View Poll Results: Bracket 1
Candidate Name 1 19 46.34%
Candidate Name 2 22 53.66%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-14-2019, 04:07 PM
jsc1953 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 10,320

Test poll


testing a possible new poll
  #2  
Old 02-15-2019, 07:49 AM
kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 14,260
It may be all the Chili and cheese I ate yesterday but I decided to go #2.

And pie ------ never forget to include pie in your poll.

Last edited by kopek; 02-15-2019 at 07:49 AM.
  #3  
Old 02-15-2019, 08:03 AM
burpo the wonder mutt's Avatar
burpo the wonder mutt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 23,154
Hey, someone’s stuffing the ballot box; you think his name is Chad?
  #4  
Old 02-15-2019, 08:13 AM
kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 14,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Hey, someone’s stuffing the ballot box; you think his name is Chad?

Didn't they hang him?

I am soooo ashamed of myself for that one.
  #5  
Old 02-15-2019, 08:43 AM
whitetho's Avatar
whitetho is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: USA, North Carolina, Cary
Posts: 2,598
"Candidate Name 2" has my unqualified endorsement to become unrestricted ruler of the universe.
  #6  
Old 02-15-2019, 09:25 AM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,893

A test as requested


Choose the one correct answer among the four choices given.


1. Watch over

A. Care
B. Steal
C. Buy
D. Lease

2. A stinker

A. Dog
B. Cat
C. Bird
D. Gerbil

3. You are so nice!

A. Light
B. Sound
C. Wind
D. Water

4. You are so chicken!

A. Cow
B. Tree
C. Hole
D. Lion

5. Cold

A. Q
B. R
C. M
D. X

6. You made a mess!

A. Rob
B. Loot
C. Steal
D. Filch

7. Bad illness

A. Leo
B. Aries
C. Cancer
D. Libra

8. Place

A. But
B. And
C. Too
D. If

9. Divide

A. Awake
B. Amuse
C. Aloft
D. Arise

10. Game

A. Owe
B. Pay
C. Due
D. Sue
  #7  
Old 02-15-2019, 11:27 AM
Frodo's Avatar
Frodo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 2,197
Damn it! everybody is voting for that sell-out corporatist neo-liberal tree hugger socialist commie of Number 2
  #8  
Old 02-15-2019, 12:06 PM
kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 14,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Damn it! everybody is voting for that sell-out corporatist neo-liberal tree hugger socialist commie of Number 2
Because every candidate is crap and we're tired of getting pissed on?

1 ---- A. Care
2 ---- B. Cat
3 ---- B. Sound
4 ---- A. Cow
5 ---- D. X
6 ---- B. Loot
7 ---- C. Cancer
8 ---- B. And
9 ---- B. Amuse
10 ---- D. Sue

They add up to an elephant lying on his back. Wearing a hat.
  #9  
Old 02-15-2019, 12:12 PM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Because every candidate is crap and we're tired of getting pissed on?

1 ---- A. Care
2 ---- B. Cat
3 ---- B. Sound
4 ---- A. Cow
5 ---- D. X
6 ---- B. Loot
7 ---- C. Cancer
8 ---- B. And
9 ---- B. Amuse
10 ---- D. Sue

They add up to an elephant lying on his back. Wearing a hat.
I would not vote for Individual 1.

BTW, You failed the test kopek. 30% is not passing.

Last edited by Biotop; 02-15-2019 at 12:13 PM.
  #10  
Old 02-15-2019, 12:24 PM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,893
Here is one more for extra credit:

11. Famous Star

A. Scion
B. Will
C. Heiress
D. Beneficiary
  #11  
Old 02-15-2019, 12:27 PM
snfaulkner's Avatar
snfaulkner is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 7,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
Here is one more for extra credit:

