Old 03-18-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza View Post
I just returned from a local CostCo run (North Atlanta suburbs), [...]

I snagged one of the last 10 packages of paper towels. There was a HUGE amount of bottled water.

My costco (melb.vic.au) has two large truckloads of bottled water filling the spacee where tissues and toilet paper would normally be.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:49 PM

I made a grocery run today, a little earlier than I usually go out, at around 9AM.

A lot of the shelves were running low, although they werenít completely out of most things. Crackers and hotdogs and juice were on my list for today and I got almost everything I went in for. I even took advantage of some sale prices, just like usual. But itís crazy -day by day and store by store.

I also observed several workers restocking shelves. Still no toilet paper or hand sanitizer, The store had received a fresh shipment of paper towels, like many people,we are low on TP and flush with paper towels and Kleenex.

I think we are going to start saving the TP for #2 and using the Kleenex and paper towels ( without flushing) for everything else. Iíve vacationed in places with sustainable sewage systems that didnít allow paper, so Iíve done the ďthrow the TP in the trashĒ thing before and you get used to it very fast.

So much so that in the Liberia, Costa Rica airport (which is convenient to lots of places that use the sustainable systems) there are signs in the restroom reminding you to flush the toilet paper.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:25 PM

Oh, and I went looking for TP online. I found novelty Trump TP in stock at around $14 a roll ($25 for 3) - thought about it and deemed it too expensive.

But then I found this gift set with a roll of Trump TP AND a Trump toilet brush for $11. That was worth it, itís coming this weekend. Iíve never looked forward to cleaning my toilet before.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 03-18-2020 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:28 AM

Hit the local Jewel in Chicago's SW burbs at 9AM. Headed first for the TP aisle but all I saw was completely empty shelves. Across the aisle there was still a good supply of paper napkins though. One look down the bread aisle - same story.

Plenty of produce available, but not much left of the "artisan" or baked in-store breads. Nothing left in the prepackaged lunchmeat section. Milk shelves were mostly empty, I got the last carton of lactose-free. GO ME! House brand dried pasta also mostly gone but was being restocked as I was grabbing the last 2 boxes of linguine.

Eggs? HA !!! Shelves were as empty as #45's soul. Frozen food section was mostly empty especially vegetables and pasta but frozen skillet meals and dinners were a bit better. Frozen pizzas were almost gone. Many of the shoppers seemed to be stocking up on soda but that could partly be because they were part of a "buy 5, get $5 off" deal. Every single aisle had at least one employee restocking shelves. Deli and bakery employees were wearing masks.

No nastiness or unruliness on the part of the shoppers, but a lot of frustration and a lot of phone calls being made reporting the situation and asking for further instructions. However did we manage to do our grocery shopping in the days before cellphones?.

If it's not raining I might try another store tomorrow.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:38 AM

H-E-B in Austin: No eggs, no soap, no laundry detergent pods, no toilet paper, almost all out of fresh produce (except for pre-packaged salads.) No alcohol wipes, sanitizer.

But......nobody is buying shampoo. Plenty of shampoo on the shelves. Aside from the fact that it bubbles a lot more, is there any reason a bit of shampoo can't do the same task as hand soap?
Old 03-19-2020, 12:55 PM

Did our regular shopping on a Th. instead of Fri. this week.

Much better in some regards. The produce section was almost up to snuff. The had a lot of milk. I mean, a lot.

The paper aisle was nearly empty ... except some pallets of one brand of toilet paper. So people were grabbing 2-3 big packages of those. I saw one cart with a whole box.

The meat section was really sad. Even the display case was bare. Lots of cheese. Some eggs. Nearly bare bread aisle but there were still some loaves of Dave's and such. As we left a guy was stocking some loaves. Seemed to be taking his time since he had so little to shelve. The frozen veggie section was still nearly empty.

