Old 03-25-2020, 07:56 PM

TV station reporters broadcasting from home? Is it a ratings stunt?

My local ABC affiliate began broadcasting some of their local news reports from home. The Metrologist and several assignment reports earnestly informed us (cue dramatic music) that they're isolating and working from home. My oh my.

Btw, the lead anchor is in the studio. Which means the production crew is there too. One of the assignment reporters did a report from roadside. I assume she probably ventured into the station to edit the footage.

The oh so brave broadcasts from home won't get on the air unless engineers working in the station patch them into the live feed. The video referenced by the reporter had to be edited by someone.

My bullshit meter is pegging off the scale.

A skeleton crew in the station can keep a reasonable distance from each other. Wear masks & gloves to open doors and use equipment. Use hand sanitizer.

Leaving the Metrologist and a couple reporters at home doesn't accomplish very much.

Haven't journalists been categorized as essential personnel? They're allowed to work?

How are our intrepid reporters gathering the news with their backsides parked on the sofa?

Is your local TV news doing something similar?

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-25-2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:06 PM

They are doing this in the UK too but generally they explain it is because those broadcasting from home are self-isolating due to them or a family member have shown a symptom. But yes it needs staff in the office to make the broadcast work but they would presumably also stay at home should they need to.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
...the aceplace57 bullshit meter needs re-calibration.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
A reliable and well-calibrated instrument, I'm sure.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:24 PM

I think this is a very scary situation and we are trying to figure it out as we go.

See, there are two kinds of people in this world. I see people who are scared and doing the best they can. And you see bullshit.

smh
Old 03-25-2020, 08:39 PM

I understand isolating at home. My employer closed two weeks ago.

My governor closed the schools. Restaurants are not allowed dine-in. Dentist offices are closed. Hair dressers and barbers are closed.

It's a smart strategy to flat line the Coronavirus curve. I think Gov Hutchinson is handling the crises really well.

Local Tv news is considered essential. The public has to be kept informed.

Step 1 would be to identify who needs to work. The receptionist, payroll clerk, HR staff etc. can stay home. On air talent and most of the production crew are needed for the broadcast.

Hypothetically let's presume there's usually 24 people in the office. A skeleton crew of essential personnel is 13 people. Sending 3 to broadcast from home just doesn't seem that useful.

The office work area is already much emptier with the skeleton crew. They can keep the recommended 4 to 6 feet apart.

Maybe it is just a panicked reaction to the virus.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-25-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

No BS.

The average TV news studio isn’t much bigger than my living room. I’ve seen some where the main anchor desk is front and center with the green weather wall on one side and the sports desk on the other. Add cameras, the ever-present production intern, and a floor director, and you can easily have ten people in a 20x25 foot room. More if you’ve got someone doing traffic and someone doing consumer reporting (aka 7 on your side) The control rooms are even more cozy with somewhere around four to six people in what might be 8x12 feet, making social distancing impossible.

If you can get a couple of the on-camera people to skype in, it’s pretty easy to improve the spacing in the studio. Its a little harder to skype in the control room functions, but with a fairly trivial bit of work, functions like titles and captions, the weather and traffic maps can be done from an editing room, and in a pinch, the director can press the buttons instead of telling someone else to.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:59 PM

I'd call it, as they say on CBS, "an abundance of caution." Anthony Mason, one of the co-anchors of the CBS morning news, stayed at home this morning because one of his family members lost their sense of taste and smell, which is a possible symptom of coronavirus. I wouldn't call it a ratings stunt. They really are trying to slow the spread of the virus.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Maybe it is just a panicked reaction to the virus.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:07 PM

Here's an example. Skip to 25 seconds. It's very low resolution video that probably came from a phone.

https://katv.com/news/local/lower-ad...ty?jwsource=cl

I support whatever it takes for people to feel safe.

It caught me off guard with the reporters working from home. I wasn't expecting it to be necessary.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-25-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:21 PM

COVID-19 is a media conspiracy.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
COVID-19 is a media conspiracy.
I absolutely never implied that. I have older relatives that I'm worried sick about.

The US death toll just topped 900. This virus is deadily serious.

I simply wondered if the local news were being a little sensationalist with their reporter at home broadcasts.

My deep concern about the Coronavirus is why I find any attempt to sensationalize it repulsive.

It's too real and personal. Too many people are suffering for any organization to manipulate the situation.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-25-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

An entertainment and features reporter in Chicago has a couple kids at home so she's there with them. None of what she'd normally visit is open so she needs to stretch to fill her segments.

The sports guy is probably taking some vacation to cuz he gone.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:48 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

It also serves as setting a good example.

My city council meeting was canceled this week. I'm pissed (I'm a council member) because it would have been 10 people in a disinfected room for like 15-20 mins. I didn't see the need to cancel.

But, we're city council. We need to set a good example. If you don't need to get together (and our lawyer determined we didn't), don't get together. Be smart. Be safe.

If the TV news shows that they can still put on a show and be clever with technology and people are staying at home, well, we all can do it!

Sorry if it scares and confuses you.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
An entertainment and features reporter in Chicago has a couple kids at home so she's there with them. None of what she'd normally visit is open so she needs to stretch to fill her segments.

The sports guy is probably taking some vacation to cuz he gone.
Also, there's really no sports to report, so no reason for the local news sports score wrap-up segment.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 03-25-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I simply wondered if the local news were being a little sensationalist with their reporter at home broadcasts.
I don’t know—maybe the you didn’t read below the fold, or you’ve been having a staycation in an isolation tank for the last couple of months—but we’re in the midst of the largest global pandemic in a century with projected casualties in the United States alone in the millions. So, maybe doing “Live at Five” and “This Just In: Is Your Car Detailer Overcharging You?” are a little less important than preventing further spread of contagion.

Just Answering Questions,

Stranger

Last edited by Stranger On A Train; 03-25-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:38 PM

When I see some of my favorite news women who are pretty obviously doing their own hair and make-up, I don't call it a stunt.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
That crossed my mind.

Even if it's not necessary from a practical standpoint (and I'm not saying it isn't), the message it sends to viewers isn't "OMG! Virus!" but "We're doing this because everyone who can, should—this means you, too."

Last edited by Thudlow Boink; 03-25-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:15 AM

It also demonstrates that a lot of the on-air people at your local news station are not necessary.

Why do you need a reporter to stand in front of the closed courthouse at 11:00 pm to tell you what happened when the jury reached a verdict at 9:00 am? They could just as easily tell you from the comfort of their living room. Or the studio anchor could just read it off a script.

I have seen the sports anchor doing the weekend sports cast from what was obviously their home studio in a small market years before this all happened. Then he retired and the weekend news anchors just starting reading the sports script.

I think they are setting a good example by working from home. But they are also showing how unnecessary many of their jobs are.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
It also demonstrates that a lot of the on-air people at your local news station are not necessary.

Why do you need a reporter to stand in front of the closed courthouse at 11:00 pm to tell you what happened when the jury reached a verdict at 9:00 am? They could just as easily tell you from the comfort of their living room. Or the studio anchor could just read it off a script.

I have seen the sports anchor doing the weekend sports cast from what was obviously their home studio in a small market years before this all happened. Then he retired and the weekend news anchors just starting reading the sports script.

I think they are setting a good example by working from home. But they are also showing how unnecessary many of their jobs are.
Viewers are looking for personality and engagement. If they expect a particular level of reporter interaction and reporting on location brings in and keeps those viewers then, by definition, that job is necessary.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
But they are also showing how unnecessary many of their jobs are.
..."unnecessary" is subjective. That reporter standing in front of a closed courthouse at 11:00 pm had probably spent the better part of the day digging up stories while the courtroom was open, doing interviews, finding out stuff. You can't have the studio anchors "reading off the script" if you don't have reporters out there gathering information for those scripts. You might only see them for a minute onscreen but that doesn't mean they haven't been working there arses off.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:56 AM

Acey is talking about the main weather reporter. We're fixin to be in tornado season. Our weather guy is important.
I can see the fluff pieces and the sports reporting not being SO important.
I want my weatherman front and center.

