Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 03-19-2020, 05:48 PM
racepug is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: the State of Columbia
Posts: 1,471
I personally have no problem, whatsoever, with it being referred to as "Wuhan virus" or "Chinese flu" or whatever else our fine Prez (and his many acolytes) wish to refer to it as. These weird bugs come out of "Jy-na" for a reason (actually, several) and I think it's only fair that the Chinese (or even just a segment) get saddled with this outbreak being named after them. Eff them and their open-air markets, (illegal) exotic animal trade, and lack of governmental control.
  #52  
Old 03-19-2020, 06:01 PM
orcenio is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Reveling in? Like your lack of any kind of factual perspective. Did Trump allow the virus to spread in China? Did he allow it to spread in Italy? No. But there are quite a few lefty Trumps on these boards who speak from emotion and ignorance. Who are willing to name call and rush to hasty conclusions. Truthful information is pretty damn hard to come by when the nation of origin jails and journo or academic who dares speak the truth. Inaction? Should he have immediately shut the borders? We still arent sure exactly what the Feds can actually do without some kind of martial law being declared. If he had done that this thread would be about Trumps naked attempt to grab power and make himself President for life. I hate Trump but I would rather try to look at the facts as objectively as I possibly can and give him some space. It took months and an exponential spread of HIV for SF/LA/NYC to shut down their bathhouses. Dealing with pandemics is hard an uncertain work.
Keep passing that buck while Trump wastes time and lies to you. Trump says he closes travel from Europe, but doesn't. Trump says you have enough tests, but don't. Trump says he acted quickly by early closing travel from China, but didn't until it was already all over Italy, Iran, Europe. Trump says that the pandemic will just "go away" it doesn't. Trump says google is setting up a testing website, it isn't. Trump says he never heard of the firing of your emergency pandemic team, he did. Trump says nobody knew of the coronavirus a month ago, when the dem were using it as a talking point all during their debates.

He's spreading lies and misinformation DAILY! He's using these addresses to insult the press and politicize shit like THE NAME of the virus. You are bathing in this gross and deadly mismanagement. What will you say when your employment numbers follow the tanking of your stock markets? Nothing. Just China, China, China. Never focusing on Trumps gross mishandling. Good job.
  #53  
Old 03-19-2020, 06:05 PM
tomndebb is offline
Mod Rocker
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: N E Ohio
Posts: 40,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post
The difference between the Wuhan Virus and the other geographically-named viruses is that only Wuhan has the power of the Chinese state trying to get the name changed.
More likely, the fact that American and European corporations tend to dominate telecommunications means that reporters latched onto a "foreign" location for the name rather than selecting a more neutral name. If it was simply a matter of picking a name geographically, the strain of H1N1 that came to be called Swine Flu would have received the name American Flu based on where it originated. As noted above, the naming of the geographically named diseases predates the spread of modern media. Spanish Flu was a deliberate effort to mislead people about its origin and spread.

I am not denying the reprehensible Trump-like actions of China in downplaying the origin and severity of the disease, (maybe we should call it the Chinese-Trump Disinformation Flu), but the number of assaults on Chinese persons and establishments and Chinese appearing persons with Trump's influence renders "Wuhan Virus" or "Chinese Virus" to be basically both misleading and (deliberately) xenophobic.
  #54  
Old 03-19-2020, 06:46 PM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 35,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
There has been criticism that the term "Wuhan virus" is racist, or stigmatizing, because it gives social stigma to people from Wuhan, which is a large and prominent city.

At the same time, however, terms such as Ebola virus (Ebola river in Congo,) or Lassa Fever (Lassa in Nigeria), Nipah virus (Sungai Nipah in Malaysia,) Zika virus (Zika forest in Uganda,) Rift Valley fever (Rift valley in Kenya,) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (the Middle East,) remain prevalent in usage, with little or no controversy.

