Old 02-08-2020, 06:24 AM

McMillions on HBO

Documentary in 6 parts on how McD monopoly game was a scam from 1989 to 2001. Small group won all the big money. Very good show. Mondays at 10. This Sunday is part 2.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

This does look like an interesting doc, but 10 episodes? That seams way over the top. I feel like they should be able to adequately cover the subject in 2 hours or less.

I'll give the first episode a go though.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:18 AM

It's only six episodes. Who's saying it's ten?
Old 02-08-2020, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
It's only six episodes. Who's saying it's ten?
Nobody but the guy who hadn't had his coffee yet apparently.

My mistake.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:01 AM

The first episode was great, there is also a companion podcast to the series.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

If you're interested in the story itself, you might want to read this article from The Daily Beast, which is where many of us first heard the story. BTW, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck bought the rights to the Daily Beast story, with the intention of making a big-screen adaptation.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:21 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

I have not seen this one yet but sometimes having a forum like Netflix where documentaries can do an entire season instead of a two hour movie is detrimental. Too many suffer from lack of editing because they are not forced to cut it down. It makes me hesitant to start documentary series.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:29 PM

The documentary's a little slow, but Agent Matthews is enough of a character himself to make for enjoyable viewing.

pah, pah, puh, pah, pah, I'm loving it.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:29 PM

yes I think they don't need 6 episodes 3 or 4 should be enough. episode 1 does explain why it went on so long. I will put it in a spoiler box

SPOILER:
Marketing head of security was the ringleader
Old 02-09-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
If you're interested in the story itself, you might want to read this article from The Daily Beast, which is where many of us first heard the story. BTW, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck bought the rights to the Daily Beast story, with the intention of making a big-screen adaptation.
I read (more or less) that article. It ran on far too long itself and I started skimming. Can't imagine watching a >1 hour documentary on it. (Despite it having local interest.)
Old 02-09-2020, 09:00 AM

I don’t know if I can stand Agent Matthews for six episodes.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:11 PM

Since this is an HBO show which male character will get naked first?
Old 02-09-2020, 01:21 PM

i knew about this even before it hit the news my brother was the manager of a majorly placed mc'ds in Indiana when it went down ....

when they did the blink and you missed it sting op he called me to tell me dont worry about playing it since they were testing something and it wasn't a real contest that time

The funny thing was tho i wonder if they'll cover the things mcds its self got in trouble over like what they would do is specifically make it so you couldn't get the whole set without going around the country and then say you traded pieces with someone so the prize was voided as the wrote a "no trading rule"

Its one reason along with the scam they just do scratch off pieces now

Last edited by nightshadea; 02-09-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:29 AM

another very good episode Monday with an interesting twist to the story

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 02-13-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

I take back what I said earlier. This doc is WAY better than I thought it was going to be.

I would NOT want to be friends with Agent Mathews but he is a hoot to watch on the TV. lol
Old 02-13-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I have not seen this one yet but sometimes having a forum like Netflix where documentaries can do an entire season instead of a two hour movie is detrimental. Too many suffer from lack of editing because they are not forced to cut it down. It makes me hesitant to start documentary series.
Itís HBO.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I take back what I said earlier. This doc is WAY better than I thought it was going to be.

I would NOT want to be friends with Agent Mathews but he is a hoot to watch on the TV. lol
Yes, he definitely keeps things interesting. Liked the part where the grandfather is sweating bullets trying to tell his "story" of how he won and Agent Matthews is just poking at him the whole time.

