Old 02-16-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
That's funny. The cynic in me says that this is totally staged too.
Same here. It's bullshit, pretending to be "independent and impartial" In short, another lie.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
That may come, in due time. Possibly, he’s currently afflicted with a delusion that we’ve seen play out wrt so many of the America-hating fuckstick’s past appointees: the belief that HE will succeed in tempering the fuckstick’s predilection for outrageous behavior.
No, I don't think that is his intent at all.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
I purchased two Scanga Meat (local company) tenderloins yesterday. Very $ but worth it as we only don't do steak that often. I don't bother with anything else from the grocery store or wherever.
I hate you so, so much right now.

I planned on making spaghetti today, dammit, but somewhere in the back of my freezer is a London Broil, to be unearthed and thawed at room temperature on a special occasion, seared with a dollop of real butter, seasoned with something to be determined after careful contemplation---but definitely freshly-ground----and eaten with from-scratch mashed potatoes.

Oh, and if you want your stuff to keep, I found these things called Rubbermaid Brilliance, which are air tight and keep your frozen stuff in excellent shape.

Dammit, my stomach's growling.

I'm going to have to bake fresh bread for the garlic bread to get the steak out of my mind.

And it may be petty, but when I heard how Trump eats his steaks, it was the last little bit of confirmation what a raging cretin he really is.

Christ, my stomach is growling so bad at the thought of that steak I think I scared the cat.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
I hate you so, so much right now.

I planned on making spaghetti today, dammit, but somewhere in the back of my freezer is a London Broil, to be unearthed and thawed at room temperature on a special occasion, seared with a dollop of real butter, seasoned with something to be determined after careful contemplation---but definitely freshly-ground----and eaten with from-scratch mashed potatoes.

Oh, and if you want your stuff to keep, I found these things called Rubbermaid Brilliance, which are air tight and keep your frozen stuff in excellent shape.

Dammit, my stomach's growling.

I'm going to have to bake fresh bread for the garlic bread to get the steak out of my mind.

And it may be petty, but when I heard how Trump eats his steaks, it was the last little bit of confirmation what a raging cretin he really is.

Christ, my stomach is growling so bad at the thought of that steak I think I scared the cat.
The one that died last week?
Old 02-16-2020, 10:53 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
[Moderating]
Did you not see how that thread ended?

Knock it off.
[/Moderating]
Old 02-16-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
I have more than one, cuntflap, which you'd know if you were anything BUT a troll like those others.

Go pick your dingleberries off.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:12 PM

Barr's attempts to drive a stake through the heart of law and order is beginning to attract attention. Over 1000 former DOJ officials, from both Republican and Democratic administrations, call on him to resign. That's got to hurt a bit. Hopefully.

I'm thrilled that the outcry is building. It's our only hope.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:13 PM

I saw this article from Nov, 2016 mentioned on CNN's Brian Stelter's Reliable Sources show (clip):

10 Ways to Tell if Your President Is a Dictator

Quote:
But if you live in the United States, what you should really worry about is the threat that Trump may pose to America’s constitutional order. His lengthy business career suggests he is a vindictive man who will go to extreme lengths to punish his opponents and will break a promise in a heartbeat and without remorse. The 2016 campaign confirmed that he has little respect for existing norms and rules — he refused to release his tax returns, lied repeatedly, claimed the electoral and political systems were “rigged” against him, threatened to jail his opponent if he won, among other such violations — and revealed his deep contempt for both his opponents and supporters. Nor does he regret any of the revolting things he did or said during the campaign, because, as he told the Wall Street Journal afterward, “I won.” For Trump, it seems, the ends really do justify the means.

To make matters worse, plenty of people in Trump’s camp appear to believe America is now under siege from a coalition of liberal elites, people of color, immigrants of all sorts, and shadowy foreign influences. They also understand demography is not on their side: The Republican Party has lost the popular vote in six of the last seven presidential elections (Bush in 2004 was the exception), and the percentage of older white Americans that forms the GOP base will continue to decline. This situation will tempt some of them to use any and all means to hang on to power, justified by their (mistaken) belief that the country must be “saved” from all these alleged enemies.

1. Systematic efforts to intimidate the media.
2. Building an official pro-Trump media network.
3. Politicizing the civil service, military, National Guard, or the domestic security agencies.
4. Using government surveillance against domestic political opponents.
5. Using state power to reward corporate backers and punish opponents.
6. Stacking the Supreme Court.
7. Enforcing the law for only one side.
8. Really rigging the system.
9. Fearmongering.
10. Demonizing the opposition.
That article was written just after the election. Here's the author's update from a couple of days ago (It may be pay-walled. I had to open it up in an incognito tab.):

Trump Is Failing His Dictatorship Test

After impeachment, the president has been passing most of the checkpoints on the way to authoritarianism.

