Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 03-14-2020, 07:45 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 12,627
I've liked Senator Sanders, really and truly. I used to listen to him on the Nor-man Gold-man show when I was living in the Bay Area and, as Bay Area peeps are instinctively prone to do, had radical-ist tendencies, loved *Senator* Sanders.

But fuck, Bernie the candidate has pissed me off and I swear to fucking God if he costs us an election, I'll never forgive that...bastard.

Last edited by asahi; 03-14-2020 at 07:45 PM.
  #152  
Old 03-14-2020, 08:12 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 19,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
A lot of talk here about how the democrats are speaking loud and clear etc. in rejecting Bernie. But it was the african american influence on this that made it happen. Any black american who was even vaguely happy about having a black US potus for 8 years has been dragged through the worst prefascist destruction of a potus' legacy, all for a sick hateful ideology in the oval office.

I am so disgusted by this, that I have no problem with a black vote in favor of Biden as embodying the legacy that is being tarnished so viciously. But I have fears about whether he can win.
Glad you posted this. Dashed the last drop of sympathy I had for you that your candidate lost.
  #153  
Old 03-14-2020, 08:39 PM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Glad you posted this. Dashed the last drop of sympathy I had for you that your candidate lost.
How zero sum. I have no idea what you are talking about.
  #154  
Old 03-14-2020, 09:04 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 12,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about.
We know, we know.
  #155  
Old 03-14-2020, 09:10 PM
DrDeth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 43,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
You didn't already say this? It was somebody else? Is this why forums are dying?
I said it before in response to a similar post and someone else said it in response to yours.

Post the same stuff, get the same response.
  #156  
Old 03-14-2020, 09:20 PM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
We know, we know.
I understand you.

I'm not sure what he was saying. Wasn't it righty stuff?
  #157  
Old 03-14-2020, 09:23 PM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
I said it before in response to a similar post and someone else said it in response to yours.

Post the same stuff, get the same response.
I have heard it twice just addressed to me.

How much stimulus do you need before you post it again? Will this do?
  #158  
Old 03-14-2020, 09:23 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 19,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
How zero sum. I have no idea what you are talking about.
Lol. You can't simultaneously describe my post as "zero sum" and say you have no idea what I'm talking about.
  #159  
Old 03-14-2020, 10:59 PM
drad dog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 6,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Lol. You can't simultaneously describe my post as "zero sum" and say you have no idea what I'm talking about.
You said two things
  #160  
Old 03-14-2020, 11:25 PM
DrDeth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 43,967
https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...-attack-biden/
  #161  
Old 03-16-2020, 12:32 PM
Lance Turbo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 4,680
Mitch thinks Biden can beat Trump...

McConnell Has a Request for Veteran Federal Judges: Please Quit

Quote:
Sen McConnell and other Senate Republicans have been reaching out to fed judges nominated by Presidents Reagan and Bush I and II to say if you are going to retire, the next few months would be a good time to do it.
  #162  
Old 03-21-2020, 12:48 PM
Fiveyearlurker is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,033
Can Biden lose to Trump is his approval rating is hovering at 40% and unemployment is at 10% with negative GDP in November?

Last edited by Fiveyearlurker; 03-21-2020 at 12:50 PM.
  #163  
Old 03-21-2020, 03:31 PM
DrDeth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 43,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Can Biden lose to Trump is his approval rating is hovering at 40% and unemployment is at 10% with negative GDP in November?
Trump is polling 10% under Biden, unusual for a incumbent.

The present US mess with Covid 19 is trump's fault, and people know it.
  #164  
Old 03-21-2020, 03:52 PM
What Exit?'s Avatar
What Exit? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 30,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Trump is polling 10% under Biden, unusual for a incumbent.

The present US mess with Covid 19 is trump's fault, and people know it.
I wish you were right, but the Biden's average lead is 7.4% currently. Which is still promising but only a few recent polls were 10% and most were less.
  #165  
Old 03-21-2020, 03:56 PM
DrDeth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 43,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
I wish you were right, but the Biden's average lead is 7.4% currently. Which is still promising but only a few recent polls were 10% and most were less.