Anyway, a step in the right direction. We got almost all we wanted to get.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:56 PM

Why the f--- isn't there some mandate for stores to limit few buyers from purchasing all of some item? Like a limit of 2 packs of TP per shopper?!?
Old 03-19-2020, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Nearly bare bread aisle but there were still some loaves of Dave's and such.
I myself have picked up one of the few remaining loaves of Dave's amongst an otherwise-empty bread shelf myself more than once this past week. Thankfully, Dave's is on my list of acceptable breads I occasionally buy anyway even if it is not my first choice.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Why the f--- isn't there some mandate for stores to limit few buyers from purchasing all of some item? Like a limit of 2 packs of TP per shopper?!?
In many stores, such as H-E-B, there is indeed such a limit. Two packs of TP per shopper.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:32 PM

Most of the stores Iíve been shopping at have limits posted on the always empty sand sanitizer and TP shelves.

This is one of those things that didnít have to be this way, the government shouldíve anticipated this panic-buying. And I still think itís being badly mishandled and I think there will be labor shortages within the distribution network - suddenly these low wage factory workers and loading dock workers and truck drivers and stock clerks and cashiers have the most critical jobs in the nation. Theyre being asked to risk exposure daily as they rest of us stay home, for minimum wage and meager benefits. I bet most of these people donít even have decent employer provided insurance.

Someone from my household goes to the grocery at least once a day, we usually need something or another but mostly for reconnaissance - I donít want to wait a week and risk being blind-sided by completely empty shelves.

Plus, weíve ended up going from store to store to store searching out items because the stock is so uneven. We can usually find everything but we have to hit multiple stores to get milk, bread AND eggs - every place is always out of something that other stores have. It increases contact, though.

And there seems to be no plan to address this except by telling people to ignore empty shelves, that the supply chain is strong because AMERICA RAH RAH. Not good enough for me.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 03-19-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
This is one of those things that didnít have to be this way, the government shouldíve anticipated this panic-buying.
OK, hand sanitizer is one thing but who would have expected toilet paper to be the big thing that people hoard?
Old 03-19-2020, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
I myself have picked up one of the few remaining loaves of Dave's amongst an otherwise-empty bread shelf myself more than once this past week. Thankfully, Dave's is on my list of acceptable breads I occasionally buy anyway even if it is not my first choice.
I think a LOT of people are about to learn to make their own bread, and even sourdough. I am on a bunch of cooking FB pages, and I feel like I've been doing noting for the past 2 days except reposting the link to the King Arthur Flour website with instructions on how to make your own sourdough starter.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Most of the stores Iíve been shopping at have limits posted on the always empty sand sanitizer and TP shelves.
But, but, but ... I have a ton of sand that needs sanitizing.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
We do have that at my store.

We're still out of TP.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:11 PM

Been thinking lately how hard you are working and how stressful it is to be at work, Broomstick. Stay safe and well. And thanks.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:24 PM

South Jersey Shoprite today - zero paper products, no chicken, very limited beef. I didn't even look at the water. Nothing wrong with our award winning water supply. Unlike Tuesday, there were not many customers.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translucent Daydream View Post
Been thinking lately how hard you are working and how stressful it is to be at work, Broomstick. Stay safe and well. And thanks.
Thank you.

Next week's schedule has even longer hours for all of us.

One of my coworkers was taken away in an ambulance today. Not the covid virus. Suspected heart attack.

My next day off is not until Wednesday. Every day we get asked "will you stay longer?" No. I need my sanity and my rest. I will work the hours I am assigned, but not more than that.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:32 PM

Onwe of the nice things about living in a small town is you dont get as much crazy panic for things. The people dont exist to make a long line for anything so its not as much of a freakout.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Dallas just loosened up restrictions that will allow truck drivers to make deliveries to grocery stores 24/7.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:12 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
How much rice do you consume that you're thinking of stockpiling a hundred pounds of it?
There is an Asian grocery in Little Rock that sells rice in fifty pound bags.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:18 AM

We're trying not to stock up too much, but it is a freak-out when there's no oatmeal, say. I was in line at 7:00 this morning to buy a bag of manure and some squash seeds, because if we go to a more extensive lockdown, I'm guessing the home and garden centers won't be exempt.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

We usually have a fair stock of ground chicken and turkey, and chicken breasts, in our fridge and chest freezer. But with things being the way they've been lately, we were down to one small pack of chicken breasts. We've got plenty of everything else, but this was a noticeable hole in our larder, the way we cook.