11. Famous Star

A. Scion
B. Will
C. Heiress
D. Beneficiary
E. Hamburger
__________________
It may be because I'm a drooling simpleton with the attention span of a demented gnat, but would you mind explaining everything in words of one syllable. 140 chars max.
  #12  
Old 02-15-2019, 12:38 PM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
E. Hamburger
Not even close. No points for you.
  #13  
Old 02-15-2019, 12:44 PM
snfaulkner's Avatar
snfaulkner is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: 123 Fake Street
Posts: 7,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
Not even close. No points for you.
ahem
__________________
It may be because I'm a drooling simpleton with the attention span of a demented gnat, but would you mind explaining everything in words of one syllable. 140 chars max.
  #14  
Old 02-15-2019, 01:01 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 13,614
I can't decide, so I didn't vote. I'm spechless.
  #15  
Old 02-15-2019, 01:06 PM
burpo the wonder mutt's Avatar
burpo the wonder mutt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 23,154
Abacab
  #16  
Old 02-15-2019, 06:05 PM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Hamburger was not a choice. Nor was Carl. No votes for you.
  #17  
Old 02-16-2019, 08:50 AM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,893
12. TV Show

A. GLOW
B. Dark
C. Crown
D. Mirror
  #18  
Old 02-16-2019, 10:19 AM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,893
13. Pain Reliever

A. O'er
B. 'Tis
C. Ol'
D. I've
  #19  
Old 02-16-2019, 05:12 PM
kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 14,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
13. Pain Reliever

A. O'er
B. 'Tis
C. Ol'
D. I've
Put up all the additions you wish; I will proudly stand by my 30%. Just like that biochem course I hardly took in college.
  #20  
Old 02-16-2019, 11:14 PM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Put up all the additions you wish; I will proudly stand by my 30%. Just like that biochem course I hardly took in college.
You voted Candidate 1, didn't you?

Candidate 2 stands for excellence. Candidate 2 would never stand for 30%. Vote Candidate 2!
  #21  
Old 02-17-2019, 12:54 AM
kopek is offline
born to be shunned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southwestern PA
Posts: 14,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
You voted Candidate 1, didn't you?
Actually no. Shows what you know.

  #22  
Old 02-17-2019, 09:20 PM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,893
Candidate 1 [Goofus] believes in gut reads and passive guessing. Occasionally he/she stumbles upon a right answer just by luck. But no one believes in Candidate 1's ability too understand the overall Cohesive themes of life. Slim and silly. This is the candidate of 30%.

Candidate 2 [Gallant] has shown real insight into understanding correct answers and why they are correct. He/she knows what to look for and where to find it. Gallant pays attention. I expect 100% test scores from this Candidate 2 because "Can 2 can-do!. "
  #23  
Old 02-18-2019, 04:44 AM
Atamasama's Avatar
Atamasama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,948
I voted for Kodos.
  #24  
Old 02-18-2019, 07:47 AM
burpo the wonder mutt's Avatar
burpo the wonder mutt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 23,154
^ I don’t blame you.
  #25  
Old 02-18-2019, 03:25 PM
Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 40,584
I voted only because it's not a public poll.
__________________
Everything happens for a reason. But sometimes the reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.
  #26  
Old 02-18-2019, 04:50 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 81,794
Quote:
Quoth kopek:

They add up to an elephant lying on his back.
Does the elephant have two trunks?
  #27  
Old 02-18-2019, 07:37 PM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,893
Looks like candidate 2 may be in trouble.

