Old 10-11-2019, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
BUT. When you have an idol that is good for only two Tribal Councils, and you know people suspect you have an idol, and you know your name has been brought up... Just how dumb do you have to be to go home with the idol in your pocket??? I kind of liked Vince, but I can't really feel sorry for him.
Yeah. Why NOT play it?
Old 10-11-2019, 10:41 PM

Yeah, there's no way I don't play it.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:53 AM

Right. If you can save it as long as you want, I can see the temptation to wait until you are closer to endgame. But in this scenario, the only possible justification is if you have a strong reason to believe you will be more vulnerable next time than you are this time. It’s not even clear, by the way, if it is valid for the next two times he goes to Tribal Council, or just the next two times Tribal Councils are held. If the latter, it’s even dumber not to play it but it’s plenty dumb already. Did he give any reason in his exit interview?
Old 10-12-2019, 11:13 AM

Boston Rob said the HII was "good for your next two Tribal Councils"

Vince left the IotI in total daylight (and no, but didn't get to the other tribe in "pitch black".

Long Boat Ride?

Last edited by notfrommensa; 10-12-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
I was kind of glad they gave him credit for the ashes.
It is very likely that the filming crew confirmed that there was no fire. Vince bringing back the ashes showed creativity under stress, which is really what the test was about.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
BTW, are you a Minnesota Vikings fan, or is your name just a coincidence?
Nah, I just loved this in Arrested Development.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:20 AM

Ah, okay. I asked because the Star Tribune's Vikings podcast most weeks features a "Chicken Fingers statement of the week" from a Vikings fan who tends to tweet memorable zingers.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Yeah, there's no way I don't play it.
I'm starting to sense a theme for this season.

The booting of Noura from the competition was a wonderful treat. A wonderful treat with a stone cold delivery.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:47 PM

Noura’s cover story was so idiotic, she would’ve been better off just saying “Hey guys, can I be the caller? Just because...”

Last edited by jsc1953; 10-17-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:02 PM

Nobody said it out loud, but I'm wondering if Noura's tribe thought that there was an immunity idol hidden somewhere at the challenge, and Noura wanted to be the caller so she could get it. So they booted her from the challenge completely so she would have no opportunity to find it.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:38 AM

Noura has crazy eyes.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Nouraís cover story was so idiotic, she wouldíve been better off just saying ďHey guys, can I be the caller? Just because...Ē
Yes, she should have just pushed hard to be the caller.

No way this show does not tell them to try to keep Rob and Sandra secret. It's clear that is happening.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:08 AM

Yeah, it’s weird they don’t make it clear the Rob and Sandra are a secret. It’s obvious.

Last edited by madmonk28; 10-18-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Nobody said it out loud, but I'm wondering if Noura's tribe thought that there was an immunity idol hidden somewhere at the challenge, and Noura wanted to be the caller so she could get it. So they booted her from the challenge completely so she would have no opportunity to find it.
I think that's what I would've thought too. I love how quickly they saw through her BS.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
I think that's what I would've thought too. I love how quickly they saw through her BS.
There was so much wrong with her ďstoryĒ. The main one in my eyes is that she was promising a benefit to the tribe without clearly spelling out what that was. Sheís not well liked anyway. Bullshit story, might have an idol, donít like your bitching around camp... yeah, youíre not calling. Plus she proved she sucked at it in practice.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
There was so much wrong with her ďstoryĒ. The main one in my eyes is that she was promising a benefit to the tribe without clearly spelling out what that was. Sheís not well liked anyway. Bullshit story, might have an idol, donít like your bitching around camp... yeah, youíre not calling. Plus she proved she sucked at it in practice.
I would've laughed my ass off if she had been made the caller, they lose, and she gets voted out. The "extra vote" or "block a vote" advantage is only good if you have an alliance to work with.

On the other side, I was disappointed with Sandra's comment about Elaine not having any idea what's going on at tribal. An experienced player like her should be able to see the difference between someone actually not knowing what's going on (like Dean) and someone just pretending.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I remember feeling like the alliance deal was an unfortunate subversion of the spirit of the game. Now I canít imagine the show without alliances.
Alliances never bothered me because I enjoy watching them crumble. And they always crumble.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
Alliances never bothered me because I enjoy watching them crumble. And they always crumble.
Speaking of which, the all-women alliance has done a pretty good job of taking out their own allies.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, itís weird they donít make it clear the Rob and Sandra are a secret. Itís obvious.
It's not a rule but they suggest it.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, itís weird they donít make it clear the Rob and Sandra are a secret. Itís obvious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
It's not a rule but they suggest it.
They've got to break the dam eventually. I'm guessing at the merge everyone will know.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:35 PM

Noura is getting the Bat-shit Crazy edit. Remember Ben "Coach" Wade, Special Agent Phillip Shepard, and Debbie (dozens of occupations) Wanner?

They all stayed for a long time in their first season. I think we will see Noura stick around for awhile. I hope so, she is great entertainment.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:16 PM

Noura spinning that yarn was hilariously awful. So fishy, of course sitting her out was the thing to do.