So I hit the local Giant when it opened at 6am. The poultry shelves were bare, but the guy behind the meat counter said they were getting ready to unload a truck. So I waited, and was rewarded with two or three each of ~1 lb. packs of ground chicken and ground turkey, and family packs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

So now we're in good shape on pretty much everything; we'll just need to top off the supplies every now and then as opportunity presents itself.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:02 PM

I went to Target this morning. No water, milk or eggs, which were all on my list.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:05 PM

This morning the local grocery had most everything other than TP/paper towels. And bananas - tho they said more were coming. So we're plenty stocked w/o hoarding.

Store reserved Tues, Thurs mornings for senior citizens.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
if we go to a more extensive lockdown, I'm guessing the home and garden centers won't be exempt.
They might be. New York State has sensibly declared food production an essential business; and food producers, even professional ones, need access to seed, tools, etc. While some of those come through wholesale sources, farmers also need local hardware stores and similar places. And I would think that many areas would want to encourage home gardening in addition -- both in case of possible food supply disruptions, and as something that can be done at home.

However at this point I'm certainly not giving guarantees about anything. Go ahead and get your seed now; it can't hurt. (Just only buy what you think you're actually going to use.)
Old 03-20-2020, 04:53 PM

Yeah, we just got a couple of extra tomato starts. I'll hope they stay open. Our better, local garden center closed right after I went in this week.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:04 PM

Big change since Sunday. I went to the same Kroger as last weekend, about 3:30 PM Friday. Much more emptied out. No sanitizing wipes by the carts, an employee was spraying and wiping carts for customers as they came in. No beef except expensive steak. Pork way down since Sunday, mostly store brand sausage and bratwurst. Canned fruits and vegetables massively depleted. There was a case of diced tomatoes so I grabbed 3 cans. If you like canned artichoke hearts you are in luck...so far. Bread was available, mostly wheat. Bakery loaves available but only big ones. Frozen fish was gone except for some tilapia patties (grabbed a few) and super cheap store brand fish sticks. There were frozen french fries which I've been told are a hot item locally but only 5 lb. bags. Fruit juice which was plentiful Sunday was gone. Still plenty of bottled water. Hand sanitizer and isopropyl alcohol all gone. Still no TP, only some super high priced fancy napkins. Still lots of apples and oranges, onions, some other produce but no potatoes. No hand sanitizer at the checkout as before. The cashier had a spray bottle of something that she was spraying the checkout line with.
Things looked much worse. I overheard the cashier tell the customer ahead of me that they had gotten ground beef and chicken in earlier but it went fast.
I definitely had that "Shit's gettin' real" feeling.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:39 PM

I went back to my local Whole Foods today and they no longer have a pallet of TP; they appeared to be completely out. Other than that, though, it largely looked normal. Produce was completely stocked. The meats were probably 2/3rds stocked but they had everything. Lots of eggs, milk, and cheese; bread was about half stocked. The only thing besides TP that looked scarce was yogurt and flour. Paper towels were low but present.

I assume most of the low-stocked areas were manpower related; there was a staffer in every aisle putting something out and trying to keep on top of things.

Somewhat interesting to me is that despite all this the store was about normally busy and check-out was a breeze. The crush must have come earlier in the day.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Darn, the local Hispanic market that was usually avoided by non-hispanics, was "discovered" by all other Americans in Phoenix.

Fess up, who took all the ajo?!?! Carajo!

Even the all the garlic salt was gone, and yes, also the usual in this pandemic, no more meats, soups, TP...

Last edited by GIGObuster; 03-20-2020 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Publix had a lot.
Kroger--very little.

Last weeks, I was able to score a half-gallon of bleach & some antibacterial soap bars at Walgreens.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
Darn, the local Hispanic market that was usually avoided by non-hispanics, was "discovered" by all other Americans in Phoenix.

Fess up, who took all the ajo?!?! Carajo!
Is that Food City, or something even smaller and more local? I only visit Phoenix max twice a year, but that's my favorite place to shop (The one in Chandler and Ray). Great food court, too. I know there's a number of locations, but it does seem to be relatively lesser known, as far as I could tell, by non-Hispanics.

