View Poll Results: Seinfeld or Friends?
Seinfeld 167 75.57%
Friends 54 24.43%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2019, 10:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have never been able to sit through an entire episode of Seinfeld. Within ten minutes, one or another of the characters is guaranteed to say or do something so annoying that I have to switch it off. Friends is relatively inoffensive by comparison, but it was never brilliant. I used to watch it most weeks when it originally aired, but it hasn't aged very well. I never watch the reruns.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:41 AM

I can watch 100 episodes of Seinfeld and never crack a smile.

I can watch 100 seconds of Friends and laugh out loud multiple times. Friends by a mile.

I've never actually understood the love for Seinfeld, it had just as many sitcom tropes (crazy characters, catchphrases etc.) as every other show, yet somehow it's just vastly different. I always attributed it to that stuck-up better-than-yous watched Seinfeld (this board of course excluded ), your average Joe watches Friends.

Last edited by Sir T-Cups; 08-26-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
I always attributed it to that stuck-up better-than-yous watched Seinfeld (this board of course excluded ), your average Joe watches Friends.
I'm not sure about that. When Friends was on I thought it was the whitest, most yuppie show ever.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I always attributed it to that stuck-up better-than-yous watched Seinfeld (this board of course excluded ), your average Joe watches Friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
I'm not sure about that. When Friends was on I thought it was the whitest, most yuppie show ever.
Both of them were white as white can be, but at least Friends had Aisha Tyler show up in a handful of episodes as a girlfriend for both Ross and Joey.

Friends was full of yuppie self-absorption. Seinfeld was full of hipster smugness. Take your pick. I liked them both, but I can look back and say that now.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:22 PM

Friends is a good sitcom; Seinfeld is a great one.

I'll watch either when aimlessly flipping channels. The difference is, I'll watch Friends if absolutely nothing better is on. But if an episode of Seinfeld shows up, I'll just go with it without bothering to search further.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:58 PM

I enjoying sitcoms and stand up comedy, but funny is a tricky thing. For example, I am shocked at how funny M.A.S.H. was at first, and how obsolete it seems to me now.

I prefer Seinfeld to Friends, although I have never been a great Seinfeld fan. On the other hand, Friends doesn't make me laugh - I don't feel it is a sitcom.

I have watched Curb Your Enthusiasm occasionally - I find it compelling.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:57 PM

Mrs. Wheelz is an absolute Friends nut. Therefore, it's on a lot at our house. You'd think I'd get sick of it, but somehow I don't. I'll watch an episode I've seen dozens of times already and still enjoy the writing and the performances. That says a lot, I think.

Seinfeld was one of my favorites when it first aired, and I'll still watch an occasional episode and enjoy it. But if I watch too many in too short a time, I find that I really need a break from those characters.

So Friends wins by a nose. Incidentally, I'm surprised by the number of people here who love one and loathe the other.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:05 PM

I've seen every episode of Seinfeld multiple times, and it still makes me laugh uncontrollably. Best comedy on TV ever.

I've seen Friends occasionally, and it's a mediocre sitcom. I've never understood the appeal.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:09 PM

The best Seinfeld episodes are the stuff of legends, but overall Friends is better. Moreso, I can't watch Frieds reruns without much problems, but Seinfled is now unbearable to watch.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimaane View Post
I've seen every episode of Seinfeld multiple times, and it still makes me laugh uncontrollably. Best comedy on TV ever.
I don't know if I'd go so far as GOAT, but I've certainly watched Seinfeld more and more over the years than I did when it was on in first-run. For me, it's aged wonderfully. I still find it as funny, if not funnier, than I did back then. Perhaps some of that is 90s nostalgia, I don't know, but the humor still works for me, and it's exactly up my alley. It's one of the few sitcoms both me and my wife could agree on.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
Neither show appealed to me, but I absolutely can't stand Jerry Seinfeld. So if forced to choose, I guess it would have to be Friends.
Ditto! I've seen between a dozen and two dozen episodes of Friends, but probably only half a dozen of Seinfeld that I was able to get all the way through because they characters are just such awful people.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
I doubt that I could hang out with the Friends for longer than 10 minutes.

Seinfeld and his cahoots, however, are very interesting and more in my league: Creative funny types looked down on by most people.
This is my take also. I imagine that if the Seinfeld crew existed IRL, I would fit right in, warts and all. Whereas the Friends crew are what I call "conventionals", and wouldn't have wanted me around (OK, maybe I would have shown up as one of Phoebe's boyfriends for half an episode, but they would have all tried to get her to dump me).
Old 08-26-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
This is my take also. I imagine that if the Seinfeld crew existed IRL, I would fit right in, warts and all. Whereas the Friends crew are what I call "conventionals", and wouldn't have wanted me around (OK, maybe I would have shown up as one of Phoebe's boyfriends for half an episode, but they would have all tried to get her to dump me).
Not really relevant to the question posed in this thread, but just the other night I had a dream that I guest-starred in an episode of Friends, as Rachel's new boyfriend. Off-camera, Jennifer Aniston seemed to really like me, but none of the rest of the cast would talk to me.

I don't know what this means.

Last edited by Wheelz; 08-26-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:45 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ají de Gallina View Post
...Seinfled is now unbearable to watch.
So you're saying you run away from it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
Not really relevant to the question posed in this thread, but just the other night I had a dream that I guest-starred in an episode of Friends, as Rachel's new boyfriend. Off-camera, Jennifer Aniston seemed to really like me, but none of the rest of the cast would talk to me.

I don't know what this means.
How YOU doin'...?
Old 08-26-2019, 11:01 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Friends was a good sitcom with great casting and some great episodes.

Seinfeld was a great sitcom with great casting and some episodes that were artistic masterpieces.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Friends was a good sitcom with great casting and some great episodes.

Seinfeld was a great sitcom with great casting and some episodes that were artistic masterpieces.
QFT. One of those times I wish there was a Like button.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:29 PM

Having grown up in New York state (born and lived in NYC for a few years, then raised in the suburbs), I could relate to a whole lot of Seinfeld, which was as authentic a New York sitcom as I've ever seen. Friends was just 'ok'. I completely lost interest in it before the series ended. It just seemed phony and superficial compared with Seinfeld. Friends was a typical sitcom and had all of the failings that stereotypical sitcoms have. Seinfeld, on the other hand, seemed like authentic New York. And it was different. Friends was ok, not even, imho, among the better sitcoms of the day. But it was occasionally funny. Seinfeld was something that transcended the whole sitcom mold.

There were a whole lot of sitcoms that I liked better than Friends. Friends was ordinary. But there is very little that has ever come close to Seinfeld in its humor and originality.

Last edited by Haldurson; 08-28-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:39 PM

Sitcoms better than Seinfeld:

M*A*S*H
All in the Family
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Barney Miller (which is an even more accurate snapshot of NYC)
Taxi
Get Smart
Mary Tyler Moore Show
WKRP
Community
The Good Place
Futurama
The Simpsons (well first 12 years)

I actually like Scrubs more, though I acknowledge that is an odd choice.
I Love Lucy at its best was better and really created the sitcom genre that All in the Family shook up.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:55 PM

I see you don't have Friends on that list.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I see you don't have Friends on that list.
A very average sitcom at best. The list of > Friends would be 100 long not a dozen or so.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:27 PM

Has to be Seinfeld. I don't love it but at least understand it. Friends loses me with their extravagant lifestyle. Those apartments can't all be passed along rent-controlled.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:08 PM

I tried to watch Friends twice, but gave up. So plastic and phony and unfunny. Odd how some people hate the Seinfeld characters when it's the Friends characters who are repulsive to me. Seinfeld characters had their quirks, but were believable as real people, and so many episodes were genius. Friends was fake, fake, fake, fake.

Also, Seinfeld was the first of the "friends" shows. Seinfeld was a midsummer replacement that took a little while to catch on, but Ellen DeGeneres's sitcom was a copy called "These Friends of Mine" (later changed to the Ellen DeGeneres Show). Friends came next and was a rip-off of a rip-off and the paleness of its imitation was really clear. David Schwimmer makes my skin crawl so there's that, too.

Whenever I say the word "pony" now I can't help but say it in the accent of that old Polish lady.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremson View Post
Has to be Seinfeld. I don't love it but at least understand it. Friends loses me with their extravagant lifestyle. Those apartments can't all be passed along rent-controlled.
That was the story -- Chandler and Joey were in a rent-controlled apartment, Monica took over her grandmother's, Ross was making enough money not to worry about it, and Phoebe always lived with someone else. It has as much logic as Kramer being able to sublease an apartment next door to Jerry (and from Paul Buchman of Mad about You, no less.)

There are reasons to love or hate both shows, but when you start picking apart premises like how characters can afford to live like that, everything unravels.

