Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-04-2019, 01:23 AM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,179

"The Reliant", a movie about killing liberals


Hey, remember The Hunt, a movie supposedly about killing deplorables for fun? We had a thread about it: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/....php?t=880125s. I thought it was pretty likely that the redhats would turn out to be the protagonists of that film, but I guess we'll never know, because it got shitcanned.

But now the shoe is on the other foot! I bring news of The Reliant, in which Kevin Sorbo navigates a dystopian hellscape where guns are outlawed, and he has to take his Godfearing family on the run from molotov-hurling, dirtbike-riding, black clad hooligans. At one point Sorbo runs a protestor down with his car, because subtlety is not a strong suit of the Faith and Guns crowd.

In select theaters one night only!

https://www.thereliantmovie.com/

Trailer at this tweet: https://twitter.com/miniondeathcult/...755907587?s=19

ETA: This tweet is a work of art: https://twitter.com/HiddenKrypt/stat...823379457?s=19

Last edited by Defensive Indifference; 09-04-2019 at 01:24 AM.
  #2  
Old 09-04-2019, 02:15 AM
Grrr!'s Avatar
Grrr! is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 16,428
I'm not seeing on the internets that says it's about "killing liberals".

Quote:
After an innocent trip to the store ends in rioting and chaos, father of five, Rick (Kevin Sorbo) rushes home desperate to gather his family and find safety. His plans are dashed when the very same armed men suddenly appear, led by the ruthless Jack (Brian Bosworth). Caught in the deadly crossfire, the children are forced to seek shelter in the surrounding woods.
It's also a Christian faith based movie. No nudity or profanity despite it's R rating.
  #3  
Old 09-04-2019, 06:05 AM
Bill Door is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I'm not seeing on the internets that says it's about "killing liberals".



It's also a Christian faith based movie. No nudity or profanity despite it's R rating.
If anyone in this movie gets penetrated it will be by a knife; not a penis. That's the way God wants it.
  #4  
Old 09-04-2019, 06:12 AM
Sicks Ate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: KS, US
Posts: 6,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
I liked this exchange of replies :

[https://pbs]

relatable tweet poster

@redmilieu

·

3h

“Best film” at two made up film festivals

[https://pbs]

StillSteerage

@StillSteerage

·

6h

Replying to

@HiddenKrypt

and

@miniondeathcult

Not *THE* Great Lakes Christian Film Festival?! I’m sold
  #5  
Old 09-04-2019, 07:11 AM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,766
Kevin Sorbo and Brian Bosworth! That sounds amazing. Tell me Chachi is in it, too.
  #6  
Old 09-04-2019, 07:38 AM
steronz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 5,013
From their indiegogo looking for marketing dollars:

Quote:
Our marketing team has tried to reach out and solidify two powerful forces in America to maximize the impact of "The Reliant". Without a doubt, the lovers of the Second Amendment are a powerful political force, and Christian conservatives are a powerful moral force for positive change. But they rarely unite, however common their cause might be.

Looming ominously in the way of the success of "The Reliant" is Hollywood's censorship. The combined forces of Google, Twitter, Facebook, and the increasingly liberal "fake news media" shackle conservatives in the public realm of ideas. "The Reliant" needs a tsunami of "sharing" and "liking" from folks like YOU to overwhelm their attempts to minimize us. We need to fill theater seats on opening night to assure that the even more daring sequel to "The Reliant" will indeed become a reality. It is a challenge to create movies like "The Reliant", movies that reach outside of our comfort zone with a poignant message of redemption and defend our God-given liberties - but with God, all things are possible.
Must be hard out there for rich, white Christians. Dig deep, people.
  #7  
Old 09-04-2019, 07:38 AM
Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,263
The Reliant? Sounds like a good movie. I assume Bosworth in the Khan role? And Sorbo is the innocent Starfleet officer that gets in his way of galactic conquest.

I could watch that.
  #8  
Old 09-04-2019, 07:53 AM
Ike Witt's Avatar
Ike Witt is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lost in the mists of time
Posts: 14,782
It may not be about 'killing liberals' but it has a strong pro gun, christian conservative lean, and I don't doubt that some people who watch the movie will get the wrong ideas from it.

From the synopsis: " Sophie (Mollee Gray), who questions the morality of gun ownership but soon learns that in God all things are good, including her family’s Second Amendment right to defend themselves.

Rumor has it that the producers had wanted Charlton Heston in the film....
  #9  
Old 09-04-2019, 07:58 AM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Kevin Sorbo and Brian Bosworth! That sounds amazing. Tell me Chachi is in it, too.
Would you settle for Eric Roberts? Cuz he's in it.

To be fair, Roberts was pretty good in Heroes.
  #10  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:13 AM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,766
Yeah, I'll trade Chachi for Eric Roberts. With a lineup like that, this movie is destined for greatness.
  #11  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:19 AM
Dale Sams is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Would you settle for Eric Roberts? Cuz he's in it.

To be fair, Roberts was pretty good in Heroes.
HEY...HEYYYYYYY NO! NO!....NNNNNO.

