Old 03-19-2020, 07:10 PM

Do you think the Old Yankee Stadium should have remained?

Let's get our minds off the Coronavirus health pandemic for a while.

The Old Yankee Stadium was closed in 2008 for the new corporate Yankee Stadium.

Do you believe the original House That Ruth Built should have remained, just a little upgrade, or do you think it was time for a new stadium?
Old 03-19-2020, 07:33 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Bear in mind that the "old" Yankee Stadium was largely no longer the original House That Ruth Built after 1973, anyway.

The Yankees closed the original stadium in 1974 for a two-year renovation project (the Yankees played at Shea for the '74 and '75 seasons). While the outer shell of the original stadium remained after the renovation, the interior and the field itself were extensively redesigned and rebuilt.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

I think the success of Wrigley and Fenway after extensive incremental improvement and modernization makes a compelling case in favor of that. I suspect that in time it will become glaringly obvious that the Yankees had all the wrong priorities when they built a new park and that the changing baseball landscape will render it's features obsolete.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
I think the success of Wrigley and Fenway after extensive incremental improvement and modernization makes a compelling case in favor of that.
Hey, I love Fenway and see many games there each year. But it's a pit, and I could see getting a new stadium in Boston. There's just so much modernization you can to a place like that.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:09 AM

There are some good seats at Fenway Park, and some amazing seats, but there are many, many more bad ones. There are far too many where it's basically impossible to see the game from your seat. People can't give away some of tickets. Any grandstand seat behind the first couple of rows? No thanks. Bleachers? No way. Right Field Box seats? Fuck off. The concourse is a nightmare to navigate. I've seen people wait in lines so long that they miss multiple innings (promise the kid ice cream at the ballpark and you've fucked yourself).

They've sunk a bunch of money into improving and expanding the park but it has all gone to the expensive seats. The cheaper seats (most of which aren't at all cheap) are small, uncomfortable, and often have obstructed views. They're not even honest about which seats have obstructed views. The seat has to literally be behind a post to be labeled obstructed. The seats next to those ones aren't obstructed although they are nearly as bad and much of the field is obstructed by the same post.

Build a new one. It can have the monster and the same dimensions but fix the seating. Keep Fenway Park as a museum if you want to. People would pay a lot more to be able to walk on the field during the tours, which you can't do now (except for VIP tours, which cost too much for most people).
Old 03-20-2020, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

I've attended ten or so Yankees games a year every year (but one) since 1997.

While there are some things I would have done differently in the new Stadium, there are many ways that it is better than the old. In the old stadium the bleachers (which were a dump) weren't connected the rest of the park - in NYS you can walk all around the stadium. The concourse on the top level (where I usually sit) is much wider and better laid out.

If only they'd get rid of Jersey Mike's as the cheesesteak vendor. The previous one (replaced three of four years ago) was so much better.

Yes, everything is more expensive, but that's progress.

Note that I'm not considering the question of whether the team should have gotten so much public money for the stadium, just how the experience is as a ticket holder.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I think the success of Wrigley and Fenway after extensive incremental improvement and modernization makes a compelling case in favor of that. I suspect that in time it will become glaringly obvious that the Yankees had all the wrong priorities when they built a new park and that the changing baseball landscape will render it's features obsolete.
Which features?
Old 03-20-2020, 01:26 PM

Old Yankee Stadium was something of a dump; narrow hallways, short ceilings, really steep bleachers. Easily the least comfortable and convenient stadium I've ever seen a baseball or football game in.

Outside of the history in the place, there wasn't much to recommend it.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Isn’t the difference between Wrigley/Fenway and Yankee Stadium the location?

I live in Wrigleyville and I’m well aware that the neighborhood wasn’t as upscale as it is now, but it’s been a decent area of Chicago for many years. I believe the same for Fenway.

But wasn’t the Bronx an absolute shit hole for many years? Fires nearby burning during Yankees games?
Old 03-20-2020, 09:43 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees 1996 Champs View Post
Let's get our minds off the Coronavirus health pandemic for a while.

The Old Yankee Stadium was closed in 2008 for the new corporate Yankee Stadium.

Do you believe the original House That Ruth Built should have remained, just a little upgrade, or do you think it was time for a new stadium?
It was a great place from a history point of view but really was not a pleasant stadium at all by modern standards, and by all accounts was costing a fortune to keep in shape good enough to not have anyone hurt. There was no reason to keep it once they were committed to building one that retained the nice parts of the old.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:42 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

The current Yankee Stadium is a much better place to watch a game. There isnít much of an argument against that.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Gusterson View Post
There are some good seats at Fenway Park, and some amazing seats, but there are many, many more bad ones. There are far too many where it's basically impossible to see the game from your seat. People can't give away some of tickets. Any grandstand seat behind the first couple of rows? No thanks. Bleachers? No way. Right Field Box seats? Fuck off.
I still have a residual crick in my neck from a Red Sox game years ago, when I tried to follow the action from a right field corner seat.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Hey, I love Fenway and see many games there each year. But it's a pit, and I could see getting a new stadium in Boston. There's just so much modernization you can to a place like that.
You're right about Fenway. There are some truly dismal seats there, seats which have no damn excuse to be terrible like anything down the line beyond the first base bag. But my point was more about revenue and appeal. Fenway is still selling out and it's become an absolute cash cow.

Wrigley is much the same in that it's a way for the Ricketts to absolutely print money and fortunately for the fans, Wrigley doesn't have terrible sight lines and generally feels comfortable and fan friendly compared to Fenway. It even holds up favorably to many newer parks like Comsikey, Miller, Busch and Coors.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Which features?
Luxury suites and premium seating mostly. Also to a lesser degree the indoor-like finishings throughout much of the concourses. The ultra-premium tickets never really sold that well and I see no reason to think that that market will get better in the future. Baseball is only going to get more nostalgic as fans age up, so the generally antiseptic vibe and lack of history in the new building will work against it when balanced against upkeep.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But my point was more about revenue and appeal. Fenway is still selling out and it's become an absolute cash cow.
It's still strong, to be sure, but they're not selling out every game anymore. I've been at games where the published attendance is north of 35,000 and there were less than 20,000 in the stands. After last season, selling off Mookie, and firing Cora amidst the cheating scandal, I think paid attendance will continue to slide.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
It's still strong, to be sure, but they're not selling out every game anymore. I've been at games where the published attendance is north of 35,000 and there were less than 20,000 in the stands. After last season, selling off Mookie, and firing Cora amidst the cheating scandal, I think paid attendance will continue to slide.
I've been getting calls and emails from the Red Sox season ticket department trying to get me to buy a season ticket package. I can't see why I would commit to buying tickets at face value when on many days I can get a ticket for as little as $9 (including fees) from Stubhub. You can buy the cheapest ticket and then sit in the good seats because there are always lots of empty seats, even when they announce that paid attendance is a sellout.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Old Yankee Stadium was something of a dump; narrow hallways, short ceilings, really steep bleachers.
Concrete bleachers which were poured by Thomas Edison's company and had started crumbling around 1990. Building an entirely new stadium likely was more cost-effective than repairing all that old concrete.

The only way the old stadium could have remained would have been as a museum.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 03-24-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:53 PM

Didn't the Yankees have to take a few weeks' worth of games on the road at one point because of a fallen piece of concrete?

The stadium needed major structural fixes. The replacement made sense.
"Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible. The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks."
-- Douglas Adams's Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective