Old 02-01-2020, 02:01 AM
Charter Member

Leap Year? More like CREEP Year! February minirants.

What's the deal with a flaky Google Minihome Hub that won't consistently shut up when I tell it to? I was getting used to having a voice activated web-radio/alarm clock, but now when it feels like, it hears me say "Hey google, stop!", goes quiet for a few seconds and then starts yapping again. Madness.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
What's the deal with a flaky Google Minihome Hub that won't consistently shut up when I tell it to? I was getting used to having a voice activated web-radio/alarm clock, but now when it feels like, it hears me say "Hey google, stop!", goes quiet for a few seconds and then starts yapping again. Madness.
It's like you've got a robot roommate... who's a morning person.

GoodmorrrrningBryanEkers! It'sabeautifuldayherein... ok, shutting up.
LikeIwassayingBryanEkers,it'sabeautifuldaytempisforty-twoAmericanandtherearetwentyactivitiesYOUcanparticipateintodayBryan...canIcallyouBryan?OrmaybeBry?Yo ulooklikeaBry-Man... ok, turning off.
TheBry-Man,upandreadytofacetheday!TheBry-Man,probablyneedsashowerbutdon'tskipbreakfastIt'sthemostimportantmealoftheday... TheBry-ManthrowinghisGoogleMiniHomeHuboutthewinnnnnnnnnn...
Old 02-01-2020, 08:27 PM

Those things should come with clappers.

Have you tried throwing it?
Old 02-02-2020, 08:55 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

What moron designed the Super Bowl LIV logo? The damn trophy stuck in it makes it look like LIIV.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:03 PM

Another Super Bowl related rant.

Good grief, Fox! Can you guys ever manage to not screw up anything. You announced that the first patriotic song after the commercial would be God Bless America, but the song was actually Americe the Beautiful. Can you clowns even try to be right?
Old 02-02-2020, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post

Good grief, Fox! Can you guys ever manage to not screw up anything. You announced that the first patriotic song after the commercial would be God Bless America, but the song was actually Americe the Beautiful. Can you clowns even try to be right?
Their being way far right to the point of lunacy is generally seen as a bug, not a feature.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:13 PM

Should have been Super Bowl LIV TYLER!
Old 02-02-2020, 10:08 PM

While everyone is worshipping football today, I used the time to finish the fifth -- yes, FIFTH -- round of revisions on my MA thesis. My #&@%@*$ committee chair has no problem with my arguments or my historiography or anything else substantial, but rather she keeps returning it with little margin notes demanding I reword this sentence and clarify this paragraph and and and... it feel like I'm being hazed at this point. Everything shes been bitching about she could've pointed out when I submitted my first draft nine fucking months ago.

Ugh.

She asked that I propose some defense dates when I submit this latest round of edits, so maybe the committee has decided they've toyed with me enough.

Assuming this is the last draft before defense, I can honestly say I didnt learn much from this process, other than the importance of playing nice with poorly-informed bureaucrats profs.

There. It's submitted. Fucking hell.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

I fucking HATE the beginning of the year! If it's not an award show fucking up my Sunday night programming, it's the Super Bowl!
Old 02-02-2020, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I fucking HATE the beginning of the year! If it's not an award show fucking up my Sunday night programming, it's the Super Bowl!
As far as I'm concerned, the only good thing about the Super Bowl is that it is also the best day of the year to go out to dinner, because the restaurants are nearly empty and the wait staff have lots of time to pay attention to you.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:17 AM

I hate February, and I hate that we have an extra day of it this year.

I also have to have radioactive iodine treatment, which means at least 4 trips to Sloan Kettering, 4 days of total isolation and other precautionary measures, and worst of all, a low-iodine diet for at least a week to prepare. I scheduled the main treatment on Valentine’s Day. Might as well concentrate the worst of the misery into ne giant ball of suck.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Yesterday I spent several hours going through several months of mail that I haven't even looked at. There was a fair bit of heat and friction (from my jeans) applied to a small area on my upper thigh as I leaned back and forth to do this.

Today I have a HUGE, and very sore, firm LUMP on that exact spot. I know it'll go away eventually but right now it hurts.

ETA: jeez, Green Bean, that sounds altogether sucky.

