Old 11-15-2018, 12:05 AM

The strange "b" word bipartisan has been a thing lately with the First Step Act, proposing surprisingly progressive reforms like ending the “three strikes” policy mandating life in prison for third-time drug offenders and adds incentives for low-risk inmates..
Whenever I see the name Koch my -meter goes up, and the act's name, "First Step", (well to me, anyway) has ominous overtones of future steps that might not be as reasonable as this one. Hopefully those suspicions will eventually be proven wrong.
Then again, it'll be another thing to get the FSA past the Senate and Turtley McTurtleface, who apparently feels there's bigger priorities.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
b) If you are the type of person who has to be told skipping the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI would be a PR nightmare, then that is yet more proof you do not and never have deserved to be president.
Could have been worse; imagine if he'd been president forty years ago during the Bicentennial celebration.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Could have been worse; imagine if he'd been president forty years ago during the Bicentennial celebration.
Oh, I think he would have loved that. All those big, huge parades with millions of people cheering and smiling and service people dressed up marching and tanks and fireworks!

Of course he would have thought it was for him and not the birth of our country.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Whenever I see the name Koch my -meter goes up, and the act's name, "First Step", (well to me, anyway) has ominous overtones of future steps that might not be as reasonable as this one. Hopefully those suspicions will eventually be proven wrong.
Then again, it'll be another thing to get the FSA past the Senate and Turtley McTurtleface, who apparently feels there's bigger priorities.
Now that you mention it: there was a Koch spokesman on PBS NewsHour last night discussing the bill...and I kept waiting for Judy Woodruff to ask "what the hell do the Koch's care?" but she dropped the ball.

So, what is the Koch's interest in criminal justice reform?
Old 11-15-2018, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Imagine if he'd been there when Columbia burned up on re-entry, talking about how the pieces fell across "three of the states I carried"....
Old 11-15-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Disgusting but hardly surprising.

a) If you did not foster an atmosphere in which your aides were afraid to approach you with any information, any at all, that has the slightest chance of annoying you, then mabe they would tell you.

and

b) If you are the type of person who has to be told skipping the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI would be a PR nightmare, then that is yet more proof you do not and never have deserved to be president.
Bolding mine. Seriously. This is just more proof of what a dumb fuck he is.

"Eh, Mr. President, no stomping on kittens and strangling puppies might garner you some support of a... fringe element, but overall, it will look pretty bad".
Old 11-15-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Imagine if he'd been there when Columbia burned up on re-entry, talking about how the pieces fell across "three of the states I carried"....
Before the debris even hit the ground, we'd probably be seeing a Tweet something like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Donald J. Trump that lives in my head
There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly space shuttle crashes except that NASA management is so poor. Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the space program. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments! SPACE FORCE!
Old 11-15-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Now that you mention it: there was a Koch spokesman on PBS NewsHour last night discussing the bill...
here at 1:10...(it wouldn't let me do an edited link)

Quote:
Hope I'm way off base in speculating that the "Second Step" will have something to do with some kind of large-scale for-profit re-structuring.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
here at 1:10...(it wouldn't let me do an edited link)

Hope I'm way off base in speculating that the "Second Step" will have something to do with some kind of large-scale for-profit re-structuring.
Of course. Private prisons and forced labor.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

You don't have to. You can sit in your cell, hoping someone will send you some money so you can buy a bag of Cheetos. Though it very well may be that such service will enhance your chances for parole. They can't actually tell you that, that would be wrong. But it may.

(Gotta wonder how the "real" firefighters, trained and experienced, feel about this.)
Old 11-15-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Blue Wave panic, apparently. They've been scared that metastasized robber-baron capitalism might actually generate some serious democratic pushback if they don't throw a few crumbs of social justice policy to the huddled masses.
Quote:
With 2018’s midterm elections looming [as of last January] with plenty of pitfalls for Republicans, much of the three-day retreat for donors near Palm Springs focused on civil society programs. “Let’s be frank right upfront: These elections are going to be brutally tough,” Americans for Prosperity CEO Emily Seidel told guests. “So what are we going to do about it? We’ve never faced a challenge like this one.”

So many of the most enthusiastic conversations stemmed from conversations about how the Koch-backed network could change communities.

