Old 06-14-2019, 06:12 PM

I logged in today for the first time in a couple months, but it looks like my camp was disappeared, along with my power armor.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza View Post
And the new (optional, of course) battle royale mode is being very well received, even by people not particularly a fan of PVP.
I wish I could summon up the tiniest bit of motivation to even launch F76 again, but I can't.

I'm with Balance for the most part, but I'll add another thing: F76 makes it virtually impossible to actually roleplay, except perhaps as a psychotic raider or a religious fanatic (say, a Child of Atom). All of the end-game content is centered around lobbing nukes around the landscape. How the hell am I supposed to roleplay as even a character with the stated backstory--that is, a vault dweller chosen to be "the best of the best" and then released to help rebuild civilization? Nothing I do has a permanent effect at all, and even overlooking that fact, the only thing to do in the long run is the exact opposite of what my character is sworn to do.

Not that it matters anyway, because Bethesda has done exactly nothing to enhance the solo or co-op experience. The best I can say is that (apparently--I haven't actually checked), the new PVP modes have attracted some of the griefers away from the "adventure" servers. That would be great if there were any actual content.

The F76 subreddit seems to consist of moaning about game balance, grinding, farming, optimal builds, and other metagaming crap. In short, all of the reasons I now hate MMOs and haven't played one for a decade or so. Balance is irrelevant if I'm going to be the biggest badass in the Wasteland anyway. Same thing for optimizing my character, and a huge negative impact to roleplay when I have to minmax the characteristics instead of just building the character that I want.

But hey, at least they finally shipped the canvas bags.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
https://ogn.theonion.com/e3-attendee...ion-1835376911

"Wow, OGN readers, we’ve seen some rough E3 shows in the past, but it looks like Bethesda has taken the cake with a major technical breakdown during their Sunday evening presentation. Attendees actually ended up fleeing the L.A. Convention Center in droves after a glitch in the company’s presentation resulted in a high-level deathclaw spawning right on the conference’s main floor."
“Most attendees managed to escape after the deathclaw glitched back to its original spawn point and it’s poor pathfinding caused it to get stuck behind a metal door.”

Priceless.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I logged in today for the first time in a couple months, but it looks like my camp was disappeared, along with my power armor.
whew, I logged in again today and my camp was available as "stored", along with my power armor.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
I opened it up to play with the helmet and marvel at how incredible crappy the nylon bag was.
You should be getting a canvas bag soon. They are supposed to ship this week.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

This isn't grabbing me like 4 did, which I kinda figured would happen. Still haven't found a need to build a camp yet.

I'll come back to explore from time to time.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:28 AM

Same here, I was close to buying it after trying the free week, but didn't follow through.

The emptiness and futility of it put me off.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:44 AM

I loaded F:NV up this weekend and started a new playthrough. I had forgotten just how much was lost going from F:NV to F4, let alone F4 to F76. F4 wasn't bad, but for every improvement (graphics, base building) a few things were lost (role playability, meaningful dialogue, complex character building). Never mind that F76 is worse than F4 in just about every way. Also, Old World Blues may be my favorite DLC expansion of any game, ever.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
I loaded F:NV up this weekend and started a new playthrough. I had forgotten just how much was lost going from F:NV to F4, let alone F4 to F76. F4 wasn't bad, but for every improvement (graphics, base building) a few things were lost (role playability, meaningful dialogue, complex character building). Never mind that F76 is worse than F4 in just about every way. Also, Old World Blues may be my favorite DLC expansion of any game, ever.
I'm sure most of you have already played it, but if not, Dust is an awesome mod for New Vegas. It's a grim dark survival mod, set 20 ish years after the 2nd Battle of Hoover Dam. Hair-yankingly hard, but well thought-out, and I found the lore interesting. Of course, if you haven't played Tale of Two Wastelands, give it a try.

FO4 has an equivalent, called Frost.

New California is supposed to be a decent mod, though I've not played it.

I've still never played 4. The plot seemed silly and the roleplaying opportunities miniscule. I don't care about settlement building---if I wanted to play Minecraft, I would---and I've had enough of radiant quests since the various STALKER games.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
I don't care about settlement building---if I wanted to play Minecraft, I would---and I've had enough of radiant quests since the various STALKER games.
None of which is required to complete the game, unless you want the Minuteman ending.

There is a mod which turns settlement building into a first-person post-apocalyptic Sim City in which you place plots and the settlers build on their own but I've never been able to get it to work right on the PC and my console version is full of other mods.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 06-19-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
I can't make myself re-install and play FO:NV. I'm afraid it'll destroy my fondness for FO4 after I'm forcibly reminded of how badly it suffers in comparison in most RPG playability aspects. Bethesda can't write their way out of a cheap nylon bag.

The only good FO games were written by Obsidian. Which is why (slight off-topic diversion) the next Fallout title I'm buying isn't a Fallout title at all.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:07 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
You should be getting a canvas bag soon. They are supposed to ship this week.
Nope, not for me. The bag replacement thing required you to have a receipt for the collector's edition. Since I got my copy free through work, I don't have a receipt, so I'm stuck with the crappy nylon bag.

Which, ironically enough, I've used more than the actual game. I still haven't so much as launched the game, but I did use the nylon bag as a gym bag for a couple days as a goof.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
The only good FO games were written by Obsidian. [/URL].
Not true. The original Fallout was made by the guys who would go on to form Troika after they left Interplay. Even though FO2 had better mechanics (no more getting trapped on bridges), FO1 had a better storyline and fewer gratuitous pop-culture references.

Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 06-21-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
I can't make myself re-install and play FO:NV. I'm afraid it'll destroy my fondness for FO4 after I'm forcibly reminded of how badly it suffers in comparison in most RPG playability aspects. Bethesda can't write their way out of a cheap nylon bag.