Is it only because Wuhan is a well-known city and hence the stigma would arise more easily (whereas most Westerners wouldn't recognize the name Lassa or Sungai Nipah?) Or because China has more clout and the international community is more reluctant to anger China?
The CCP is waging a full on propaganda war right now. They are playing every card in the deck, including the racism card, because they know that saying 'racism' is a trigger in the west. So, the reason you are even asking this question is because the CCP wants you to ask it....and has literally flooded the west and western media with this narrative. Back at home, Chinese state run media has been playing fast and loose with the facts, kind a sort of saying that, well, maybe the virus originated elsewhere. Maybe it was manufactured and planted by the US. There is no scientific proof of where it originated, as no one knows who patient zero is. Blah blah blah. This is a fairly recent thing, but notice that it's all through our own media. Hell, the WHO is ever ready to blow the CCP for that sweet, sweet China money, and there is a self perpetuating feed back look between WHO praise of China (and down playing the not so good aspects) and the Chinese state media quoting WHO about how great they are doing...and then western media quoting both. It's a total circle jerk and folks are falling for it. Completely forgotten seems to be things like the first case was in November, and the Chinese sat on this and also deliberately covered it up, even to the point of encouraging folks to congregate together in public, so that this thing spread wildly not just throughout China but throughout the world. It's pretty interesting if you look at where the hot spots are through the world and you follow the belt and road money.

So, you are asking this question and wondering about racism and why it shouldn't be called 'Wuhan virus', and perhaps questioning whether even saying it originated in China is racism and racist because the CCP wants you to be doing those things...and pretty much everyone is playing along for some reason. Trusted institutes (well, the SHOULD be trusted) like western media and the WHO are in lockstep and going along, so you think, yeah, this must be a thing. It's not. Unless 'a thing' is 'a manufactured thing'.
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #55  
Old 03-19-2020, 07:38 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,838
OK, I literally can't find anyone calling it "Wuhan virus" except for some site that said that Secretary of State Pompeo called it that. It was always coronavirus to me, not because I'm politically correct, but because that's all it was ever called on any site or news source I look at.

Can someone point to any mainstream site calling it that? I feel like this whole thread is started on false pretenses.

BTW, that Trump thing, overwriting coronavirus and changing it to China virus? I know it's like number one billion in all the awful things he's done, but it really bothers me. What a divisive asshole that guy is.
  #56  
Old 03-19-2020, 07:42 PM
Chingon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the hypersphere
Posts: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
OK, I literally can't find anyone calling it "Wuhan virus" except for some site that said that Secretary of State Pompeo called it that. It was always coronavirus to me, not because I'm politically correct, but because that's all it was ever called on any site or news source I look at.



Can someone point to any mainstream site calling it that? I feel like this whole thread is started on false pretenses.



BTW, that Trump thing, overwriting coronavirus and changing it to China virus? I know it's like number one billion in all the awful things he's done, but it really bothers me. What a divisive asshole that guy is.
Nope, you're just a CCP stooge according to our Trump supporting posters.
  #57  
Old 03-19-2020, 07:46 PM
Triskadecamus is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: I'm coming back, now.
Posts: 7,646
Popular news media call it the Wuhan Virus. Science calls it SARS-CoV-2. The WHO and CDC refer to the disease caused by it as Covid-19.
  #58  
Old 03-19-2020, 07:50 PM
Ravenman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 27,864
The people who think “Wuhan virus” is a real name also think “partial birth abortion” is a real medical procedure.
  #59  
Old 03-19-2020, 08:09 PM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 35,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
Nope, you're just a CCP stooge according to our Trump supporting posters.
You know, I was going to lash out. Was really, REALLY angry for even the implication that I support Trump in any way, shape or form. But it's just so fucking ridiculous that I ended up bursting out with laughter. This is the best you can do? Try and deflect to 'Trump supporting posters'? And you get a pass for this around here. That's pretty hilarious.

Sad too though. This place is just not the place I used to love to come to and post once upon a time...
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #60  
Old 03-19-2020, 08:12 PM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 35,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
The people who think “Wuhan virus” is a real name also think “partial birth abortion” is a real medical procedure.
No one with half a brain calls it that, but that really isn't the point. The real point is, idiots should be able to call it that if they want without calling it racism, and the only reason it IS being called racism is because it's the strategy of the CCP. And it's such a fucking obvious strategy to anyone paying any sort of attention that it makes me wonder...are people?
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #61  
Old 03-19-2020, 08:19 PM
Chingon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the hypersphere
Posts: 946
It's also obvious what the Trump administration and conservative media is doing by purposefully calling it a foreign virus and by crossing out Corona yo replace it with China.