“I hate to quote Hillary Clinton, but it takes a village,” said Jill Lynch, whose family owns an Iowa agriculture firm.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:44 PM

It is just that Koch Industries is losing too much talent to the Justice system.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

How long until we see Failing Donnie put on a performance like this?
Old 11-15-2018, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
How long until we see Failing Donnie put on a performance like this?
About negative-two years, I'd say.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

It strikes me that the difference between Captain Queeg and Failing Donnie is that Captain Queeg eventually realised how he sounded.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:09 AM

I am becoming a fan of Kellyanne Conway's husband:

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-shits...ustice-1219567
Quote:
Attorney George Conway described the Trump administration as a “shitshow in a dumpster fire” as a reason for why he did not take a post in the Justice Department last year and explained why he decided to form a group of conservative lawyers to defend the constitution.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:24 AM

Donald Trump will not be rid of this meddlesome reporter: the White House must return Acosta's press credentials. A lawsuit by CNN against the White House can also go forward. I'll be eager to see what federal courts think of the doctored video. Seems pretty strong evidence of slander or libel (whatever's the correct legal label); Trump and SHS could be in serious legal trouble over that.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/nation...D6F70EFFF7F48A

Last edited by Toxgoddess; 11-16-2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Neener neener neener!
Old 11-16-2018, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxgoddess View Post
Seems pretty strong evidence of slander or libel (whatever's the correct legal label)
Libel and Slander are defamation. Libel is written, and slander is spoken.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Libel and Slander are defamation. Libel is written, and slander is spoken.
So what does video count as?
Old 11-16-2018, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Speaking of demands for civility: A performance of Fiddler on the Roof was disrupted by a patron yelling "Heil Hitler! Heil Trump!".
Old 11-16-2018, 01:00 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxgoddess View Post
So what does video count as?
It's libel. The defamation is published, so it's libelous.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Trump is giving the medal of freedom to Babe Ruth, Elvis, and Scalia. They must be looking for deceased people to honor who don't have the capability to turn him down.

Next year, perhaps we should look forward to the honorees including George Washington, Christopher Columbus, and maybe Cleopatra. The deader the better?
Old 11-16-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Trump is giving the medal of freedom to Babe Ruth, Elvis, and Scalia. They must be looking for deceased people to honor who don't have the capability to turn him down.

Next year, perhaps we should look forward to the honorees including George Washington, Christopher Columbus, and maybe Cleopatra. The deader the better?
Caligula, Al Capone and Bonnie and Clyde.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Trump's role models.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Trump's role models.
-Carnac the Magnificent
Old 11-16-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Why not Jesus?
Old 11-16-2018, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

My money is on Jesus.

Edit: :shakes fist:

Last edited by JohnT; 11-16-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:38 PM

But all Jesus does is maintain the Mar-A-Lago grounds for the least legal amount of money.

Trump only rewards people who pay him (obviously not the dead people listed) like Miriam Adelson. https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...his-ncna937121 or to score brownie points from the GOP like Orrin Hatch.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:

I think Trump should give the award to God, and call for the arrest of The New York Times during the speech.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
My money is on Jesus.

Edit: :shakes fist:
No way! Big time commie cuck! Have you ever READ anything that guy wrote?!
Old 11-16-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymage View Post
Trump only rewards people who pay him (obviously not the dead people listed) like Miriam Adelson. https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...his-ncna937121 or to score brownie points from the GOP like Orrin Hatch.
From Elections:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Trump to honor donor’s wife with presidential award

The AP has largely stopped fucking around when writing stories and headlines about Trump and his supporters.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Speaking of demands for civility: A performance of Fiddler on the Roof was disrupted by a patron yelling "Heil Hitler! Heil Trump!".
Why on earth would an anti-Semite pay to see Fiddler on the Roof? Since he got tossed, I hope he and his girl had the $150 front row center tickets.

Last edited by DesertDog; 11-17-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:44 AM

House Democrats should let Trump build the wall.

Make a deal. Universal Healthcare for a great big, beautiful wall, complete with "TRUMP WALL" in huge gold letters across the top at every mile marker. This could completely consume his attention for the final two years of his presidency. There could be a live video feed of construction and Donnie could sit on the oval office floor in his diaper and play along with his toy building blocks.

The damn thing could be torn down later. Hell, just let them build a few miles and that should keep the drooling moron happy. Tie up the rest of the project in lawsuits and logistical snafus. And there could be add-ons down the road: in exchange for re-entering the Paris Agreement, Congress could declare little Donnie "Border King" and provide him with a uniform and hat. The uniform would come with medals, of course. The best medals.

Winning!
Old 11-17-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
House Democrats should let Trump build the wall.

Make a deal. Universal Healthcare for a great big, beautiful wall, complete with "TRUMP WALL" in huge gold letters across the top at every mile marker. This could completely consume his attention for the final two years of his presidency. There could be a live video feed of construction and Donnie could sit on the oval office floor in his diaper and play along with his toy building blocks.

