Old 08-22-2019, 01:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Japan's Rising Sun flag? The sun I can totally see: it looks like a sun. Today, however, I realized that the color was not quite the normal color of the sun but that was okay because yellowish white is hard to put on a flag. Then I realized that the sun as it is rising is indeed red.
It probably wasn't a factor when Japan adopted its flag but the classic laws of heraldry prohibit having white and yellow touching.

But look at the Papal flag, which clearly has yellow and white touching. That was intentional; it was supposed to demonstrate that the Pope, as God's representative, did not have to submit to any secular laws.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:27 AM

I was watching the video for Up Up Down Down by Kirby Krackle, earlier. I've watched it a bazillion times.

There's a twist at the end -
SPOILER:
she's a serial killer and the singer is her latest victim
- which, upon this rewatch, I realized was forshadowed by the girl's choice of clothes...
SPOILER:
Her shirt has the Poison Mushroom from Super Mario Bros. II/The Lost Levels (depending whether you're talking about the Japanese or US version, respectively). Boy should have seen it coming.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:54 AM

I don't know if this has been covered, but for me it was the old TV show "The Prisoner" which I binge watched on dvd recently.

One of the ongoing themes is Drake trying to find out who is "Number One", the person in charge of the Village. In the intro he asks his interrogator "Who is Number One?", the answer is "You are number 6." Which I always took to be a reply reinforcing to Drake what his own number is.

However, in the last episode, he pulls back Number 1's mask and sees himself, which totally changes the response to the intro question: "You are, Number Six". It was staring us in the face the entire series.

The belief is that he was the head of the Village and he gave himself an amnesia treatment and had himself placed in there as a "Prisoner" to test if the village was escape proof.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMANCANADA View Post
I don't know if this has been covered, but for me it was the old TV show "The Prisoner" which I binge watched on dvd recently.

One of the ongoing themes is Drake trying to find out who is "Number One", the person in charge of the Village. In the intro he asks his interrogator "Who is Number One?", the answer is "You are number 6." Which I always took to be a reply reinforcing to Drake what his own number is.

However, in the last episode, he pulls back Number 1's mask and sees himself, which totally changes the response to the intro question: "You are, Number Six". It was staring us in the face the entire series.

The belief is that he was the head of the Village and he gave himself an amnesia treatment and had himself placed in there as a "Prisoner" to test if the village was escape proof.
Congratulations -- you've discovered what is possibly the answer (especially considering how, in the last episode, Fallout, The Prisoner pulls off the mask on Number One and sees his own face*. his idea has been bruited about for the past few decades among Prisoner aficionados. But I don't think I've heard the idea of his giving himself amnesia to "test" the Village effectiveness.

One of my friends suggested that all of the series effectively takes place in The Prisoner's own mind. He hypothesized that, as an agent, he was given information or an assignment that collided so strongly with his own beliefs and code of ethics that he retreated into his own mind, and he imagined it all. That explains how "They" can know so much, and why people he thought were undoubtedly on "his side" turn out to be turncoats.

Although lots of places claim that The Prisoner was really Drake, McGoohan's character from Secret Agent/Danger Man (including one of the novels based on the series), McGoohan has consistently denied it. Arguably, that's to avoid giving royalties to the folks responsible for that earlier series. McGoohan liked playing secret agents, and portrayed others in his career.

*Of course, another mask-pull revealed an ape, so make of that what you will.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:29 AM

I chose to ignore the ape face part since that didn't fit into my theory

I also thought it was interesting how McGoohan supposedly went into hiding after the finale aired because fans were so pissed off. I'm sure there's already thread here for "Series Finales that were a Disaster"
Old 08-26-2019, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Okay, I knew that Janis Joplin's version of "Me and Bobby McGee" was a cover and that Kris Kristofferson wrote the song and sang it before Joplin.