Quote:
Now that Trump has been acquitted by a Republican-controlled Senate that couldn’t even be bothered to interview any witnesses with personal knowledge of his possible high crimes and misdemeanors, it seems appropriate to revisit my list once again. Spoiler alert: There are some flashing red lights on the dashboard.

At this stage in Trump’s presidency, some may argue that concerns about the parlous state of American democracy are overblown. After hearing repeated warnings that Trump is a threat to the country’s constitutional order and being told over and over that “this is how democracy dies,” one might be tempted to see pessimists as Chicken Littles who keep repeating that the sky is falling. If one takes that view, then the warning signs listed above might seem alarmist. But the key point to remember is that healthy democracies don’t sicken and die overnight; they collapse gradually, from a thousand tiny cuts, each of which seems inconsequential at the time. That is what Donald Trump is doing, aided and abetted by the once proud Republican Party. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Death by a thousand cuts? That might be a good description.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxgoddess View Post
Barr's attempts to drive a stake through the heart of law and order is beginning to attract attention. Over 1000 former DOJ officials, from both Republican and Democratic administrations, call on him to resign. That's got to hurt a bit. Hopefully.

I'm thrilled that the outcry is building. It's our only hope.
I just came in to post this. I'm thrilled, too.

We need to do everything we can to support them and others who raise this alarm. If there are protests organized, I plan to attend them. I called Josh Hawley's office to leave a message for the Senate Judiciary Committee to investigate Barr and have written emails to both my Senators and my House representative to organize efforts to call on Barr to resign.

The only thing that is going to work at this point is public pressure. A lot of it.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
I just came in to post this. I'm thrilled, too.

We need to do everything we can to support them and others who raise this alarm. If there are protests organized, I plan to attend them. I called Josh Hawley's office to leave a message for the Senate Judiciary Committee to investigate Barr and have written emails to both my Senators and my House representative to organize efforts to call on Barr to resign.

The only thing that is going to work at this point is public pressure. A lot of it.
I sent an email to Hawley. Hoping all this helps. I want Barr opened up and exposed. There's way too much dirt someplace. I have a gut feeling that his ridiculous religious fantasies and helping Trump are conflicting his supporters. Corner Barr and make him spill it.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I sent an email to Hawley. Hoping all this helps. I want Barr opened up and exposed. There's way too much dirt someplace. I have a gut feeling that his ridiculous religious fantasies and helping Trump are conflicting his supporters. Corner Barr and make him spill it.
So good to hear. And yes, it does help.

When I called Hawley's office yesterday, I had to let the phone ring for about 3 minutes before I could leave a message. I was told they were experiencing a "very high volume" of calls, which was the reason for the delay. I was delighted to learn this.

What Barr is doing is breaking the law, openly and repeatedly. His failures to comply with lawful Congressional subpoenas and summons for witnesses from his DOJ are crimes. His Giuliani back channel is extremely irregular and must be explained. His lying to the American people about what was in the Mueller report violates his oath and makes him unfit to hold his office. Carrying out his personal religious agenda also makes him unfit for the office he holds. His efforts to muscle his prosecutors for particular outcomes in pending criminal cases is immoral, entirely contrary to the principles of equal justice for all and strike at the very foundation of the rule of law. He has to go. The only way to force that is to bring sufficient pressure to bear on our Congressional representatives.

Even if Trump/Senate Republicans protect Barr through the November election, we have to make them all nervous enough to curtail his abuses to the greatest extent possible until then. They hate it when we're paying attention.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
What IS IT with some Nazis? They just have a certain look. I think with Miller it's the dead eyes.
Matt Gaetz looks like an evil astronaut.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
After impeachment, the president has been passing most of the checkpoints on the way to authoritarianism.
It's not just the president, though. Trump is absolutely behaving like an authoritarian, as are members of his administration - there's no question about that. But he's getting crucial help from Mitch McConnell and the rest of the party, and it's the absence of a competition for power by the legislative that makes Trump dangerous. It's the contempt for constitutional norms and the propensity for conspiracy theories that makes the right dangerous.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:31 PM

"How Trump is closing America"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/immig...dfb_story.html
Quote:
As he rallies support for his reelection in November, President Trump is closer than ever to delivering on his promise for a United States with taller walls, tighter immigration laws and fewer foreigners entering the country.

During the past three years, the president has hardened the nation’s immigration system into an obstacle course of physical and bureaucratic barriers, causing illegal border crossings to plummet and legal immigration to slump.