I noticed Anderson Cooper was broadcasting from home then at a 'remote' studio on CNN.
If I lived in NY I don't think I would go outside at all. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 03-26-2020 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My local ABC affiliate began broadcasting some of their local news reports from home. The Metrologist and several assignment reports earnestly informed us (cue dramatic music) that they're isolating and working from home. My oh my.
That word doesn't mean what you think it means:
Quote:
me·trol·o·gy
/məˈträləjē/

the scientific study of measurement.
Our meteorologists are broadcasting from home also.They mostly display the maps and forecasts, which can be done as well from home. The sound quality is not great, and there are dropouts, so I suspect it isn't done to get ratings. Which I think the local news stations are getting anyway. Ads, maybe not so much.

The anchors on all the news shows I watched have moved apart, which wouldn't leave space for the sports guy or the weather guy. The morning traffic reports are gone - no traffic to speak of.
The on location reporters are far from anyone, and the production people can keep their distances.

I agree that live reports from places where nothing is happening are dumb, but they predate the virus.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:47 AM

Our 'couch' shows have gone 'skype'. It does make the participants interact less, and make the moderator more scripted and controlling. Which is not a good thing. But in some of those shows, the participants are from interstate, and normally spend their day talking to people. So it seems like a good idea, not something that is going to improve ratings.

But these are also media individuals, who look for and implicitly believe the most dramatic and conflicting stories. Of course they are working from home.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Inconceivable!
Old 03-26-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post

Our meteorologists are broadcasting from home also.They mostly display the maps and forecasts, which can be done as well from home. The sound quality is not great, and there are dropouts, so I suspect it isn't done to get ratings. Which I think the local news stations are getting anyway. Ads, maybe not so much.

The anchors on all the news shows I watched have moved apart, which wouldn't leave space for the sports guy or the weather guy. The morning traffic reports are gone - no traffic to speak of.
The on location reporters are far from anyone, and the production people can keep their distances.

I agree that live reports from places where nothing is happening are dumb, but they predate the virus.
Spell check strikes again. Thank you for the correction.

Our local Sports anchor doesn't have much to report. But he's managed to scrape up a few stories. The poor guy has to fill his allocated air time some way.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-26-2020 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Local Tv news is considered essential. The public has to be kept informed.
I'm fairly well informed, yet I haven't watched local television news since the last time I was in a bar on a slow sports night (aka the before-times).
Old 03-26-2020, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

I think there are two possible bullshit questions here:

The first is whether a reporter working from home is reasonable. I think it's very reasonable, at least because running around talking to a big variety of people face to face is quite a good transmission vector. It might also be the reporter has specific reasons to isolate, either on account of their own status or just on account of others close to them.

The second is how they present the fact of their working from home. It might not need to be said at all. If they are breathless and sensational about it, then there could be a bullshit element to it, yes. But this is just changing what has always been a bullshit element. If last month the same reporter was standing in front of the courthouse, for example, why isn't that bullshit? Sure, they were in there digging up stories, but now that they're reporting same, why is it best to be on the street while doing so? Get in your damn car, so I can hear you, not out here with the honking horns and people dancing behind you. It has always bugged me that they actually make it hard to hear the content, just so they can add a dramatic element of being outside physically close to the scene of the story, without actually showing anything relevant to the content in that outdoor shoot.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:41 AM

I agree that the huge reason to do it is to set an example for viewers ... They can't just carry on, business as usual, while telling viewers to uproot their lives. It looks hypocritical to report that people should be self-isolating while newscasters are sitting side-by-side at a desk. People will just not take it seriously. This is not time for business as usual, and what we see should absolutely reflect that.