Last edited by Morgyn; 02-03-2020 at 06:10 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:47 AM

I'm just glad January's over.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post

"God Bless America the Beautiful" - There, fixed!
Old 02-03-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancia View Post
While everyone is worshipping football today, I used the time to finish the fifth -- yes, FIFTH -- round of revisions on my MA thesis.
Did you live stream it?
Old 02-03-2020, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the only good thing about the Super Bowl is that it is also the best day of the year to go out to dinner, because the restaurants are nearly empty and the wait staff have lots of time to pay attention to you.
But as often as not they’re surly because they have to be at work missing the big game. Or they’re surly because they’re STILL understaffed, on account of how many of their co-workers decided to blow off coming in.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:52 PM

Maybe it's just me but I thought that Google SB commercial was super creepy.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

My son has moved out of his apartment, abandoning his furniture and leaving the place a mess. After I offered him assistance many, many times. I knew this would happen, but I'm still upset...is he ever going to make any attempt at growing up or just go with the flow, right down the toilet? I think I know the answer to that too.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
My son has moved out of his apartment, abandoning his furniture and leaving the place a mess. After I offered him assistance many, many times. I knew this would happen, but I'm still upset...is he ever going to make any attempt at growing up or just go with the flow, right down the toilet? I think I know the answer to that too.
Sometimes the best and only thing you can do for a child is to let them fail and learn to deal with the failure. It's hard, though. I haven't had to do that (no kids) but my parents did it for me and I know how tough it was for them.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

That's my plan. Unfortunately it's going to hurt me more than it hurts him!
Old 02-03-2020, 04:36 PM

People who talk about "pure Spaniards" and they mean it.

I'm amazed that such levels of intelligence do not produce black holes. Should be grateful too, I guess, because that would mean the end of life on Earth, but hot damn, that's got to be like a -5 on the DnD Intelligence scale.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
I'll say! We went to the local Lowe's (big box hardware store), and were actually helped by an employee! (Usually they disappear whenever you have a question.)
Old 02-03-2020, 06:11 PM

We tried to go and get the car washed during the Super Bowl, thinking there'd be no line at that time, but they were closed. Probably due to not enough business/all the employees called in sick to watch the game.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

There's plenty of misinformation out there on the coronavirus - this surprises nobody.

I'm on an email list dealing with casseroles. I hadn't heard from the list in years, but recently someone signed on to start sending "health" spam.

A message late yesterday touted that garlic would cure coronavirus.

Someone replied, saying "Garlic does NOT cure coronavirus".

Ok, so far so good....

then this person continued by saying "It was created in a lab and injected with HIV proteins".

And finished up with "Stop spreading BS!".

The irony..... the stoopid.... it burns!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2020, 09:38 PM

You haven't seen the touts for drinking bleach to prevent/cure the WuFlu, I guess.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:19 PM

After spending parts of two days laboriously excising the plague that is landscape fabric from the garden beds of a house into which we are moving, I must ask

Why?

WHY?

WHY

in the name of Bob Dobbs would anyone coat their garden in this obscene polyester crap, bury it in mulch (or worse, lava rock) and leave it for the next poor bastard to deal with?

Weeds grow in whatever you cover it with, the earth compacts underneath it, you can't add soil amendments or plant anything new without getting tangled in it, roots get embedded in it and finally it hideously decays as a monument to your unfathomable stupidity.

I've had to eliminate this cancer from at least three gardens already.

I could write a book called "My Struggle Against Horticultural Feeble-mindedness, Botanical Jackassery And Landscape Fabric", but the title would look odd in the German edition.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:38 AM

Small world - this gardener, today, explained to someone how much an absolute bane of my existence that shit is.
"But it keeps the weeds out."
I had to explain to her that not only does it not keep weeds out, but, as already explained, the rhizomes and rootstalks interweave thoughout the fabric, becoming, if anything, a sometimes impenetrable weed incubator. Also explained to her that it's a pain for transplanting, and quite often - as the soil from the edges of the bed gradually wear away - exposed flaps of the black crap become more evident, especially on windy days, making the bed look ratty.
It had been ages that I had to deal with it, and this morning, of all mornings, I almost put my back out using the mattock for two and half hours whacking through it (and getting rid of TONS of it ), and then seeing a post about it, here.
Hope it's another loooooong time before it blights my existence again.

Any more landscape fabric-related atrocities befouling, besmirching, our very beings?
Old 02-04-2020, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
People who talk about "pure Spaniards" and they mean it.

I'm amazed that such levels of intelligence do not produce black holes. Should be grateful too, I guess, because that would mean the end of life on Earth, but hot damn, that's got to be like a -5 on the DnD Intelligence scale.
The notion of "pure Japanese" is quite common here. That's what you get when people are starved of education about the world.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

My husband is a true believer in landscape fabric, no matter how many weeds burst jubilantly from our plant beds. However, yesterday I was glad to find a scrap of it (which the dogs had torn up). I used it to pick up a dead snake (which the dogs had torn up).
Old 02-04-2020, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Four plus weeks into the new year and it good to see the vitriolic anti Trump people are still about.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:21 AM

the horror...

the horror.....
Old 02-04-2020, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenerms View Post
Four plus weeks into the new year and it good to see the vitriolic anti Trump people are still about.
That would be because he's still about.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:03 PM

One of my online friends just had a new grandson and put up a pic where he's still coated in vernix caseosa. Every time I scroll past that picture I want to puke. Would it have killed her to keep that picture in her camera roll and just post the pics where he's been cleaned up?
Old 02-04-2020, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

It’s 7 PM, the TV in the lunchroom is tuned to ABC, WHY THE FUCK AM I LOOKING AT THE AMERICA-HATING FUCKSTICK’S UGLY FACE INSTEAD OF ALEX TREBECK’S?