Last edited by pulykamell; 03-21-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:33 PM

My local hardware store had big spray bottles of Clorox-based cleanser for under $3.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:42 PM

I have to go to the grocery again tomorrow. I’ve been trying to only buy what we need but we are going through it fast because everyone is home all day and we haven’t been eating out. There’s too much empty space in the pantry and fridge now.

We are running through our remaining TP faster, too. We still have a couple of rolls each ( I have 3, plus a small roll of novelty Trump TP) but we are using paper towels and Kleenex for anything that isn’t stinky or gross and putting it in the wastebasket.

Plus people probably just eat more when they’re home all day with too little to do. The stores are going to be struggling to keep up.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
I definitely had that "Shit's gettin' real" feeling.
I've been having this feeling since about Thursday. I've been considering starting a "talk me off the ledge" thread!
Old 03-21-2020, 11:30 PM

We likely won't see a CostCo for another few weeks but I managed to break through the snowbanks today and reach the small county seat and its WalMart. Driving downhill, I started taking audio notes on merchant status, but quit halfway down because much of what's up here must be essential. Beauty parlors, bars, decor shops were closed. Minimarts, takeout eateries, hardware and dollar stores were open.

WalMart was busy but hey, it was midday Saturday. Paper products were well picked over. TP was gone but we're supplied. Vinyl gloves, isopropyl alcohol, OTC respiratory meds, canned meals - gone. Many picnic items were featured. A shopper said panic buyers had swept in from Sacramento (1.5 hours away) and even Nevada (2+ hours) to empty this store of certain items.

The big bargain store was less busy but sold out of cheap wine, packaged flan, decent coffee, and many jerkys. We'll necessarily be back Tuesday for a scheduled grocery pickup at a major market. I hope the town stays calm.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioRico View Post
We likely won't see a CostCo <snip>
Petty nitpick: Costco, not CostCo.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:48 PM

Was at Wal-Mart this morning they were out of: canned pasta(i.e. ravioli, spaghetti rings), ramen, most of the canned soup, dry pasta(the boxes they sell $1); pasta sauce(well the tomato based ones they still alfredo sauces left); macaroni& cheese, most of the canned tuna/meat(they plenty of sardines left though!); nut meat in meat case; most of frozen chicken products(i.e nuggets and patties) were gone; the frozen pizza were most sold out(except, luckily for me, the still had my favorite brand!!); canned vegetables gone; canned tomatoes wre gone; almost all rice was gone; almost all instant mashed potatoes were gone.

The local Dollar Tree was sold out of ramen and its canned food aisle was depleted.

The local Hannaford had most of the same products as Wal-Mart sold out or vastly depleted. The Hannaford was out of milk and butter as well.

They were purchase limits on toilet paper and paper towels and most cleaning products in all three stores; there wasn't much of them on there shelves.

Apparently when they decided to close NH schools for three weeks a lot of families weren't prepared and that's when the panic buying and hoarding began. I hope the panic buying eventually calms down.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

I would really like to buy eggs. We usually go through about a dozen each week and I haven't been able to get replacements.

Everything else I've needed (we don't need toilet paper) has been available, although we got the second to last milk last weekend.

And it's time for my regular Costco run but I don't want to deal with the lines.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:08 AM

We went out shopping at the beginning of March, before we had a positive test in Colorado and bought supplies for the family for a two week quarientien and our normal monthly supplies. By the middle of next week, after the first positive test, the TP isle was bare and they were stocking it on pallets in the isle and the milk was sold out.

Yesterday, I went to the store and bought the last bag of shredded cheese and the only fresh meat was a 10.5 pound pork loin that i think scared people away but it was only $20 so it came home with me. I bought 4 of the lastt 8 one pound bags of pasta left in the store and mostly finished off the frozen chicken selection. There were no paper products of any kind available and the canned isle was 80% empty. They we also mostly out of the 5 pound bags or potatoes but I was able to snag one. We're starting to run low on TP and I would have bought some it if was available and paper towles too. We may have to shop early in the morning this week to get enough for next month.

