Old 11-03-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtrash View Post
I listen for "squeaks" from the re-positioning of the guitarist's fingers. Is there a musical term for this?
Flubbing? (heh - I'm sure it's intentional sometimes)
(Oh oh! I better not have heard ole Johnny do that at 0:20, 0:31, and [bad ones!] 0:39 and 0:50!!!)

Ima gonna be an apostate and mention a bit I'm not too crazy about and that's when Robert Plant does the uh-uh-AH! uh-uh-AH! AH-uh-uh! AH-uh-uh! thing at 7:29 in what's actually one of my top five Zep numbers - "Achilles Last Stand".

In ELP's "From the Beginning", I like the almost Spanish-sounding (?) "flourish" at 1:13 and 2:04 .

Great expression - 'pulling out all the stops', and Rick Wakeman uses that to great, (and, for me - dare I say spine-tingling) effect at 3:00 .

He does it more subtly at 3:17 and 3:23 in one of my favourite rock passages.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I listen for "squeaks" from the re-positioning of the guitarist's fingers. Is there a musical term for this?
Flubbing? (I'm sure it's intentional sometimes)
(Oh oh! I better not have heard ole Johnny do that at 0:20, 0:31, and [bad ones!] 0:39 and 0:50!!!)

Ima gonna be an apostate and mention a bit I'm not too crazy about and that's when Robert Plant does the uh-uh-AH! uh-uh-AH! AH-uh-uh! AH-uh-uh! thing at 7:29 in what's actually one of my top five Zep numbers - "Achilles Last Stand".

In ELP's "From the Beginning", I like the almost Spanish-sounding (?) "flourish" at 1:13 and 2:04 .

Great expression - 'pulling out all the stops', and Rick Wakeman uses that to great, (and, for me - dare I say spine-tingling) effect at 3:00 .

He does it more subtly at 3:17 and 3:23 in one of my favourite rock passages.

ETA: Actually Tony Kaye does the "Wurm" keys.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare4roach View Post
Rolling Stones Let It Bleed album "Gimme Shelter": We all know the incredible backing vocals as done by Merry Clayton but listen closely the next time she sings "Murder!" when her voice cracks. You can just barely hear Jagger say/sing "Whooo!"...I believe they were singing this together for the track. It's clear Jagger was mightily impressed.
I was just coming in to mention voice cracks. I'm glad you mentioned this one; the two that came to mind for me (one more well known than the other) are Anarchy in the UK by the Sex Pistols -- at about 2:24 when Johnny Rotten sings "Is this the I.R.A.?"

And the lesser known Eric Lindell in his tune It's My Pleasure when he sings ... well, I'm not exactly sure, but it sounds like "girl if I saw you wanted, girl you bet I'd get you furs and things, it ain't no thang," at about 1:17.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:55 PM

At first I didn't like it, but the (school?) buzzing sound intensifying at 2:39 in Alice Cooper's "School's Out" I guess eventually grew on me.

Bob Plant in "Misty Mountain Hop" has about five or six Plant-like bits that are so Plant-y he out-Plants himself here. At the end of almost every damn line. This makes it difficult to pick just one, (just listen to the whole damn song) (again, I know), so I went with his raspy delay at 2:18 .

/ATMB derail/ Burned: In my previous post, I should've gotten a message saying that I missed the 5-minute edit window, and I'd just end up with what I originally wrote.
Instead, the edit was allowed, (despite being past five minutes), but made it into a double post. /end of ATMB derail/
Old 12-04-2019, 06:24 PM

Bumping again with some bass guitar offerings.

Mike Watt's crazy note at 0:51.
(How the Minutemen do it live)

Soo Yun Park's (of Bitch Magnet) slide up the bass at 19:43
Old 12-05-2019, 09:03 AM

This one gets me every single time...

From the Cowboy Junkies "Sun Comes Up, It's Tuesday Morning".

At 3:03 when Margo sings "yeah sure I'll admit there are times when I miss you, especially like now when I need someone to hold me..."

It's the "need someone to hold me" that send shivers down my backbone.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:39 AM

At the end of the first chorus of Wall of Voodoo's Shouldn't Have Given Him a Gun For Christmas, there's this single note that always gives me joy. It's at about 1:24 in this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf3_rg-VYvQ
Old 12-05-2019, 11:52 AM

In the first 20 seconds of the Scorpions song 'I Can't Get Enough'. The frenetic guitar riff and then a long high-to-low pitched AAAAAAAAA....aaaahhhhhhh from the lead singer. Almost like a yodel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEc19FFdfs8
Old 12-05-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Don't know what the term is, but you can really hear them on some Acoustic Alchemy stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAzlDJ8gzTU