Old 03-15-2020, 08:22 PM

US national lockdown coming...as early as Tuesday

I have heard from several credible sources that as early as Tuesday March 17th, that the US federal government will be instituting a national lockdown, similar to what has been done in France and Spain, and could last as long as 8 weeks.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
I have heard from several credible sources that as early as Tuesday March 17th, that the US federal government will be instituting a national lockdown, similar to what has been done in France and Spain, and could last as long as 8 weeks.
Shit, on St. Patty's day no less. Think about all that green beer that's going to waste!
Old 03-15-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Shit, on St. Patty's day no less. Think about all that green beer that's going to waste!
Old 03-15-2020, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
You can say that again!
Old 03-15-2020, 09:46 PM

I could use the free time away from wrok, and would like to see the isolation kind of stall this mess. But that's me. Lots of prople must work tomorrow to pay their fucking bills. I'm sure Trump has a plan. Hooray Republicans, thanks for putting a fucking moron in charge. Assholes.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Credible sources such as...?
Old 03-15-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
You should go buy a few cases quick, before everybody else does.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:25 PM

help I'm in a rehab and I can't get out
Old 03-15-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
You can say that again!
Old 03-15-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Iím guessing itís based on things like this.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/dr...own-2020-03-15
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/15/polit...ing/index.html
Itís one thing for officials to consider it. Itís another to actually do it. I have serious doubts about the logistical possibility of such a thing.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
GQ: Does the federal government (or anyone else) actually have the authority to institute such a thing? Not that itís necessarily a bad idea, but can it be done?
Old 03-16-2020, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
Thanks for taking one for the team!
Old 03-16-2020, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Forget the green beer. Reality check: Saint Patrick's drink was church wine.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:28 AM

I find it inappropriate to be spreading rumors. There is enough of that on lesser parts of the Internet. I expect better of the Dope.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 03-16-2020, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierce View Post
GQ: Does the federal government (or anyone else) actually have the authority to institute such a thing? Not that itís necessarily a bad idea, but can it be done?
I'm no big city lawyer, but it seems to me that this is a 10th amendment issue, so it'd be up to the states to institute shutdowns or quarantines (which several of them, such as my own, have done).
Old 03-16-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
This. The other day I heard someone insisting that "they knew" Fed-Ex and UPS were shutting down soon. I pressed for details and found out she was just repeating gossip a friend who drives for Fed-Ex had heard.

I also heard a woman insisting her mother had corona. This would have been a first case for my area. The next day the woman told me her mom had "pranked" her.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierce View Post
Federal law allows authorities or order the isolation or quarantine of people sick with or exposed to health hazards. I donít know of any general authority to stop commerce generally.

However, if a President says that stuff needs to shut down in an emergency like this, the pressure for governors to fall in line and carry out the policy becomes extreme.

But I agree that this is no time for spreading rumors like this. In fact, I think it is extremely irresponsible to do so.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:13 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

The Moderator Speaks

This isnít a good thing right now. But Iím opposed to vanishing it on policy grounds.

Still, IMHO might suit it better given that itís just speculation and rumor.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
I find it inappropriate to be spreading rumors. There is enough of that on lesser parts of the Internet. I expect better of the Dope.
Completely agree.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I'm no big city lawyer, but it seems to me that this is a 10th amendment issue, so it'd be up to the states to institute shutdowns or quarantines (which several of them, such as my own, have done).
Seems to me that ultimately, they have the military and sovereign immunity, so really they CAN do it, and worry about the legal fallout later, IF they even allow the states or anyone else to sue them about it.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:46 AM

University of Virginia has put together a pretty good GIS app that gives an overview of countries effected.

COVID-19 Surveillance Dashboard
Old 03-16-2020, 09:09 AM

I would be shocked, if they do institute some kind of lockdown, that it would initially be anything like 8 weeks.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:10 AM

There is a rumor floating around out there, but at this time it's false. That being said, a number of the counties around here are almost there, & if it's as bad as they say it's probably not a bad idea.

Quote:
Then it won't go to waist.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I have heard from several credible sources
The more I think about this, the more interesting it is. I do not think I know any "credible sources" for information like this, let alone "several credible sources".

Who is credible, really? If they are telling the OP this information, doesn't their credibility automatically fall a notch or two? I mean, we have proof that the OP is not someone who would keep this information to himself, right?
Old 03-16-2020, 10:03 AM

The day of several primaries? Sounds like a rumor.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Who is credible, really? If they are telling the OP this information, doesn't their credibility automatically fall a notch or two? I mean, we have proof that the OP is not someone who would keep this information to himself, right?
No. I have no idea how credible the sources are but people do spill this type of stuff. They want their mom/brother/best friend to buy groceries before it's too late. They blab after a couple drinks. "Can't keep a big secret" /= "not credible".
Old 03-16-2020, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Seems to me that ultimately, they have the military and sovereign immunity, so really they CAN do it, and worry about the legal fallout later, IF they even allow the states or anyone else to sue them about it.
As a practical matter, I donít think the federal government has the capacity to maintain a nationwide shutdown. Thereís not enough troops and federal agents. Itíll be the state governors whoíll need to enforce any shutdowns.