Jaime
Old 02-13-2020, 09:16 AM

they tried to interview another FBI agent who was very involved but he turned them down. It was very funny how that one winner was sweating like mad during the interview
Old 02-13-2020, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer J. Fudd View Post
I donít know if I can stand Agent Matthews for six episodes.
He reminds me of someone.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:06 AM

Still good but I don't think they need 6 episodes to tell the story. There is a lot of filler that is not needed
Old 02-21-2020, 12:03 PM

These people are completely devoid of any moral compass. It's shocking to me.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:58 PM

this week's episode was very good. It seems a million bucks can make a lot of people forget their morals . I guess we will find out what happened to everyone in the last episode in 2 weeks.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Is episode 5 out? My wife and I got bored with 4 and didn't finish. It seemed to have drifted too far from the McDonalds story. We'd had enough of the mobster's wife, and while we were glad the little boy survived the car wreck, we didn't see why we were being introduced to him as an adult. Then it seemed to go even farther into the weeds.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:28 AM

they did not spend a lot of time on the kid who grew up. I agree they could have cut that out. I could look up the story and see what happened but I can wait until the last episode to find out.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:30 AM

There is a companion podcast that comes out the next day that is interesting. They did a further interview with the guy who cashed in the ticket his foster father had given him. They also answer viewer questions on the show.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:11 PM

I guess uncle Jerry did not talk to them or they are saving him for the last episode. Or maybe he is also 6 feet under.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:58 AM

Last night they talked to Uncle Jerry's son and the ringleaders got arrested. And the FBI sent a confidential fax to a newspaper by accident.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:39 AM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Itís HBO.
Thatís why I used the word ďlike.Ē I wasnít clear enough. The success of documentary series on Netflix have led to many more on other platforms. Iíve found that the freedom to make it into a multi-episode series rather than being confined to a 90 minute or less movie has led to some being in dire need of some editing. I donít want to wade thru three episodes of background to get to the story. Wild Wild Country suffered from this.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:35 PM

Making a murderer was very good but it did not need 10 hours. After about episode 6 they had already told the whole story.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:04 PM

Dont F**ck With Cats was an interesting story that could have been a single episode rather than three.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:56 PM

I saw the first episode and thought:
  • They're really dragging this out
  • Are they going to go the whole first episode and not explain what the scam thing was at all
  • I really respect the lead investigator who didn't want to participate
  • Agent Mathews is an intolerable buffoon
  • Yeah, one episode is more than enough. Maybe I'll look up the scam on Wikipedia one of these days

Not my thing.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
And the FBI sent a confidential fax to a newspaper by accident.
That cracked me up!

But then I spent an inordinate amount of time wondering why any FBI office would have any newspaper on speed dial, let alone why a Florida field office would have a South Carolina paper on speed dial...
Old 03-04-2020, 01:51 PM

yes that is a good question about the media on speed dial for the fax. The FBI sends out press releases like many other government agencies. Maybe the fax machine was in a SC FBI office previously? That's the only thing I can think of .
Old 03-04-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
The FBI sends out press releases like many other government agencies.
I imagine that those are sent from a press/communications office, not a field office. Swapping a SC comms office fax machine and a FL field office fax machine would be a bigger faux pas than the mis-sent fax, IMHO.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:44 PM

somebody somewhere used that machine to fax the Greenville paper since the number was on speed dial list. maybe they explain it in the podcast
Old 03-04-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
That cracked me up!

But then I spent an inordinate amount of time wondering why any FBI office would have any newspaper on speed dial, let alone why a Florida field office would have a South Carolina paper on speed dial...
I would assume that before the internet was as prevalent as it is today, the FBI would frequently distribute things like mugshots and composite sketches of suspects to the media; so if there was a prison break, for example, the FBI could quickly send descriptions to TV stations and get it on the air immediately.

