I still buy them. 89 64.96%
I used to but donít anymore. 34 24.82%
I never did. 14 10.22%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2019, 06:33 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boycott View Post
In the last year I have been buying sets of blank DVD disks so I can download/burn some long length old movies/documentaries onto them for viewing on TV. It's no fun to tell the kids "gather around the laptop".
Can't you use your laptops HDMI port to connect it to the TV?

Because I can't, it fucks up my laptops software for some reason. Wish I could but on both laptops it fucked up the software and I don't know why. Maybe its the cable I used.

I currently use a digital media player. I'll download a film, transfer it to USB and use the media player to watch it on TV.

https://www.amazon.com/Micca-Full-HD.../dp/B008NO9RRM
Old 09-02-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Many of the DVDs you can get from Netflix have special features, though only the ones found on the disk with the movie. Especially DVDs from the Criterion collection.
Not streaming but better than buying.
If Netflix still bundled the DVD service with the streaming service, I might have taken advantage of that, at least, with DVDs. But even then, I watched so few movies that I couldn't justify buying it separately. (Hell, I don't even actually have my own Netflix account. I just use my sister's at times.)

Let me put it this way: I've never owned an HD TV, and thus never had any reason to buy a Blu-ray player. What movies I do watch are on my computer, and it only had a DVD drive. (I say "had" because I disconnected it when I installed an SSD.) That's how long I've been transitioning away from normal TV.

Hence why I'm not sure I'm the type of person to vote in the poll.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post

Because I can't, it fucks up my laptops software for some reason. Wish I could but on both laptops it fucked up the software and I don't know why. Maybe its the cable I used.

I currently use a digital media player. I'll download a film, transfer it to USB and use the media player to watch it on TV.

https://www.amazon.com/Micca-Full-HD.../dp/B008NO9RRM
I could but I wasn't aware it was possible until I started doing the first few burns and tbh I quite enjoy having the physical copy anyway. I do it at work so it's not all happening in the background while I'm busy doing something else.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:52 PM

I've switched to buying digital codes. Instead of paying $5-10 for a bluray (used, or on sale), I'll spend $2-3 for a Movies Anywhere code so I can stream it. You know - those slips of paper inside your bluray case with a 12-16 digit code on it that you likely ignore or throw away? There's a market for them.

Yes - the quality isn't quite as good as it would be via a bluray player, but I'm getting probably 95-99% of the quality. Yes - there's a very outside chance that all of the movie studios will decide to pull the rights, like Microsoft did with their e-books. But it's the cost of a rental or less, and I'm assuming if that ever happens, my movies will all be obsolete in terms of resolution/format by then.

(In other news, if anyone has a stack of codes they've accumulated, I'd be happy to give you an offer!)
Old 09-03-2019, 01:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

What does it screw up? I do this all the time - I just did it to watch Acorn streaming. Never a problem.
Have you tried your laptop with a projector with an HDMI connection? It is basically the same thing.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:38 AM

I buy movies. I like knowing that I have my movies when I want them and not to the caprices of the streaming services. I remember when Netflix was a real resource, but now it's just another network. Also, I spent a lot of money and effort to set up my system, 3D Panasonic plasma and Dolby Atmos with a region-free 4K blu-ray player, to watch highly compressed streamed films.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:43 AM

I voted ďI still buy themĒ because I doÖbut itís very occasional now. I used to buy DVDs regularly for movies I would want to watch more than once. That added up over time to around 80Ė100 disks. Later I bought disks for American TV, since I live overseas and would otherwise probably never get to see many shows.

My buying trailed off when I had kids, had way less time and opportunity to watch movies, and had less space to store things in a very small apartment. I dumped all the cases and transferred the disks and inserts to a binder several years ago. Since then, Iíve bought very few disks, basically only for things that I knew would be very unlikely to make it to a rental outlet here or (later) to streaming. Iíve even had to cull my book collection repeatedly over the last few years, and most of my new fiction reading has been with ebooks. I still buy physical non-fiction though, because ebooks suck ass for indexes, footnotes, referring back to previous sections, etc.

