View Poll Results: Which of these do you consider a "major sport"?
Gridiron (American) football 78 88.64%
Association football ("Soccer") 65 73.86%
Baseball 79 89.77%
Basketball 79 89.77%
Hockey 71 80.68%
Golf 44 50.00%
Tennis 40 45.45%
Boxing 20 22.73%
Auto racing 29 32.95%
MMA 10 11.36%
Rugby 16 18.18%
Cricket 18 20.45%
Olympic sports 26 29.55%
X Games 3 3.41%
Pro wrestling 2 2.27%
Horse racing 10 11.36%
eSports 3 3.41%
Something else 3 3.41%
Nothing 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
NASCAR might be an engineering contest, but engineering contests aren't sports.
It's an endurance contest and test of timing for the drivers. I'd call it a sport, and a 'major' sport if we're speaking of Formula One.

Major sport is tricky. Is it determined by TV ratings? Then women's Olympic Figure Skating and Gymnastics qualify. Boxing used to qualify, if wiki is believed: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ion_broadcasts

Association Football, obviously, but the Cricket World Cup had some silly numbers---1 billion, India v. Pakistan---per the above link.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:19 PM

Depends on the country, of course. In the U.S. it's my personal opinion that football ("gridiron") pretty much leaves all other sports in its dust. Certainly that's the case for me. Soccer is obviously very popular in many places. Rugby and ice hockey are pretty popular but each in only a fraction of the countries that soccer is. Curling is really popular in Canada (or so I've been led to believe) and I get the impression that it's also popular in places like Norway and Sweden. Wrestling (not "pro") is pretty popular in many countries. How 'bout water polo? That's something that Hungarians take pretty seriously. My understanding is that they used to have a huge rivalry with, I think, Yugoslavia in the Olympics over that sport.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:47 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
We can debate if motorsports is "major" or not if you like (f1 is 2nd globally only to soccer) but to not count it as a sport at all is completely ridiculous.
By what measure is F1 the second biggest sport in the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug
Curling is really popular in Canada (or so I've been led to believe)
Curling is a popular participation sport, and people do like watching it on TV when a big thing is on, but in terms of spectator importance it's not a major sport by any measure, perhaps as obviously evidenced by the fact that there isn't much in the way of professional curling.

Last edited by RickJay; 03-14-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Then it should be easy to refute, right?
Sure is.

plural noun: sports
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
By what measure is F1 the second biggest sport in the world?
Good question. You usually hear it spouted by the talking heads during a race weekend. But here is an article that puts it 7th based on a lot of factors.

https://www.totalsportek.com/most-popular-sports/

2nd or 7th, the fact that it is included at all definitely means they consider it a sport.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
I voted for NASCAR, but capitalizing SPORTS in motorsports doesn't really support your point. You can argue including the word sports like eSports is showing they're not really sports.
I would absolutely call eSports a sport, but not quite major...yet.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

OK, is a cooking competition a sport? It involves skill and physical exertion, too. I would say that it's not, because a sport needs to be based primarily on physical exertion, and under that definition, neither cooking nor car racing qualifies.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:35 AM

Does the sport have stadiums named after companies that bought the naming rights? If yes, it's a major sport.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
OK, is a cooking competition a sport? It involves skill and physical exertion, too. I would say that it's not, because a sport needs to be based primarily on physical exertion, and under that definition, neither cooking nor car racing qualifies.
Auto racing is a sport simply because it has been accepted as a sport for decades, hell over 100 years now. Horse Racing, the same. Someday eSports will be accepted too it looks like. Though I'll probably disagree. Also, not just "physical exertion" but also hand/eye coordination or agility make a sport too. Thus Auto Racing, Darts, Billiards, Bowling, Golf etc.

You can't just make your own definition of what a sport is, neither can I. It is up to the general consensus. But if you're going to try, I would suggest avoiding narrowing it too much.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Auto racing is a sport simply because it has been accepted as a sport for decades, hell over 100 years now. Horse Racing, the same. Someday eSports will be accepted too it looks like. Though I'll probably disagree. Also, not just "physical exertion" but also hand/eye coordination or agility make a sport too. Thus Auto Racing, Darts, Billiards, Bowling, Golf etc.

You can't just make your own definition of what a sport is, neither can I. It is up to the general consensus. But if you're going to try, I would suggest avoiding narrowing it too much.
Now that you mention it, I think I do remember back in the days of ESPN broadcasting billiards, and if the announcer made reference to "one of the best in the sport" or something like that it wouldn't have sounded wrong to me.

It is weird to think of darts and pool as sports, though. Even bowling, which is much more sport-like but still kind of feels like something unathletic people do for fun, and thus not really fitting neatly into my personal definition of sports.

For me, I think of sports as competitive athletics. I do concede your point, though, and it's not a hill I'd die on.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 03-15-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:21 PM

You should see the way we use to play softball, hell you probably have. That was no true sport the way we played. Only slightly more activity than bowling, actually maybe less.

Also how I shoot pool and how the greats shoot pool is on two completely different planes of existence. Great billiards players are great athletes as far as repetitive hand eye coordination goes and it doesn't matter if they carry a goodly roll of fat. What I do is knock the balls around the table while drinking beer.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Sure, billiards, darts, and bowling are sports. They're all sports more of agility than of strength, but physical ability is still the primary component.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Physical exertion is definitely a thing in motorsports. They ain't just tooling around in an Accord to get groceries. They are cramped in a hot car and subjected to massive g forces (5-6 g's lateral in fast corners and forward during breaking) lap after lap for hours and the slightest fuckup can mean many deaths. All the while dealing with extremely complicated car systems/settings. Top level drivers are fit. They are constantly training in the gym just as any other athlete.

And I am perfectly ok with calling a cooking competition a sport.