Old 03-18-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Whether or not you agree that they are lies you have to admit that they constitute Bernie going hard negative even after the fat lady had started warming up for her aria.
I don't think that's even close to "hard negative", but I understand that others feel differently. Politics is a rough sport!
Old 03-18-2020, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I don't think that's even close to "hard negative", but I understand that others feel differently. Politics is a rough sport!
Lying about Bidens stand on SocSec (and Poltifact rated Bernie "Mostly false" aka "mostly lying")= hard negative.

His Bros spreading the rumor Joe is senile.

All Bernie can do is attack Biden.

Look at Bernies health plan- fantastic- in the original sense of the word- he might as well propose magic unicorns running around and healing everyone with their horns, since that is exactly as likely as Sanders health plan getting thru congress.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:09 PM

Ross Perot in 1992 gave us Bill Clinton.
Bernie Sanders in 2016 gave us Danegeld Jenius Tromp.
George Wallace and John Anderson gave us nothing.
Will 2020 give us Cthulhu? I'd prefer Biden.

Quote:
Many of them.
Top voters. Many. Top. Voters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
Ok, we can stop now.
Too late. The brakes have failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Whether or not you agree that they are lies you have to admit that they constitute Bernie going hard negative even after the fat lady had started warming up for her aria.
Bernie is now history, an interesting footnote. As Mark Twain said, "History doesn't repeat itself but it rhymes." Bernie is now up there with Ross Perot, but poorer.

Off-topic Perot story, secreted in spoiler.
SPOILER:
My SIL was a VERY senior exec at a VERY large US financial institution. She was invited to Perot's desolate Texas family ranch for a conference. She gazed at the bleak surroundings and asked why his family had settled there. He looked her in the eye and drawled, "Mule died." Many have similar excuses. We lived in an Arizona-Sonora border town whose residents mainly took wrong turns to get there.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:30 PM

For people saying Bernie shouldn't bow out because he's not yet mathematically eliminated: uhhh...how many candidates historically wait until that point? We had at least a couple dozen running this cycle, and at least twenty of them dropped out (or "suspended") before it was mathematically impossible for them to get a majority of delegates. That's how it works. You get out when the writing's on the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
It is absolutely absurd that the argument is being made that we need to be soft and gentle with his supporters and provide for their fragile emotional needs and egos in this difficult time to help them transition to supporting another candidate. Every candidate had supporters who were saddened their choice had to drop out of the race. Every supporter moved on and made the decision on whom to support instead with the goal of defeating Trump. There was none of this histrionics.

Yes, it's actually very patronizing and implicitly insulting to Bernie supporters that there is all this talk about how careful we have to be with them, to avoid spooking them. Like they are intellectually disabled or mentally ill, and have to be dealt with so very, very gingerly--unlike the supporters of any of the other candidates who ran! It's pathetic.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
For people saying Bernie shouldn't bow out because he's not yet mathematically eliminated: uhhh...how many candidates historically wait until that point? We had at least a couple dozen running this cycle, and at least twenty of them dropped out (or "suspended") before it was mathematically impossible for them to get a majority of delegates. That's how it works. You get out when the writing's on the wall.
Oh yeah, that's a huge conspiracy by the godlike DNC, dontchaknow, who forced them to drop out and endorse Joe.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:25 PM

Come on, guys. I've been disagreeing with iiandyiiii but I agree with him that there's no good in being sore winners. Chillax. We're in a pandemic, ffs. Get some perspective.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Then your definition of hard negative is too narrow to be useful in this discussion. The issue is whether Sanders continued campaigning is going to hurt Biden in the general election.

If Sanders had proceeded with a positive but differential message, "Biden and I both want to protect our seniors but my way will be better and here is why" then that would be fine. But telling everyone that Biden wants to cut your social security is, at this point, a campaign ad for Trump. Just swap out the bit with Sanders and replace it with Trump saying that he will expand social security and you are good to go.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 03-19-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:34 PM

^^ This 1000%