Old 06-12-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
Tom and Hick. Mid 90's dreck from Disney.
I bet it was indeed.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:24 PM

Watched Wind River the other day. Pretty stupid movie, really. Don't waste your time.

Starts nowhere, moves slow, everybody kills each other than its over. The Tofu of movies.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:31 PM

Perfect Sense.

A love story in a world where people are losing one sense after another. The director made some unfortunate decisions and the cinematography is not the best, but the film still got to me.

Here is the ending when the last remaining sense is going away.

Last edited by wintertime; 06-12-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:22 PM

Tom and Huck. Mid 90's dreck from Disney.

hemm.

Last edited by Melbourne; 06-12-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:43 AM

Watched Small Apartments on Netflix

I want my money back.

Matt Lucas was wearing only a pair of tighty whities in every scene. This is a man who should be clothed from head to toe at all times.
They seemed to be going for weird and quirky, but it was only sad and kinda gross.

-God
Old 06-17-2018, 10:37 AM

Saw Ocean’s Eight at the CinePlex. I went in expecting a competent, nonsensical, Hollywood-style sequel, and that was delivered. B-minus grade.

The heist was absolutely unconvincing, but that was expected. Despite Ms. Ocean’s claim that the plan had been refined for five years until success was almost certain, the plan was an improvised, jerry-rigged mess. No big deal, par for Hollywood sequels.

However, the plan involved stealing irreplaceable historic artifacts, so I didn’t have much empathy for the criminals. The gang members were no better than slightly charming, and the script was low on good gags. I chuckled a couple times, and laughed once.

The comedic timing was generally impressive.

Last edited by Baal Houtham; 06-17-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:57 PM
SDSAB

My latest five:

Hercules
Pretty good animated Disney musical, although it takes a lot of liberties with ancient Greek legend. James Woods steals the show playing the villain Hades as a sleazy, cutthroat Hollywood-style mogul. Terrific production design, and good but most forgettable songs.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Disappointing superhero movie, as Spidey faces off against Electro, who wants to absorb all the electrical power in NYC, while trying to save his girlfriend.

Buena Vista Social Club
Wim Wenders-directed 1999 documentary about several aging Cuban musicians who enjoy unexpected public acclaim very late in life as their music is rediscovered and appreciated anew. Great music and some heartwarming moments.

Solo: A Star Wars Story
Average SW movie showing a young Han Solo as he loses and then finds his childhood sweetheart, meets and befriends Chewbacca, and faces off against the Empire, interstellar gangsters and a very suave Lando Calrissian.

The Incredibles
Still my favorite Pixar movie, a fun, clever, exciting film about a superhero family and their various adventures. Outstanding cinematography and one great action sequence after another. I saw it again to have it fresh in my mind before seeing the long-delayed Incredibles 2.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:20 AM

Wanted something light and choose the romcom Set It Up mainly since it had Lucy Liu and Taye Diggs (as the "B couple").

There's "light" and then there's "mostly vapor". A few okay things here and there, but a lot of predictable stuff, crappy dialog, etc. They did a nice touch near the end with a bit unexpected thing. But still ended poorly.

You could teach a Bad Screenwriting 101 seminar using this.

The two "A couple" leads do a poor job. Zoey Deutch is at best a Hallmark Movie actress. Glen Powell's not even that.

One odd thing: Tituss Burgess is notably listed as being it. But it's practically a cameo. He plays a building security guard watching camera monitors and doing stuff. I think it was intended to be a much bigger role: We were supposed to see things develop from his point of view. But it almost all got cut.

Rating: 1/2 of the crappiest looking pizza you ever saw in a movie.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:21 AM

I recently watched CHIPs on HBO Now. Wow. What a mess. It's a fun movie at points but it makes little sense. There is broad slapstick mixed with a more subtle pathos and the two make for a weird movie to begin with, but the editor must have been on a NyQuil binge when he cut this together. There are individual scenes that are rendered unintelligible by editing let alone the pace of the entire movie. And then there's the weird sub-plot of Poncherello's sexual addiction, which, as far as I can tell was only there for a few crude jokes.

