likely to need to know that versus the average Republican voter.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Now, why bring his ethnicity in to this?
Just curious about the desire to mock strangers on twitter. Especially when it's "punching down". Punching down is bad and people shouldn't do it.

Quote:
Tons of young people stayed home due to apathy but used the "screwed over" excuse. What makes you give this guy the benefit of the doubt?
Not giving anyone the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 03-05-2020 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:50 AM

More to the side of the argument that it is Bernie's Fault more - 2018 youth turnout.
Quote:
Among 18- to 29-year-olds, voter turnout went from 20 percent in 2014 to 36 percent in 2018, the largest percentage point increase for any age group — a 79 percent jump. ...

... Among Hispanics, voter turnout increased by 13 percentage points, a 50 percent increase in Hispanic voter turnout. ...
That was the highest percent turnout of the age cohort in midterms since at least 1978. The engagement was there and somehow he manage to throw a damp towel on to it.

One can only hope that the relative depression of youth engagement he has caused does not spill over into the general against Trump.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Just curious about the desire to mock strangers on twitter. Especially when it's "punching down". Punching down is bad and people shouldn't do it.
If you cannot mock strangers on Twitter, where can you mock them? (FWIW, I don't use the platform but I'm not ignorant of how it's commonly used by those who do.)

We mock strangers on SDMB. I've done it. You've done it. Pretty sure the mockery was deserved in cases that come to mind. If not, I'm prepared to issue an apology.

Point is, you can't go around assuming the mockery is based on motives not in evidence.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I think the Democrats should make voting rights a very high priority if they win power in the upcoming election. And that means we have to play the game by the rules the Republicans have set up in order to have the power to change those rules. It's not fair but refusing to play won't fix the problem.
You guys do realize that polling places, etc... are set by the local county governments, and in the cases of Houston and Dallas, where the long lines were reported, those county governments are STRONGLY Democrat.

I'm more inclined to attribute a lot of it to snafus and incompetence than somehow the local Democratic-controlled county governments intentionally sticking it to their own people, so to speak.

Now had this been in one of Fort Bend or Collin counties, I could maybe have understood it, as they're right-leaning and seem to be filled with just the sort of hostile middle class white people who might engage in these shenanigans. But Dallas or Harris counties? No way.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
If you cannot mock strangers on Twitter, where can you mock them? (FWIW, I don't use the platform but I'm not ignorant of how it's commonly used by those who do.)

We mock strangers on SDMB. I've done it. You've done it. Pretty sure the mockery was deserved in cases that come to mind. If not, I'm prepared to issue an apology.

Point is, you can't go around assuming the mockery is based on motives not in evidence.
Okay, mocking strangers on twitter isn't really a big deal. I'm probably still a bit stung because my preferred candidate didn't do as well as I hoped (and still a bit annoyed by that poster's extreme vitriol towards Bernie and Bernie supporters). But I don't like punching down, and I'm pretty sure I refrain from it. If you can find an instance in which I punched down, that's bad on me, but I doubt you'd be able to find one.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:18 AM

It's great that you've personally decided that latinx people are off limits to criticism. It's awesome. But a little unrealistic to expect of everyone else.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
It's great that you've personally decided that latinx people are off limits to criticism.
I didn't decide this.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I'm probably still a bit stung because my preferred candidate didn't do as well as I hoped (and still a bit annoyed by that poster's extreme vitriol towards Bernie and Bernie supporters).
Understandable.

Quote:
But I don't like punching down, and I'm pretty sure I refrain from it. If you can find an instance in which I punched down, that's bad on me, but I doubt you'd be able to find one.
If memory serves, you've taken some shots at the resident cephalopod. Though, at this point, I think any derogatory comment aimed at him is "punching down". But I'm not going to do the work to provide specific cites. For the purposes of this thread, if you believe you haven't, then you haven't. Moving on.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I didn't decide this.
No? Why did you decide it was "punching down" to mock his excuses?
Old 03-05-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
No? Why did you decide it was "punching down" to mock his excuses?
Taking the tweet at face value, as the post in question appeared to, he was mocking a young minority person who is struggling financially. IMO, a relatively comfortable older white person mocking a young, financially struggling minority is punching down. YMMV.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
You guys do realize that polling places, etc... are set by the local county governments, and in the cases of Houston and Dallas, where the long lines were reported, those county governments are STRONGLY Democrat.

I'm more inclined to attribute a lot of it to snafus and incompetence than somehow the local Democratic-controlled county governments intentionally sticking it to their own people, so to speak.

Now had this been in one of Fort Bend or Collin counties, I could maybe have understood it, as they're right-leaning and seem to be filled with just the sort of hostile middle class white people who might engage in these shenanigans. But Dallas or Harris counties? No way.
Cui bono?

If a community of Republican voters found that procedures made it difficult for them to vote, I'd suspect the Democrats of having arranged things. So when a community of Democratic voters found that procedures made it difficult for them to vote, I suspect the Republicans.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Taking the tweet at face value, as the post in question appeared to, he was mocking a young minority person who is struggling financially. IMO, a relatively comfortable older white person mocking a young, financially struggling minority is punching down. YMMV.
He said nothing about financial struggle. He said tight work schedule.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
He said nothing about financial struggle. He said tight work schedule.
Okay!
Old 03-05-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
But the old, uncomfortable Bernie is the one who is polling best with younger voters.
There's a big difference between answering some questions on the phone or on an online questionnaire and leaving the house to actually do something.

I've posted a meme on FB so I've done my part. Yay me!

I'll even like someone else's posts later. Bonus!

People are responsible for their own action or inaction. And for the consequences thereof.

Last edited by Projammer; 03-05-2020 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Okay!
OK it wasn't punching down? Is this you avoiding admitting that you just assumed the latino tweeter was broke? For some reason....
Old 03-05-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
this you avoiding admitting that you just assumed the latino tweeter was broke?
No, but this disagreement is so minor and pointless that it doesn't seem worth any effort. So I will surrender and congratulate you on your rhetorical victory. Well done!
Old 03-05-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
More to the side of the argument that it is Bernie's Fault more - 2018 youth turnout.That was the highest percent turnout of the age cohort in midterms since at least 1978. The engagement was there and somehow he manage to throw a damp towel on to it.

One can only hope that the relative depression of youth engagement he has caused does not spill over into the general against Trump.
He did that himself? Then he is a monster.

Thank god kids aren't part of the country where they are stressed and hopeless like the rest of us. They are a special isolated "Bernie failure."
Old 03-05-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
No, but this disagreement is so minor and pointless that it doesn't seem worth any effort. So I will surrender and congratulate you on your rhetorical victory. Well done!
Funny, your feelings about "punchng down" aren't generally portraying it as a minor and pointless. In some of the comedian threads, it even came across as rather important to you. But I'm not a mind reader. Next Louis CK thread, I'll try to remember that you don't really care.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Funny, your feelings about "punchng down" aren't generally portraying it as a minor and pointless. In some of the comedian threads, it even came across as rather important to you. But I'm not a mind reader. Next Louis CK thread, I'll try to remember that you don't really care.
My feelings about punching down are that it's a bad thing that shouldn't be done (and it is important to me!) -- my feelings about this particular disagreement with you is that the disagreement is boring and pointless and I don't really care about it. The issue is important to me -- arguing about it with you is not.

Hope that's more clear!

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 03-05-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
Yeah, and were they being told that by the Texas Democratic Party? Even knowing that, would they be willing to risk being disciplined or fired by an employer that doesn't care?
There's also early voting in Texas for two weeks and includes a weekend. I went in on the first Saturday of early voting. I'm in Fort Bend County but still, early voting in Harris County was not really an issue.

Not the same as the 'excitement' of going on the official day, but if you can make it at all (not entirely a safe assumption in Texas) simply forgetting until the day of the election is less excusable than in the past.

Quote:
It's a bit of all of the above.

The Democrats and Republicans couldn't get an agreement to hold a joint primary, so voting machines had to be set to either Democrat or Republican. The same machine couldn't be used for either. There was probably some gamesmanship going on there.

The incompetence comes in the allocation of machines. To appear to be 'fair', rather than base it on, you know, numbers, the Harris County commissioner agreed to allocate half the machines for the Democratic primary and half to the Republican. So half the machines sat idle while people waited for hours.

There was less of an issue in Dallas County, much of it a combination of failing machines and lack of adequate training for poll workers (and inadequate numbers of poll workers). Those got resolved fairly quickly, though.

Probably another issue is both Dallas and Houston did away with specific polling locations. People could vote anywhere within their county and not at their precinct. So, some polling centers got swamped while others were idle.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
He did that himself? Then he is a monster.

Thank god kids aren't part of the country where they are stressed and hopeless like the rest of us. They are a special isolated "Bernie failure."
You WOULD have given him credit for increased youth turnout I am guessing.

Funny that “the rest of us” many also as “stressed” if not “hopeless” came out to vote even more than usual.

It is a problem when you stage a revolution and no one shows up.

What happens when those who you inspire don’t vote and others do is that you lose. Not so complicated.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
Probably another issue is both Dallas and Houston did away with specific polling locations. People could vote anywhere within their county and not at their precinct. So, some polling centers got swamped while others were idle.
FWIW, Dallas county also had joint primary locations.

But I suspect that the vote-anywhere part of it was a big issue- I can't imagine that the precinct surrounding TSU is particularly unrepresentative of any other precinct in Harris County, except that it's probably nearly 100% Democrat, and probably has a lot of people trying to vote who work nearby, not just people who live nearby. Harris County has some 350 voting locations, and they could have gone to any of them instead of waiting hours and hours at TSU. I'd bet they could have driven to Hockley and voted there faster than waiting in line at TSU for 7 hours.

However, if you look at the maps, it does seem like the polling places are thicker where voter turnout is higher. But that's a chicken/egg type situation, I suspect, and they'll have to work on it for a while to figure out the best way to apportion voting machines and/or locations around the county.

At any rate, it wasn't a Republican scheme, so much as it was just bungling and inexperience.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
You WOULD have given him credit for increased youth turnout I am guessing.

Funny that “the rest of us” many also as “stressed” if not “hopeless” came out to vote even more than usual.

It is a problem when you stage a revolution and no one shows up.

What happens when those who you inspire don’t vote and others do is that you lose. Not so complicated.
OK, but I need to note that judging them according to the way we react to national elections is just denying they are kids. They certainly have a right to feel alienated, and they don't have an adult perspective on anything. turmps presidency doesn't just annuate them and make them feel like an adult.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:27 AM

Sanders did well in Colorado; Colorado has mail-in voting.

Is there generally a correlation between allowing mail-in, and higher turnouts of youth? (Or of some other demographics?)
Old 03-06-2020, 03:18 AM

It's hard to say without clear data on voter suppression in the USA.

It's a country that doesn't allow inspectors and doesn't comply with international standards on voting processes.

For example:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-super-tuesday

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03...what-happened/

These kinds of issues impact younger, poorer and marginalised voters disproportionately.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:43 AM

I take it as a sign that Bernie cannot just count on young people to win the presidency. But like so much of what constitutes Bernie's campaign and Bernie-ism, he and his supporters insist that Bernie is a magical candidate with magical messaging powers and magical powers of persuasion, and that he will, in the end, persuade voters to change their attitudes toward him and his policies - and I'm sorry but that is just naive bullshit thinking that I - and apparently millions of other voters of all ages and backgrounds - just do not have time for.

Here's a hint, Bernie: try winning over some older voters, too. Try to stop sounding like a broken record and run a more flexible positions that can convince less ideological voters that you can actually govern.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Here's a hint, Bernie: try winning over some older voters, too. Try to stop sounding like a broken record and run a more flexible positions that can convince less ideological voters that you can actually govern.
He didn't take that advice back in 2016. He isn't going to take it now.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwich View Post
It's hard to say without clear data on voter suppression in the USA.