Poll of the week: A NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll finds that former Vice President Joe Biden leads President Donald Trump 52% to 43% in a general election matchup.

An average of all polls this month puts Biden's advantage at a similar 7 points.
What's the point: For all intents and purposes, the general election campaign is underway. Yes, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders is still running, but he has no realistic path to winning the Democratic nomination. That means that it's Biden vs. Trump.
And the President starts out in a very unusual place for an incumbent: behind. Trump is the first incumbent president to be trailing at this point in the general election cycle (i.e. late March in the election year) since Harry Truman in 1948.


Ok, ok that article sez 9 points, but I rounded. sue me.
  #166  
Old 03-21-2020, 04:11 PM
Aspenglow's Avatar
Aspenglow is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,776
One of the reasons Bernie must get out of the race is that him staying in is preventing surrogates -- including the Obamas -- from coming forward, endorsing Biden and getting busy on the campaign trail to draw the party together and make their cases for why Biden is preferable to Trump in the White House. Few will endorse before Bernie suspends so as to avoid offending Bernie's base.

When people like the Obamas, Warren and yes, even Sanders, endorse are all out rowing in the same direction, we'll see the Biden approval number climb.
  #167  
Old 03-21-2020, 04:19 PM
Whack-a-Mole's Avatar
Whack-a-Mole is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 21,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
But fuck, Bernie the candidate has pissed me off and I swear to fucking God if he costs us an election, I'll never forgive that...bastard.
Why do you think this?

I know Clintonistas love to blame Bernie for her loss instead of blaming her but the facts do not support, at all, that Sanders cost her the election. Sanders' voters were more reliable in voting for the dem candidate, by far, than Clinton voters were in 2008.

If he was splitting the ticket, ala Ralph Nader in 2000, then you'd have a great case to make. I will never forgive Nader for his hubris in that election.

But this is not that. Clinton lost not because Bernie hurt her but because she sucked. Biden will likewise win or lose on his own and not because of Bernie. Indeed, Bernie will probably help because he will fully commit himself to seeing the next Dem candidate for president win.
__________________
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 03-21-2020 at 04:21 PM.
  #168  
Old 03-21-2020, 04:57 PM
Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 41,469
Biden can and will beat Chump handily. Asked and answered. This thread can now be closed.
__________________
The two most interesting things in the world: Other people's sex lives and your own money.
  #169  
Old 03-21-2020, 05:34 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11,261
I will only look at polls in October after Trump has been going after Biden full bore for months.
  #170  
Old 03-21-2020, 06:03 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 19,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
Why do you think this?

I know Clintonistas love to blame Bernie for her loss instead of blaming her but the facts do not support, at all, that Sanders cost her the election. Sanders' voters were more reliable in voting for the dem candidate, by far, than Clinton voters were in 2008.

If he was splitting the ticket, ala Ralph Nader in 2000, then you'd have a great case to make. I will never forgive Nader for his hubris in that election.

But this is not that. Clinton lost not because Bernie hurt her but because she sucked. Biden will likewise win or lose on his own and not because of Bernie. Indeed, Bernie will probably help because he will fully commit himself to seeing the next Dem candidate for president win.
It is different this time. Since Sanders is getting outright clobbered, his staying in won't make the party look so divided. In fact, as I said in one of these threads, with no votes for 3 weeks, covid-19 and resulting lack of rallies I really doubt Sanders is even going to be mentioned in the news for a couple weeks at least. Ironically, the only way anyone is going to give him any attention is if he drops out.

Last edited by CarnalK; 03-21-2020 at 06:04 PM.
  #171  
Old 03-21-2020, 06:14 PM
E-DUB's Avatar
E-DUB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,039
Let's all acknowledge that this once-in-a-century circumstance has tossed all previous predictive models into the proverbial cocked hat so virtually any result is possible in an election that won't occur for seven months. Of course, Biden can beat trump but trump can also beat Biden. It's Schrödinger's election at this point and we won't know if the cat is dead till we open the box.
  #172  
Old 03-21-2020, 06:24 PM
DrDeth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 43,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
Why do you think this?

I know Clintonistas love to blame Bernie for her loss instead of blaming her but the facts do not support, at all, that Sanders cost her the election. Sanders' voters were more reliable in voting for the dem candidate, by far, than Clinton voters were in 2008.
...

But this is not that. Clinton lost not because Bernie hurt her but because she sucked. Biden will likewise win or lose on his own and not because of Bernie. Indeed, Bernie will probably help because he will fully commit himself to seeing the next Dem candidate for president win.
Hillaries election was lost due to three things:
1. The Comey Memo.
2. Not campaigning enough in critical EC states.

3. Negative campaigning by the kremlin- quite of but of which was cheerfully passed on the Bernie-bros because Bernie wouldnt concede and wouldnt lift a finger to rein them in. Caused voters to vote 3rd party or stay home.

Now, the election was so close that any of those would have been a Clinton win. So, altho by no means was the negative campaigning by Sanders & co the #1 cause, it might have cost Hillary the election.

Will Bernie " fully commit himself"? If he wanted Biden to win vs trump, why was Sanders spending millions of $$ on lying ads attacking Biden on SocSec? AFTER Super Tuesday?

Bernie has to concede and then loudly and clearly tell his followers to stop attacking Biden.
  #173  
Old 03-21-2020, 06:40 PM
What Exit?'s Avatar
What Exit? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 30,142
Are these Sanders commercial something people really saw or just imagined?
  #174  
Old 03-21-2020, 06:52 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 19,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Are these Sanders commercial something people really saw or just imagined?
Politifact: Says Joe Biden "has advocated cutting Social Security for 40 years"
Quote:
Sanders’ current ad in heavy rotation in Florida has a picture of Biden under the words "Biden has advocated cutting Social Security for 40 years."
I think it's fair to say Sanders intended it to be something people really saw.
  #175  
Old 03-21-2020, 06:58 PM
What Exit?'s Avatar
What Exit? is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 30,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Politifact: Says Joe Biden "has advocated cutting Social Security for 40 years"

I think it's fair to say Sanders intended it to be something people really saw.
Thank you, yep that sucks, especially in a major swing state. Sanders needs to stand down. Biden needs to go to him with some sort of peace offering and get it done before any damage is done. Biden has to beat Trump, Sanders has to realize this at this point.
The Peace Offering should be maybe a real say in picking the VP or some plank of Sanders that Biden hasn't been on. Not sure which one. But the two of them need to get this done.

Last edited by What Exit?; 03-21-2020 at 06:59 PM.
  #176  
Old 03-21-2020, 07:06 PM
Whack-a-Mole's Avatar
Whack-a-Mole is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 21,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
3. Negative campaigning by the kremlin- quite of but of which was cheerfully passed on the Bernie-bros because Bernie wouldnt concede and wouldnt lift a finger to rein them in. Caused voters to vote 3rd party or stay home.
Do you have any evidence at all for this?
__________________
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
  #177  
Old 03-21-2020, 07:08 PM
Whack-a-Mole's Avatar
Whack-a-Mole is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 21,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
It is different this time. Since Sanders is getting outright clobbered, his staying in won't make the party look so divided.
Please define "clobbered."
__________________
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
  #178  
Old 03-21-2020, 07:42 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFootsZZZ View Post
I know a lot of Bernie supporters that SAY they're choosing to vote for the green party because they don't feel Bernie got a fair shake.

I agree he didn't get a fair shake, but I don't want 4 more years of Trump. I hope this isn't another 2016 scenario. I'm really scared. I really hate how everyone on TV were working against Bernie, and I'm EXTREMELY discouraged. It's as if the Democratic establishment and the Republicans are two sides of the same coin. I almost feel like not voting at all... But more Trump is going to force my hand into voting, just like 2016. I can't take it anymore. It's not that I'm pissed because it's not 'MY GUY' that's running, it's that all these powerful forces made it extremely difficult for 'my guy' that gets to me.