This was a Dax Shepard passion project - he wrote, directed and starred in it. Apparently it was originally written as a broad more family friendly mega-blockbuster kind of thing, but with lessened funding they went to Fuck-Bomb R. Not that I prefer PG-13 movies over R movies, but I think that move sent this movie off the cliff.

I recommend, only because I did laugh at a few times (Shepard and Michael Pena are funny, what can I say?), but please only view it with a scowl on your face.

Then there's Volunteers, with Tom Hanks and John Candy, one of the funniest movies ever. I'd have to put this in my top five of movies enjoyed/watched/pet favorite kind of thing.

The scene where Lawrence Bourne III arrives in Thailand, says, "Jesus H. Christ, we must be a mile from the sun," refuses the lei from the old guy and then learns he's stuck there and begs John to let him go home send me into hysterics every time. It's the subtle humor that gets me the hardest.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:11 PM

First up, Keep the Change. The remake to full length of a short film of the same name.*

The only actor in it you've likely heard of is Jessica Walter. For a reason. Most of the cast are actors on the autistic spectrum (or otherwise non-neurotypical) playing people like themselves.

Plot: a guy with issues is required to go to a AS support thing, meets people, meets one in particular, etc. The lead female is played by Samantha Elisofon who does an especially notable job.

Highlights a lot of day-to-day and long term issues AS people go thru. What is going to happen to them as the parents get to old too care for them, etc.?

A quite good film but I must caution you that it can be difficult to watch at times seeing the struggles the characters (and therefore the cast) have to deal with.

* Remaking a short into a feature length film, and often keeping the cast, happens from time to time. E.g., Cashback.

------------------------

And now a movie that should have gone the other way: Where is Kyra? with Michelle Pfeiffer and Kiefer Sutherland.

Pfeiffer/Kyra and her mother are struggling to get by and things get worse.

It is well-reviewed but note that the reviews generally focus on Pfeiffer's performance.

The film has issues. It is filmed is very poor light almost all the way thru. The "soundtrack" is unbelievably bad. And it is incredibly slow paced. The movie just drags.

While Pfeiffer does indeed do a great job, there isn't enough varied material to fill the movie. So you see her doing the same thing over and over and over.

In short, unlike the above film, this should have been turned into a short film instead.

For Pfeiffer-Kiefer completists only.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:18 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
...Then there's Volunteers, with Tom Hanks and John Candy, one of the funniest movies ever. I'd have to put this in my top five of movies enjoyed/watched/pet favorite kind of thing.

The scene where Lawrence Bourne III arrives in Thailand, says, "Jesus H. Christ, we must be a mile from the sun," refuses the lei from the old guy and then learns he's stuck there and begs John to let him go home send me into hysterics every time. It's the subtle humor that gets me the hardest.
I like it best when he first gets on the plane and all these earnest young Peace Corps volunteers are singing folk songs, and he says, with resignation, "So this is Hell."
Old 07-01-2018, 11:16 PM

Just the latest ones:

Sicario: Day of the Soldado- The first movie, Sicario, was a tight little border noir/action picture that took the audience into unexpected territory. This one is a by the book action picture. It has the usual charismatic performance by Benicio del Toro and moves along quickly. If you like actioners, then this will be down your alley, provided you can live with some major "suspension of disbelief" turns in the plot. I enjoyed it for what it was, but I probably won't remember it in a couple of months.

Uncle Drew- The major surprise in this picture is that Kyrie Irving can actually act and plays comedy pretty well. The picture is one of those fluff comedies with a plot you can write down before you sit down, but it has a few laughs and the cast is game, so not a bad way to escape the summer heat.

Leave No Trace- The second narrative feature by Debra Granik, the director of Winter's Bone. It is an astonishingly good film that sneaks up on you, never taking the characters the expected way. The best stories are about specific people and circumstances, yet relate to the human condition in deep ways. This is one of those stories, beautifully shot and paced, with great lead performances. As with Lean On Pete earlier this year, this movie takes what could be a cliched, by the books indie plot and turns it on its head and shakes out a genuinely novel feelings and actions. Definitely makes this year's list and I expect will be in the conversation during awards season.