It's a country that doesn't allow inspectors and doesn't comply with international standards on voting processes.
Why would we? It's not the business of other countries how we choose to vote.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I doubt if Manwich is talking out the voting systems we use, though og knows that they lag behind more advanced nations. I think it's more of a concern about whether eligible voters are getting a fair shot at exercising their franchise and having their votes fairly counted.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
He didn't take that advice back in 2016. He isn't going to take it now.
Understood: it's more of a message to Sanders' supporters than to Sanders' campaign.

People need to wake up and stop believing in Magic Bernie. The assumption that Magic Bernie can summon some kind of magic tidal wave of voting that would be sufficient to overwhelm the Generation X and Boomer vote is just wishful thinking. It's even more wishful to believe that Magic Bernie can convince most of the country to eliminate the private insurance system is just delusional.

Let's start with what we progressives can totally agree on: the private health system needs the big stick of government to make it behave better - we nearly all agree on that. A public option or perhaps a quasi-government, non-profit competition would probably be a great place to start.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
The Carter Center has monitored elections in 39 countries, always with the cooperation of the host country. Some countries have a reputation for unfair elections and are anxious to demonstrate that their elections are fair.

U.S. elections are very far from fair; anybody ignorant of that needs to report to the Pit for education. Our democracy is in desperate need of help, but many Americans (like bump?) are unwilling to accept that.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Sanders did well in Colorado; Colorado has mail-in voting.

Is there generally a correlation between allowing mail-in, and higher turnouts of youth? (Or of some other demographics?)
I think its more that there is a correlation between mail-in voting and casting ones vote before the revival of the Biden campaign after South Carolina.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:19 AM

Is there a good reason that Texas doesn't do mail ballots like the other two states I have lived in, Oregon and Colorado?

I talked to someone at the Houston office, most lived in Montgomery county and the traffic between Beltway 8 and Conroe was over an hour and a half on Tuesday, which is normal. It seems weird to me that they can't vote in a national election in the county where they work. The voter registration and address of the voter should allow them to determine where the vote should be counted pretty easily.

I am not sure I would have been able to make my vote if I had to leave Montgomery county by 5:45 am to be at work by 6:45 - 7:00 and then getting off at 5:15 trying to make it back to my home county. There is always early voting, but I am not sure how that works and I lived in Texas for 33 years. It seems way easier to have the ballot show up in the mailbox with a bar code on it, and my name and address.

Why not mailed ballots nationally? I can even log into the internet and see that my ballot was registered and everything. It seems way more simple to me. We have freaking dog food and mattresses delivered in boxes, why not ballots?

There is a lot of shudda/wudda/cudda going on, and I am not defending the lazy, but why the hell do they even need to show up? Other states don't make that requirement. It would seem to me that they just want retired, non-working people to vote instead of making it as easy as possible. If the goal is increasing voter turnout, it seems to me that we already have the solution.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post
Is there a good reason that Texas doesn't do mail ballots like the other two states I have lived in, Oregon and Colorado?

I talked to someone at the Houston office, most lived in Montgomery county and the traffic between Beltway 8 and Conroe was over an hour and a half on Tuesday, which is normal. It seems weird to me that they can't vote in a national election in the county where they work. The voter registration and address of the voter should allow them to determine where the vote should be counted pretty easily.

I am not sure I would have been able to make my vote if I had to leave Montgomery county by 5:45 am to be at work by 6:45 - 7:00 and then getting off at 5:15 trying to make it back to my home county. There is always early voting, but I am not sure how that works and I lived in Texas for 33 years. It seems way easier to have the ballot show up in the mailbox with a bar code on it, and my name and address.

Why not mailed ballots nationally? I can even log into the internet and see that my ballot was registered and everything. It seems way more simple to me. We have freaking dog food and mattresses delivered in boxes, why not ballots?