You can't see the virtue signalling coming from your side, and I get it it's hard.
  #62  
Old 03-19-2020, 08:33 PM
DPRK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Third, I never heard of Wuhan or Hubei before this, so I dispute that it's a fairly well known large city, at least as far as your average American goes.
It is statistically possible you do not personally know anybody from Wuhan (but do you know where everybody you run into is from?), yet, equally, maybe you happen to not know anybody from New York City either. (Of course NYC is in America and Wuhan isn't, but there is no shortage of immigrants and tourists.) Maybe it's not Shanghai but either way we are not talking about some uninhabited valley.

But what I wanted to say ISTM the "popular media" are talking about "coronavirus" (where have people seen "Wuhan virus" or "Chinese virus"??), and even many anti-Chinese racists are, though I wonder what the latter have to say about Italy.
  #63  
Old 03-19-2020, 08:34 PM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 35,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
It's also obvious what the Trump administration and conservative media is doing by purposefully calling it a foreign virus and by crossing out Corona yo replace it with China.

You can't see the virtue signalling coming from your side, and I get it it's hard.
They aren't my side genius. I don't give a flying fuck why Trump is saying whatever stupid shit he's saying. My WAG is it has more to do with the CCP trying to say this came from the US (whether deliberately or not), but who the fuck knows why he says any of the shit he says. I doubt it's because he's a racist against the Chinese, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was either.
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #64  
Old 03-19-2020, 08:43 PM
Ravenman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 27,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
No one with half a brain calls it that, but that really isn't the point.
I truly can’t tell if the word “it” in that sentence refers to “partial birth abortion” or “Wuhan virus.”
  #65  
Old 03-19-2020, 09:25 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triskadecamus View Post
Popular news media call it the Wuhan Virus. Science calls it SARS-CoV-2. The WHO and CDC refer to the disease caused by it as Covid-19.
Which popular media? I can't find it.
  #66  
Old 03-19-2020, 09:28 PM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPRK View Post
It is statistically possible you do not personally know anybody from Wuhan (but do you know where everybody you run into is from?), yet, equally, maybe you happen to not know anybody from New York City either. (Of course NYC is in America and Wuhan isn't, but there is no shortage of immigrants and tourists.) Maybe it's not Shanghai but either way we are not talking about some uninhabited valley.

But what I wanted to say ISTM the "popular media" are talking about "coronavirus" (where have people seen "Wuhan virus" or "Chinese virus"??), and even many anti-Chinese racists are, though I wonder what the latter have to say about Italy.
I can't tell what the point of your first paragraph is. I may know people from Wuhan and not know it, since I ln some Chinese immigrants. But, I had never heard of the city before this. I know people from NYC since I'm from there and work there.

I agree with your second paragraph - I had never heard it called that until this thread.
  #67  
Old 03-19-2020, 09:46 PM
Sam Stone is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 28,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Which popular media? I can't find it.
Your google skills are lacking. I searched for 'examples of media saying 'wuhan virus', and this was the FIRST hit in my results:

Examples of media saying 'Wuhan Virus', 'Chinese Coronavirus', or 'Wuhan Coronavirus'

I stopped counting at 20.
  #68  
Old 03-19-2020, 10:14 PM
orcenio is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,394
Misleading Trump propaganda video; all clipped out of context badly hiding that most were news reports about outbreaks of coronavirus IN Wuhan or China. Such trash.

Last edited by orcenio; 03-19-2020 at 10:18 PM.
  #69  
Old 03-19-2020, 11:59 PM
RioRico is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: beyond cell service
Posts: 2,368
I've a bit of geographical knowledge but I hadn't heard of Wuhan or Hubei before last Xmas, just as I'd not heard of the Ebola River before it gained prominence. I didn't blame Ebola on Zaire/Congo or Africans. Calling COVID "the Wuhan virus" triggers nothing in most. Calling it a Chinese or Asian virus (or stupidly, "flu") HAS triggered vicious behavior toward perceived Asians, whether or not they have any remote connection to Hubei province.

The orange terror and his Beijing playmates are trading blame, serving only to ramp-up the trade war, keep supply lines fragmented, and inhibit cooperation. How are America's interests bolstered? Who beside Putin gains?
  #70  
Old 03-19-2020, 11:59 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcenio View Post
Misleading Trump propaganda video; all clipped out of context badly hiding that most were news reports about outbreaks of coronavirus IN Wuhan or China. Such trash.
Indeed,

:sigh:

Sam Stone, what you got there was a Google Vomit, it does not show what you want, as orcenio noted, a lot of that was early and world organizations and most of the media moved on to most proper ways of mentioning the virus name.