It's the same reason all the late-night programs are broadcasting from home instead of carrying on as usual or just airing reruns. It's the same reason all the celebrities are posting their quarantine selfies and singing terrible songs. They want people to realize this is a real problem to be taken seriously. The more people see that others are cooperating with the stay at home orders, the more likely they are to do it themselves. Especially if they are seeing people they look up to and trust.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post

My city council meeting was canceled this week. I'm pissed (I'm a council member) because it would have been 10 people in a disinfected room for like 15-20 mins. I didn't see the need to cancel.

But, we're city council. We need to set a good example. If you don't need to get together (and our lawyer determined we didn't), don't get together. Be smart. Be safe.

If the TV news shows that they can still put on a show and be clever with technology and people are staying at home, well, we all can do it!

Sorry if it scares and confuses you.
This.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:43 AM

One of the local newscasters is reporting from home because she tested positive. They specifically said the weather forecaster (maybe sports, too) is broadcasting from home to keep the studio more empty.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:53 AM

Two nights ago, I took part in a Skyped bar trivia game. Fun!
Old 03-26-2020, 08:54 AM

I know it isn't the same thing, but I like that my favorite late night talk show hosts have been shooting their programs from home. It makes me feel like I'm not alone in this surreal mode of shut-in-ness.

It also reminds me that we are somehow managing to pull through this. And thus, we can keep on managing. It doesn't have to be a miserable horrible thing to shelter at home.

Maybe it is some kind of stunt, but who says stunts are inherently bad?
Old 03-26-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
I know it isn't the same thing, but I like that my favorite late night talk show hosts have been shooting their programs from home. It makes me feel like I'm not alone in this surreal mode of shut-in-ness.

It also reminds me that we are somehow managing to pull through this. And thus, we can keep on managing. It doesn't have to be a miserable horrible thing to shelter at home.

Maybe it is some kind of stunt, but who says stunts are inherently bad?
One of my favorite podcasts, The Complete Guide To Everything, has done their last couple episodes with Tim and Tom each working from home. They live in NYC and usually record podcasts together, but shit has gotten real. I wish it were a stunt.

They've also been drinking more before and during the podcast, and sometimes you can hear them struggling to keep things positive and lite.

Another good podcast, /filmcast (slash filmcast) has been sobering. David Chen,
Devindra Hardawar, and Jeff Cannata are dealing with the loss of their industry.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:51 AM

Frankly I dont trust any news outlet wont try this or that for ratings.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanredneck View Post
Frankly I dont trust any news outlet wont try this or that for ratings.
Why would this increase ratings? Who's going to tune in just to get a glimpse of somebody's living room?

And the news doesn't need any phony stunts to boost ratings. Viewership is way up because people are vitally concerned and are grasping for every scrap of news.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
A skeleton crew in the station can keep a reasonable distance from each other. Wear masks & gloves to open doors and use equipment. Use hand sanitizer.
That seems like much more work than broadcasting from home, and for what?

Increased risk of transmission vs. the stinkeye from the aceplace57's of the world. I know what my choice would be.

You know masks are in short supply for essential medical personnel, yes? That even the precautions taken by medical personnel isn't a guarantee against contagion? That pre-symptomatic individuals can spread the disease? That we don't really know what is required to be perfectly safe?
Old 03-26-2020, 11:23 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
When I see some of my favorite news women who are pretty obviously doing their own hair and make-up, I don't call it a stunt.
A couple of mine were discussing touching up their roots live. Boring if Mom did it but when a couple of your funny breakfast pals do it? ... Okay, still boring, but more fun than watching the toaster.

Last edited by dropzone; 03-26-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
... Okay, still boring, but more fun than watching the toaster.
We have a toaster oven, and after a few hits on the vape pen, the red glow is freaky!
Old 03-26-2020, 01:24 PM

TV station reporters broadcasting from home? Is it a ratings stunt?

No.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A couple of mine were discussing touching up their roots live. Boring if Mom did it but when a couple of your funny breakfast pals do it? ... Okay, still boring, but more fun than watching the toaster.
The Times today said that the sales of dye for touching roots has skyrocketed.