The number of refugee admissions to the United States fell to the lowest level on record last year, and this year the administration set the refugee cap even lower, reserving just 18,000 spots for people who are fleeing persecution across the globe. The Trump administration also is blocking asylum seekers at the U.S. southern border and flying them instead to Guatemala or sending them back into Mexico.

Other visitors are being turned back or staying away entirely: foreign students and tourists are coming in fewer numbers, according to the latest State Department data, and green cards issued abroad since 2016 have dropped 25 percent.
Give me Fuck your tired, your poor... Are you "yearning to breathe free"? Fuck you, too.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:15 PM
Luminary

Here is some news which should reassure us that that the US armed forces will not support Trump's march toward authoritarianism.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mari...-mattis-2020-2

"Shortly after his being sworn in, Trump boasted that "my generals ... are going to keep us so safe."

But during his presidency, Trump's generals have slowly fell by the wayside, many of them resigning because their views were not "aligned" with his. The tepid resignation letters from these high-profile military officials evolved into a more pronounced denunciation, with some being outspoken in their opposition against Trump's policies."

It gets even better. Have a look.

Last edited by Mr. Duality; 02-16-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Duality View Post
Here is some news which should reassure us that that the US armed forces will not support Trump's march toward authoritarianism.

"Shortly after his being sworn in, Trump boasted that "my generals ... are going to keep us so safe."

But during his presidency, Trump's generals have slowly fell by the wayside, many of them resigning because their views were not "aligned" with his. The tepid resignation letters from these high-profile military officials evolved into a more pronounced denunciation, with some being outspoken in their opposition against Trump's policies."

Those jobs get filled by somebody. They're replaceable.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
"How Trump is closing America"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/immig...dfb_story.html

Give me Fuck your tired, your poor... Are you "yearning to breathe free"? Fuck you, too.
The world's intellectual talent starts thinking of other places to call their new home. And who's going to pay for programs like SS and Medicare - our current generation of meth and opioid addicts? They'll die by the time they're 50.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:00 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:

That's a professional writer? "Have slowly fell"?
Old 02-16-2020, 09:42 PM

Brad Parscale posted an image Air Force One taking off from behind the stands at the Daytona 500 and bragged about Individual 1 winning the Daytona 500. He deleted the image after it was reported by multiple people that the photo was taken in 2004.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/16/p...to/index.html?
Old 02-16-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:

So you think that by having the people who oppose Trump resign, that makes it less likely the military will now be led by people who will follow his orders?

I admit I'm not following your logic here.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Brad Parscale posted an image Air Force One taking off from behind the stands at the Daytona 500 and bragged about Individual 1 winning the Daytona 500. He deleted the image after it was reported by multiple people that the photo was taken in 2004.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/16/p...to/index.html?
Hey; what's one more lie between friends, amirite?
Old 02-16-2020, 10:25 PM
Luminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
So you think that by having the people who oppose Trump resign, that makes it less likely the military will now be led by people who will follow his orders?

I believe they are the tip of the iceberg. There must be many intelligent officers with firm grips on reality and situational awareness who also oppose Cadet Bonespurs' actions.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I believe they are the tip of the iceberg. There must be many intelligent officers with firm grips on reality and situational awareness who also oppose Cadet Bonespurs' actions.

O rly? Are you sure you've been living in this reality with the rest of us for the past 3 or 4 years?
Old 02-16-2020, 10:43 PM
Luminary

I know from 4 years of personal experience in the Marine Corps that there is an intense focus on obeying orders immediately and without question, but it is emphasized that any illegal order is an exception. That goes for both officers and enlisted personnel. When USMC Generals start to publicly air dissatisfaction, you had better believe they are in earnest and they are supported by many in the ranks.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:

