Old 03-25-2020, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

What did the US Senate fight over with coronavirus bill?

I want to keep this GQ. I want as many facts as possible, let's try to link consequences to their respective forums, link to a new thread.

The US Senate just pasted a corona virus bill, after negotiations lasted days; what is different between this bill and the one voted down earlier this week? What changes were made?
Old 03-25-2020, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

I'm not sure what came out of it finally, but two of the things the Democrats were fighting for were (1) to make nonprofits that receive Medicaid payments eligible for relief (Basically, it seems the Republicans were targeting Planned Parenthood and other organizations in blue states which had accepted expanded Medicaid back under Obama. (2) put some controls and transparency on the $500 billion dollar fund that Mnuchin could basically do what he saw fit with.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:01 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Since a political discussion probably can't be avoided, let's move this to Politics & Elections.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 03-26-2020, 09:17 AM

I think another change is, the original bill had a restriction on the $1200 payments where no one could get more than the amount they paid in taxes for 2018, which meant that the poorest people, and probably the ones that needed the money the most, would get little, if any.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:59 AM

Democrats also got language added that bans any of the relief funds from going directly to business owned by the President, Vice President, cabinet officials, and members of Congress. I believe it also excludes businesses owned by their children.

They also got an extension to unemployment benefits that was more generous to out-of-work folks than what the original bill had.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:19 PM

I think there's also language that says that companies that accept bailout money have to use it to pay their workers; they can't just use it to buy back their stock or give bonuses to top level management.

Disclaimer: I haven't read the thing; I've just read articles about it.