But I recently found out that the song was originally recorded by Roger Miller. And then I checked and found out that Gordon Lightfoot, Kenny Rogers, the Stonemans, Charley Pride, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, and the Statler Brothers all did a cover before Kristofferson released his version. So Joplin's cover was the ninth release of the song. And all of these versions were recorded and released in an eighteen month period.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 08-26-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

I just came across a clip from the Batman The Brave and the Bold cartoon featuring the obscure Batman villain The Music Meister. I realized that the villain in the musical episode of The Flash is basically (supposed to be?) the same villain.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
I just came across a clip from the Batman The Brave and the Bold cartoon featuring the obscure Batman villain The Music Meister. I realized that the villain in the musical episode of The Flash is basically (supposed to be?) the same villain.
Yeah. I strongly suspect that without the B&B episode raising the Meister's profile a bit, he wouldn't have been used in Flash/Supergirl.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:39 PM

Music Meister was created for B:tBatB.

There have been similar characters, such as the DCAU's Music Master (and Music Master's influence, Fiddler), but the Brave and the Bold character was the first Music Meister.

I suspect, though, given the similarity of name and design (the red hair, the diastema, the tie) that Music Meister began life as a version of Music Master, but for some reason they decided not to use that name.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:40 PM

Thanks! I didn't know that (obviously)
Old 08-29-2019, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

A (male) friend of mine just told me that he considers America's "Sister Golden Hair" to be a song about impotence.

Well I tried to make it Sunday, but I got so damn depressed
That I set my sights on Monday and I got myself undressed
I ain't ready for the altar but I do agree there's times
When a woman sure can be a friend of mine.

Mmmmm.....Could be.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:25 AM

But then why would he be getting undressed, just after trying to make it? A leather fetish?
Old 08-29-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

To get some sleep, and stop being depressed?
Old 08-29-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMANCANADA View Post
I chose to ignore the ape face part since that didn't fit into my theory
My pet theory remains that — well, there were only 17 episodes; here’s the plan from one: “You know, you really do bear a remarkable resemblance; remarkable. Your job, Number Twelve, will be to impersonate him. Take his sense of reality away. Once he begins to doubt his own identity, he'll crack.”

That’s it.

That was their whole plan in that episode: confront him with a guy who appears to be him, and — hope. Not to be confused with the episode where he’s told that he’s now in charge, since the reveal will then be ever so demoralizing; and not to be confused with the one where he seems free to leave, because, wow, yanking that out from under him will surely do the trick, huh?

They’re, uh, not great at this; those failures were the best plans they could think up. Final episode: will they think up something cleverer? Not really, no; again, they pretty much top out at ‘confront him with a lookalike, and tell him he’s in charge now, and make it seem like he’s free to leave’. And, again, it doesn’t succeed. What? Ape mask? Well, okay; I mean, for them, that’s a genius breakthrough.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
I was watching the video for Up Up Down Down by Kirby Krackle, earlier. I've watched it a bazillion times.

There's a twist at the end -
SPOILER:
she's a serial killer and the singer is her latest victim
- which, upon this rewatch, I realized was forshadowed by the girl's choice of clothes...
SPOILER:
Her shirt has the Poison Mushroom from Super Mario Bros. II/The Lost Levels (depending whether you're talking about the Japanese or US version, respectively). Boy should have seen it coming.
That band must be big comic book fans.
https://kirbymuseum.org/blogs/simona.../archives/3997
Old 08-30-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
But then why would he be getting undressed, just after trying to make it? A leather fetish?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
To get some sleep, and stop being depressed?
Wouldn’t he have already been undressed for sexy funtime? I think that was Irishman’s point.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
That band must be big comic book fans.
Yeah. It's kind of their thing. They're nerd-rock.

Their songs heavily reference comic books and video games.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

I've been reading the webcomic Scandinavia and the World off and on for years. But I never knew the creator was a woman until she happened to mention it in a comment to a strip.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Maybe he tried to make it Sunday but got too depressed. On Monday, he got as far as taking his clothes off, but couldn't get any further.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Maybe when they were kissing and fumbling with their clothing he realized "it ain't gonna happen." So he gets undressed for bed.

Right, like that's never happened to all you male folks.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
I was watching "The Predator" last weekend, very stupid movie but I had fun and thats all that matters. ...
I was hearing from my high school-age son last night about the short story he's reading in English class, "The Most Dangerous Game." Plot: Guy falls off boat and swims ashore to an island where a crazy guy hunts men for sport, because of the challenge.

It just occurred to me then that the story of "The Predator" is basically the same, and likely inspired by that short story: Alien comes to Earth to hunt men (armed mercenary types) for the sport of it.

Last edited by Limmin; 09-05-2019 at 10:32 AM.