Going back on mistaken or less accurate naming is precisely made now just because they "have to own the libs", but in reality is once again the bigoted blobiating of the current leadership that also wants to disparage what the experts are saying, it is also just par for the course of their usual anti-science, continuing to go for the remains of the past narrative, the naming thing is just about the only bone that they can toss to their followers who have experienced a monumental whiplash thanks to what the dear leader was saying before from his position of authority.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/18/211854...-chinese-virus
  #71  
Old 03-20-2020, 12:06 AM
Magiver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Dayton Ohio USA
Posts: 29,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
It's also obvious what the Trump administration and conservative media is doing by purposefully calling it a foreign virus and by crossing out Corona yo replace it with China.

You can't see the virtue signalling coming from your side, and I get it it's hard.
the Chinese government screwed the entire planet with their secrecy and then blamed the US military.

China owns this. Any attempt to deflect blame goes back on it's leadership.
  #72  
Old 03-20-2020, 12:12 AM
China Guy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 11,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
Did the virus originate here? Did Trump quash and expel the press? Does the US have a history of killing millions of its own citizens? Just keep your Trump mantra going. There is no equivalency between Trump and the CCP.
What was the death rate of native Americans?

While a white American, I lived in China from the mid 1980's for close to 20 years. You have no idea what you're talking about comrade.
  #73  
Old 03-20-2020, 12:16 AM
Great Antibob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,584
This is pretty simple.

South Korea reported its first case the same day the US did. Let's repeat that for effect. South Korea reported its first case the SAME DAY the US did. Their response, no matter who to blame or what you call the virus, was vastly different from our own.

And now that we are belatedly trying to make a competent response after literal weeks of denial and limited or no action, our leadership decides to change how it refers to the disease and claiming it has always considered this a pandemic. This is clearly gaslighting.

You want to blame China for the initial outbreak? Whatever. But how we responded, or rather how we didn't respond, once it did cross our borders is totally on us.
  #74  
Old 03-20-2020, 12:20 AM
China Guy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 11,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
the Chinese government screwed the entire planet with their secrecy and then blamed the US military.

China owns this. Any attempt to deflect blame goes back on it's leadership.
Show me where Chairman Xi Jinping blamed the US on Covid 19? If some dork in the Trump admin or Republican congress critter or even beloved leader Trump shoots their mouth off, it's just free speech. Some douche in China talks smack, and it's official Chinese national conspiracy.

Turn about is fair play, I can show you where Trump called it the Chinese Virus.

(Mao on a pogo stick, I never thought I'd have to explain this. Ain't no love lost between me and the CCP, but eyes wide open.)
  #75  
Old 03-20-2020, 12:41 AM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
the Chinese government screwed the entire planet with their secrecy and then blamed the US military.

China owns this. Any attempt to deflect blame goes back on it's leadership.
It is very underwhelming to not realize that most authoritarian governments are usually good at screwing up.

So, it is not just Trump. Still, it is not a good reason to fall for the idea that then what is happening in America is then allowed to get a pass, it is appalling that leadership in smaller nations like Taiwan are doing it better than the "I'm not responsible" guy.

https://slate.com/technology/2020/03...us-spread.html

Last edited by GIGObuster; 03-20-2020 at 12:42 AM.
  #76  
Old 03-20-2020, 06:38 AM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcenio View Post
Misleading Trump propaganda video; all clipped out of context badly hiding that most were news reports about outbreaks of coronavirus IN Wuhan or China. Such trash.
Agreed there. What a bullshit cite that was.

Wuhan coronavirus is a coronavirus that originated from Wuhan. Wuhan virus is like Lyme disease, named after the place it was first discovered or originated from.
  #77  
Old 03-20-2020, 06:49 AM
Smapti is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Wuhan coronavirus is a coronavirus that originated from Wuhan. Wuhan virus is like Lyme disease, named after the place it was first discovered or originated from.
No, that virus is called SARS CoV-2. WHO policy since 2015 is not to name viruses after places.

Last edited by Smapti; 03-20-2020 at 06:50 AM.
  #78  
Old 03-20-2020, 07:00 AM
HMS Irruncible is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,076
Second Republican senator Kelly Loeffler (R, GA) makes millions by dumping stocks and buying up teleconferencing securities after a secure briefing on the COVID-19 thread link.

