Old 03-19-2020, 11:22 AM

Increasingly likely that the Tokyo Olympics will be postponed to 2021

This NY Times article lays out the reasons behind "Tokyo 2021": The coronavirus crisis will simply make it too difficult to go ahead with Tokyo 2020 as planned, numerous other sporting events are already canceled or postponed elsewhere in the world, to have the Olympics proceed this year as planned but with empty spectator venues would be a farce, and cancellation of the Olympics outright would be a devastating blow to Japan, which has invested an immense sum of money and effort into hosting the Games.

Tokyo 2021 it be.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:02 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I want to take my kid to Japan and we delayed it to 2021... to avoid the Olympics. Oh well!
Old 03-19-2020, 01:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I just read this from yesterday. It sure makes it sound like the IOC is planning on going ahead in July, and I was wondering, what happens if they had the Olympics and nobody showed up, tourists or athletes?

Plus, this answers a question I had about who would show the most wanton greed in the face of the current pandemic. IOC was on my short list....
Old 03-19-2020, 01:32 PM

So much money, political capital (including probably a few local bits of legislation) and effort goes into each Olympics I can understand them not wanting to cancel/postpone until it's absolutely impossible to do anything else. But I think it must be close to that time now.

If nothing else the athletes can't train.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:35 PM

So much money, political capital (including probably a few local bits of legislation) and effort goes into each Olympics I can understand them not wanting to cancel/postpone until it's absolutely impossible to do anything else. But I think it must be close to that time now.

If nothing else the athletes can't train.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
I just read this from yesterday. It sure makes it sound like the IOC is planning on going ahead in July, and I was wondering, what happens if they had the Olympics and nobody showed up, tourists or athletes?
An empty Olympics would be worse than postponement.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:32 PM

We're already at a point where qualifiers are being cancelled, training is disrupted, etc.

I presume that, like many other big events, it's a game of chicken as who who actually says the word "cancel" first as various contracts may play out differently if the government says "you can't have it" vs the IOC saying "we're not going to do it"
Old 03-19-2020, 03:08 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Someone will. In terms of tourists, someone will always come. Maybe not enough to fill arenas but that's actually common at Olympics. Anyway, it's four months away. If coronavirus is such a risk in four months that people cannot attend a sporting event without dying, we have bigger problems.

In terms of athletes, it's a game theory thing. The more top athletes that do not come, the greater the potential reward for those that do. Someone will come compete.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:27 PM

Read earlier they need to pull the plug by May. That makes sense to me. If they go on they could sell cheap tickets just to locals or in some cases just have free tickets. And they would give partial refunds for tickets already bought.

I think it was Atlanta 2 local guys went to field hockey but they thought it was another name for lacrosse. Reminds me of 2 little old ladies going to the county fair instead of Knoxville world's fair and they were looking for China pavilion at the county fair
Old 03-19-2020, 05:32 PM
Charter Jays Fan

May seems about right. I can see them waiting this out 4-8 weeks, a priod of time in which it is quite plausible the pandemic will die down.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:36 PM

It should be noted too that if Tokyo indeed is postponed to 2021, then we might see a gap of only 5-7 months between the Summer and Winter Olympics (Beijing 2022). Odd.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:46 PM

USA archery pushed back their trials to June. Not a lot of fans at those events so if fans are banned it won't matter much. In case you are wondering, they shoot at 70 meters. Used to be 90 but they found that 70 is much better for TV.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:01 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
It should be noted too that if Tokyo indeed is postponed to 2021, then we might see a gap of only 5-7 months between the Summer and Winter Olympics (Beijing 2022). Odd.
Which is, in fact, how it was until not all that long ago. Through 1992, the Winter Games and Summer Games were held in the same calendar year (typically, the Winter Games at the beginning of the year, and the Summer Games a few months later).

From that point forward, the IOC offset the Winter Games by two years, compared to the Summer Games. Due to that, there were Winter Games in both 1992 (Albertville, France) and 1994 (Lillehammer, Norway).

Last edited by kenobi 65; 03-19-2020 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:39 PM

There’s already been empty arena games held so from that standpoint it is not the end of the world. I would imagine the opening and closing ceremonies would be scaled way down.

But yeah the problem is many countries trials are being delayed and if it’s still not safe many countries will just refuse to send their athletes and a repeat of the 1980 Olympics would not be a good look.

Another issue is that all this social distancing will hopefully flatten the pandemic curve which would save lives but extend the pandemic well over the summer. I see no reason why they can’t just postpone the games until September; by then not only should be on the downside of the epidemic but I’m sure there will be medicines available to treat this.

If not just go to 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2020, 08:50 AM

both USA track and swimming have asked for a delay to 2021
Old 03-21-2020, 09:57 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by russian heel View Post
Thereís already been empty arena games held so from that standpoint it is not the end of the world. I would imagine the opening and closing ceremonies would be scaled way down.
If they can't sell tickets it'll be a financial bloodbath. Tokyo will lose a ton of money anyway - Olympic hosts pretty much always do - but this would be a lot of money they didn't expect to lose.