There is a lot of shudda/wudda/cudda going on, and I am not defending the lazy, but why the hell do they even need to show up? Other states don't make that requirement. It would seem to me that they just want retired, non-working people to vote instead of making it as easy as possible. If the goal is increasing voter turnout, it seems to me that we already have the solution.
What political party controls the TX government? Red states have really doubled down on making it hard to vote, especially in a state rapidly changing like TX.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
OK, but I need to note that judging them according to the way we react to national elections is just denying they are kids. They certainly have a right to feel alienated, and they don't have an adult perspective on anything. turmps presidency doesn't just annuate them and make them feel like an adult.
Personally I don't think of those voters 18 to 45 as condescendingly as that. They are adults, not kids. And they showed the potential of their muscle in the 2018 midterms and being part of Obama's victories.

In 2018 their turnout was not as good as voters over 45 but it was good for the cohort historically. And it is a large cohort.

Obama got the cohort to vote more with his messaging approach. If Sanders approach failed to accomplish as much it is mostly on him. My fear is that his messaging results in more apathy when things don't go their way in a round. And I'd love to see their muscles flexing in the general.

Reality is that the cohort will get older and will grow into one that votes more reliably. If they keep their beliefs the same then their preferred policies are in fact the future. For what the world is left with if Trump wins again.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
like so much of what constitutes Bernie's campaign and Bernie-ism, he and his supporters insist that Bernie is a magical candidate with magical messaging powers and magical powers of persuasion[/B].
This is what happens when people support a candidate in a campaign, and vote for him.

If they aren't Bernie though, they get described as more "at home" in the US, and less threatening. Hm.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
What political party controls the TX government? Red states have really doubled down on making it hard to vote, especially in a state rapidly changing like TX.
Is it simply that Democrats want everyone to have the same opportunity to vote and Republicans don’t?

Is there any evidence for this other than “it’s damn obvious just look?”

I’m not saying you are wrong.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:43 PM

My apologies if this has been posted already but I'm pressed for time--that 13% number everyone's been using so liberally is, basically, bullshit. Smoke and mirrors. The kids DID get out and vote but they're being calculatedly suppressed in various ways, and the discrepancies between exit polls and results are so marked that if they occurred in a shithole country the US would be all over them for it but since it's here nobody says a mumblin' word. Elections in this country are embarrassingly bad and not even a step above the worst banana republics in history.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
My apologies if this has been posted already but I'm pressed for time--that 13% number everyone's been using so liberally is, basically, bullshit. Smoke and mirrors. The kids DID get out and vote but they're being calculatedly suppressed in various ways, and the discrepancies between exit polls and results are so marked that if they occurred in a shithole country the US would be all over them for it but since it's here nobody says a mumblin' word. Elections in this country are embarrassingly bad and not even a step above the worst banana republics in history.
You should apologize for posting something from a site and source so obviously in the bag for Sanders. Also, this:
Quote:
The long lines disproportionally discouraged young and working voters, boosting the share of the retired elderly and the rich.
Yeah, the old folks love to stand in line for hours while the young suffer so from short attention spans.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:12 PM

SmartAleq -

Apples to apples youth turnout for Sanders was poor. Sanders is himself honest enough to acknowledge it:
Quote:
"Have we been as successful as I would hope in bringing young people in? The answer is no," Sanders told reporters at a news conference at his Burlington, Vt., headquarters. Sanders went on to acknowledge the undeniable challenge that any candidate banking on the support of younger voters faces: They do not vote in high numbers, compared with other groups.

"I think that will change in the general election, but I will be honest with you, we have not done as well with bringing young people into the process," Sanders said. "It is not easy."
Measuring as favorably as possible one can come up with this (same cite):
Quote:
The Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement at Tufts University argues that it's more relevant to compare youth turnout this year with 2012 turnout, the most recent election cycle in which there was only a single competitive primary, rather than 2016.

"If we compare to the 2016 primaries we're comparing to a primary where there was a huge Republican field, there were tons of Republican campaigns doing outreach, there was so much media.," said CIRCLE's Director of Impact Abby Kiesa. "The environment and the levers and the things that we know affect youth turnout aren't fully maximized when it's only one competitive primary."

Kiesa said that when comparing Super Tuesday turnout this year with 2012, young people turned out at rates either on par or above 2012 levels.
So yes, they may be about on par with the 2012 primary in which Obama ran unopposed.

Voting for Sanders just did not matter enough to most of them to bother with doing. HOPEFULLY voting against Trumpism will, like it did in the midterms.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
Elections in this country are embarrassingly bad and not even a step above the worst banana republics in history.
I don't entirely disagree with you here.

But, if voter suppression efforts are preventing some of Sanders' supporters from voting against Biden, aren't they going to have that same problem against Trump?

For the record, I think that Biden beat Bernie fairly and squarely in TX, but I'm wondering how Sanders supporters get around the problem of voter suppression, which they claim to be a factor in some of the contests on Tuesday. If they think that this cost them on Super Tuesday, they've seen nothing yet.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
You should apologize for posting something from a site and source so obviously in the bag for Sanders. Also, this:

Yeah, the old folks love to stand in line for hours while the young suffer so from short attention spans.
"You" should apologise? Using a tawdry phrase like "in the bag"

13% of total voters that turned out were between 18-29 years in age

That's what happened.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I don't entirely disagree with you here.

But, if voter suppression efforts are preventing some of Sanders' supporters from voting against Biden, aren't they going to have that same problem against Trump?

For the record, I think that Biden beat Bernie fairly and squarely in TX, but I'm wondering how Sanders supporters get around the problem of voter suppression, which they claim to be a factor in some of the contests on Tuesday. If they think that this cost them on Super Tuesday, they've seen nothing yet.
Are you suggesting that we surrender to voter suppression? This isn't a horse race where you hope to back the winner - actual lives are at stake.

Yes, voter suppression is a real issue and republicans know it is effective, that's why they spend time money on it. But we need to do something about it and individuals can make a difference.

With the internet that they invented, people from the USA can now see how others live and vote and improve their own lives. It's a boon to the world (USA) and the other world (world).
Old 03-06-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
"You" should apologise? Using a tawdry phrase like "in the bag"

13% of total voters that turned out were between 18-29 years in age

That's what happened.
And that age group is roughly 23% of the electorate. For "enthusiastic" supporters, they showed up at a lower rate than literally every other demographic.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:37 PM

So the article says 18-29 make up 16% of registered voters. Are they saying turnout was 81%?
Old 03-06-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Are you suggesting that we surrender to voter suppression? This isn't a horse race where you hope to back the winner - actual lives are at stake.

Yes, voter suppression is a real issue and republicans know it is effective, that's why they spend time money on it. But we need to do something about it and individuals can make a difference.

With the internet that they invented, people from the USA can now see how others live and vote and improve their own lives. It's a boon to the world (USA) and the other world (world).
Point out to me where I suggested that we surrender to vote suppression. I'm suggesting that Bernie Sanders doesn't have enough support - period. He's becoming America's Jeremy Corbyn.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post

The short answer is because it's against state law- apparently what voting fraud their is, seems to be predominantly centered around absentee ballots (the only form of mail in ballots actually allowed). Retirees ARE on that list- 65 and older and disabled people are two distinct categories allowed to vote by mail already. So are people outside the county when the elections happen, which includes military people, college students, etc...

There's always early voting- it's open on weekends and can be done at any of the early voting places in your county as well.

And finally, your employer is required to grant you a paid two hour block off within the voting window for voting, IF your normal job schedule doesn't afford you an unbroken two hour block already. So in your example, your person could have legally left at 5 to ensure they had that 2 hour block. Or if they just can't leave at 5, then they could have come in as late as 9.

Voter suppression is one thing, but a lot of the gripes I'm hearing seem to align along the notion of "Voting is a pain in my ass, make it easier or I won't do it!", which I'm not exactly sympathetic to.