The only good FO games were written by Obsidian. Which is why (slight off-topic diversion) the next Fallout title I'm buying isn't a Fallout title at all.
Oh man, I hadn't seen that before......can't wait to play it.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Oh man, I hadn't seen that before......can't wait to play it.
Likewise. Added to Steam wishlist.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Likewise. Added to Steam wishlist.
Huh. I was going to say - it's an epic store (timed) exclusive, it shouldn't be available to put on your steam wishlist.

But it is. Using a platform to advertise a game that it won't even be available on at launch, that feels pretty scummy to me. I'm surprised steam allows it.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
Not true. The original Fallout was made by the guys who would go on to form Troika after they left Interplay. Even though FO2 had better mechanics (no more getting trapped on bridges), FO1 had a better storyline and fewer gratuitous pop-culture references.
How do you mean? Interplay published them both, they just started their new internal development studio for the second one. Same dudes were involved in whole or part: Cain, Urquhart, Boyarsky, Taylor. Avellone was new for 2.

I like 2 better in almost every way. The plot for the first game was completely missed if you spend too long dicking around (Ron Perlman: "The town of X was destroyed. The town of Y is no more. The town of Z..."), and that's par for the course in these types of games. Companion AI wasn't great in either game, but at least they didn't try to kill you as much in the second one.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Huh. I was going to say - it's an epic store (timed) exclusive, it shouldn't be available to put on your steam wishlist.

But it is. Using a platform to advertise a game that it won't even be available on at launch, that feels pretty scummy to me. I'm surprised steam allows it.
Um, not to start an entire hijack, but.

It will be available on Steam when it's available on Steam. You can wishlist it for when it is available. I don't see what the problem is.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
How do you mean? Interplay published them both, they just started their new internal development studio for the second one. Same dudes were involved in whole or part: Cain, Urquhart, Boyarsky, Taylor. Avellone was new for 2.

I like 2 better in almost every way. The plot for the first game was completely missed if you spend too long dicking around (Ron Perlman: "The town of X was destroyed. The town of Y is no more. The town of Z..."), and that's par for the course in these types of games. Companion AI wasn't great in either game, but at least they didn't try to kill you as much in the second one.
It's been mentioned here before, but Fallout: Resurrection is a decent mod on the FO2 engine, but much more in line with FO for mood. Actually a bit grim, as many Eastern European-built mods tend to be. Worth your time though, and a neat take on the story.

I liked 2 better as well. Certainly a lot more to do.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Um, not to start an entire hijack, but.

It will be available on Steam when it's available on Steam. You can wishlist it for when it is available. I don't see what the problem is.
I'm seeing stuff that it will be Epic for ~1 year, then back on Steam in 2020 some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
It's been mentioned here before, but Fallout: Resurrection is a decent mod on the FO2 engine, but much more in line with FO for mood. Actually a bit grim, as many Eastern European-built mods tend to be. Worth your time though, and a neat take on the story.

I liked 2 better as well. Certainly a lot more to do.
Interesting. Have you played it? Is the plotting content all original, or is there some canon background lore (e.g. Caesar's Legion stuff that happened in the southwest before FNV)?
Old 06-22-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Interesting. Have you played it? Is the plotting content all original, or is there some canon background lore (e.g. Caesar's Legion stuff that happened in the southwest before FNV)?
I started to play it over the winter, didn't get very far due to no fault of the game. I think I got busy for a bit, and then I always have a hard time picking games like that back up after a break. Have to remember what's what and who's who etc.

Anyway, the icon is still on my desktop and it's been catching my eye lately. Maybe time to look at it again.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
...Interesting. Have you played it? Is the plotting content all original, or is there some canon background lore (e.g. Caesar's Legion stuff that happened in the southwest before FNV)?
Played it and finished it. Set in New Mexico, between the events of FO and FO2. You are the typical guy in a cave with amnesia, but you don't have anything to do with the Vault Dweller or Chosen One. Scope is about the size of FO, a bit fewer quests. Original plot and lore. Very dingy morality throughout. Language English first not, for the writers. Ball-breakingly hard in early and mid game.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:00 PM

Got cut off in mid post. Anyway, it's almost adventure-game esque in how it forces you to save resources. The quests and gatekeepers for a quest chain could use more information about what you're supposed to be doing, where you can find what you need. and which quests will annoy other factions. Take notes. There's a quest guide on steam that's a lifesaver for avoiding getting stuck.

Still a neat mod, and recommended for fans of FO1 and 2.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I was under the impression that most of FO2 was completed after Cain, Boyarsky, and Anderson left Interplay, but it seems I was mistaken. I looked into it a bit more and most of the main quests, characters, and settings were already in place by the time they had a falling out with Interplay over team structure and where the company was heading. Urquhart, Avellone, and the rest of the team who stayed with Interplay/Black Isle Studios (and would later form Obsidian when BIS was shut down) pretty much just put the finishing on the game. So it appears the game for the most part was the exact same team that did FO1.

Edit: I still think FO2 could have been a bit more streamlined, though. It seemed that there was a lot of "let's add a quest to make the game longer" stuff going on there. I felt NV actually pared that aspect down. Then again, many of the Troika guys had joined Obsidian again after Troika folded, so maybe there was a better sense of editing with the original team mostly back together.

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against long games and getting my money's worth, but tacking thing on for length's sake interferes with the narrative.

Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 06-24-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

I'm still playing 4 way more than 76. Just went into VATS to shoot three raiders through a hole in a wall, one shot per raider. Turned out they were all lined up and I took 'em all with a single .308.

Had no idea that could happen.