Republicans were informed of the threat and chose to profit from it. That's why they really, really want to refocus your attention on the name of the virus instead of the Republican's disaster response strategy of mind-blowing graft and incompetence.
  #79  
Old 03-20-2020, 08:04 AM
Ale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 5,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
OK, I literally can't find anyone calling it "Wuhan virus" except for some site that said that Secretary of State Pompeo called it that. It was always coronavirus to me, not because I'm politically correct, but because that's all it was ever called on any site or news source I look at.

Can someone point to any mainstream site calling it that? I feel like this whole thread is started on false pretenses.

BTW, that Trump thing, overwriting coronavirus and changing it to China virus? I know it's like number one billion in all the awful things he's done, but it really bothers me. What a divisive asshole that guy is.
CNN: "China's massive security state is being used to crack down on the Wuhan virus"
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/10/a...hnk/index.html

Foreign Policy (owned by Washington Post) :
"The Wuhan Virus Could Hurt the Party’s Legitimacy"
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/31...ty-legitimacy/

Global Times, a media arm of the Chinese government: "Chinese netizens fear Japan would repeat Wuhan virus mistake at early stage"
https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1179921.shtml

Quartz: "China's Wuhan virus unfolds in new age of WeChat"
https://qz.com/1790719/china-coronav...f-information/

And so on and so forth.

In Taiwan the name commonly used is Wuhan Pneumonia: "The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday said that it would use the name “Wuhan pneumonia” when communicating with the public"
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/fron.../13/2003730887

I guess the ethnically Chinese people of Taiwan suffer from internalized racism...

The Chinese propaganda machine knew well that they only had to drop the R bomb to deflect criticism away from them, and it worked.
  #80  
Old 03-20-2020, 08:13 AM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,838
Thanks!

I disagree that it's China's doing that it's called coronavirus or COVID-19, since I've been hearing those terms almost from the start. However, I appreciate that someone finally posted some cites (from February, but thanks!).
  #81  
Old 03-20-2020, 08:16 AM
HMS Irruncible is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
I guess the ethnically Chinese people of Taiwan suffer from internalized racism...
You uh... do realize that Taiwan and China are political rivals and have reason to lob barbs at each other, right?

At any rate, all these informal names were bouncing around before a formal name was chosen. Now that there's a formal name, there's no reason to go back to the original raw reporting except to poke China in the eye.

Quote:
The Chinese propaganda machine knew well that they only had to drop the R bomb to deflect criticism away from them, and it worked.
Wow, you are *this* close to getting it. But I'm not holding my breath.
  #82  
Old 03-20-2020, 08:18 AM
Ale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 5,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcenio View Post
Misleading Trump propaganda video; all clipped out of context badly hiding that most were news reports about outbreaks of coronavirus IN Wuhan or China. Such trash.
Right, people shouldn't believe their own lying eyes and ears.

By the way I note that "most" is not the same as "all", so which ones that don't fall in the "most" subgroup constitude bona fide examples?
  #83  
Old 03-20-2020, 08:23 AM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 87,266
The WHO changed its naming standards five years ago. At that time, China had no particular reason to be behind the change in naming standards, as the most recent pandemic at that time had originated in North America.

And it's not about eating "exotic animals". Sure, this time it was from bats. But the last two times before that, it was pigs and chickens.
  #84  
Old 03-20-2020, 09:04 AM
orcenio is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
Right, people shouldn't believe their own lying eyes and ears.

By the way I note that "most" is not the same as "all", so which ones that don't fall in the "most" subgroup constitude bona fide examples?
Now, I'm apart of the China conspiracy for pointing the manipulative lies in that video? Congrats, you cracked the code. I'm sure as hell not going to waste a minute of my social distancing time sourcing any of the quotes in that weaselly clipped video.

Just go ahead, swallow Trump's "not coronavirus, Chinavirus" propaganda. Give him all the leeway in the world. There's not one bar that can't be lowed for his administration. Godforbid that he be held to a standard of competence or responsibility during a crisis. Oh, and something something China.
  #85  
Old 03-20-2020, 09:35 AM
orcenio is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,394
Oh and your own citations seem to have the exact same weaselly misleading problem I pointed out for the clipped video.
Quote:
As Chinese authorities struggle to contain the deadly Wuhan coronavirus,
Quote:
A month into the coronavirus epidemic that has swept across China, the details of the Chinese government’s political and administrative response remain highly ambiguous.
Quote:
Monday morning on Chinese social media platforms, which stoked worries among Chinese netizens that a neighboring country with such a lack of epidemic control and quarantine awareness could potentially repeat a similar mistake Wuhan made in the early stages of COVID-19 outbreak.
Quote:
This is the backdrop against which China’s coronavirus outbreak, which has sickened some 2,000 people (link in Chinese) and killed nearly 60, is unfolding in 2020
All seem to be referencing the outbreak IN China, while Trump's usage seem to solely be based on an exercise of obfuscation and political distraction.