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 02-04-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
One of my online friends just had a new grandson and put up a pic where he's still coated in vernix caseosa. Every time I scroll past that picture I want to puke. Would it have killed her to keep that picture in her camera roll and just post the pics where he's been cleaned up?
Could be worse - My sister posted a picture of me nursing my daughter for the first time on Facebook before I even got the chance to announce that the baby had been born. Luckily, she cropped the photo so that I was mostly decent... It's been almost 6 years and I'm still a bit peeved about it.

My minirant for the day is that they are going to take my daughter's one-on-one para away in about two weeks, which they only told me about yesterday. So far, she's been really doing well with her IEP goals, including her social skills and following directions, but she still has fleeing behaviors. I'm really nervous that taking her para away is going to lead to her regressing back to running out of the classroom (or out of the school!) whenever she's asked to do something.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:15 AM

My plan to walk off with a client and set up my own business kind of tanked. Someone within the client organization but outside my contacts called the shot and it didn't happen. My contact, a department head, said she was "heartbroken" (her words). I didn't know she didn't have enough influence over that part of the process - of course she never told me she didn't, but why would she? Hmm. That sucks. All my plans down in flames. Worse also because it means I won't be able to help out my friends who need work and who I would have been able to pass the work too.

Plan 2. I did an at-home-test and now have a job interview with a top 10 global law firm next week. I'm 50 and still interviewing for jobs. How many bad decisions have I made in my life?
Old 02-05-2020, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
Plan 2. I did an at-home-test and now have a job interview with a top 10 global law firm next week. I'm 50 and still interviewing for jobs. How many bad decisions have I made in my life?
Take heart. I interviewed for my current job when I was almost 54 (about 2 years ago). For me it's been a matter of bad luck most of my working life.
  • The last employer liked to acquire lots of new companies and then cut people from both us and the acquired company.
  • The one before that lost a major client and had to cut "unnecessary" personnel (tech writers get no respect).
  • The one before that was a long-term contract gig that ran out.
  • The one before that was constantly being downsized because the owning company didn't understand what to do with full-time employees (they supplied contract personnel as their main business).
  • The one before THAT put its eggs in the wrong basket and had to close the local offices and I wasn't willing to move to TX.
  • The one before that went through 6 acquisitions in the 5 years I was there and I have no idea if it still exists, since that time leaving was MY choice.
  • And my first employer happened to be a savings and loan that got taken over by the RTC at pretty much the beginning of the S&L crisis.
I wouldn't have thought any of these were bad decisions, but I've still done far more job hunting than I've ever wanted to, or expected to.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Speaking of work, why do some people think it's the height of comedy to walk up to someone who's hunched over and focusing on some task -- reading an old manual or filling out a report by hand, for example -- and bellow "WAKE UP, [NAME]!!!" Not only has my concentration been shattered, but now my colleagues think I was dozing. Thanks a bundle.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
Speaking of work, why do some people think it's the height of comedy to walk up to someone who's hunched over and focusing on some task -- reading an old manual or filling out a report by hand, for example -- and bellow "WAKE UP, [NAME]!!!" Not only has my concentration been shattered, but now my colleagues think I was dozing. Thanks a bundle.
Next time, after startling into an upright posture slump forward on your desk like you just died from a heart attack. Hold the position for however long it takes the asshole to call for help.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:52 PM

Furnace died. It’s currently 55* in here.
Good thing I pay a fair amount for an emergency repair plan, right? Available for repair 24/7, right?
After I (sadly) kind of snipped at the scheduler when he tried to upsell more shit to the repair plan (we have a great rebate program where when you enroll, we’d write you a check for $1300 towards a new furnace! After a 30 day grace period, of course... DUDE it’s Minnesota! I can’t wait 30 days!) I was told someone would be out sometime tomorrow.
Any more specific of a timeframe? 730am - 11pm.