Won't You Be My Neighbor- A documentary on Fred Rogers. Not suspenseful, not polemic, and no deep secrets revealed, but it is a reminder that there are people in this world who are simply stated, genuinely good people. I defy you, even if you are not a Mr. Rogers kid, to not leave with more moisture in your eyes than you walked in with. (In fact, this movie should replace the battery of tests for sociopathy. If someone doesn't respond to viewing this film, they can officially be declared to be a sociopath, it's the only possible explanation.). I'm glad I saw it and I recommend everyone see it if they have the chance, but it is one of the few films I'd say is going to be just as effective on the small screen as the big screen.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:58 PM

Yesterday I watched the Netflix original ARQ - I thought it was decent but you can't really go by me, as it's a time-loop story and that's one of my two favorites (the other is the "who am i?" story with amnesiac lead, my first such story being "Nine Princes in Amber" at an impressionable age).

That bias aside, what impresses is something you don't often see in American sci-fi, a reliance on writing rather than effects. The movie takes place in a few rooms, so minimal sets, and has only 6 characters, one of whom is dead for over half the movie. It probably cost less to make than an episode of Sense8 or Seinfeld.

Today I caught Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, which I found sort of meh. Sort of annoyed that I saw it, as I would have liked to see Superfly or Tag but they're doing so poorly that there were no matinee showings for one and the other is already gone after just a couple of weeks.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:29 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

I've been stuck at home for the last week. My watchlist has included The History of The Eagles, Living in the Material World, Running Down a Dream, Annihilation, Evolution, and right now I'm watching The Mist.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

I watched The Hurt Locker two days ago. Never saw it before.

Meh. I'm struggling to figure out how she won the Oscar™ for Best Director for this mess.

I'm a camera operator and so hand-held footage does exactly zero to impress me with how "authentic" it is.

I'd give it 3.5 stars outa 5.

What's the big fuss?
Old 07-05-2018, 09:56 PM

Beatriz at Dinner. A masseuse (Selma Hayek) is forced by car trouble to stay for dinner with her mover&shaker client, including a Trump-like mogul (John Lithgow). OK, not bad...I would've have like to have seen it become a study in the discomfort of class distinctions, rather than a broad attack on corporate environmental malfeasance, but I wasn't asked for input into the script.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
I've been stuck at home for the last week. My watchlist has included The History of The Eagles, Living in the Material World, Running Down a Dream, Annihilation, Evolution, and right now I'm watching The Mist.
...and your quick take on those movies was what?
Old 07-06-2018, 09:15 AM

I started Rampage with Dwayne The Rock Johnson the other day. Holy crap that sucked.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:48 AM

Just watched Coco on Netflix. It was Disney, so of course I cried. And it was beautiful. I mean, you could watch it with the sound off and it would be a work of moving art. Liked it much better than Inside Out, which was O.K. but I don't get all the accolades.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Just watched Coco on Netflix. It was Disney, so of course I cried. And it was beautiful. I mean, you could watch it with the sound off and it would be a work of moving art. Liked it much better than Inside Out, which was O.K. but I don't get all the accolades.
That movie (Coco) makes me weep.

I watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World for the first time last night. I don't do drugs, but now I feel like I know what it feels like

I also watched The Full Monty- I thought I had seen it before, but literally nothing sparked any memories, so I apparently had not. I rather enjoyed it.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Just got back from RBG, the excellent bio of Ruth Bader-Ginsberg. Whether right or left, one can't deny what a force of nature the woman is and how much good she has been able to accomplish for equal rights in this country.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:40 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Just got back from RBG, the excellent bio of Ruth Bader-Ginsberg. Whether right or left, one can't deny what a force of nature the woman is and how much good she has been able to accomplish for equal rights in this country.
My wife and son have seen that and loved it; I hope to see it soon.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krondys View Post
I watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World for the first time last night. I don't do drugs, but now I feel like I know what it feels like
I quite enjoyed it the first time but it's a film that really benefits from rewatching. I now like it more than the 'cornetto' trilogy.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:01 PM

MotW: Ideal Home. (Insignificant theater release and then to streaming.)

Steve Coogan and Paul Rudd are a couple who end up with a kid coming into their home and ruining, um, er, "modifying" their happy, um, er, "tricky" existence.