Last edited by orcenio; 03-20-2020 at 09:35 AM.
  #86  
Old 03-20-2020, 09:44 AM
Folacin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North of the River
Posts: 3,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcenio View Post
Just go ahead, swallow Trump's "not coronavirus, Chinavirus" propaganda. Give him all the leeway in the world. There's not one bar that can't be lowed for his administration. Godforbid that he be held to a standard of competence or responsibility during a crisis. Oh, and something something China.
And what do we call the next virus that comes out of China? Being the most populated country and (once this pandemic calms down) ships stuff all over the world, I would think that the odds are pretty good that there will be more.
  #87  
Old 03-20-2020, 10:04 AM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 35,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
Show me where Chairman Xi Jinping blamed the US on Covid 19? If some dork in the Trump admin or Republican congress critter or even beloved leader Trump shoots their mouth off, it's just free speech. Some douche in China talks smack, and it's official Chinese national conspiracy.

Turn about is fair play, I can show you where Trump called it the Chinese Virus.

(Mao on a pogo stick, I never thought I'd have to explain this. Ain't no love lost between me and the CCP, but eyes wide open.)
Well yeah, because the CCP is just like the Trump administration wrt having a bunch of loose cannons over at state run media, their diplomatic corps, CCP officials in charge of their medical branches, etc just saying stuff without Xi having any knowledge of, and in fact that he totally disagrees with!

Yup, it totally works that way...people contradict Xi all the time officially. What can a Presitator for Life do, amiright?

You know better than this. If ANY person in official positions in China is saying something, Xi is well aware of it. Does he actually believe that the US was responsible? No, I'm sure he doesn't. But then, the point of these assertions coming from several different people and various means isn't about the truth...it's about changing the narrative. And Xi has either approved this formally or at least has given tacit approval, because if he hadn't those people would have been shut down. Instantly. And probably put in the same quarantine that several Chinese journalists and bloggers have been put in when they were trying to report things as they actually are in China, instead of the picture the CCP is trying to paint.
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #88  
Old 03-20-2020, 10:20 AM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 35,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
I truly can’t tell if the word “it” in that sentence refers to “partial birth abortion” or “Wuhan virus.”
Yeah, I can see your confusion. After all, I've been such a constant and vocal pro-life posters () and your digression is so relevant to the question BEING ASKED IN THE OP THAT I'M ACTUALLY RESPONDING TOO. Totally understandable why you would be confused...
__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #89  
Old 03-20-2020, 10:22 AM
SanVito is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 4,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post

Everyone including the major media outlets, was calling it the 'Wuhan Virus' just a couple of weeks ago. Then the Chinese government started squawking, and suddenly calling a virus by its geographic origin is 'problematic', even though that's been the standard for well over 100 years..
Everyone? Because the only places I've heard Wuhan virus is out of Trump's mouth and on this board. But then I'm not in the US, where you seem to make up your own rules.

TBH, I have no great love for the Chinese Government, wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them, but the point is that naming a virus after a place causes racist attacks against innocent people of East Asian origin, in every country across the globe, including Asian-Americans. That's why it's a really shitty thing to do.
  #90  
Old 03-20-2020, 11:03 AM
eenerms is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Finally...Wisc...!
Posts: 3,077
I heard it when I was in the U.K. and Italy last week. It’s not a race thing it’s where it came from. Of course Trump is a flaming racist right? Jeez
  #91  
Old 03-20-2020, 11:26 AM
Larry Borgia's Avatar
Larry Borgia is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 10,958
Trump is an incompetent corrupt president and an awful human being, but man, is his troll game is on point.

All he does is say "Chinese virus" or "Wuhan virus."

Trump supporters: That's not racist! It came from China! Is Spanish flu racist!?

Anti-Trumpers: We had a name for the virus! Changing it is a racist dog-whistle! Asian Americans are already being attacked!