I’m afraid it’s finally dead. It’s 73 years old. It’s been a hell of a workhorse.
Unfortunately, there’s very little money for a new furnace. Tightening an already squeezing belt is going to hurt, if it’s too far gone.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Next time, after startling into an upright posture slump forward on your desk like you just died from a heart attack. Hold the position for however long it takes the asshole to call for help.
Bonus points for rolling off your chair and convulsing enough to tip your desk over, which'll give you time to get some good froth going.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:52 AM

nm

Last edited by Guest-starring: Id!; 02-06-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:49 AM

Plays "Taps"
Furnace is dead. It has shuffled off this mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. It is an ex-furnace.
Dang it.

Somewhat lucked out, my brother-in-law works for a heating / cooling company as their head electrician. He's donating his labor and parts and I'm receiving a discount. I'm upgrading to a high-efficient furnace, all set for an a/c to be installed when I can afford it. Unfortunately, it's still very expensive mostly due to removing the old furnace and fixing a lot of what the original home owners kludged together. They are throwing in fixing the water heater my dad and aforementioned brother-in-law installed incorrectly for free. Whee.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:57 PM

Climate change? It happens in Ohio every day! Its gone from 60 to 30 over and over again. Moving to Florida..
Old 02-06-2020, 01:10 PM

Dear food delivery company,
OK, it's one thing to take over two hours to deliver an order that was supposed to take 45 minutes , resulting in my brother getting no dinner before he left for work. No explanation as to why the extra delay, I might add. But sending a rude driver that couldn't follow directions and hung up on me, (it's not like I was yelling or cussing her out either) so that eventually I had to walk to the entrance of the park to get for myself food that should be delivered to my door.. for said order to also be WRONG, well that's just extra.
No Love,
Janis

(yeah , first world problems I know, but dang, c'mon)
Old 02-06-2020, 04:43 PM

Low flow commodes are a great idea, but only the ones you don't have to flush 25 times to finish "job #2" pass muster. It's not even one of those early ones, either - it's only a tad under 10 years old. But nonetheless, way too often, I'm having to flush multiple times AND break out the brush to clean the bowl. Leave it up to the city to cheap out on the commodes they pass out for their "water conservation" campaign. Hope it's a better one these days.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
As a bonus, I would get to enjoy seeing this person struggle to find the intercom speed dial button on my desk phone.

And I can't reply to the post from digs for some reason, but my desk is an ancient, metal and wood monstrosity. I'm pretty sure it would injure passers-by if I managed to tip it over. Although, judging by its overall appearance, it has either been dropped or toppled a few times already.

Last edited by Jeep's Phoenix; 02-06-2020 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bean View Post
I hate February, and I hate that we have an extra day of it this year.

I also have to have radioactive iodine treatment, which means at least 4 trips to Sloan Kettering, 4 days of total isolation and other precautionary measures, and worst of all, a low-iodine diet for at least a week to prepare. I scheduled the main treatment on Valentine’s Day. Might as well concentrate the worst of the misery into one giant ball of suck.
I had RAI in 2015 -- at Christmastime! (I had papillary thyroid cancer) The low iodine diet was a real bitch. Here's what I did: I went to a local bakery and bought my favorite pastry. I kept in in my fridge all week. It was my reward for getting through the Blandest Diet on Earth.

Hang in there: It really does get better!
Old 02-07-2020, 02:13 PM

1. My son had flu last week
2. The day he was diagnosed my daughter passed out and hit her head at school
3. Then she came home with a broken ankle two days later
4. The day after that, my mom put my childhood house on the market and it sold in less than 24 hours and now she needs to find someplace to live in 6 weeks and wants to live here with me
5. And she doesn't have enough to live on
6. And I drop-kicked a squirrel on accident Monday because it tried to hop in the car with me. I kicked out without thinking about it and it went flying and I couldn't stop laughing to whole damn way to work.

I hate everything. Except kicking that squirrel. That was amazing.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyverbose View Post
6. And I drop-kicked a squirrel on accident Monday because it tried to hop in the car with me. I kicked out without thinking about it and it went flying and I couldn't stop laughing to whole damn way to work.

I hate everything. Except kicking that squirrel. That was amazing.
Always be kicking squirrels!

Yesterday, late, the lady (Lady A) that takes my daughter from her bus stop to her daycare in the afternoons asked me to have my back up person (Lady B) do it today as her children are sick. This is all fine. Her kid's bus stop is being changed anyway and we were going to have to stop our arrangement soon. So I text Lady B, who was going to be the fulltime person once the bus stop changed for Lady A, and ask her nicely to pick up my daughter starting today. And I get crickets. And then I thought about it and realized I hadn't seen Lady B all week. So I quickly realize that I have likely been ghosted by Lady B and now need to leave work early to go get my kid from the bus stop. Which I will be doing. And now I need to find a new person to take my kid to daycare after she gets off the bus. This parenting shit is hard, yo.