Old 11-04-2019, 06:05 PM

Who's Next for me, followed closely by Highway 61 Revisited and Zappa's Hot Rats. One of my fondest memories is my younger son, then 10, coming to the basement and asking "want to listen to Who's Next with me?"
Old 11-04-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
I could make a case for Bringing It All Back Home over Highway 61 Revisited, although it's great against great.
For me, The Freewheelin Bob Dylan', Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde On Blonde and Blood On The Tracks are Dylan's five masterpieces. They're all flawless works of awesomeness and deserve to be mentioned in a thread like this.

ETA: ok, I see, Freewheelin' would be disqualified because it's not really a rock album, though all the others are. But I leave it in for completeness.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 11-04-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:55 PM

As several others have said, the answer may vary from day to day...so I'll add another one that hasn't been mentioned yet: Rumours, by Fleetwood Mac. Their collective misery made for an absolutely fabulous group of songs.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:30 PM

At the moment: Supernatural by Santana

Awesome guitar playing with a range of styles: straight rock, funk, rap, world, etc.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:31 PM

If we are adding Zappa (genera "Bizarre music") into the mix I add Joe's Garage...Acts 1, 2 and 3

Don't get no jizzm on my sofa, sofa....
Old 11-05-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post

I’d add R.E.M.’s Lifes Rich Pageant for consideration,[...]
That's a very good album, R.E.M. had several great ones (Document, Murmur, Out Of Time, New Adventures In Hifi), but my choice would be Automatic For The People, IMHO the greatest album of the 90s. The first four and last three songs are all absolute gems, and the five songs inbetween are just a tad less beautiful than the rest.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Carl View Post
London Calling by The Clash. Every song is at least good. Some are great. Plus, it’s a double album.
This was my immediate, without-even-thinking-about-it choice. After giving it some time, ruminating on it for a while, considering other candidates... it remains my choice.

With The Pogues' If I Should Fall From Grace With God coming in a close second, though.

Last edited by Anamorphic; 11-05-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:12 PM

Personal preference: Yes's Tales from Topographic Oceans.. YMMV, and probably does.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:55 PM

For today, at least, I'm gonna go with Steely Dan's second effort, Countdown to Ecstasy. That one never gets old for me.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

Dark Side of the Moon was the first one that came to mind for me.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:38 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

I've been listening to the recently released Abbey Road 5.1 mix lately, so I'll pick that. There aren't many artists that go out on top with a work like that.

Last edited by blondebear; 11-05-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:48 AM

Pink Floyd: Animals
Old 11-06-2019, 02:10 AM

Songs from the Wood is an overlooked gem.

Never Turn Your Back on a Friend not only has no weak spots, the album title is delightfully ambiguous. But, lamentably, no one has heard of that band.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Born To Run

Absolutely perfect - the narrative, the wall of sound...everything.
Of course this is the correct answer.

Close second: 'Back in Black' AC/DC
Old 11-06-2019, 02:52 PM

My go-to answer is usually "Exile on Main Street", but Derek & The Dominos "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs" is right up there too...not a bad tune on that one either.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:03 PM

Many of mine have been sniped...but here are some that don't get enough love and I've recently rediscovered as feeling fresh as the day they were stamped...

Joe Walsh - Barnstorm
Cheap Trick - Dream Police
Social Distortion - Social Distortion
Old 11-06-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB View Post
Many of mine have been sniped...but here are some that don't get enough love and I've recently rediscovered as feeling fresh as the day they were stamped...

Joe Walsh - Barnstorm
Cheap Trick - Dream Police
Social Distortion - Social Distortion
This post reminds me again that this thread is a great inspiration for my playlist (or anybody's). Though I know most of the usual suspects mentioned, there are still white spots in my musical map. So I always wanted to check out Joe Walsh and Social Distortion, and this gives me a good hint at where to start.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:31 PM

I'm a huge VH and Zep fan, but I will go with a slightly different definition of Rock...

Outlandos d'Amour
Old 11-06-2019, 03:48 PM

Reaching forward a bit, I found Grave Dancers Union by Soul Asylum to be excellent all the way through. It has a quality I describe as “comfort music”, which does not mean that it is pleasant or inoffensive but that it evokes the sense of a bygone era, bringing some relief to these severely damaged present days.

And how could no one have mentioned A Space in Time by Ten Years After, which is solid as a rock.