Both: Rabble! Rabble Rabble! Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble!

And just like that everyone is distracted from Trump's bungling and denial when the virus came, and how he cut funding for the CDC and shut down the pandemic response team years ago.
  #92  
Old 03-20-2020, 11:29 AM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
Trump is an incompetent corrupt president and an awful human being, but man, is his troll game is on point.

All he does is say "Chinese virus" or "Wuhan virus."

Trump supporters: That's not racist! It came from China! Is Spanish flu racist!?

Anti-Trumpers: We had a name for the virus! Changing it is a racist dog-whistle! Asian Americans are already being attacked!

Both: Rabble! Rabble Rabble! Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble!

And just like that everyone is distracted from Trump's bungling and denial when the virus came, and how he cut funding for the CDC and shut down the pandemic response team years ago.
I pointed at that too, but most of the ones from the right would prefer that it remains in the Rabble, Rabble stage.
  #93  
Old 03-20-2020, 11:30 AM
DPRK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4,730
Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, I also recall "novel coronavirus". I suppose by now the novelty has worn off. (And I absolutely did hear early whispers to the effect of "fuck the Chinese, they're getting what they deserve.") BTW I have not heard random people refer to it as SARS [virus] or SARS 2. It's pretty obvious what "coronavirus" people are talking about right now, but it remains to see how people commonly refer to it after a couple of years, since different coronavire are also responsible for SARS 1, MERS, variants of the common cold, and so on.
  #94  
Old 03-20-2020, 11:31 AM
Ale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 5,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
You uh... do realize that Taiwan and China are political rivals and have reason to lob barbs at each other, right?

At any rate, all these informal names were bouncing around before a formal name was chosen. Now that there's a formal name, there's no reason to go back to the original raw reporting except to poke China in the eye.


Wow, you are *this* close to getting it. But I'm not holding my breath.
So it's OK if there's a rivalry between the countries, as opposed to the chummy relationship between the US and China, right.

There is a very good reason for Trump to poke China in the eye, it's because China has started to flex it's propaganda muscles to pass the blame of the pandemic to the US.

Official Communist Party publication Xinhua has published several articles questioning COVID-19’s provenance, and the state-run Global Times wrote, “As the U.S. COVID-19 situation becomes increasingly obscure, the Chinese public shares the suspicion raised by Zhao Lijian that the U.S. might be the source of the virus and that the U.S. is subject [to] questioning and is obliged to explain [its role to] the world.”

You don't have a problem with China doing that?

I, for one, think calling out an oppressive totalitarian regime attempting to rewrite history in their favour by pointing out that this virus currently causing enormous damage around the world did, in fact, originate in China, is a good thing.

It's not as if it's the only time China pulls the race card to browbeat other countries over actions they disapprove, like calling the Australian ban for people coming from China (which is not the same as banning Chinese people from Australia) as "The border closure was enforced using the excuse of necessary epidemic quarantine, with no evidence-based justification at all. The ulterior motive is to further stoke the infamous China threat theory so as to form an international united front to isolate China." and "It is alarming that such malevolent approaches and practices have already provoked a new resurgence of racism.".
  #95  
Old 03-20-2020, 11:44 AM
XT's Avatar
XT is offline
Agnatheist
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Great South West
Posts: 35,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
Trump is an incompetent corrupt president and an awful human being, but man, is his troll game is on point.

All he does is say "Chinese virus" or "Wuhan virus."

Trump supporters: That's not racist! It came from China! Is Spanish flu racist!?

Anti-Trumpers: We had a name for the virus! Changing it is a racist dog-whistle! Asian Americans are already being attacked!

Both: Rabble! Rabble Rabble! Rabble Rabble Rabble Rabble!

And just like that everyone is distracted from Trump's bungling and denial when the virus came, and how he cut funding for the CDC and shut down the pandemic response team years ago.
Calling it 'Wuhan virus' is not racist...it's ignorance. The official name for the virus is COVID-19. Calling it the coronavirus is also ignorance, since that is a whole family of viruses. You could call it the novel coronavirus, and you'd just be out of date. Calling it the 'Chinese virus' is probably just a slam, but I could see that being labeled racist.

