Old 08-22-2019, 07:04 AM

The mention of pizza beer reminded me of a garlic beer I got on the Isle of Wight. It would be great for making beef & ale stew, but was pretty nasty on its own.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:09 AM

I was mentally going through my list: Rauchbier, banana bread beer, Sriracha beer. Those are all contenders, but the weirdest one I've had was a 1,000 IBU beer by Mikeller. It was like hops soup.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Those are all contenders, but the weirdest one I've had was a 1,000 IBU beer by Mikeller. It was like hops soup.
Ahhh, the nasty twin.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:45 AM

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but I had a wonderful beer I Greece flavored with mastic, the resin from some tree that’s more commonly an ingredient in local chewing gums. It has a flavor all its own, a bit like mint but not quite. I think the beer might have been called “Chios,” which sounds like it could be the island it came from.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but I had a wonderful beer I Greece flavored with mastic, the resin from some tree that’s more commonly an ingredient in local chewing gums. It has a flavor all its own, a bit like mint but not quite. I think the beer might have been called “Chios,” which sounds like it could be the island it came from.
Mastic is sometimes called "tears of Chios" after that island where they harvest a lot of it, so that's possible.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Sam Adam's Utopias tasted like a Bual or Malmsey Madeira. Sweet, toffee, higher alcohol, smooth. Glad I wasnt buying it, but a neat, albeit strange experience. Even Tom Hardy's Ale didn't transform from beer into something else the way Utopias did.

Cave Creek Chile beer was unusual for how unusually nauseating the taste was. I like lighter lagers, I like chiles. Just not the two in the same bottle, I guess.
When I read the title to this thread, chile beer was the first thing that I thought of. Its been close to 40 years since the one time I had it but I think Cave Creek was the brand. I liked it!
Old 08-22-2019, 06:37 PM

Only beer I've had to pour out was an organic bacon beer at a PDX organic beer festival. There have been a few spicy (jalapeno, chile, etc.) beers that I've enjoyed, but far between. I haven't had favorable reactions to the Rogue/VooDoo pairings, but they are at least mostly drinkable.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:59 PM

I'm drinking a Room 309 right now, an ale flavored with truffle and black pepper. The pepper is mostly a slight aftertaste, not unpleasant, but weirdly tacked on, but thr truffle gives it a weird, metallic/earthy tang? Kinda hard to describe. Not really for me...
Old 08-26-2019, 02:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
I'm drinking a Room 309 right now, an ale flavored with truffle and black pepper. The pepper is mostly a slight aftertaste, not unpleasant, but weirdly tacked on, but thr truffle gives it a weird, metallic/earthy tang? Kinda hard to describe. Not really for me...
I like this review: "Pretty much the worst beer I've ever had. Earthy and dank with unpleasant mossy flavor."
Old 08-28-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
I like this review: "Pretty much the worst beer I've ever had. Earthy and dank with unpleasant mossy flavor."
I wouldn't quite go that far, though. While I didn't care much for the flavor, it was still a well-crafted beer---kinda like rap music, it's not really my thing, but I can appreciate the skill that went into creating it. Much worse are those beers that just fail at what they set out to do. The worst beer I have a record of is the Russian-brewed Neon Beer, for which my tasting notes simply read 'like having sex in a small boat'.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
For one thing, it's malt liquor not actual beer.
Fighting ignorance.

From Wikipedia: Malt liquor, in North America, is beer with high alcohol content. Legally, it often includes any alcoholic beverage with 5% or more alcohol by volume made with malted barley. In common usage, it refers to beers containing a high alcohol content, generally above 6%, which are made with ingredients and processes resembling those for American-style lagers.

BTW, my understanding is that "malt liquor" was a post prohibition holdover. Nowadays, in the craft beer section, it's extremely common to see beers that are above 6%. They no longer need to be labeled as "malt liquor" (at least in the states I've been to). I'm guessing Schlitz, Mickey's, etc keep the malt liquor name as branding and not as a legal requirement.

Lord almighty, that "beer" sounded vile.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:46 PM

Wow, I thought I'd never be able to compete with the real beer adventurers here, but I think mine is at least in the running.

The most unusual beer I've had was a curry beer. Seriously, it was flavored with Indian garam marsala spices and that's exactly what it tasted like. [Can't remember who made it, but from the US I'm pretty sure].

The second bottle sat in our fridge for I think six months until we could pawn it off on some unsuspecting friend of ours. It's not that it was horrible -- I've definitely tasted far more unpleasant things -- but it was just so much the opposite of what you want in a beer. It was like the opposite of pesto or gin and tonic: two tastes that were somehow made worse by combining them, even though a meal with garam marsala and beer in separate dishes is great.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:03 PM

Sweet beer?

The most unusual beer I’ve ever had is Gösser Dark (Austria). It is very sweet. I sometimes call it a “dessert beer,” an obvious play on sweet dessert wines. Once you get over the shock, it’s pretty good, but I wouldn’t drink it often.

A few other posts also mention sweet beers, but I won’t link to them. I respect the person who found the concept anathema, but as they say, “your mileage might vary.”