And I am trying and failing to come up with a number 14 for the test without resorting to the obscure. If someone solves the puzzle maybe that person can think of another possibility.
  #28  
Old 02-19-2019, 02:25 PM
Karen Lingel is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 1,291
6. A: Because "rob" requires adding two letters to turn it into a bird, whereas loon, teal, and finch require removing/replacing only one letter.
  #29  
Old 02-19-2019, 04:45 PM
Karen Lingel is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 1,291
2. A, because all of the other answers can be spelled using letters from CATTLE BRIDGE.
  #30  
Old 02-19-2019, 07:18 PM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Lingel View Post
6. A: Because "rob" requires adding two letters to turn it into a bird, whereas loon, teal, and finch require removing/replacing only one letter.
Pretty neat wordplay. However that answer is not correct
  #31  
Old 02-19-2019, 07:27 PM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Lingel View Post
2. A, because all of the other answers can be spelled using letters from CATTLE BRIDGE.
Candidate One is against both cattle and bridges! Vote Candidate two!
  #32  
Old 02-20-2019, 08:00 PM
Karen Lingel is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 1,291
1. A: can be typed on a standard keyboard with only the left hand.
2. B: can be typed on a standard keyboard with only the left hand.
3. D: can be typed on a standard keyboard with only the left hand.
4. B: can be typed on a standard keyboard with only the left hand.
5. Awwwww!
  #33  
Old 02-20-2019, 08:15 PM
Karen Lingel is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 1,291
Theme: makes a new word when you say the word then name its last letter:
1. D: Lease -> Lease-E -> leasee
2. B or C: Cat-T -> catty or Bird-D -> birdy
3. C: Wind-D -> windy
4. C: Hole-E -> holy.
5. Goddamnit!!! Not again!
  #34  
Old 02-20-2019, 08:56 PM
Karen Lingel is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 1,291
Theme: pre-pend a body part to make a common word/phrase:
1. Hair care
2. Lap dog
3. Footlight
4. Asshole
5. Eye-Q! Yes! I did it! I did it!
6. Knee steel
7. Lung Cancer
8. Armand (work with me, people!)
9. Elbow awake
10. Lego
  #35  
Old 02-20-2019, 09:11 PM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Lingel View Post
Theme: pre-pend a body part to make a common word/phrase:
1. Hair care
2. Lap dog
3. Footlight
4. Asshole
5. Eye-Q! Yes! I did it! I did it!
6. Knee steel
7. Lung Cancer
8. Armand (work with me, people!)
9. Elbow awake
10. Lego
I admire your effort. Not the right theme, but still impressive.

Only 30% correct answers, however.

+++++



Okay I thought of another one, and it is only semi-obscure:

14. A villain in 1974's The Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

A. Mary
B. Kate
C. Ann
D. Shirley
  #36  
Old 02-21-2019, 08:10 PM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,893
Polls are still open and we have a tie between our two candidates.

How do you determine a winner when there is no set time to end the voting?
  #37  
Old 02-23-2019, 10:52 AM
Blank Slate's Avatar
Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,067
1) d
2) b
3) a
4) b
5) b
6) b
7) a
8) b
9) d
10) a
  #38  
Old 02-23-2019, 10:59 AM
Blank Slate's Avatar
Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,067
11) c
12) b
13) b
14) a ???
  #39  
Old 02-23-2019, 11:30 AM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,893
Well done Blank Slate!

Of all the candidates you get my vote for test winner in this thread!

******

Btw, your answer to number 14 is not the right one. I was struggling to think of another theme question when I remembered a TV commercial from the late 1970's. I checked (of course everything is available now on the internet) and it turned out my memory was accurate. I also discovered the surprising movie connection.
  #40  
Old 02-23-2019, 11:39 AM
Blank Slate's Avatar
Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,067
Thanks, Biotop. These are really fun. I did this and then this again when I finally caught on.
  #41  
Old 02-24-2019, 11:17 AM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,893
Just curious if the reason for the answers to the Test poll quiz is easy to see if you know the correct choices?
  #42  
Old 02-25-2019, 09:05 PM
ioioio's Avatar
ioioio is offline
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: stuck inside a mobile
Posts: 3,732
For reasons I don't understand, I actually care which candidate wins this poll.
  #43  
Old 02-25-2019, 09:38 PM
Biotop's Avatar
Biotop is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Faber, VA
Posts: 7,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
For reasons I don't understand, I actually care which candidate wins this poll.
The polls don't close so there can never be a winner. As long as there is an ATMB, then the election goes on and on and on....
  #44  
Old 02-26-2019, 01:42 AM
Teuton's Avatar
Teuton is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Plymouth, UK
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I voted only because it's not a public poll.
Who did you vote for?
  #45  
Old 02-27-2019, 01:47 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 81,794
Test post:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripley_(crater)


EDIT: Never mind, I thought for a moment that the parenthesis bug was fixed.

Last edited by Chronos; 02-27-2019 at 01:48 PM.
  #46  
Old 03-02-2019, 10:50 PM
Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 40,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
Who did you vote for?
The better candidate, of course.
__________________
Everything happens for a reason. But sometimes the reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.
  #47  
Old 03-03-2019, 12:52 PM
Wrenching Spanners is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: London
Posts: 109
Spoiler Test

SPOILER:
Emily Mortimer
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017