I believe (and I have been wrong in my beliefs in the past) that the military promotes from within, based on recorded qualifications. The WH/CiC generally (npi) have minimal input in the promotion process and, more importantly, a naturally limited pool of candidates. I suspect that it is really difficult for CadetBS to put his own carefully selected persons in the upper ranks.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I don't mean to besmirch the honor of the military, but consider that the department of state isn't different from the military. The DoJ isn't that different. Yes, different in terms of their mission but the major agencies have honor codes and all that. It's all next man up kinda stuff.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I know from 4 years of personal experience in the Marine Corps that there is an intense focus on obeying orders immediately and without question, but it is emphasized that any illegal order is an exception. That goes for both officers and enlisted personnel. When USMC Generals start to publicly air dissatisfaction, you had better believe they are in earnest and they are supported by many in the ranks.
I do not share your confidence at all. I think that you relying on past impressions to form your present opinion is a bad idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
I believe (and I have been wrong in my beliefs in the past) that the military promotes from within, based on recorded qualifications. The WH/CiC generally (npi) have minimal input in the promotion process and, more importantly, a naturally limited pool of candidates. I suspect that it is really difficult for CadetBS to put his own carefully selected persons in the upper ranks.
I don't think he has to; I think opportunism is enough.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-16-2020 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:47 PM
Luminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I don't mean to besmirch the honor of the military, but consider that the department of state isn't different from the military. The DoJ isn't that different. Yes, different in terms of their mission but the major agencies have honor codes and all that. It's all next man up kinda stuff.
eschereal is correct and you are wrong. Another difference (which has been pointed out elsewhere on this board but I can't remember where) is that the military is several large logistics organizations with very sharp points. If a significant fraction of personnel were to stop doing their jobs, the whole behemoth will grind to a halt.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

Heck, I object just on the basis of rejecting the concept that Donald Trump ever carefully selects anything.

Well, maybe carpet and wallpaper swatches, but that's it.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
eschereal is correct and you are wrong. Another difference (which has been pointed out elsewhere on this board but I can't remember where) is that the military is several large logistics organizations with very sharp points. If a significant fraction of personnel were to stop doing their jobs, the whole behemoth will grind to a halt.
I seriously doubt it. Sure, if everyone quit at once, that would be a problem, but that's not what's happening. It's attrition - as I said, next man up.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:01 AM

Just like Evil Goatee Chekov said...
Old 02-17-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I do not share your confidence at all. I think that you relying on past impressions to form your present opinion is a bad idea.

I don't think he has to; I think opportunism is enough.
It comes down to human nature. The military is an institution, one run by people. Institutions can change over time. Their cultures can change. They can be corrupted. They can be influenced by politics. There are bad apples. There are people who put personal ambitions and ideology over the broader principles that are supposed to define what the institutions stand for (Michael Flynn, anyone?).
Old 02-17-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
There are people who put personal ambitions and ideology over the broader principles that are supposed to define what the institutions stand for (Michael Flynn, anyone?).
Like I said: opportunists.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-17-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Heck, I object just on the basis of rejecting the concept that Donald Trump ever carefully selects anything.

Well, maybe carpet and wallpaper swatches, but that's it.
Not even that. That’s why he made Ivanka.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:56 AM

Another example of Trump's ignorance:

Trump wanted CIA to kill bin Laden's son over other high-priority targets: report

Quote:
President Trump wanted the CIA to kill Osama bin Laden’s son Hamza bin Laden over other high-priority targets, NBC News reported Sunday.

Intelligence officials reportedly briefed Trump on the top terrorist threats during the first two years of his presidency, including al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri, who remains alive. But the president would ask about Hamza bin Laden.

"He would say, 'I've never heard of any of these people. What about Hamza bin Laden?'" one former official told NBC News, with another Pentagon official saying it was “the only name he knew.”

Former CIA official Douglas London said the president had an “obsession” with getting Hamza bin Laden, adding in a JustSecurity.com article that the agency did recognize the “value” in his “name recognition.”

"Despite intelligence assessments showing the greater dangers posed by Zawahiri … and the unlikelihood Hamza was in the immediate line of succession, the president thought differently," London wrote. "He regularly demanded updates on Hamza and insisted we accelerate our efforts to go after him."
Trump apparently does national security based on Q-score, so to speak.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
...who pays someone else to do it and then takes all the credit, like with her handbag designs.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Be my little baby....woh oh oh oh ooohhhh
Old 02-17-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Donald John Trump will follow anything his dick runs into. Doesn't matter that he is too stupid to understand what a gold digger is. Doesn't matter one bit.

He's a moron that can't think beyond where his next hamberder is coming from. That is the president of the USA.

We know the facts above to be true.

Republicans don't care as long as they can somehow get a payoff.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Evil Chekov did not have a goatee. And he was not nearly as evil as evil Sulu (who was also cleanshaven).
Old 02-17-2020, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Evil Chekov did not have a goatee. And he was not nearly as evil as evil Sulu (who was also cleanshaven).
It looked like evil Sulu got shaved too close, truth be told.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB View Post
Be my little baby....woh oh oh oh ooohhhh
Ddamn! That does work, doesn't it?
Quote:
Thanks for the correction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatner
Get a life.

(sorry; I can't find the Shatner SNL skit on YouTube atm.)

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 02-17-2020 at 03:33 PM. Reason: fixed coding
Old 02-17-2020, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatner
Get a life.