The clerk at the grocery store was hopeful, apparently she had heard rumors that Washington and Oregon were back to normal shopping habits and since we were about two weeks behind them in starting that we would stop in two weeks too. The manager at the liquor store told me they were worried about the people hoarding liquor who were going to try and return what they didn't drink after this blows through he thought it might bankrupt the store. I told him about Costco refusing returns on commonly hoarded items like TP and he looked thoughtful.

Last edited by Oredigger77; 03-22-2020 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:19 AM

Sadly, Washington and Oregon aren't back to normal shopping patterns.

Last edited by susan; 03-22-2020 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
Petty nitpick: Costco, not CostCo.
It's The Dope! We LOVE petty nitpicks!
Old 03-22-2020, 04:10 PM

In my part of Canada, panic buying has largely been limited to toilet paper (and similar things like serviettes), hand sanitizer and surface wipes. They have limited TP to two rolls, but still have none in stock. The message soap is better than sanitizer does not seem to have been received, but sanitizer is obviously more convenient.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

We just went out for a walk and passed by the beauty supply store (it's one largely aimed at professionals, not retail trade) a couple of blocks from home. It was completely boarded up. I think they are not anticipating being open again for a while - they sell things like disinfectants, and gloves in large quantities. I imagine they are afraid of break-ins.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The paper products at the local Albertson's is emptier today than it was a few days ago. I think it will continue to be scarce for quite a while because the "missing" items snapped up by the earliest panic buyers and would-be eBay toilet paper barons can't be immediately replaced by the manufacturers. They don't have the capacity to double their output in order to catch up. Unless and until shoppers see that the shelves are fully stocked all day every day, panic buying and shortages will continue.

I didn't look for eggs, but I'll bet the same applies there. Chickens, too, are incapable of ramping up egg production for one day or one week to to replace the extra product that was bought during the first days of the crisis.

Speaking of Soviet-era shortages of consumer goods, I wonder now to what extent they were caused by panic buying as opposed to actual shortages. Because here today we have people queueing up in the morning cold, hoping they can buy TP.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Spectre of Pithecanthropus; 03-22-2020 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorvann View Post
Apparently when they decided to close NH schools for three weeks a lot of families weren't prepared and that's when the panic buying and hoarding began. I hope the panic buying eventually calms down.
Unless things have changed since I was in public school, and I sure hope they have, nobody ever wants to take a dump there because the stalls have no doors. So if the need arises, kids hold it until they get home, if at all possible.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:11 AM

Just by the way, here is Saudi we got TP. No hand sanitizer however. I suppose since most everything is imported we probably have quite a bit of stuff in reserve.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 03-23-2020, 01:11 AM

Still no eggs available in the stores near me. I'm not going to drive around all over town trying to find some. It is kind of scary. Also they have limited stocks of other things that are not staples like eggs but still kind of freaks me out - like you can pretty much get vanilla ice cream only. No fun or unique flavors. I guess I'm pretty spoiled and obviously ice cream is not a necessity, but it just kind of freaks me out that you can't get all the flavors anymore. Something that seemed ubiquitous and easy to get and I never gave a second thought is now apparently too difficult to supply.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre of Pithecanthropus View Post
(snip)Speaking of Soviet-era shortages of consumer goods, I wonder now to what extent they were caused by panic buying as opposed to actual shortages. Because here today we have people queueing up in the morning cold, hoping they can buy TP.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I worked in a small town in Russia for about six months. It was after the end of the Soviet era, but there were plenty of people who remembered. One guy told me that people stockpiled consumer goods. He said that in the stores there was no bread, no sugar, no chocolate, no vodka, yet when you went to peoples homes they had closets full. He called it a "Soviet miracle". People bought stuff they didn't need because they didn't know if the stores would have it when they did need it.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:27 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

"Grandfather, what is queue?"
"Why, in Soviet Union, we used to stand in a queue to buy butter."
"Grandfather, what is butter?"
Old 03-23-2020, 08:03 PM

Costco says it will NOT accept returns for toilet paper, sanitizing wipes, Lysol, paper towels, water and rice.
https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/22/costc...g-coronavirus/

But who in their right mind would want to return these?