As a matter of law, I donít think the federal government can claim sovereign immunity from a lawsuit by a state.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
As a matter of law, I donít think the federal government can claim sovereign immunity from a lawsuit by a state.
AFAIK, the whole sovereign immunity concept is absolute, unless specifically waived by the sovereign.

And also, I think that states can't even be sued by other states without their own consent even in Federal court under the sovereign immunity doctrine.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

The state of Maryland has ordered all bars, restaurants, gyms, and movie theaters to close as of 5pm today. No time limit was given. There can still be carry out and food delivery services though. This is going to be very interesting around here now.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:55 AM

Anyone here in L.A.? A friend texted today that his daughter is there and that the city is "locked down." Can anyone confirm?
Old 03-16-2020, 11:57 AM

SC SAYS TEXT MESSAGES ABOUT A CORONAVIRUS NATIONAL QUARANTINE ARE FAKE, THERE IS NO NATIONAL LOCKDOWN
https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus...owBs8Bq2OdTHBw

Quote:
The White House has assured citizens that rumors being spread via text message claiming the government is due to implement a national quarantine in order to deal with the threat of the coronavirus are fake.

The National Security Council (NSC) issued a statement confirming that the texts suggesting that President Donald Trump will enforce a two-week period of national quarantine within the next 72 hours after evoking the Stafford Act are a hoax.

"There is no national lockdown," the NSC tweeted. "The Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] has and will continue to post the latest guidance on COVID-19."

The message, which claims to be from someone's "friend in the military," advises people to stock up on two weeks worth of supplies and to forward the text onto other people to warn them too.

Last edited by susan; 03-16-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

So, in other words, there's going to be a lockdown.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Anyone here in L.A.? A friend texted today that his daughter is there and that the city is "locked down." Can anyone confirm?
From another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by peccavi View Post
Los Angeles is now officially on lockdown - theaters closed, no dine-in at restaurants, bars and clubs closed, gyms and fitness centers closed, bowling alleys.

I wonder what the effect on other cities in LA county is going to be. The South Bay is a mosaic of small towns, each with its own local government, but when the big dog barks, the little dogs usually fall in line.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:18 PM

What's described in that text isn't a "lock-down"--it's closure of some types of business. Are people required to stay home? Is the post office closed? Are there guards in the street enforcing a curfew or quarantine?
Old 03-16-2020, 02:20 PM
Mod Rocker

I have dismissed claims of a national "lockdown" as stupid, unnecessary, and outside the realm of any official, but then I saw this:
"The White House has assured citizens that rumors being spread . . . " and figured that if Trump denies it, I should not dismiss it out of hand.
(It is not going to happen, but it would be a Trump sort of action to both deny it and try to simultaneously order it.)
Old 03-16-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
I have dismissed claims of a national "lockdown" as stupid, unnecessary, and outside the realm of any official, but then I saw this:
"The White House has assured citizens that rumors being spread . . . " and figured that if Trump denies it, I should not dismiss it out of hand.
(It is not going to happen, but it would be a Trump sort of action to both deny it and try to simultaneously order it.)
My bold.

Definitely his M.O.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:32 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
What are these sources?
Old 03-16-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
What are these sources?
Stringer Bell? (he did test positive)
Old 03-16-2020, 03:13 PM
Mod Rocker

Old 03-16-2020, 03:27 PM

Two very big words: Lock. Down.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:01 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that IF they were planning on a lockdown, and planning to use the active-duty military to enforce it, this would be trivially easy to identify, as it's not a quick or stealthy thing to move thousands of troops out of a military base to anywhere.

Same for mobilizing the National Guard- that's going to be obvious as well.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

What, exactly, would a "lockdown" even mean? Closure of certain categories of businesses (and if so, what categories)? Closing freeways? Airports? Nobody allowed out of their home? And how would any of this be enforced-- Are the police going to be allowed out? The military? Will some activity be deemed "essential", and who determines that? Depending on how you interpret "lockdown", it could mean anything from "what we have right now" to "immediately nuke every city that's had a suspected case".
Old 03-16-2020, 04:21 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

The Bay Area counties are issuing a "shelter in place" order until April 7th, or as conditions dictate. We're allowed to go to work or the store and apparently dog walking and hiking are okay too.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:25 PM

The reason why this crackdown is happening is because the government is trying to prevent further spreading of this cancerous virus.

Stop thinking that this is a joke, this is not a joke at all.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:43 PM

Wut??!!
Cancerous? I don't think so.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
My sister and a bunch of friends are there. Yes, LA is under lockdown.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

The governor is shutting down all restaurants (except for take-out or delivery) at midnight tonight. We were going to go out for Mexican food tonight, since it will be a while before we can go again. The owner said they shut down today. Unfortunately, margaritas are not on the take-out menu.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
He's just working out the logistics of housing all the troops in his properties so he can be paid for it.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
My sister and a bunch of friends are there. Yes, LA is under lockdown.
Same things are shut down in New York State.

But it NOT a lockdown.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCuse View Post
Same things are shut down in New York State.

But it NOT a lockdown.
I'm just using the word they are using.