She really did give them an advantage though. Being ready for a challenge like that is pretty handy and I wonder if they would have come up with that killer "stick together at first" strategy if they hadn't had time to think it over.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
She really did give them an advantage though. Being ready for a challenge like that is pretty handy and I wonder if they would have come up with that killer "stick together at first" strategy if they hadn't had time to think it over.
That did seem a little unfair since they're just flipping back and forth between tribes for Island of the Idols. It should have been more vague like "You have to make yourself the leader for the next challenge."
Old 10-18-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:

Good point. Or just short-circuit whatever she was scheming.

Not often you see someone get so openly and aggressively thwarted like that. Sheís lucky they won the challenge.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:15 PM

The whole Noura saga, from the moment she set foot on IotI, was hilarious. I don't even think the editors had to work too hard to make it hilarious.
Often I root for the crazy people to be voted off, as they can be annoying or even painful to watch. But Noura seems like a harmless brand of crazy, and is quite entertaining. I hope she sticks around for a while. I could even see her making it all the way to the end as somebody's goat.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:24 PM

They should aim either for goat or to be voted off before making the jury, because they have burned her as far as voting for anyone on that tribe at the end.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
Noura is getting the Bat-shit Crazy edit. Remember Ben "Coach" Wade, Special Agent Phillip Shepard, and Debbie (dozens of occupations) Wanner?

They all stayed for a long time in their first season. I think we will see Noura stick around for awhile. I hope so, she is great entertainment.
I mention this I every Survivor thread, but I want a season to be all returning players who were crazy, call it Goat Island.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I mention this I every Survivor thread, but I want a season to be all returning players who were crazy, call it Goat Island.
Who will be on it? Phillip the Federal agent, Coach, Noura....who else?
Old 10-19-2019, 03:53 AM

Yeah, Noura, Coach, Philip and Reem from last season. Then there was Russel Hanz' nephew who creeped everyone out so much they voted him off without going to tribal. It would probably only be interesting for a couple of episodes, then you'd feel bad for watching.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:00 AM

Missed the edit, but also Erik the ice cream scooper.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:30 AM

Erik wasn’t crazy, just foolish.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Erik wasnít crazy, just foolish.
Stupid is entertaining, you have to have a mix of crazy and stupid on Goat Island.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Noura, Coach, Philip and Reem from last season. Then there was Russel Hanz' nephew who creeped everyone out so much they voted him off without going to tribal. It would probably only be interesting for a couple of episodes, then you'd feel bad for watching.
Iíd love to see Goat Island and all those crazies but Iíve had enough of coach to last me a lifetime.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:37 AM

Yeah, I’m kind of done with Coach, too. There are all kinds of crazies that we forget about, more than enough for a season. Remember Shambo? It takes obliviousness and confidence to really be a Survivor nut.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:20 AM

Only way I can understand the Tom vote is that the ex-Vokai (purple) were worried he was too connected to his old Lairo (orange). Janet did say as much... but I don't see it making much sense. Tom isn't that much better than Karishma, but I'd still rather get rid of her and have a chance at some challenges instead of taking the Ls and just hoping I'll make the merge (since there's still probably 3-4 votes left before the merge). Or maybe I'm just mad because I totally had Tom pegged as "old guy who everyone likes but never wins a challenge and gets voted out with 5 or 6 remaining."

Noura's out-of-nowhere cackling at TC was hilarious.

Almost no Rob and Sandra this week with the merge.

Also, Applebee's fucking sucks (and this is coming from someone who eats at way too many chain restaurants). I already didn't care for Karishma but she managed to dig herself an even deeper hole if it's really her favorite sit-down restaurant. I mean, I know that after being on the island for awhile anything will taste like manna from heaven, but c'mon. "Applebee's... after being on an island eating rice for three weeks, you'll eat anything!"

Last edited by magnusblitz; 10-24-2019 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:35 PM

Not only were Rob and Sandra pre-empted by the Applebee's ad, there didn't appear to be a clue or an advantage hidden on the reward trip.

Karishma lives in Houston, Applebee's may be the best in that town.

If they insist on showing female wrestling, does it really need to be Elaine?
Old 10-24-2019, 03:07 PM

Elaine is adorable! ( we share a body type ) lol Dean and Kelly have mutual friend?!? his old girlfriend of 6 yrs what!!!
Old 10-24-2019, 08:13 PM

Noura's laugh reminds of one of Jerry Seinfeld's girlfriends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJv4p8voUwo
Old 10-25-2019, 01:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post

Also, Applebee's fucking sucks (and this is coming from someone who eats at way too many chain restaurants). I already didn't care for Karishma but she managed to dig herself an even deeper hole if it's really her favorite sit-down restaurant. I mean, I know that after being on the island for awhile anything will taste like manna from heaven, but c'mon. "Applebee's... after being on an island eating rice for three weeks, you'll eat anything!"
Yeah, and if she is a lawyer, and Applebees is her fave, something's wrong.

Applebees is only the fave of people who want better than Denny's and cant afford Outback.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:40 AM

I usually am sympathetic with players who are clearly on the outs, but in Karishma's case, it's so deserved. I mean, Cochran sucked at physical challenges, but he could do puzzles. And he was witty and self-deprecating, which helped redeem his shortcomings.