The last sitcom characters who could actually afford to live where they did were Mary and Rhoda in Mary Tyler Moore show - in the Midwest, in rooms converted to studio apartments, upstairs from the owner/landlord.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post

The last sitcom characters who could actually afford to live where they did were Mary and Rhoda in Mary Tyler Moore show - in the Midwest, in rooms converted to studio apartments, upstairs from the owner/landlord.
Will & Grace (well, at least Will)
Old 08-29-2019, 08:09 PM

I'm in the group 'love Seinfeld and have seen every episode many times, but have never seen a Friends episode all the way through.'

As for the 'Seinfeld characters are awful people' idea: I love that the show commented on this many times. One episode from the widely-derided (and admittedly disappointing) eighth season accomplished this masterfully: The Bizarro Jerry. I never pass up a chance to watch the coda, and never fail to laugh out loud.

Given the accolades for Friends posted in this thread, I'll try to watch it again. (I do think Lisa Kudrow is a comic genius, and I loved her shows The Comeback and Web Therapy.) But I doubt there's any way Friends could ever displace Seinfeld in my esteem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bizarro_Jerry
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0697657/
Old 09-01-2019, 12:01 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
Incidentally, I'm surprised by the number of people here who love one and loathe the other.
Yeah, same here. I like both, just prefer Friends. I, too, don't understand the loathing for either show.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:30 AM

I prefer Seinfeld. With Friends, I felt like I was obligated to laugh after each line. It's the same feeling had watching the original Roseanne show.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JpnDude View Post
I prefer Seinfeld. With Friends, I felt like I was obligated to laugh after each line. It's the same feeling had watching the original Roseanne show.
The first few years of Roseanne I thought were pretty good, it didn't keep up the quality and completely nosedived the last few years of course. So very uneven. But at its best, it was better done than friends and at its worst it was a terrible sitcom, worse than the generic sitcoms.

Roseanne also stood out as one of the rare realistic working class sitcoms in the 80s. We had a bunch in the 70s (thanks to Norman Lear) and the 50s had them. But in the 80s, we had Roseanne. Married with Children & Simpsons played far less realistic and used very broad humor.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:12 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Both shows were very good, but Seinfeld was better. The best Friends episodes were better than the least funny Seinfelds, but Seinfeld was on average a funnier show, and had almost no BAD episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps
Also, Seinfeld was the first of the "friends" shows. Seinfeld was a midsummer replacement that took a little while to catch on, but Ellen DeGeneres's sitcom was a copy called "These Friends of Mine" (later changed to the Ellen DeGeneres Show). Friends came next and was a rip-off of a rip-off and the paleness of its imitation was really clear.
Sitcoms about a bunch of friends didn't start with "Seinfeld."
Old 09-03-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
I liked Friends at the time, never liked Seinfeld (and absolutely loathe Curb Your Enthusiasm). Haven't really seen much of either since.

I also liked Joey, and Episodes, I think Matt LeBlanc's comedy chops are undersold.
I did take a look at 'Joey'. I think a program about a struggling actor trying to get ahead in L.A. would be interesting. It was such a disappointing pile of lame sit-com horse shit, wasn't he involved with a female relative or something? Wasn't there a smart-mouth kid involved? My memory is hazy, but I think IRL if there was any justice in the world, 'Joey' would have overdosed behind the dumpster at the restaurant where he makes a living bussing tables.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Prior to Seinfeld, most "Friends" shows were set in schools. Seinfeld was one of the first to show working single people as their main characters.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:45 AM

Seinfeld, most definitely. I also did like Friends (and watched it up until the whole Ross running out of the wedding with the Scottish woman), but it just wasn't nearly as good. Seinfeld is my favorite comedy show of all time. Friends is an above average show to me.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Ross running out of the wedding with the Scottish woman
The what now?
Old 09-03-2019, 11:16 AM

Irish?

The woman with the accent.

Where Chandler and Monica first ended up in bed together.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Ross married an English woman named Emily. Is that what you're talking about? He didn't "run out" of the wedding. He went through with it, after an unfortunate choice of words -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bToiIihknvs
Old 09-03-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I've never actually understood the love for Seinfeld, it had just as many sitcom tropes (crazy characters, catchphrases etc.) as every other show, yet somehow it's just vastly different. I always attributed it to that stuck-up better-than-yous watched Seinfeld (this board of course excluded ), your average Joe watches Friends.
When Seinfeld was a current show I could count the number of people I knew in real life who liked it on the thumbs of one hand. Everyone else I knew either hated it or had never seen it and had no opinion. But the one guy? Was nuts about the show. Would...not...shut....up about it, which made the rest of us hate it even more.