I started buying some things from Apple in 2012. Hulu became available in my location in 2013, and Netflix in 2015. The promise of streaming ó to make anything and everything available anytime and anywhere ó has never fully materialized, and lately has started to regress, but streaming services have enough advantages that itís mostly not worth it to buy physical media.

I would prefer not to have any more crap cluttering up the place, but disks are sometimes the best or only way to view something. Even so, Iíve bought literally only a handful of blu-ray disks since the current edition of the Format Wars was concluded, which is a small fraction of the number of DVDs I had bought over the same length of time in the previous formatís era.

I really, really wish that media rights would get sorted out properly, so that even things that are obscure and esoteric are available for those who want to see them, but there were tons of things that never made it past format bottlenecks. Iíve still never seen Babylon 5, for example, because there was never a DVD release of it and it aired during the several years where I basically never watched TV. There are dozens of books that I would like to read that have been out of print and essentially unavailable during my lifetime. There is no technical reason for their unavailability; itís mostly just legal bullshit. No creators ever derive any benefit from their works being unavailable for purchase or consumption.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Streaming is still relatively new here and doesn't have as big a take up or have as many options. And I personally don't like them having all the control of what I can and can't see when, so I am very much still in the hard-copy ownership camp.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:07 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
What does it screw up? I do this all the time - I just did it to watch Acorn streaming. Never a problem.
Have you tried your laptop with a projector with an HDMI connection? It is basically the same thing.
I have no idea what happens, it has happened with 2 laptops.

Previous laptop, it would transmit video via HDMI but not sound. I had to hook up external speakers to the headphone jack for sound.

For my current laptop, It crashed my hard drive and I had to reinstall the entire operating system. I haven't messed with my HDMI port since.

I'm not sure if the cable I'm using has issues (it is a 20 foot HDMI cable) or what exactly. But ever since my entire OS got corrupted I haven't used it.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have no idea what happens, it has happened with 2 laptops.

Previous laptop, it would transmit video via HDMI but not sound. I had to hook up external speakers to the headphone jack for sound.

For my current laptop, It crashed my hard drive and I had to reinstall the entire operating system. I haven't messed with my HDMI port since.

I'm not sure if the cable I'm using has issues (it is a 20 foot HDMI cable) or what exactly. But ever since my entire OS got corrupted I haven't used it.
Hmm. The long HDMI cable I tried between my TV and BluRay player didn't work, and I substituted a smaller one which is fine. I put it between my laptop and monitor and it worked okay.
I'd guess you have a bad cable, but I'm not surprised you don't feel like trying again.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:05 AM

I still buy DVDs, for the exact reasons put down by Thudlow.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleel View Post
I really, really wish that media rights would get sorted out properly, so that even things that are obscure and esoteric are available for those who want to see them, but there were tons of things that never made it past format bottlenecks. Iíve still never seen Babylon 5, for example, because there was never a DVD release of it and it aired during the several years where I basically never watched TV. There are dozens of books that I would like to read that have been out of print and essentially unavailable during my lifetime. There is no technical reason for their unavailability; itís mostly just legal bullshit. No creators ever derive any benefit from their works being unavailable for purchase or consumption.
Maybe not in Japan but I have a complete set of DVDs of Babylon 5 that I have had for years.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
The DVD service still has an order of magnitude more titles than the streaming service. Of the 95 available DVDs in my queue, only 12 are available to stream on Netflix.
I absolutely agree with this. I've got 213 in my queue and last time I checked (granted, over a year ago), the streaming availability ran about 10%.

And, as others have mentioned, I LOVE commentaries and interviews and deleted scenes, etc.

Also, of the over 800 DVDs I've got on my shelf, over 500 are imports from HK, Korea, and Japan. R3 discs abound. There's no way in hell I could ever access those movies by a typical U.S. streaming service.** Maybe for the few of these movies that got a U.S. release, but most have not and never will.

**I've heard rumors that one can find such movies streamed from "gray" websites, but many times with dodgy (or completely absent) subtitles. And incomplete versions. No thanks. I'll stick with the double DVD with bonus features!
Old 09-06-2019, 08:16 AM

Yes, because the streaming options might not last. But I go for used copies and bargain bins, and make backups.

Last edited by ralfy; 09-06-2019 at 08:16 AM.