Last edited by madmonk28; 03-04-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
I would assume that before the internet was as prevalent as it is today, the FBI would frequently distribute things like mugshots and composite sketches of suspects to the media; so if there was a prison break, for example, the FBI could quickly send descriptions to TV stations and get it on the air immediately.
OK, that makes sense. But a FL field office with a SC paper on speed dial still flummoxes me.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:03 PM

I listened to this episodes podcast and it doesn't give any more info on the faxing screw up, but it does have an interview with the guy that Agent Matthews was tasked with arresting. He's a pretty funny guy. The producers also said that they are in talks with Agent Matthews to develop another production.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tildrum View Post
Is episode 5 out? My wife and I got bored with 4 and didn't finish. It seemed to have drifted too far from the McDonalds story. We'd had enough of the mobster's wife, and while we were glad the little boy survived the car wreck, we didn't see why we were being introduced to him as an adult. Then it seemed to go even farther into the weeds.
This is where I'm at. I'm a little over half-way through the 4th episode and I am ready to just turn it off and move on to something else.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:31 PM

A lot of the side stories are setting up red herrings for the final reveal of the informant.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
This is where I'm at. I'm a little over half-way through the 4th episode and I am ready to just turn it off and move on to something else.
Episode 5 picks up, when the endgame starts to fall into place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misnomer View Post
I suspect that they just garbled what happened. Agent Matthews would have been in the Greenville FBI office at that time because his task was to arrest Dylan Baker (of Greenville). In other words, he wasn't faxing the instruction packet to the Greenville FBI office, he was faxing it from there, and he just pushed the wrong button on the speed dial. And yes, I think the FBI has a very close relationship to the press.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:56 PM

Pretty sure Matthews arrested the older guy in Florida who had a gated house and they had to lure him outside the gate to arrest him. That was the guy who already did a prison stint but I don't think they ever said how much time he did. BTW Matthews is still an FBI agent now.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Pretty sure Matthews arrested the older guy in Florida who had a gated house and they had to lure him outside the gate to arrest him. That was the guy who already did a prison stint but I don't think they ever said how much time he did. BTW Matthews is still an FBI agent now.
Ah, I must be misremembering. I thought Baker was the guy behind the gate.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:22 PM

Baker was the guy who went to the airport after his sister in law and the FBI was worried he was going to whack her since she took all the money without giving him any. She did eventually give him and his wife money. And he was the guy who gave a ticket to his foster son who was also on the show.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

The foster son guy is full of shit if he thinks that he is innocent. I am sure that he didn't know the truth about the tickets but he thought that he was screwing a soon to be ex-wife out of a lot of money and then keep some of it for himself. How is that not fraud?
Old 03-10-2020, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
The foster son guy is full of shit if he thinks that he is innocent. I am sure that he didn't know the truth about the tickets but he thought that he was screwing a soon to be ex-wife out of a lot of money and then keep some of it for himself. How is that not fraud?
Absolutely. There's not a judge in the country who hasn't dealt with fraudulent conveyances during nasty divorces. Happens all the time and it's always bad. That's why "fraudulent" is right there in the name.

After watching the last episode I'm really impressed (but not surprised) at the lengths these people go to in order to continually justify their shitty behavior.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:22 AM

most of the people admitted their guilt. They only mentioned 3 people doing time , Jerry, Robin and the gated house guy. I wonder if other people went to prison. I guess the IRS and FBI don't get along or something went wrong there. Also wonder how/where Jerry hid the money and how hard the gov. looked for it .
Old 03-10-2020, 07:13 AM

I'm listening to this episode's podcast and they are interviewing the prosecutor. He mentions that about 53 people were charged and that some of the winners won thinks like jet boats, corvettes and jet-skis. I think most of those people got probation and had to make restitution. They also played a deleted scene in which it is revealed that Mathews tried to wear his gold suit to the trial, but when he got to the courthouse, he was told to "go home and change out of that shit."
Old 03-10-2020, 07:35 AM

Of 53 only 7 went to trial but 2 of those changed to take a plea deal. 5 went to trial and it seems all were convicted. The foster son won his appeal but he only got probation anyway. I guess the other 4 probably got probation too.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:40 AM

Yeah, if I remember from the episode last night, Jerry got 3 years, the former drug dealer got a year and so did Connie, everyone else got probation or some form of house arrest.

Last edited by madmonk28; 03-10-2020 at 07:41 AM.