Go ahead and gloat that Bernie probably won't win, that's just going to discourage people more. It's horse crap. How do I talk to the other Bernie supporters, and encourage them to vote Biden? I can't blame them for being mad. I'm mad. I don't want to have anything to do with this crud. The establishment wants me not to have a voice, so why bother?

If this were any other situation... I would say f it, and not vote. I'm saving my protests for another day. Another Supreme Court decision is the only reason I'm involving myself in the process.
Biden beat Bernie. That is at least some evidence that Biden will do better in the general election than Bernie would have. Maybe both of them would be Trump but Biden would beat him by more and that's enough of a reason to nominate him over Bernie.

We need the moderates in swing states more than we need the Bernie bros in California and New York.
  #179  
Old 03-21-2020, 07:48 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,477
Double post.

A lot of connectivity issues today.

Last edited by Damuri Ajashi; 03-21-2020 at 07:50 PM.
  #180  
Old 03-21-2020, 07:52 PM
CarnalK's Avatar
CarnalK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 19,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
Please define "clobbered."
No chance of winning. Double digits losses last week.
  #181  
Old 03-21-2020, 07:52 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFootsZZZ View Post
Well, look....

I didn't come here to fight. I'm NOT the only one who feels this way. The people I know don't feel like Bernie was offered a fair chance, and don't seem to give a crap about 4 more years of Trump. Plus, his supporters were demonized and that pisses people off.
If his supporters don't give a crap about 4 more years of Trump then his supporters were demonized for good reason.

Quote:
But, I will honestly try my hardest to move their needle a bit.
Good luck.

But if they are butthurt because democracy hurt their feewings, I don't know how much progress is possible.
  #182  
Old 03-21-2020, 07:54 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFootsZZZ View Post
Thanks. I hope so too. I don't see us recovering from 4 more years of Trump. I'm "the voice of reason" in this bunch of people. I'm really trying to look past what I considered to be an unfair process. I don't think we'll recover from 4 more years of Trump.
I'm still trying to figure out how this was an unfair process. Last time around I agree with you. The DNC conspired to bring down Bernie. Democratic operators fed Hillary debate questions. it was unfair.

But this time around? I don't see it.
  #183  
Old 03-21-2020, 07:57 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
You want to help stop that?

Show them this, and tell them to replace "Nader" with "Green Party" in the last panel.
Bernie is not going to run a spoiler campaign. That is a big difference.
  #184  
Old 03-21-2020, 08:03 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
There's no way Biden could win.. If he gets the nomination, millions will sit home, and in the general, we'll see all those videos (seems like every day) of Biden abusing his "supporters", telling his female aide today to "SHUSH"... Didn't treat Anita Hill well, either.

Joe Biden supported:
- Iraq War
- NAFTA
- PNTR w China
- Patriot act
- TPP
- Repeal Glass Steagall
- War on drugs
- Wall st bailout
- anti-gay DOMA

He opposes:
- legal pot
- wealth tax
- medicare for all
- free college
- canceling student debt

While Trumpers would still vote for him, even if he shot someone on 5th avenue... They seem more determined than ever, and I don't see those #NeverTrumpers.. When Trump is attacked, they defend him (when they are actually defending themselves, their ego)...

If you want to get rid of Trump, vote for Bernie.
Biden does better than Bernie against Trump in every swing state except Wisconsin, where he holds a 1% lead over Biden.
Biden does better than Bernie nationally.
Biden does better than Bernie among Democrats.
Biden does better than Bernie among Moderates.

In what way is Bernie a better candidate.
  #185  
Old 03-21-2020, 08:15 PM
DrDeth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 43,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
Do you have any evidence at all for this?
You know, that's only been cited like a hundred times.


https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...etType=PAYWALL

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/07/u...-election.html

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/19/63028...fers-new-clues

https://www.businessinsider.com/bern...y-study-2019-4
  #186  
Old 03-21-2020, 08:32 PM
Lamoral's Avatar
Lamoral is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Fenario
Posts: 3,294
I really wish Biden would shut up about gun control. I cringe every time I hear him advocating for greater restrictions on guns seemingly at every opportunity. The Democratic platform should be as big of a "tent" as possible right now and that undermines it.
  #187  
Old 03-21-2020, 08:33 PM
Whack-a-Mole's Avatar
Whack-a-Mole is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 21,325
All Russians and they can and will do that to anybody.

What about "Bernie Bros?"
__________________
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 03-21-2020 at 08:33 PM.
  #188  
Old 03-21-2020, 08:37 PM
Whack-a-Mole's Avatar
Whack-a-Mole is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 21,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
In what way is Bernie a better candidate.
Those numbers only swung that way recently since Biden became the front runner.

If Sanders was the front runner you'd see the same for him.

The person in the lead gets a bump. Nothing new about that.

Biden is a shit candidate. Trump will have all sorts of things to run him over with in the general.
__________________
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill

Last edited by Whack-a-Mole; 03-21-2020 at 08:37 PM.
  #189  
Old 03-21-2020, 10:07 PM
Telemark's Avatar
Telemark is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Just outside of Titletown
Posts: 23,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
Those numbers only swung that way recently since Biden became the front runner.
He became the front runner because more people voted for him. It's like we're in a vicious cycle.
  #190  
Old 03-21-2020, 10:27 PM
DrDeth is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: San Jose
Posts: 43,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
All Russians and they can and will do that to anybody.

What about "Bernie Bros?"
So, what you are doing is agreeing that the Kremlin attacked Hillary, but somehow doubting that Sanders supporters sent on any of those memes and lies? Oh come on now.
  #191  
Old 03-22-2020, 01:13 AM
Whack-a-Mole's Avatar
Whack-a-Mole is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 21,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
So, what you are doing is agreeing that the Kremlin attacked Hillary, but somehow doubting that Sanders supporters sent on any of those memes and lies? Oh come on now.
Good job not answering my question.

Seems you've got nothing but some feels.

I'm not surprised because there is nothing there and you know it. If there was you'd be landing all sorts of proof on my head. Instead you are evading.

The Russians just wanted to stir the pot and cause dissent and succeeded (you are proof it worked...you are the rube Russia was looking for). There is no way the Russians actually preferred Sanders over Clinton. Russia is not a socialist state anymore...far from it. Sanders would be anathema to the current Russian regime.
__________________
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative. I believe that to be so obvious and undeniable a fact that I hardly think any hon. Gentleman will question it." ~John Stuart Mill
  #192  
Old 03-22-2020, 10:22 AM
E-DUB's Avatar
E-DUB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whack-a-Mole View Post
Good job not answering my question.

Seems you've got nothing but some feels.

I'm not surprised because there is nothing there and you know it. If there was you'd be landing all sorts of proof on my head. Instead you are evading.

The Russians just wanted to stir the pot and cause dissent and succeeded (you are proof it worked...you are the rube Russia was looking for). There is no way the Russians actually preferred Sanders over Clinton. Russia is not a socialist state anymore...far from it. Sanders would be anathema to the current Russian regime.
Sanders as president of Russia would be anathema to the current Russian regime. Sanders as president of America would suit them just fine.
  #193  
Old 03-22-2020, 10:18 PM
Damuri Ajashi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoral View Post
I really wish Biden would shut up about gun control. I cringe every time I hear him advocating for greater restrictions on guns seemingly at every opportunity. The Democratic platform should be as big of a "tent" as possible right now and that undermines it.
I've been saying this since the 1990s.

There is no reason to deliberately shave away voters with an anti-gun stance.