Coogan plays Erasmus, a TV cooking/food show host. Very goofy and unserious. Rudd plays Paul, his partner in business and work. Not sure what his deal is except he has the worlds stupidest haircut.

Jack Gore is the kid. Already a seasoned professional at ???. Starts off uninteresting but gets better.

The IMDb listing of the cast is weird. Kate Walsh is listed 2nd and is basically a cameo, etc.

A few funny bits, once in a while a tender thing. But a lot of "Why are these people acting this way?" stuff in between.

Coogan continues to impress me. Generally known for comedy but has done some really nice serious stuff like Philomena. In this he mostly goes off the deep end into zaniness.

Not too bad but a ways from a really nice movie.

Give it 2, maybe 2.5, tacos.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:15 AM

Our MotW is about a woman who after leaving prison tries to get custody back of her child who is being taken care of by a sibling.

Clearly talking about Maggie Gyllenhaal and Sherrybaby, right?

Nope. It's Julianne Nicholson in Who We Are Now.

It's really hard to watch a film that has so many similarities to another, esp. when a couple scenes are really similar. But if you pretend you never saw Sherrybaby you should enjoy it.

Great cast for the most part: Julianne Nicholson, Zachary Quinto, Lea Thompson, etc. Jimmy Smits steals every scene he's in. (He runs a legal service for poor folk like Nicholson's character.) Even Jason Biggs does a decent job. OTOH it has Emma Roberts in it. Not helping.

It does have the unfortunate disease of inexperienced writer/directors of having too many extended shots that go on for no reason. But still a fairly top notch film.

This should get award nominations for several of the actors, but it's probably just going to get lost by the end of the year.

Give it 4 1/2 fingernails.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:10 AM

Incredibles 2. A decent effort, but nowhere near as good as the first. Not helped by my theater which had the volume cranked up to painful levels (and it has a very aggressive score/soundtrack).

We got a trailer for a feature-length animated Grinch. god only knows why someone thought the world needed another version of Grinch.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:33 AM
Shouting Grasshopper

Watched The Thing From Another World yesterday. Still holds up for me.

I love the closing monologue by the reporter, especially the line "A man by the name of Noah once saved our world with an ark of wood. Here at the North Pole, a few men performed a similar service with an arc of electricity."

Last edited by blondebear; 07-15-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:46 AM

I'm way behind in my movie viewing.

"Rogue One: A Star Wars Story." Ho-hum, didn't move me in the least.

"Van Helsing." Non-stop CGI, SFX and monsters. I've got 42 minutes left and not sure I'll finish it. Sad, really.

"Singularity." How DARE they make me turn off a John Cusack movie! BORING!

"Cargo." Not bad, but the short film from last year (?) was better.

"The Girl With All the Gifts." Really good zombie film; the young female lead is nothing short of outstanding. Glenn Close lends respectability. A few twists on the usual zombie genre.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:19 PM

I watched It last night. Pretty damned creepy. This was my first experience with the franchise, as it were. I started to read the book years ago, but I never got very far into it before I bailed. I've never been a big Stephen King fan. I've enjoyed the movie adaptations more than the books. Anyway, I never saw the previous iteration of the movie either, so I went in fresh.

Right off the bat I was thrown when the little kid got his arm chewed off and then was dragged into the sewer but for the next forty-five minutes or so I was just irritated at all the gratuitous shock thrills going on. I suppose it was all designed for exposition, but enough is enough. There are only so many drooling clowns with hyper-tremors and fourteen sets of teeth I need to see to get the picture. I did get into it in act three when they had banded together and figured it all out.

Still not a fan. I may watch it again to see what I missed.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Went to see Won't You Be My Neighbor (the Fred Rogers biopic) the other night. My kids used to watch his show. If I was in the same room, I just wanted to throw a shoe at the TV. But he was a dedicated guy to his idea of how to treat children, and it's a decent film.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:15 PM
SDSAB

My most recent five:

36 Hours
A World War II thriller about a U.S. Army major (James Garner) who's the focus of an elaborate Nazi hoax. The bad guys try to convince him that he's the victim of partial amnesia years after the war ended, in order to trick him into revealing details of the D-Day landing. A clever premise and a pretty good movie.