The real issue though is that it's being called racist because the CCP is saying it is, and has manipulated people into thinking in those terms. They have been extremely successful in changing the narrative and shifting the message, from a complete CCP cluster fuck to the CCP saving the world and showing how mean people are being. And, frankly, you people are falling for it and have shifted things from even thinking about WHY this is even an issue to it being all about Trump and dog whistles and partisan politics as usual. Anyone who is pointing this out is OBVIOUSLY a Trump supporter and dog whistler or whatever because you've been told that's so. If they aren't, well, they are just racists.

Way to really be critical thinkers, Straight Dope! Way to really dig into this and try and look at what's happening! Way to be skeptical! You guys are really on top of all of this and really fighting ignorance! No way is this just the same old stupid fucking political partisan crap and slams!

__________________
-XT

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
  #96  
Old 03-20-2020, 11:48 AM
Grey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 6,869
Yes nothing breeds trust like name calling over a fucking virus. It has a designation - fucking well call it by its name. Then you can bray and stamp about what didn't happen when by whatever organization you'd like. For right now drop it and fixate on flattening the curve.
__________________
"When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it." : Bernard Bailey
  #97  
Old 03-20-2020, 11:48 AM
RitterSport's Avatar
RitterSport is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by eenerms View Post
I heard it when I was in the U.K. and Italy last week. It’s not a race thing it’s where it came from. Of course Trump is a flaming racist right? Jeez
What would you call it when he crosses out the neutral "coronavirus" and replaces it with China virus? Is it trolling, racism, or lying? What is your preferred term for the current president of the United States -- troll, racist, or liar? Hey, maybe he's all of them!
  #98  
Old 03-20-2020, 11:53 AM
Larry Borgia's Avatar
Larry Borgia is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 10,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
Calling it 'Wuhan virus' is not racist...it's ignorance. The official name for the virus is COVID-19. Calling it the coronavirus is also ignorance, since that is a whole family of viruses. You could call it the novel coronavirus, and you'd just be out of date. Calling it the 'Chinese virus' is probably just a slam, but I could see that being labeled racist.

The real issue though is that it's being called racist because the CCP is saying it is, and has manipulated people into thinking in those terms. They have been extremely successful in changing the narrative and shifting the message, from a complete CCP cluster fuck to the CCP saving the world and showing how mean people are being. And, frankly, you people are falling for it and have shifted things from even thinking about WHY this is even an issue to it being all about Trump and dog whistles and partisan politics as usual. Anyone who is pointing this out is OBVIOUSLY a Trump supporter and dog whistler or whatever because you've been told that's so. If they aren't, well, they are just racists.

Way to really be critical thinkers, Straight Dope! Way to really dig into this and try and look at what's happening! Way to be skeptical! You guys are really on top of all of this and really fighting ignorance! No way is this just the same old stupid fucking political partisan crap and slams!

Did you mean to quote my post? What you wrote has nothing to do with my point.
  #99  
Old 03-20-2020, 11:57 AM
DPRK is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT View Post
Calling it 'Wuhan virus' is not racist...it's ignorance. The official name for the virus is COVID-19.
Nah- according to the official website
Quote:
UPDATE:The virus causing the current outbreak of coronavirus disease has been named "severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2" (SARS-CoV-2). The manuscript describing the name also reports the work of the ICTV Coronaviridae Study Group that determined the virus belongs to the existing species, Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus.

Last edited by DPRK; 03-20-2020 at 11:59 AM.
  #100  
Old 03-20-2020, 12:09 PM
RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 42,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
How does it help to blame a buffoon like Trump more than Xi and the CCP when it was policy for the Chinese government to hide and deny the truth? Maybe calling it the CCP virus would assign blame where it rightly belongs without tarring an entire nation?
Most people wouldn't know what "CCP" stands for.

Everyone was fine calling it "Coronavirus," or COVID-19 for the disease. Those names worked perfectly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT
The official name for the virus is COVID-19.
No it's not. COVID-19 is the disease it causes. The virus is properly called SARS-CoV-2, which is a type of coronavirus, along with its famous cousins, MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV, and a large number of less dangerous and less well known viruses.

The make an analogy, you doubtless know that HIV is a virus, and the disease it causes is called AIDS.

"Coronavirus" is like "retrovirus."
"SARS-CoV-2" is like "HIV."
"COVID-19" is like "AIDS."

(There are actually two HIVs, HIV-1 and HIV-2. HIV-2 is less virulent and less common but can have the same effect.)
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!

Last edited by RickJay; 03-20-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017