Old 04-17-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
To my shame, I hadn't recognized the Energy Vampire, Mark Proksch, as Mr. Squat Cobbler from the first season of Better Call Saul. What an actor! That orgasm in the City Council meeting was Emmy-worthy.
He's also Randy on Dream Corp LLC. One of the few watchable live action shows from Cartoon Network's Adult Swim line up.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodalite View Post
He's also Randy on Dream Corp LLC. One of the few watchable live action shows from Cartoon Network's Adult Swim line up.
I'll have to make a point of watching that. I was a regular Adult Swim viewer some years back, but haven't seen much lately.

(Completely off-topic, but: the two recent shows I have seen, on the recommendation of someone I trust, were Joe Pera Talks With You, and The Shivering Truth. The first is a new favorite, and the second is absolutely freaking amazing.)

Last edited by Sherrerd; 04-17-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Okay, does anybody know the answer to this? I think that the person doing the voice over for the show's intro is none other than Jemaine Clement. My wife says no. I can't find an answer online. Any help?
Old 04-24-2019, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Okay, does anybody know the answer to this? I think that the person doing the voice over for the show's intro is none other than Jemaine Clement. My wife says no. I can't find an answer online. Any help?
Anyone have a clip online of the intro?
Old 04-24-2019, 10:03 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

I'm glad there was some payoff with Gregor/JexJeff.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:08 PM

Nadia's definitely my favorite. Did anyone else thing she was going to end up killing Gregor/Jeff and wait to see if his next incarnation was more interesting?
Old 04-25-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Nadia's definitely my favorite. Did anyone else thing she was going to end up killing Gregor/Jeff and wait to see if his next incarnation was more interesting?
Wouldn't put it past them, but they'd probably make it a bit softer (as in: Jeff is about to have a fatal accident and Nadja declines to save him).

This episode, unlike the Club one, didn't advance the Take Over Staten Island plot---but it was still enjoyable. So, do we all have past lives that a vampire can cause us to remember? Hmnn....

Last edited by Sherrerd; 04-25-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just listened to it and I can't tell. I would have figured that was just someone from FX. I agree it could be him, though.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:43 PM

I've been assuming the voice-over is Clement. Sounds like him, anyway.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've been assuming the voice-over is Clement. Sounds like him, anyway.
I just asked him and he wrote me back. It isn't him.

(very cool that he wrote me back)
Old 04-26-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
It is!

So you should ask him next how he feels about someone imitating his voice that way. (Or just naturally having a sound-similar voice.)
Old 04-27-2019, 01:07 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Matt Berry in a cage holding court with a bunch of animals was pretty hilarious!
Old 04-27-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Not as such but I was fully expecting him to be decapitated once he started doing stuff based on his previous lives.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Matt Berry in a cage holding court with a bunch of animals was pretty hilarious!
It was! I love Matt Berry's line readings. His 'conversation' with the cat was a highlight.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It was! I love Matt Berry's line readings. His 'conversation' with the cat was a highlight.
He is a great line-reader. Last week, the female vampire said, "That hat is cursed and it curses all who wear it. Remember that time that cow made love to you?"

His reading of, "I don't consider that a curse," took a great line and made it amazing.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
He is a great line-reader. Last week, the female vampire said, "That hat is cursed and it curses all who wear it. Remember that time that cow made love to you?"

His reading of, "I don't consider that a curse," took a great line and made it amazing.
So true.

I hope this show takes off in the ratings, and Berry gets the US (more-than-cult) recognition he deserves.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 04-28-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:56 PM

Check out the YouTube comments in Norma Tenga's song You're Dead. Essentially just the movie quotes, but they're hilarious.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
Check out the YouTube comments in Norma Tenga's song You're Dead. Essentially just the movie quotes, but they're hilarious.
People love that movie.

Amazing that the song dates from 53 years ago---and that the creator (Tanega, it looks like, rather than Tenga) is still with us. Hope she's getting some royalties, as well as some satisfaction from seeing how many people are enjoying her song!
Old 04-30-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
People love that movie.

Amazing that the song dates from 53 years ago---and that the creator (Tanega, it looks like, rather than Tenga) is still with us. Hope she's getting some royalties, as well as some satisfaction from seeing how many people are enjoying her song!
I love the song! It's perfect for the show. I just looked it up this weekend, found it on Youtube and was amazed at how old it was. I was going to download it to my Amazon playlist but couldn't find it there.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I was convinced it was him. Ah, thanks Mahaloth for getting that answered.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
I love the song! It's perfect for the show. I just looked it up this weekend, found it on Youtube and was amazed at how old it was. I was going to download it to my Amazon playlist but couldn't find it there.
Yeah, and I prefer her version to the cover the series uses.

Though Norma means 'you're dead' in the pop culture mindless modern drone kinda way. She was a folk singer after all, not all that different from Little Boxes sung by Janis Joplin and others.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
If enough people search for it, maybe that will change.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:50 PM

Her stuff isn't purchasable through Google Music either. Too bad since I'd at least buy the track.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:36 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Best ending ever!
Old 05-02-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
Best ending ever!
Well, not to fans of
SPOILER:
Doug Jones!

What I'm wondering about now is whether we'll get to meet Guillermo's twin brother. It certainly looks like a twin, anyway, in that photo during the show-opening.

What if the brother is already a vampire----and one who's more powerful than Nandor? That could be epic. Guillermo would certainly have some very mixed feelings, especially if the brother refused to turn him for some reason.