Incredibles 2
A very worthy sequel to the Pixar superhero-family original - lots of fun, lots of laughs, great action sequences and beautiful animation.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Ben Stiller stars as a nerdy Life magazine photoarchivist with an active fantasy life. He has to leave his comfort zone to find an elusive celebrity photographer (Sean Penn, understated, bemused and perfect in the role) and locate an important picture. Heartwarming and funny.

Le Corbeau
A 1943 B&W French melodrama about a small French village torn apart by the revelations of a series of poison-pen letters sent anonymously to leading citizens. OK, but not as good a movie as it might have been.

Spider-Man: Homecoming
Funny, exciting reboot of the Spider-Man stories, with a new actor, Tom Holland, doing very well in the part. Lots of good tie-ins to the MCU.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:22 PM

Just saw "Antman & Wasp" last Wednesday.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:26 PM
SDSAB

And...?
Old 07-22-2018, 09:12 AM

Charlize Theron in Tully. Been wanting to see this one for a while.

Theron does another great character dive performance like in Monster.

Directed by Jason Reitman and written by Diablo Cody.

It's so good that even Ron Livingston does a nice job in it.

Theron plays a mom of two, one of whom is "special" with a third about to pop. Livingston is her detached husband. Theron's brother gifts her a "night nanny", the title character played by Mackenzie Davis.

I kept waiting and waiting for the "thing" to happen. The nanny turns out to be ... ?

At some point you knew that a dark turn or something was going to happen. 2/3 of the way thru there's an "event" but not really a turn. And then at the end ...

Okay...

Looking back, it takes a lot of "just so" things to happen to make this work right. Suspension of disbelief just barely covers it. Things are stretched a little too far.

But it's fairly compelling even up to near the end.

Best line: "Milk. I make milk."

Give it 4 1/2 bags of expressed milk.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:45 PM

Equalizer 2
Denzel kicking ass continuously, against the most reprehensible antagonists imaginable (they were only missing representatives from the Puppy Kicking Mafia for completeness of evil opponents). And never a single moment when the audience thinks "Oh no, Denzel's in trouble now!" A film perfectly matched to summertime movie watching needs.

Blindspotting
Definitely a movie for our times. A surprising consideration of "white privilege" without being "about white privilege". It will stick with you afterwards. Yet- genuinely funny moments, real tension, and characters that, at critical moments, don't act or react in a way that seems to be "because that's what the script calls for". Finally, the sense of place in this movie is superlatively done, not just a generic "the hood" setting. I have to absorb it a bit more, but it is likely to show up on my "top movies of 2018" list at the end of the year.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:50 PM

Saw https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/leave_no_trace open in my city last week. Debra Granik should make more films and other filmmakers should make fewer.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Just watched Coco on Netflix. Really excellent animation and a charming story.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:13 PM

Last Saturday, we watched "Enemy" starring Jake Gyllenhaal in a dual role...he was really good, my wife enjoyed it too, but it was one of those movies with a "WTF was THAT all about?!?" ending...I'd recommend it, good Saturday night Netflix movie...
Old 07-26-2018, 03:45 AM

Just wanted to say that I love the first film mentioned in this thread. No matter what other people say, Wes Anderson is a genius to me.

I saw Drive (2011) recently. It's no wonder why it got rave reviews. It's a beautiful, visually appealing film but I was mostly captivated by the storyline. It really plays well with the eyes and the mind. Some think it goes a little overboard in some parts, but I think it adds to the storytelling. I especially like the elevator scene actually. Don't miss out on this Nicolas Winding Refn flick.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I watched How it Ends on Netflix the other day. What a waste of time that was. And what's with the review stars on Netflix? The don't reflect the quality of the movie, that's for sure.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:41 AM

A few entries:

Robin Williams: Come Inside My Mind - the bio-doc on HBO. I really enjoyed it. It's pretty much your standard biography. I didn't really learn anything new, except for the details of the illness he suffered at the end of his life, but a thoroughly enjoyable watch - touching at times, absolutely hilarious (as you would expect) through much of it. Recommend.

Baby Driver - I liked it, although I was expecting something ... idunno, different. Going in, all I knew was that the songs were integral to the scenes, synced, timed, defining the tread of the film, and all that. The first scene definitely delivers, but that gimmick, for lack of a better term, pretty much faded away for me. Yes, the music is well synced which gives the film an artier feel (augmented by the arty visuals as well) but when all is said and done, I just enjoyed it as a decent crime-driving-action flick.
Either way, I forced my family to watch it with me and the general consensus was, "Jack always makes us watch the weirdest movies when he comes over." Such is my burden.

Anyway, after I had tied them to their chairs, glued their eyes opened and forced them to watch Baby Driver, I let most of them go, but I made my father re-watch the 1975 Rollerball (previously reviewed in this thread) with me. I can't get enough of that movie.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterlifethroughchemistry View Post
Last Saturday, we watched "Enemy" starring Jake Gyllenhaal in a dual role...he was really good, my wife enjoyed it too, but it was one of those movies with a "WTF was THAT all about?!?" ending...I'd recommend it, good Saturday night Netflix movie...
Just watched it and I have no idea what the fuck I just watched. It seemed to be going. . .somewhere, and then just didn't.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I watched How it Ends on Netflix the other day. What a waste of time that was. And what's with the review stars on Netflix? The don't reflect the quality of the movie, that's for sure.
Just saw that too, and I agree with your assessment. Oddly the reviews focused on the character development, which I thought was fine for a disaster movie. It was a little hokey--Man trying to impress tough as nails father of his bride to be--but serviceable for this kind of flick.

I had two main problems:
SPOILER:
One, I am very tired of the "Society breaks down and our inner monster is unleashed" trope. People aren't going to turn into monsters within a day or two of a disaster. People help each other. Really. Between Chicago and Seattle there are countless self sufficient communities that would work together to pool resources and try to figure out what was going on. And law enforcement isn't just going to disappear.

Two, What the hell was the disaster? I like the idea of two people caught up in the middle of something, seeing an apocalyptic sci-fi event from the ground up, instead of from the perspective of generals and NASA, but what the hell was it? It felt like a mystery novel where you never find out who did it. No one has any idea what happened. There's no information anywhere. They showed people using shortwave radios. Surely someone would know something. It was cheap writing.

Last edited by Larry Borgia; 07-26-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
Just saw that too, and I agree with your assessment. Oddly the reviews focused on the character development, which I thought was fine for a disaster movie. It was a little hokey--Man trying to impress tough as nails father of his bride to be--but serviceable for this kind of flick.

I had two main problems:
SPOILER:
One, I am very tired of the "Society breaks down and our inner monster is unleashed" trope. People aren't going to turn into monsters within a day or two of a disaster. People help each other. Really. Between Chicago and Seattle there are countless self sufficient communities that would work together to pool resources and try to figure out what was going on. And law enforcement isn't just going to disappear.

Two, What the hell was the disaster? I like the idea of two people caught up in the middle of something, seeing an apocalyptic sci-fi event from the ground up, instead of from the perspective of generals and NASA, but what the hell was it? It felt like a mystery novel where you never find out who did it. No one has any idea what happened. There's no information anywhere. They showed people using shortwave radios. Surely someone would know something. It was cheap writing.
Seemed like they were trying to do a combination of nuclear attack and super volcano explosion. Or something.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:10 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Watched Dr Strangelove this afternoon. It's a favorite of mine but I haven't seen it in many years. There are some funny sight/prop gags that I didn't remember; the stenciling on the bombs that says "Nuclear Warhead-Handle With Care" and the binder in front of General Turgidson (George C. Scott) in the war room with a label that says "World Targets in Megadeaths".
Old 07-27-2018, 08:07 AM

My mom picked the movie last night and she chose Marshall, the 2017 biopick of Thurgood Marshall starring Chadwick Boseman (his fourth turn in bio-pic land (Jackie Robinson, James Brown, Floyd Little)). I suppose the film could have been titled Marshall and Friedman, for it doesn't cover Marshall's entire life but his involvement in one case, in which he was forced to sit as a silent second counsel while Sam Friedman (Josh Gad, who did a terrific job) reluctantly conducts the trial.

I didn't really know about this movie go in. That is, of course I know who Thurgood Marshall was, but I didn't know they made a movie about him - and I didn't really know many details of his life beyond the fact that he was civil rights attorney who wound up on the Supreme Court - there are a lot of little details not filled there. At any rate, it's a decent flick with some fine performances, but it suffers in direction. It seems this is Reginald Hudlin's first feature, having been busy previously directing TeeVee. There's nothing horrible about his style, it just seems kind of pedestrian. It very much feels like a TeeVee show rather than a big screen flick.

All in all, I recommend it, if you're willing to gloss over a few plot points/editing issues and a handful of poorly delivered lines. The big-hitters in this movie do indeed swing large, but some of the lesser characters seem a little phoned-in.

Last edited by Jack Batty; 07-27-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:25 AM

Byt the way ... seeing that "Zimmerman Back in the News" thread reminded me. At the end of Marshall, there's a scene leading into the credits where Thurgood Marshall meets the parents of someone he's going to defend at the train station. It was Trayvon Martin's parents in a cameo.

I pegged it right off the bat - "holy shit, I think that's Trayvon Martin's parents!" said I - mostly because Mr. Martin has one line and he couldn't have delivered more woodenly if he literally had a stick up his ass, so I knew he wasn't a professional actor. That and I sort of recognized his bald head and beard from when he was mistaken to have been in Childish Gambino's This is America video. A complicated pop-culture route my synapses traveled to be sure, but I called it, damn it.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:44 AM

MotW: Little Pink House (note the singular).

The tale of a woman at the center of the New London, CT eminent domain case a few years back.

Catherine Keener and Jeanne Tripplehorn are the most well known cast members, each on opposite sides of the tale.

Overall fairly decent. The problem is ...

The problem is ... the story is just too depressing. The state helping a business to take other people's homes, all the while subsidizing said business. (And when the subsidies ended, the business moved away. Nice.)

These public development corporations are scary. Private but with the abilities of the government. And you have no control over, no vote or anything.

And the left/right bias of SCotUS went the opposite of what I thought it would. What the what???

Yeah, depressing. But well done.

Give it 4 Viagras.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:23 PM

I'm just a movie watching fool lately (I wish I'd cut the cord earlier).

Filth
(2013), starring James McEvoy, and a host of Brit/Scot actors you know by face if not by name (Jamie Bell, Jim Broadbent, Eddie Marsan, Gary Lewis, more). This is my kind of movie. Sick. Twisted. The antagonist is one of the worst people you're every likely to come across, despite a few redeeming qualities. The plot essentially revolves around McEvoy's character as he a) investigates a murder b) bucks for a promotion c) fucks over all his colleagues as they buck for the same promotion and d) comes to grips with his manifold demons. It's hard to describe beyond that without a shit-ton of spoilers, or at least several more paragraphs laying out all the disturbing shit in the movie without giving anything away. I recommend it, especially for the Rueben, Rueben-esqe ending.

Dead Man on Campus
(1998) - I caught it on the free streaming service Pluto TV. This movie is so underrated. It is also atop of my list of pet favorites. Tom Everett Scott plays a college student (Josh) on academic scholarship, with a career track, who rooms with Mark-Paul Gosselaar, a spoiled rich kid (Cooper) who is only there for the party. Josh is soon sucked into Cooper's world of parties, girls and blowing off class. Meanwhile Cooper's character gets the bad news that his father is cutting him off unless he passes. Fortunately, the urban legend regarding a roommate's suicide and receiving straight A's as result thereof, is the key to the movie. Hilarity ensues as they try to get the most suicidal student on campus to move in with them, working through a psychotic frat-boy with a death wish, through a paranoid computer science major who is planning on killing himself so Bill Gates can't steal his brain, settling on emo rock singer who wants to die for his art.

It's not as dark as it sound and Gosselaar and Scott really hum as a team. I laugh all the way through it. A few other future stars appear - Jason Segal, Allyson Hannigan, Linda Cardellini.

I can't recommend highly enough.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:49 PM

Watched the 2007 film Waitress (with Keri Russel, Cheryl Hines & Adrienne Shelly). It was good enough, but I'm a little surprised by the 90% it gets on that Tomato site.

This was Shelly's last film - she wrote and directed it as well as acted - and the story of her death shortly after the film was completed is quite sad.

Anyway, we watched it because we have tickets to the Broadway musical that is based on the movie.

mmm