If it's between a delay and playing to empty stadia, they'll delay it.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:47 PM

like most games they have sold a lot of tickets already. they could try and say no refunds but I doubt that will be accepted.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
like most games they have sold a lot of tickets already. they could try and say no refunds but I doubt that will be accepted.
Well, there was this:

Ticket refunds unlikely if Games canceled due to coronavirus

followed a day later by this:

Tokyo Olympics organisers play down reports of no refunds on tickets amid coronavirus cancellation fears

I suspect the truth will be somewhere in the middle. Credits/trades if delayed, refunds if cancelled altogether. Hopefully, the organizers were smart enough to insure themselves, but I have no idea how that process would work under Japanese law - if the ticket conditions give the organizers an out and they don't accept it, is the insurer still liable? There's also the possibility that the Japanese government would step in with a bailout.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:31 PM

One thing that I've heard is that they planned on turning the athlete's village accommodations into condos after the games, and they've already been sold. So if the games get delayed by six months or a year or whatever, what happens there?
Old 03-22-2020, 01:40 AM

Quote:
If the Games get postponed, and someone with tickets can't attend on the new date, I could see how they wouldn't want to give a refund. But if the Games are actually cancelled, I think ticket holders are entitled to a refund for an event that never takes place.

How much do ticket sales account for in terms of financing of the Olympics? I figured the real money was in selling the right to telecast in various countries, and in the corporate sponsorship. I know that that tickets sounds expensive to us (especially for the few marquee events like the opening ceremonies), but it's a drop in the bucket compared to what it costs to build an 80,000 seat stadium that's going to be used for two weeks.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

I have no idea what’s going to happen, but I wish the media would realize that moving an Olympiad isn’t just as easy as moving a wedding. These things take years to plan. If the hotel industry gets walloped in Japan badly, those hotel rooms may not be there in 2021 to rent out. Even if the buildings still exist under new management, Tokyo prices aren’t cheap and a massive recession may deter travel. The infrastructure that was built is a sunk cost but Tokyo may not want to undergo the massive cost of actually staging the games in the middle of a global depression.

Last edited by dalej42; 03-22-2020 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
One thing that I've heard is that they planned on turning the athlete's village accommodations into condos after the games, and they've already been sold. So if the games get delayed by six months or a year or whatever, what happens there?
contracts might have an out for the sale if the games are delayed. I would be surprised if they did not have that in the sales contracts
Old 03-22-2020, 04:02 PM

IOC wants decision in 4 weeks. https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...games-decision
Old 03-22-2020, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Canada has pulled out its athletes.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:48 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Canada has pulled out its athletes.
Yeah, Tokyo 2021 or bust at this point for Canada. I imagine others will follow suit.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

I would imagine most people who bought tickets charged them on a charge card. Who uses checks any more. Many charge card agreements do not permit a charge to mbe made before the merchandise is shipped. So if tickets have not been mailed you might (at least US citizens) be able to cancel the transaction.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:27 PM

Imagine if the games go on without Canada's involvement if somehow the coronavirus goes away within the month.

They'd have to start their own Olympic games then like the American 1980 Liberty Bell Classic and the Soviet 1984 Friendship Games.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
I would imagine most people who bought tickets charged them on a charge card. Who uses checks any more. Many charge card agreements do not permit a charge to mbe made before the merchandise is shipped. So if tickets have not been mailed you might (at least US citizens) be able to cancel the transaction.
Lots of holes that are probably better in GQ, tickets are usually a separate item in the credit card agreement. Plus, itís a foreign transaction which will have different rules.

I assume this is an opening shot by a relatively minor summer Olympic country to tell the IOC that yes, itís a major PITA to postpone for a year, but getting started tomorrow is easier than waiting another month.

I can also see FIFA using this to get out of the disastrous Qatar World Cup, the bribes have been paid, checks cashed, and no one wants a winter cup in a hell like Qatar
Old 03-23-2020, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

They are at least considering it:
https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/n...tential-delay/

Brian
Old 03-23-2020, 07:03 AM

It will get postponed, barring a miraculous turnaround in the virus. I'm convinced there will be no baseball season and I'm real doubtful about football. 2020 will go down as the year without sports.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:09 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I just heard that Australia has told its athletes to assume a 2021 Olympiad.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:24 PM

If colleges stay closed for in person classes in the fall then they can't have college sports. But I would not want to be in Alabama when they announced no FB. They did skip a season for WW 2 but only 1943.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:07 PM

IOC member says the games will be next year

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...1-ioc-responds
Old 03-23-2020, 03:57 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Once whole countries said they wouldn't go in 2020, that's all she wrote.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:00 PM

Yep, looks to be official now.

https://sydneynews.sydney/sydney-new...ag8dPCafjYNlV8
Old 03-24-2020, 08:03 AM

It's official.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

It's a little late but the only choice.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:43 PM

This is obviously the biggest story in the sports world at the moment, but ESPN.com's top headline is Mel Kiper's mock NFL draft. The Olympics postponement is only briefly mentioned in very small type further down the page.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:14 AM

they only sold 25% of the condos that were built for athletes for the games.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...ympic-decision
Old 03-25-2020, 11:25 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
they only sold 25% of the condos that were built for athletes for the games.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...ympic-decision
So much in that story - first the title "IOC president Thomas Bach invokes Trump in defense of Olympic decision"

And then there is this lovely quote
Quote:
"This postponed Olympic Games will need sacrifices," Bach said.
Presumably he means human sacrifices. Mesoamerican ballgame as a demo sport in 2028?
Old 03-25-2020, 01:38 PM

I'm guessing the Opening Ceremony is also going to be artistically revised a bit to make some sort of tribute to the world recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic.