Old 03-23-2020, 03:08 PM

Where is this April 1, 2020 reopening timeframe coming from?

Today I made some calls to cancel memberships that I can no longer use afford (gym, etc). 3 distinct places rolled straight to voicemail and stated that they were closed until April 1, 2020.

(Separate rant, but naturally billing isn't suspended, just access to the services).

Where are all the businesses getting this April 1 talking point from? I know Trump is, per usual, on Twitter spouting some word salad that might be interpreted as a 15 day window. But I'm not aware of any official publication hinting at any "reopening date", or what that date is, or, most critically, under what authority Trump believes he can compel private businesses or non-federal governments to force people to work in a pandemic situation.

Where's the April 1 date coming from? Is it April Fool's?
Old 03-23-2020, 03:11 PM

My DMV office says it will reopen April 2nd.

I think they went with that date because if they had gone with "We have no idea when we will ever reopen", people would lose their minds.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:14 PM

Because everything needs to be open again before my birthday, damnit, and it's high-time the nation at large realizes that.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovitlac View Post
Because everything needs to be open again before my birthday, damnit, and it's high-time the nation at large realizes that.
Too late for that for me, March 26.

The late March dates that many stores have given aren't worth the electrons they're printed on when there are shelter-in-place or stay-home orders until at least the first week of April, never mind any extensions.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:37 PM

When the government first started getting serious about the emergency the announcements of changes were for the next two weeks (with the understanding it would be lengthened if necessary). The idea was to reduce public fear by keeping it to two weeks rather than announcing indeterminate or long term restrictions/shutdowns. My guess is 04-01-20 is two (or four) weeks from one of those announcements.

Last edited by Dark Sponge; 03-23-2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:41 PM

I agree that it's bullshit. Around here the network of beer stores, which has long been equipped to take back empty beer bottles, was given the exclusive monopoly to take back empty wine and liquor bottles, refunding the deposits, and recycling them. They claim to have suspended the service "until March 31". I very much doubt that will happen. Definite dates about anything in the context of COVID-19 is more of a political gimmick.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

I think of it more as not being willing to plan any further ahead than that. That is, not promising to stay closed any longer than that based on today's information.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:42 PM

You might look at the announcements of your governor and mayor--there have been many announcements of two-three-four week coronavirus fighting policies from them.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:55 PM

From what I recall, the shit really hit the fan the weekend of Mar. 14-15 and it seemed that for a lot of jurisdictions mandatory shutdowns took effect on Tuesday, 3/17, I assume so businesses could use Monday 3/16 to tie up loose ends. April 1 would be the 2 week point (yes, technically 2 weeks+1 day) which seems to be the minimum duration for most shutdowns.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
You might look at the announcements of your governor and mayor--there have been many announcements of two-three-four week coronavirus fighting policies from them.
It's all over the place.

State & County: 10 days ago, issued school closure "until the end of the month"
State - today issued "shelter in place for more vulnerable groups"
County - today issued "shelter in place for everyone except for essential activities"

The local level directives are progressively dire, but the Business People (including Chief Business Person Donald Trump) are acting like business as usual is about to crank up again.

The sad thing is, the red-state governors will probably toe the line, putting millions more at risk. White-collar workers will keep humming along in safety, everyone else will put their lives on the line in an effort to juice Trump's political prospects by November. Maybe it won't happen but it's so incredibly sad to even be having this conversation.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I agree that it's bullshit. Around here the network of beer stores, which has long been equipped to take back empty beer bottles, was given the exclusive monopoly to take back empty wine and liquor bottles, refunding the deposits, and recycling them. They claim to have suspended the service "until March 31". I very much doubt that will happen. Definite dates about anything in the context of COVID-19 is more of a political gimmick.
"Given the exlusive monopoly to take back empty wine bottles"? It was my impression that it was more or less forced on them and they're perfectly happy to have a break from it.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sponge View Post
... My guess is 04-01-20 is two (or four) weeks from one of those announcements.
This is what I say, too.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
"Given the exlusive monopoly to take back empty wine bottles"? It was my impression that it was more or less forced on them and they're perfectly happy to have a break from it.
I agree. It was, in fact, forced on them, but they do have a monopoly as the only ones entitled to do it. It's a damn nuisance for them as the whole system was geared to taking back empty beer cases and cans, not random-sized loose wine and liquor bottles.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
The local level directives are progressively dire, but the Business People (including Chief Business Person Donald Trump) are acting like business as usual is about to crank up again.
It's not "business as usual", but many businesses have adopted "remote work" and other policies to try and maintain operations. Which is a good thing. Yes, it sucks that many people are temporarily out of work. But it would suck more if EVERYONE was out of work and there was no one to distribute food and supplies (including medical), maintain infrastructure like the Internet, deliver goods, and other stuff that society needs to, you know, not collapse.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
It's not "business as usual", but many businesses have adopted "remote work" and other policies to try and maintain operations. Which is a good thing. Yes, it sucks that many people are temporarily out of work. But it would suck more if EVERYONE was out of work and there was no one to distribute food and supplies (including medical), maintain infrastructure like the Internet, deliver goods, and other stuff that society needs to, you know, not collapse.
What you've described above is the status quo, which (IMO) is about the most appropriate thing we can do. Those things are already happening.

Trump wants to change the status quo, because it's "worse than the disease". And he wants to end it in a matter of weeks. He's unwisely made the stock market his only metric for success, and it's cratering. The stock market isn't entirely his fault, but he's staked his whole presidency on it.

That's how I understand his speech (though he keeps it deliberately vague in case there's a need to walkback). Did you understand it differently?

Last edited by HMS Irruncible; 03-24-2020 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Here in Ohio, the school closure order was "Until April 4, and then it's going to be extended to the end of the year".
Old 03-24-2020, 09:56 AM

Not sure if this is the best of the myriad threads in which to post this, but I caught this NYT oped by David Katz, in which he proposes more targeted "vertical" quarantines, after a set period of general quarantine. Says 2 weeks basically "reboots" the general population, after which we can consider protections aimed at the most vulnerable, and most likely transmissions.

Haven't studied it enough to ascertain whether he is a crank, but this sort of approach does make considerable sense to me. I admit that I might find it attractive because it jibes w/ my predisposition.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:22 AM

500 deaths in the country and big brother tactics being taken? I am starting to believe the conspiracy people.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:30 AM
A Rather Dubious Fellow Indeed

Quote:
Where's the April 1 date coming from? Is it April Fool's?
Pretty sure the statements should not be parsed "We will reopen April 1st," which seems to be how the OP takes them, but rather "We will definitely not be reopening before April 1st; that's what we know for certain right now." If/When local authorities extend the shutdown for those businesses, I betcha the outgoing voicemails will change.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmlabs View Post
Pretty sure the statements should not be parsed "We will reopen April 1st," which seems to be how the OP takes them, but rather "We will definitely not be reopening before April 1st; that's what we know for certain right now." If/When local authorities extend the shutdown for those businesses, I betcha the outgoing voicemails will change.
Well, here's what I have (paraphrased)
Quote:
We anticipate that the [school district] will continue digital
learning and teleworking through at least March 31st given the announcement from
Governor Shithead on March 16, 2020 and potentially through Spring Break (April 6-10,
2020).
Quote:
Effective immediately, our facilities are closed until April 1st. Members will be credited for that time.
Quote:
Effective immediately, our doors are closed until March 31st at the earliest

Quote:
After careful consideration, our facility has been closed until April 1st

And for what it's worth, Governor Shithead announced on 3/16 that all school districts would be closed.

So I guess in our state, it's clear that everyone is keying off Governor Shithead, but it's curious that Trump and Governnor Shithead and everyone else is working off the same 15-day timeline established around 3/16. I'm wondering where that came from.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmlabs View Post
Well, here's what I have (paraphrased)
Quote:
We anticipate that the [school district] will continue digital
learning and teleworking through at least March 31st given the announcement from
Governor Shithead on March 16, 2020 and potentially through Spring Break (April 6-10,
2020).
Quote:
Effective immediately, our facilities are closed until April 1st. Members will be credited for that time.
Quote:
Effective immediately, our doors are closed until March 31st at the earliest
Quote:
After careful consideration, our facility has been closed until April 1st
And for what it's worth, Governor Shithead announced on 3/16 that all school districts would be closed.

So I guess in our state, it's clear that everyone is keying off Governor Shithead, but it's curious that Trump and Governnor Shithead and everyone else is working off the same 15-day timeline established around 3/16. I'm wondering where that came from.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
... but it's curious that Trump and Governnor Shithead and everyone else is working off the same 15-day timeline established around 3/16. I'm wondering where that came from.
Probably from the same place as this weather map.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:14 AM

Aha, never mind, I found it.

The President's Coronavirus Guidelines for America: 15 days to control the spread

It seems like the 15 day number was supposed to be aspirational propaganda, but some people are taking it literally. My county and state seem to be laying ground to walk back from the 15-day expectation.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:24 AM
A Rather Dubious Fellow Indeed

Quote:
Right. There's also this, from 45*'s televised remarks of March 16th:

Quote:
Issued on: March 16, 2020

James S. Brady Press Briefing Room

3:21 P.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you very much. Thank you. So, Im glad to see that youre practicing social distancing. That looks very nice. Its very good.

I want to thank everybody for being here today. This morning I spoke with the leaders of the G7 G7 nations and they really had a good meeting. I think it was a very, very productive meeting. I also spoke with our nations governors.

This afternoon, were announcing new guidelines for every American to follow over the next 15 days as we combat the virus. Each and every one of us has a critical role to play in stopping the spread and transmission of the virus. We did this today, and this was done by a lot of very talented people, some of whom are standing with me. And thats available. And Dr. Birx will be speaking about that in just a few minutes.

Its important for the young and healthy people to understand that while they may experience milder symptoms, they can easily spread this virus, and they will spread it indeed, putting countless others in harms way. We especially worry about our senior citizens.

The White House Task Force meets every day and continually updates guidelines based on the fast-evolving situation that this has become all over the world. Its all over the world. Its incredible whats happened in such a short period of time.

On the guidelines of the task force, the new modeling conducted by Dr. Birx, and our consultation with governors, weve made the decision to further toughen the guidelines and blunt the infection now. Wed much rather be ahead of the curve than behind it, and thats what we are. Therefore, my administration is recommending that all Americans, including the young and healthy, work to engage in schooling from home when possible. Avoid gathering in groups of more than 10 people. Avoid discretionary travel. And avoid eating and drinking at bars, restaurants, and public food courts.

If everyone makes this change or these critical changes and sacrifices now, we will rally together as one nation and we will defeat the virus. And were going to have a big celebration all together.

With several weeks of focused action, we can turn the corner and turn it quickly. A lot of progress has been made. Im also pleased to report today that a vaccine candidate has begun the phase one clinical trial. This is one of the fastest vaccine development launches in history. Not even close. Were also racing to develop antiviral therapies and other treatments. And weve had some promising results early results, but promising to reduce the severity and the duration of the synd- of the symptoms.

And I have to say that our government is prepared to do whatever it takes. Whatever it takes, were doing. Were doing it in every way.

And with that, Id like to just introduce Dr. Birx, whos going to discuss some of the things that we strongly recommend.

Thank you.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:44 AM

As much as I hate to say it, Trump is right. A full longterm lockdown is not feasible. Eventually (and quickly) it will snap.
A phased reopening is probably the way to go. Maybe allow the reopening of businesses provided they have certain guidelines to mitigate risk. Everyone must wear N95 type masks and latex or plastic gloves outside. Coffee shops can open, but only serve "to go" not shut down. Parks remain closed, or only walking permitted, no sitting down.
Sanitation departments identify and clean likely hotspots for viruses. Offices and schools have instructions to wipe down desks, door handles, and other likely virus gathering areas.

Maybe police forces are given authority to check people's temperatures....yes I know civil liberties, but might be the only option.

There won't be still will be an increase in cases and adverse outcomes, but possibly a manageable one.

Since, sure people might not snap on 1st of April. But possibly will on 10th April. Absolutely before 1st of May. Only an idiot will think this can be managed till the 1st of June.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
As much as I hate to say it, Trump is right. A full longterm lockdown is not feasible. Eventually (and quickly) it will snap.
A full lockdown isn't feasible even in the short term. Ontario has ordered all businesses to close except those providing "essential products or services" and if you scroll down the list, the number of exempted businesses is very long, especially when you consider it includes the supply chain for essential businesses and the entire transportation sector.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:26 PM

Whose interests are served by millions of American deaths? Might Putin's puppy be behaving exactly as he's told to?
Old 03-24-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
500 deaths in the country and big brother tactics being taken? I am starting to believe the conspiracy people.
Dude, it's now how many are dead now. It's how many could be.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
Three weeks ago that number was 2.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:42 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
A full lockdown isn't feasible even in the short term. Ontario has ordered all businesses to close except those providing "essential products or services" and if you scroll down the list, the number of exempted businesses is very long, especially when you consider it includes the supply chain for essential businesses and the entire transportation sector.
Doug Ford is getting some shit for this, but I don't see what else they can do. Every business on the list is pretty justifiable. If you want to keep a grocery store running you'd better keep open farms, food processing plants, packaging factories, label manufacturers, all the utilities, all the supply chain companies, the payroll company that pays all those employees... it's just a giant list.

I mean, you could also get in there and fine slice a bit; I think it's justifiable that pet shops open because if you tell people Rover and Snowball have to starve they'll riot. But I'm not sure Petsmart needs to be selling cat toys and tropical fish, and would suggest the government needs to come up with rules on limiting hours and providing employees with masks if they become available, and enforcing social distancing rules in-store.