Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 07:46 PM

I actually went and defended a conservative poster from accusations of being a rape apologist. So don't try to pretend that is the problem.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
What was offensive about post #188?
Nothing wrong with 188.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:42 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
Might we have some sort of indication as to what rape "apology" consists of, as I am genuinely unaware of anyone taking up for or excusing rape in any way.
I'm not going to provide a recipe on how to be a rape apologist just shy of sanction. I recommend taking a wide berth. A little while ago someone linked to an excellent article about how the AskHistorians banned holocaust deniers from their subreddit. While I would never make comparisons between these different types of things, I found the article informative and persuasive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
Further, official sanction of one side of an argument results not in debate or discussion but only in proselytism. How are we supposed to fight ignorance or engage in debate if only one side of an issue can be heard from?
Let me be clear - there is only one viable side to the argument about rape apology.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Let me be clear - there is only one viable side to the argument about rape apology.
Indeed. The nightmare scenario SA describes--in which nobody is around the boards anymore to trivialize rape and to imply that those traumatized by violent rape attempts are weaklings--could, just possibly, wind up not being such a nightmare after all. It may be that, absent the argument over whether attempted rape is immoral, we could still find things to disagree about.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 09-26-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Indeed. The nightmare scenario SA describes--in which nobody is around the boards anymore to trivialize rape and to imply that those traumatized by violent rape attempts are weaklings--could, just possibly, wind up not being such a nightmare after all. It may be that, absent the argument over whether attempted rape is immoral, we could still find things to disagree about.
Aside from some that despicably advocate for prison rape as an extrajudicial punishment is anyone actually trivializing rape? Thatís a serious accusation to level and cites would be nice. And is anyone really asserting that attempted rape is a moral act?

Surely, with the amount of threads on this subject you could find a few definitive and topical cites.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Aside from some that despicably advocate for prison rape as an extrajudicial punishment is anyone actually trivializing rape? That’s a serious accusation to level and cites would be nice. And is anyone really asserting that attempted rape is a moral act?

Surely, with the amount of threads on this subject you could find a few definitive and topical cites.
post 196

I should add that you're likely to disagree and to try to carve some daylight between my paraphrase and SA's words. I'm not particularly concerned about your efforts to do so, and I wish you luck in this endeavor.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 09-26-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Posts 183, 186 & 191.
Blame for having foolishly (or stubbornly) put themselves in harm's way falls, as it should, upon the person who did so.
Even if we are to accept that this point of view is right and correct, has it not occurred to you that it will result in a great many more instances of rape and sexual abuse than would occur otherwise?

It seems to me that it profits women little to be able to afix the blame elsewhere if they wind up getting raped and abused even more as a result.

It's a simple statement of fact intended to keep things in perspective in an atmosphere where people were attempting to portray the incident as equivalent to factual rape.

I would think any victim of actual rape would quite clearly (absent political motive otherwise) tell you that what is alleged to have happened to her was nowhere near as bad as what they experienced.

Is this to say that what is alleged to have happened to Ford was not bad at all? Clearly not (and I find it ridiculous to feel I have to point that out). But there are degrees of sexual offense, and compared to other types of sexual abuse what she's claiming to have happened was relatively...and I repeat, relatively...not that bad, and certainly not rape.

The comment, "not that serious," was intended in comparison with rape, which many of the board's [redacted] were attempting to characterize it as having been.

And this is undeniably true. What Ford is claiming was clearly less serious than full-on rape.

It simply never occurred to the girls that anything morally wrong was going on, boys were gonna go for it and that's just the way life was...there is nothing in Christine Ford's history to indicate that she was traumatized at all by what she says occurred that night.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
post 196

I should add that you're likely to disagree and to try to carve some daylight between my paraphrase and SA's words. I'm not particularly concerned about your efforts to do so, and I wish you luck in this endeavor.
If thatís your cite thatís your cite. Iím anti crime but Iím for discussing difficult topics even if it makes people uncomfortable. Some things are hard to reconcile with general rules and these discussions have utility.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
What was offensive about post #188?
Perfect timing. I was wondering when you were going to show up.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:05 PM
Screwing the unscrutable.

<moderating>

OK. I think this has gone on a bit too long and gotten a bit too heated. I'm going to talk to the other moderators and get other opinions.

I'm shutting this down for the moment. Probably not for more than 24 hours, but we'll see. Personally, I think it's off the rails for ATMB. But we'll see.

Closing for the time being.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:50 PM
Mod Rocker

Almost a simulpost:

Moderating
Quote:
Originally Posted by expectopatronum View Post
No one has ever mentioned safe spaces except for the pro-misogyny tards/trolls, like yourself.
I know this thread had gottn way too heated, but we still have a rule against insults outside The BBQ Pit.

This is going to get you a Warning. In future threads on this topic, please refrain from getting insulting and personal.

[ /Moderating ]
Closed Thread