Last edited by eschereal; 11-06-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Reaching forward a bit, I found Grave Dancers Union by Soul Asylum to be excellent all the way through. It has a quality I describe as “comfort music”, which does not mean that it is pleasant or inoffensive but that it evokes the sense of a bygone era, bringing some relief to these severely damaged present days.
I fondly remember that album, it's just like you described. It was the album of the month in Musikexpress and I bought it because of that review, not even knowing THE single "Runaway Train" or any other song. I hadn't even ever heard of the band before. But I remember that many people in the alternative scene (which just had begun to go massively mainstream after Nirvana's smash) hated it and cried "Sellout!", not remembering that countless earlier bands also had begun in punk and developed their music into something subtler later in their career.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 11-06-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:09 PM

They keep on bringing it down in YouTube, you might have to search for it, but David Bowie "Life at Santa Monica 1972" is the best bootleg rock and roll I have ever heard. Listen loud, specially "I'm waiting for my man", around 56'. Mick Ronson at his best. Of course the OP is right and there are not only no right answers, my answer could change a lot from one day to the next. There are days where I would consider even Leonard Cohen to be rock. That is my answer today. Many other answers given ring a bell too. I fell in good company.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:53 AM

Told you my opinion might change: today I am for Dead Kennedys "In God We Trust Inc." Raw!
Old 11-07-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Yes. It is. Excellent tunes that album has.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:50 AM

Pretenders - self titled first album
Old 11-07-2019, 07:51 PM

Kinks
One for the road.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:25 PM

I thought this was decided - Tonio K. - Life in the Food Chain - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHUGpYrl8Tc
"Steve Simels at Stereo Review proclaimed it "the greatest album ever recorded".
Tonio K. was/is Steven Krikorian. See wiki for a biography.

Another one that will rock with out a lot of love -
Captain Beyond - Thousand Days of Yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0v6yVow4tU
Old 11-15-2019, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsb View Post
I thought this was decided - Tonio K. - Life in the Food Chain - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHUGpYrl8Tc
"Steve Simels at Stereo Review proclaimed it "the greatest album ever recorded".
Holy crap, you weren't kidding.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:50 PM

Zeppelin IV or Wish You Were Here

Yes's Fragile & Beatles Abbey Road are strong contenders as are Dark Side of the Moon & Animals by Floyd and Crosby, Stills & Nash.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:31 PM

Always and forever my answer will be Quadrophenia.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:41 PM

I'd vote for Cream - Wheels of Fire, but they were a jazz trio.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:46 PM

Another vote for "Appetite for Destruction". Easily the best debut rock album of all time.

Audioslave, "Cochise". Now typically, when big names from different big bands team up to form a "supergroup", the results are underwhelming at best. Not here. No oversized egos, no selfishness, just bad ass music.

Metallica, "Master of Puppets". It's metal, not rock but who cares. It still rocks. This was back when Metallica was an actual heavy metal band. Not the Nickelback infused with Godsmack travesty they've been for the past few decades.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:49 PM

My experience with The Wall suggests that it ought not be overlooked. Yes, there is some material that is less excellent than some of the other material, but the entire album flows smoothly as a narrative from beginning to end. I felt that setting the album to a movie was a disservice to it.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:22 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Tull?

I had already typed:
"Thick as a Brick" not just for the song/album but also because of the entire package in vinyl. Best total package ever for me.

With "Heavy Horses" as my "overlooked" from their production.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardel-Lux View Post
They keep on bringing it down in YouTube, you might have to search for it, but David Bowie "Life at Santa Monica 1972" is the best bootleg rock and roll I have ever heard. Listen loud, specially "I'm waiting for my man", around 56'. Mick Ronson at his best. Of course the OP is right and there are not only no right answers, my answer could change a lot from one day to the next. There are days where I would consider even Leonard Cohen to be rock. That is my answer today. Many other answers given ring a bell too. I fell in good company.
I agree with all of this. My choice today is Allman Brothers At Filmore East. I can't stop listening to "Whipping Post". The only thing wrong is that album is missing "Jessica".
Old 11-16-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
I had already typed:
"Thick as a Brick" not just for the song/album but also because of the entire package in vinyl. Best total package ever for me.
I got my hands on an original edition that had multiple pages (it folded out about 3" at the bottom) and was browsing through the St. Cleve Chronicle & Linwell Advertiser on the train when someone asked me if that was a Jethro Tull album.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:12 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
I got my hands on an original edition that had multiple pages (it folded out about 3" at the bottom) and was browsing through the St. Cleve Chronicle & Linwell Advertiser on the train when someone asked me if that was a Jethro Tull album.

It was a total art package. If you read the whole thing it actually had some damn fine writing and thought behind it that mirrored the general themes of the song. I don't play much of my vinyl anymore and didn't keep much ----- but that is one that will never leave this house while I'm alive.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:43 PM

Moving Pictures is fairly perfect. But like the many Pink posts, most early Rush albums qualify.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:44 AM

^Yeah, I came in here to say that Rush's "A Farewell to Kings" has always been among my favorites. Something about the mix (?) sounds just right to my ears: sort of a clean and spacious quality.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:45 AM

NM, double post

Last edited by jerez; 11-17-2019 at 03:48 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:06 AM

As a teenager in the late 70s, I never really gave a crap about the Rolling Stones. I warmed up to them much later, but skipped the earlier albums that were "just" blues covers. I recently took to buying a Stones album a month on iTunes, starting with the first four (which I loved) and then skipping to Sticky Fingers, which I submit as my favorite rock album.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:15 PM

Neil Young's Live Rust.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:34 PM

I have to take issue with the "no clunkers" criterion for great albums. My favorite bands are the Smiths and R.E.M., and with about one exception (noted below), every one of their albums has a clunker or two. I just take them as the cost of doing business - many of their experiments failed (for me).

My selection: Murmur by R.E.M. Perfectly encapsulates the 80s alternative rock jangly guitar genre they (and the Smiths) led and perfected. It'll be my go-to genre until the day I die.

Other contenders: Wish You Were Here, Born to Run, OK Computer, The Smiths, and Blind (by the Sundays).
Old 11-18-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Abbey Road.
This. End of discussion.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

For Beatles, I would go with Revolver.

That said, my #1 and #2 rock albums of all time have remained steady over the past twenty years. Fairly different, but what they have in common is the sonic space they create. They are fairly "typical" critical darlings, so no big surprises here, but I think they're critical darlings for a good reason. So, it's a toss-up between The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds and My Bloody Valentine's Loveless.

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-18-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:49 PM

Gosh, so many people here are mentioning important albums. I am not a serious listener to serious music. I came to mention Innocent Man and the collection of Beatle’s covers, One.
Do you know a child in need?

Last edited by Paul in Qatar; 11-18-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:42 AM

Paul, I think you meant “Beatles hits,” not covers, unless there’s another One I’m not aware of.

And if we’re doing Billy Joel, The Stranger is my favorite. Though I’d hesitate to call him a rock artist — as our WordMan once said (or was it pulykamell?), he’s more a Broadway musical composer trying to do the rock thing.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Paul, I think you meant “Beatles hits,” not covers, unless there’s another One I’m not aware of.

And if we’re doing Billy Joel, The Stranger is my favorite. Though I’d hesitate to call him a rock artist — as our WordMan once said (or was it pulykamell?), he’s more a Broadway musical composer trying to do the rock thing.
Yeah, I'd go with The Stranger as well for Joel. I'm hardly his biggest fan (and it was either me or WordMan who came up with that characterization. I know I've used it on these boards, but I'm not 100% sure if I came up with it.) I was in the car the other day listening to the 97.1 HD2 station here in Chicago, which is a "deep cut" classic rock station, and they played "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" and it reminded me of how good and musically fun a song that is.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:56 AM

I find it difficult to pick an ablum because some albums may have a bunch of excellent songs. But not all the songs are excellent. I would prefer to ask for "best tracks" or "favorite tracks".

I never really appreciated Queen until that movie came out. But I found one song that I find to be one of the best ever. I would put it in a list of "Ten Best Songs of All Time". It is, "It's Late" by Roger May. If you have a sound system that will shake your windows when you turn it up loud, this track is great. It can be found on their album News of the World.

I never really appreciated Tom Petty until he died. But almost every album and every track he ever recorded is just superb. I found a new appreciation for his music after watching the film, "Running Down a Dream" that tells his history. A great film that helped me find a whole new appreciation of his music. I would have to include Tom Petty on a list of, "All Time Greatest Rock & Roll Musicians."

Sorry I can't choose specific albums. But I love most every track on The Cars debut album. Also true for The Doors.

Other artists have fabulous tracks. But I can't really point a finger at one entire album. Some fabulous tracks include:

Pink Floyd - See Emily Play, Arnold Layne.
David Bowie - Five Years.

Oh! Here is one album: Elton - Goodby Yellow Brick Road.
And one more track: Elton - Amoreena - from Tumbleweed Connection
Old 11-19-2019, 12:37 PM

Lots of great albums mentioned here. I can't do any better than to second (or third or fifth) Born to Run, Who's Next, and Blood on the Tracks.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

How about some love for Supertramp? Yeah, they got overplayed when "Breakfast In America" hit it big, but "Crime of the Century", "Crisis? What Crisis?", and "Even In The Quiestest Moments" are all solid albums.