I have no idea if any of this might show up in the show. But I'd love to see Guillermo's actor, Harvey Guillén, get to play an arrogant character who pushes Nandor around, while also playing Guillermo watching Nandor getting pushed around.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:13 PM

It’s a light comedy, but what bugs me about ‘taking over the world’ here is the same thing that annoyed me in The Highlander series. It’s easy. If you’re immortal. Save. Exponential growth and your contacts throughout the years means you may not be Bill Gates, which is good cause everyone knows him, but you can own massive stock in his company. Then just pull the strings in the background like the Illuminati.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:06 PM

Good point, but the whole point is that these 3 particular vampires are lazy and unambitious. Also Lazlo & Nandor aren't all that bright; they both forgot they have mind control powers & super strength when Animal Control had them locked up.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:51 PM

I thought that Nandor didn't really have mind control powers (or he nominally does as a vampire but they're super weak). Thus the whole "You can't hypnotize someone into doing something they didn't already want to do" joke with Colin. Nadja can do it much better. Lazlo seems to memory-wipe his neighbor on a regular basis but I don't remember if he actually hypnotized anyone.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:43 AM

Okay, I've found the series uneven in terms of funniness, but I laughed at Episode 7. Great stunt casting.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:12 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

"I'm only listening to HALF his opinion!"
Old 05-09-2019, 11:48 AM

Best show in years! Loved Pee-wee and Trejo in the episode.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:14 PM

When Danny Trejo started offering tech support I just about lost it.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:24 PM

Evan Rachel Wood: "You don't have to say my whole name. Just Evan--that's fine." (She was, of course, a vampire on True Blood.)

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 05-09-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Evan Rachel Wood: "You don't have to say my whole name. Just Evan--that's fine." (She was, of course, a vampire on True Blood.)
And Pee-Wee---Paul Reubens---was a vampire in the movie Buffy the Vampire Slayer; while Danny Trejo was a vampire in From Dusk Till Dawn. In fact, every celeb cameo was by someone who'd played a vampire; per Slate:

Quote:
• Tilda Swinton (Only Lovers Left Alive)
• Danny Trejo (From Dusk Till Dawn)
• Paul Reubens (the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie)
• Evan Rachel Wood (True Blood)
• Wesley Snipes (the Blade movies), via Skype
• Clement, Waititi, and Jonny Brugh (the What We Do in the Shadows movie)

...The council members also note the absent members who couldn’t make it to the meeting: “Kiefer” (Sutherland, of The Lost Boys), “Tom and Brad” (Cruise and Pitt, of Interview With the Vampire), and “Rob” (Pattinson, of you know).
https://slate.com/culture/2019/05/wh...-tribunal.html

If you haven't seen it, by the way, I highly recommend Paul Reubens' death scene in the Buffy movie. Classic hamming that goes on longer than you'd think possible.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
In fact, every celeb cameo was by someone who'd played a vampire

Not quite all of them.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
True--Bautista's connection with show co-creator Taika Waititi is their mutual involvement in Marvel Universe movies.

(That was in the article I linked, so I should have mentioned it in that post.)
Old 05-10-2019, 05:17 PM

I love that Tilda and the rest were just playing themselves.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
I love that Tilda and the rest were just playing themselves.
It was funny, and it was the perfect solution for a short (~20 minutes) show. They couldn't have established characters--names, back-stories, etc.--for so many new people in the time they had.

It kind of reminded me of the similar gag in Men in Black. But this worked on its own level.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
And Pee-Wee---Paul Reubens---was a vampire in the movie Buffy the Vampire Slayer; while Danny Trejo was a vampire in From Dusk Till Dawn. In fact, every celeb cameo was by someone who'd played a vampire; per Slate:

https://slate.com/culture/2019/05/wh...-tribunal.html

If you haven't seen it, by the way, I highly recommend Paul Reubens' death scene in the Buffy movie. Classic hamming that goes on longer than you'd think possible.
I didn't get the 'Rob' connection and mentioned to my partner that it's too bad "that Twilight dude" didn't do a cameo.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:16 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Kristen Schaal (the gliding lady) wasn’t a vampire but she was in “Flight of the Conchords” with Jermaine Clement.

If you aren’t hip to it, Clement, Waititi and Johnny Brugh were the vampires in the original movie and they revived the roles for this episode.

This show is fantastic, it makes me laugh out loud!!
Old 05-11-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Elliot View Post
I didn't get the 'Rob' connection and mentioned to my partner that it's too bad "that Twilight dude" didn't do a cameo.
For that matter, where was Barnabas Collins????

(Seriously, if they tried to represent all vampire-related stories, they would have needed to set the scene in a stadium.)
Old 05-13-2019, 09:18 AM

I had the last 2 episodes on my DVR and was finally able to watch them this weekend. I thought the episode where the Baron aka Barren wanted to go out on the town was one of the best so far. I laughed out loud so many times. Even my husband, who isn't into that kind of comedy stopped as he walked by and got into it. Of course, I had to pause numerous times and explain things he wasn't privy to.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Bump

Just discovered this show! What a hoot!

It's up on Hulu now if anyone is interested.

(I'm currious to know how they can afford all those cameos. lol)
Old 09-06-2019, 10:19 AM

If you like the show make sure you watch the movie.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post

(I'm currious to know how they can afford all those cameos. lol)
I saw in an interview with one of the writers that they weren't filmed together at the same time. They reached out to anybody who played vampires in film, filmed them separately, and then combined all in one scene. As for how they could afford to, I think there's some actor union thing that covers what to charge for cameos that isn't too cost-prohibitive. Some actors do cameos for free because it's fun, and they happen to be in the neighborhood. Wesley Snipes didn't come to the studio and did his cameo over Skype.