Karishma sucks at ALL the challenges, she is lazy around camp, AND she does nothing but whine about how she's an outcast. Please let her go home.

And I don't understand why team after team continues to vote off strong players ahead of people who suck in challenges. The goal now should be to bond with players and win challenges so that your team has the advantage post-merge.

I think the Sandra/BostonRob mentor thing is pretty much a bust. I guess that somebody thought it'd be a good idea to have these two around to provide commentary, but I cannot believe that they are paying them to provide such gems as, "I love Noura." and "Way to go, Dean."

Last edited by PunditLisa; 10-25-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunditLisa View Post
I think the Sandra/BostonRob mentor thing is pretty much a bust. I guess that somebody thought it'd be a good idea to have these two around to provide commentary, but I cannot believe that they are paying them to provide such gems as, "I love Noura." and "Way to go, Dean."
Absolutely. It's obvious the goal was "bring back Rob & Sandra...without them actually playing" and they worked backwards from there. This is the best they came up with, and it's really weak.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:45 AM

Anyone else wondering how things went at the Karishma household Wednesday night after her admission that she's in a loveless marriage and wants to change?

Last edited by muldoonthief; 10-25-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Anyone else wondering how things went at the Karishma household Wednesday night after her admission that she's in a loveless marriage and wants to change?
Me and my wife wondered that aloud.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Only way I can understand the Tom vote is that the ex-Vokai (purple) were worried he was too connected to his old Lairo (orange). Janet did say as much... but I don't see it making much sense. Tom isn't that much better than Karishma, but I'd still rather get rid of her and have a chance at some challenges instead of taking the Ls and just hoping I'll make the merge (since there's still probably 3-4 votes left before the merge). Or maybe I'm just mad because I totally had Tom pegged as "old guy who everyone likes but never wins a challenge and gets voted out with 5 or 6 remaining."
Tribal line wise, it had to be Tom, Dean or Karishma. Dean was on alert having been blindsided at last tribal. Karishma knowing her dire situation made it known she was flipping, ďjust let me know who to vote forĒ. Tom was a threat to return to his old tribe after the merge and he was confident so completely unaware he might be a target. Also any good survivor player knows you donít take likeable people to the end - you take unlikeable ones (remember Phillip?).

From a viewers perspective Tom might seem an odd choice but from Vokaiís it makes perfect sense.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
And then you hit the middle seasons where you can win some Pizza Hut Pizza at the Charmin Toilet Paper Lounge while calling your loved ones on a Motorola Razr, brought to you by Cingular.
My time machine worked!

Quote:
Only way I can understand the Tom vote is that the ex-Vokai (purple) were worried he was too connected to his old Lairo (orange). Janet did say as much... but I don't see it making much sense. Tom isn't that much better than Karishma, but I'd still rather get rid of her and have a chance at some challenges instead of taking the Ls and just hoping I'll make the merge (since there's still probably 3-4 votes left before the merge).
Honestly, losing out might not be the worst strategy. The other tribe is 4-4, and they don't know what's going on over there. If they win, the other tribe might end up knocking out a bunch of old Vokai. If they lose the next two, getting rid of the old Lairo, it would be a better post-merge situation.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:10 PM

That was Rob Cesterninoís take, and I agree.

Quote:

Yeah, Stephen Fishbach speculated that she assumed that conversation would not make it to air because it was not about strategy. But she canít really complain, thereís a camera right there and she has to know anything she says could potentially be broadcast to millions of people on TV.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:33 PM

Oh, and fuck Applebees. I was once served raw in the middle chicken there, and the manager gave me a hard time about refunding the meal, because I had already eaten about a third of it before discovering the raw part. He seriously wanted to take the remaining portion back to the kitchen and let them finish cooking it. Before cell phones, so I couldn't take a picture and email it to the Board of Health on the spot.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Honestly, losing out might not be the worst strategy. The other tribe is 4-4, and they don't know what's going on over there. If they win, the other tribe might end up knocking out a bunch of old Vokai. If they lose the next two, getting rid of the old Lairo, it would be a better post-merge situation.
That was my thought exactly. It seems odd to deliberately weaken your tribe by keeping Karishma, but the downside of continuing to lose is severely reduced by having two "easy votes" in Dean and Karishma. Especially when you know there is a decent chance that winning a challenge actually costs your original tribe a member (depending on how the 4-4 split goes down). Really odd dynamic that put Tom in a very tough spot.

Also the game has really moved to a "vote out anybody that is even remotely a threat as soon as you can" mentality. An unfortunate side effect being folks like Karishma and Noura (and to some extent Dean who hasn't shown himself to be particularly astute) stick around far longer than they "should".
Old 10-25-2019, 12:39 PM

It's too bad someone with the "no vote" disadvantage didn't end up on the 4-4 team. That would've been an interesting wrinkle.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
It's too bad someone with the "no vote" disadvantage didn't end up on the 4-4 team. That would've been an interesting wrinkle.
Sort of. I donít believe anyone but her knew it though.