(sorry; I can't find the Shatner SNL skit on YouTube atm.)
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmagzq
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUL7q8eyig8
Old 02-17-2020, 04:47 PM

You totally fucking rock, Johnny L.A.!
Old 02-17-2020, 07:16 PM

Evil Spock didn't have a goatee either; it's a van dyke.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:26 PM

I think we should all enjoy watching a certain person take one of his golf carts and use it to re-enact what the actor who played Chekov 2.0 did with the Jeep. No stunt doubles.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
It comes down to human nature. The military is an institution, one run by people. Institutions can change over time. Their cultures can change. They can be corrupted. They can be influenced by politics. There are bad apples. There are people who put personal ambitions and ideology over the broader principles that are supposed to define what the institutions stand for (Michael Flynn, anyone?).
All this is true. But it appears that Trump's handlers aren't counting on the traditional military to provide muscle for harassing "the wrong" people at polling places, keeping demonstrators fearful and few, etc. He's building up ICE and associated border-patrol forces:

Quote:
Trump administration to deploy Border Patrol officers to sanctuary cities
Feb. 14, 2020, 6:24 PM EST
By Laura Strickler and Daniella Silva
The Trump administration will deploy 100 tactical Border Patrol officers to work with Immigration and Customs Enforcement in 10 so-called sanctuary cities across the nation, a senior official with the Department of Homeland Security said Friday.

The decision to deploy the officers comes after the administration has recently repeatedly targeted sanctuary cities that limit cooperation with immigration enforcement authorities.

... CBP typically detains people along the border, at airports and ports of entry, and has broader authority when operating within 100 miles of a U.S. border, while ICE conducts immigration arrests in the rest of the country.

... "For three years, the administration has systematically empowered and expanded Customs and Border Protection’s authority, including by ramping up CBP’s budget," [ACLU official Naureen Shah] said. "Now, far beyond the border, CBP agents are attempting to circumvent local law enforcement to police the nation with zero accountability.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...ities-n1137261

Only one hundred now, but as people get used to having Trump's private forces encamped in their cities, the numbers can be increased.

There's really nothing they can't be counted on to do in Trump's interest---which can't really be said for the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard, who are (from Trump's point of view) far too interested in following traditions of non-involvement in civilian affairs. (Though perhaps the Space Force might be more amenable to breaking heads for Trump; we'll have to wait and see on that one.)

Additional information on the build-up of ICE and CBP in the new White House budget:
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...illions-112860

Last edited by Sherrerd; 02-17-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Something just occurred to me. I'm wondering if the emphasis on intimidating Hispanic voters might not be bolstered by them believing their own bullshit. Like they're scaring away all the illegal voters that went for Hillary and cost Il Douche his landslide popular vote victory.

Could they be that fucking stupid? That they are sincerely in pursuit of an enemy they made up in the first place?
Old 02-17-2020, 11:37 PM

No, really, he failed to get into a war with Iran, so his plan is to ramp the country up toward internal violent conflict, in the hope that he will get re-elected as a wartime leader.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:33 AM
Luminary

Quote:
I seriously doubt it. Sure, if everyone quit at once, that would be a problem, but that's not what's happening. It's attrition - as I said, next man up.
We are not talking being killed or disappearing. We are talking not doing their jobs. A work slowdown, perhaps.
Use your imagination.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
Another example of Trump's ignorance:

Trump wanted CIA to kill bin Laden's son over other high-priority targets: report
Trump apparently does national security based on Q-score, so to speak.
This is entirely unsurprising, and actually evidence of Trump's ignorance, (which is not to say that his complete ignorance didn't play a role). To think that Trump would act otherwise is to misunderstand what motivates Trump's policy. Going after the high value targets recommended by the intelligence community only makes sense if your goal is to make America safer. This is not at all Trump's goal. Keeping thing a little dicey abroad helps keep up the fear and Xenophobia that keeps him in power. No what matters is pandering to his ignorant base. Killing off some high ranking ISIS commander Ailbabyboobystan, whose name no one can pronounce let alone recognize isn't going to do much for him. On the other hand killing off another Bin Laden, that that is the sort of thing that is going get the crowd frothing at the mouth at his next rally.

Quote:
Well, broad culture wise the military does seem to be turning away from Trump.

49.9% of the military have an unfavorable view of Trump, (45.1% very unfavorable) compared to 41.6% that have a favorable view (24.3% very favorable). Among the officers its even worse with only 33% of officers having a favorable view. So I don't see a military dictatorship in Trump's near future.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 02-18-2020 at 11:24 AM.