Funny thing was this buy was a devout member of a King James only, no one behind the pulpit not wearing a suit and tie (meaning no women), independent Baptist church.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
Ditto! I've seen between a dozen and two dozen episodes of Friends, but probably only half a dozen of Seinfeld that I was able to get all the way through because they characters are just such awful people.
How is it going otherwise, in life, outside of sitcoms?
Old 09-03-2019, 12:50 PM

Seinfeld is about nothing. THis is an insult to people who take the time to watch it.

The characters are bad people. This is a bad omen for society and that cannot be funny. I simply cannot laugh at them.

There are too many "clever" things in it for it's own good. it doesn't have common sense. Some episodes you have to "think about."

Too many laughs in a show is not good for the digestion.

Yeah for Friends!!

Last edited by drad dog; 09-03-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Have you considered posting that review on Amazon?
Old 09-03-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Ross married an English woman named Emily. Is that what you're talking about? He didn't "run out" of the wedding. He went through with it, after an unfortunate choice of words -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bToiIihknvs
It tells you how much I remember of Friends. I just remember it didn't work out and he ended back with Rachel (eventually?)
Old 09-03-2019, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Prior to Seinfeld, most "Friends" shows were set in schools. Seinfeld was one of the first to show working single people as their main characters.
First, that's an insult to the memory of Mary Tyler Moore and Cheers.

Second, how often did you see the characters from Seinfeld actually working at any job? Yes, Elaine had J. Peterman, and George was occasionally shown at various offices. But outside of an opening monologue, Jerry was rarely shown doing standup - much less sitting down and preparing his act - and Kramer was famous for having no visible means of support.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:

Second, how often did you see the characters from Seinfeld actually working at any job? Yes, Elaine had J. Peterman, and George was occasionally shown at various offices. But outside of an opening monologue, Jerry was rarely shown doing standup - much less sitting down and preparing his act - and Kramer was famous for having no visible means of support.
I've always thought Kramer was living on some kind of disability pay from his time in the Army. I think he suffered brain and neural damage from exposure to chemicals or psychological experiments.

Last edited by terentii; 09-03-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:52 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
... and Kramer was famous for having no visible means of support.
Hell, he was proud of having no visible means of support. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)
Old 09-04-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Both of those were workplace comedies, like Dick Van Dyke, Bilko, and lots of others.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Both of those were workplace comedies, like Dick Van Dyke, Bilko, and lots of others.
MTM show was hybrid of friends and workplace, especially the first 3 years with Rhoda & Phyllis. After they left the show it was more workplace oriented.

I agree Cheers is not quite the same.

The Odd Couple was a sitcom about friends long before Friends. It was also great. ( I mean the classic Jack Klugman & Tony Randall version)

Did we mention Laverne & Shirley as an early Friends sitcom?

Last edited by What Exit?; 09-04-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
MTM show was hybrid of friends and workplace, especially the first 3 years with Rhoda & Phyllis. After they left the show it was more workplace oriented.

I agree Cheers is not quite the same.

The Odd Couple was a sitcom about friends long before Friends. It was also great. ( I mean the classic Jack Klugman & Tony Randall version)

Did we mention Laverne & Shirley as an early Friends sitcom?
Dobie Gillis was too I suppose. The Odd Couple was a very specific thing, like the ultimate "situation" comedy. Everyone else had to play into that dynamic concept, and were pretty much extras to the idea of the fussbudget and the slob.

Laverne and Shirley was a spinoff, and a period show about rock and roll days too. It's also about a pair of buddies, like the odd couple, where the others are contributing to the friendship of the two main characters.

Maybe you need more than two to be a friends type show?
Old 09-05-2019, 01:00 PM

When I was talking about friends type shows, I should have specified that I was only talking about that late 80s/early 90s spike.

Duh, there were shows about friends before. Should have been clearer.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Well Kramer was on strike (NO BAGEL, NO BAGEL!)

George and Elaine were seen at work quite a bit (more George because he had the nutty bosses - but it wasn't like George was actually doing much at work). Jerry was definitely seen more complaining about stuff that happened during his act or talking about it.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:27 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Everybody on Friends was a truly rotten human being. So was everybody on Seinfeld, but at least the show acknowledged that fact.

Advantage: Spongebob.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:05 PM

Seinfeld. They were all horrible people, but the cast of Seinfeld were intentionally horrible people, rather than horrible through bad writing.

It may affect my viewpoint that I only saw the 1st season of Friends when it was released, and watched later episodes much further after.

(and no, I hadn't read the comment from silenus right before mine!)

Last edited by Annoying Buzz; 09-05-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: ninja'd