Gun control is an electoral loser. I can't think of many pro-gun control voters who would vote Republican if we decided to back burner that issue until we got a few more justices on the court. Because right now, the court may be taking care of the gun control issue for us permanently no matter who gets elected then abortion and civil rights will be on the bubble if we don't get to choose RBG's successor.
  #194  
Old 03-23-2020, 06:01 AM
septimus's Avatar
septimus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the Land of Smiles
Posts: 21,137
Poor response to the pandemic, and the stock market crash would seem to reduce Trump's chances, but betting markets still show the race as almost a toss-up. To imagine that Trump supporters will react to GOP malice and incompetence ignores how utterly unable to apply cognitive skills these voters are. Normally, the D's would get a big publicity boost from the Convention, but that will be missed.

And don't forget that the GOP are cheaters. The pandemic will give them all sorts of new excuses to suppress votes, or litigate.

Arizona, Florida, Ohio are controlled by the GOP. You can kiss those "swing states" good-bye. Three key Rust-Belt swing states — Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania — (as well as No. Carolina) have GOP Legislatures but Democratic Governors. In those states the GOP will block any pro-voter legislation. And I would not be surprised to see Federal authorities intercede with measures, allegedly virus related, to suppress turn-out in Blue-voting districts.

The moment is supremely critical, but the chance is (at best) Fifty-fifty. A coin toss. Wow.
  #195  
Old 03-23-2020, 11:11 AM
Boycott is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 537
Just watched Biden speak for around 20 minutes. Spoke on three themes : Trump's handling of Covid-19 and the lack of action or seriousness from the top while the warnings were in January. The need for greater pace on testing (comparing us with South Korea), medical equipment and how in a war like situation the president must use the full force of the federal government to help the doctors and nurses on the front lines. The third theme was coinciding with the 10th anniversary of Obama signing into law the ACA and how in recent reports there is a strong indication that Trump wants the case soon to be heard in court to terminate the program. Biden naturally spoke about the need to protect and build on the ACA to provide more healthcare to people not take it away.

A solid address ... but as I said in another thread there is no point in having daily addresses. He doesn't hold office and therefore a speech like this which appears good on the surface will lose effect if all he does is repeat the same themes over and over.
  #196  
Old 03-29-2020, 04:51 PM
Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 16,973
Some bad numbers for Biden:
  • 15 percent of Bernie voters say they are going to vote for Trump this November;
  • Biden trails Trump by 29 percent in terms of voters who are "very enthusiastic for their candidate";
  • Four years ago, only 32 percent of Hillary voters said they were "very enthusiastic" for her; Biden is currently even worse, at 24 percent.
  • Trump and Biden are virtually tied in terms of "who would handle the coronavirus pandemic better?" (45 to 43 percent,) although that is likely to worsen for Trump as the pandemic worsens in the USA.
  • The mere 24 percent of "very enthusiastic" for Biden is the lowest that a Democratic candidate has ever gotten in twenty years of ABC/WaPo polling.
  #197  
Old 03-29-2020, 04:59 PM
Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11,261
I'm surprised the very enthused number is 24%, thought it would be lower. Maybe most of that 24% are family and friends of his.
  #198  
Old 03-30-2020, 06:33 AM
Boycott is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 537
Biden's the one who generated more turn out in most of the primaries. The numbers don't lie.
  #199  
Old 03-30-2020, 08:00 AM
racepug is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: the State of Columbia
Posts: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Oh you mean the voters. Yeah it’s a shame that everyone doesn’t agree with me all the time. It’s always their fault.
Nice snarky comment. Thanks for making it personal. And, yeah - I DO find fault with the majority of the voters. After all, they're the same idiots who picked the VERY polarizing H.R.C. last time who couldn't beat arguably THE most odious candidate for Prez in U.S. history in the general election. So I think I'm quite justified in blaming the voters and I don't really care if you (or anybody else, for that matter) are with me on that, or not.
  #200  
Old 04-04-2020, 06:47 PM
Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 41,469
Pffft. The clowns on this Board assured me three years ago that Trump could not win. Now I'm supposed to believe you guys when you say Biden can't win? He's gonna win all right, and win big. Mark my words.
__________________
The two most interesting things in the world: Other people's sex lives and your own money.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017