The damn thing could be torn down later. Hell, just let them build a few miles and that should keep the drooling moron happy. Tie up the rest of the project in lawsuits and logistical snafus. And there could be add-ons down the road: in exchange for re-entering the Paris Agreement, Congress could declare little Donnie "Border King" and provide him with a uniform and hat. The uniform would come with medals, of course. The best medals.

Winning!
That's not actually a bad idea. The caravan people could be hired to do the work at $15/hour.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
You mean by the Trump hater:
Quote:
The Maryland man who interrupted a performance of “Fiddler on the Roof” Wednesday night to yell, “Heil Hitler, Heil Trump!” has said he is now “so embarrassed and ashamed and disgusted” with his own actions.

Anthony Derlunas, 58, apologized profusely Friday during an interview on his front porch with WBAL-TV 11, a local NBC affiliate.

He explained that he was frustrated with President Donald Trump and that his shout was intended to compare Trump to Adolf Hitler. A scene in the musical ― a wedding interrupted by czarist Russian police ― had reminded him of Trump.
(bolding mine)
Old 11-17-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Why on earth would an anti-Semite pay to see Fiddler on the Roof? Since he got tossed, I hope he and his girl had the $150 front row center tickets.
See link in my post immediately above. The guy was not an anti-Semite, he was a Trump hater.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:55 AM

Of course he wasn't a Trump supporter. He didn't shoot anybody.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan01 View Post
See link in my post immediately above. The guy was not an anti-Semite, he was a Trump hater.
I think it's fair to say that anyone who shouts "Heil Hitler!" is being anti-semitic, whatever their motives. Maybe they're very stupid as well, but that's a pretty damn anti-semitic thing to do.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
I think it's fair to say that anyone who shouts "Heil Hitler!" is being anti-semitic, whatever their motives. Maybe they're very stupid as well, but that's a pretty damn anti-semitic thing to do.
Maybe. But it appears that's not the case. If you clicked on the link you'd see that he appears to have other motivation. Much like some of the hate crime hoaxes on campuses.

Last edited by magellan01; 11-17-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Maybe. But it appears that's not the case. If you clicked on the link you'd see that he appears to have other motivation. Much like some of the hate crime hoaxes on campuses.
I'd say he appears to be highly confused, such that I'm less than convinced his explanation afterwards is any more trustworthy than his calls to "Heil" Hitler and Trump.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 11-17-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I'd say he appears to be highly confused, such that I'm less than convinced his explanation afterwards is any more trustworthy than his calls to "Heil" Hitler and Trump.
Maybe if he had yelled "Heil Trump!" he'd have made his point more effectively.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
... The guy was not an anti-Semite, he was a Trump hater.
Fuckin shit this is funny. I'll let you guess why.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Maybe if he had yelled "Heil Trump!" he'd have made his point more effectively.
He actually did... or am I missing a whoosh?
Old 11-17-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Fuckin shit this is funny. I'll let you guess why.
Oo! Oo! Mr. Kotter! Oo oo oo!
Old 11-17-2018, 01:14 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
That's not actually a bad idea. The caravan people could be hired to do the work at $15/hour.
I thought about that listening to NPR this morning. Trump was quoted as saying, "Maybe the Democrats will change their minds."
Old 11-17-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Apparently he was highly ethylated at the time.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

So he got shitfaced, as one does when attending the theater.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Quite seriously: Roy Cohn will almost certainly be suggested by Trump. (Or may already have been. It would be a suggestion that Trump's handlers would try to distract him from pursuing, for obvious reasons.)
Old 11-17-2018, 06:04 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Benedict Arnold, Aaron Burr, and Nathan Bedford Forrest would be more apt.

Last edited by Colibri; 11-17-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:00 PM

This is some pretty compelling analysis from our ultra-liberal friends over at kos. They are saying that Mike Jesuspance has moved himself to KB7 in preparation for the collapse of his boss, or, failing that to run the show from behind the green curtain.

This is a troubling, if not unexpected, turn. If Jesuspance gets his hands on the tiller, we will be in a world of shit, because, after years of shitgibbonry, he will look sane and rational by comparison – not to us, but to far too many of our fellow citizens. And, AAUI, he comports himself well when facing competition at the lectern.

I can imagine the Rs seeing him as their hope for staying in the WH for a decade, seeing as how incumbents have the, uh, incumbent-advantage; all he has to do is hold off for two months and change and he can run for the office twice.

Of course, we saw how well the incumbent advantage-worked for LBJ, so there is that. And, given how the Rs are pounding spikes into the economy, even 2020 may be a dim hope for them, because the advantage evaporates under the spread of pessimism (the economy does not actually have to be bad, it just has to seem to be headed toward decline).

I certainly do not want even 6 months of Jesuspance, but, brace yourself, it may well be closer than we would hope.