Eric Roberts is more than "pretty good" in a lot of work.

....and he has bills to pay, so you don't get to drag Eric Roberts. The line must be drawn HEAH.
  #12  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:27 AM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 19,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
From the synopsis: " Sophie (Mollee Gray), who questions the morality of gun ownership but soon learns that in God all things are good, including her family’s Second Amendment right to defend themselves.
Oddly, the only thing I know about Mollee Gray (and don't ask me why) is that she's a married, out-and-proud lesbian. Which doesn't preclude her from being in a Christian film (or being a Christian herself, if she is*) but it still seems like an odd match for this particular flavor and intended audience of Christian film.

*Pre-post edit: Mormon
  #13  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:42 AM
El_Kabong's Avatar
El_Kabong is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle
Posts: 15,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
It may not be about 'killing liberals' but it has a strong pro gun, christian conservative lean, and I don't doubt that some people who watch the movie will get the wrong ideas from it.

From the synopsis: " Sophie (Mollee Gray), who questions the morality of gun ownership but soon learns that in God all things are good, including her family’s Second Amendment right to defend themselves.

Rumor has it that the producers had wanted Charlton Heston in the film....
God wrote the Second Amendment? I did not know that. Ignorance, er, fought to a standstill.
  #14  
Old 09-04-2019, 09:46 AM
Sunny Daze's Avatar
Sunny Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area Urban Sprawl
Posts: 12,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Hell yeah?
  #15  
Old 09-04-2019, 09:54 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 62,183
Kevin Sorbo has been in so many right-wing Christian films it is a wonder that he hasn't publicly apologized for portraying a false (half)god on television.
  #16  
Old 09-04-2019, 09:58 AM
Jophiel's Avatar
Jophiel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Chicago suburbia
Posts: 19,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
It may not be about 'killing liberals' but it has a strong pro gun, christian conservative lean, and I don't doubt that some people who watch the movie will get the wrong ideas from it.
The final second of the trailer promises a "Features a Discussion on Gun Advocacy" so maybe the audience can work through it then. I can't imagine a more fun cinema experience.
  #17  
Old 09-04-2019, 10:30 AM
TroutMan's Avatar
TroutMan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
...a dystopian hellscape where guns are outlawed...
Evidently Steadicams have been outlawed too.
  #18  
Old 09-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Robot Arm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 23,520
Quote:
Our marketing team has tried to reach out and solidify two powerful forces in America to maximize the impact of "The Reliant". Without a doubt, the lovers of the Second Amendment are a powerful political force, and Christian conservatives are a powerful moral force for positive change. But they rarely unite, however common their cause might be.
I wonder what color the sky is in their world.
  #19  
Old 09-04-2019, 10:39 AM
Mundane Super Hero is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 145
I never finished reading The Bible; it was slow and plodding, so I never got to the part where God wanted mankind to turn the earth into a gun-crazed dystopian nightmare.
  #20  
Old 09-04-2019, 10:55 AM
TroutMan's Avatar
TroutMan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Hell yeah?
The picture is a three-wheel Reliant car, a common punchline for cheap cars that roll over if you try to turn.
  #21  
Old 09-04-2019, 02:02 PM
carrps is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 820
It's obviously extremely low budget. I couldn't see more than a dozen people in any of the "crowd" scenes. Very cheap-looking.
  #22  
Old 09-04-2019, 06:04 PM
Johnny Q is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,811
"In God, all things are good."

Even bad things?
  #23  
Old 09-04-2019, 06:22 PM
Der Trihs's Avatar
Der Trihs is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Q View Post
"In God, all things are good."

Even bad things?
The usual argument in such cases is that God's desires are what define what is good, therefore anything God wants is automatically, by definition good. Even if it contradicts what he wanted ten minutes ago.
  #24  
Old 09-04-2019, 06:44 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 29,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
The picture is a three-wheel Reliant car, a common punchline for cheap cars that roll over if you try to turn.
I thought it would be about a Plymouth Reliant. I liked mine, though If it had lasted longer I was going to stencil CAR on its side because it was about the most generic car I ever drove.
  #25  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:36 PM
The Stainless Steel Rat's Avatar
The Stainless Steel Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Close to the Saturn V
Posts: 10,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
The picture is a three-wheel Reliant car, a common punchline for cheap cars that roll over if you try to turn.
To go even farther, the picture is from the British Show "Top Gear" where host Jeremy Clarkson drives (and rolls) a Reliant Robin all through the clip. Found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

Has Sorbo made anything close to a 'mainstream' movie in years? I think his work is pretty much all Christian films now.
  #26  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:51 PM
Ellis Dee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 14,432
Sorbo is one of those actors where if I see their name as the lead in a movie, my immediate thought is "hard pass." Other names on that list include Christian Slater, Kristanna Loken, and Stephen Dorff. In fairness, Dorff was great in True Detective, and in general he's very good as a supporting character, but whenever he gets the lead it seems to immediately turn into a B movie.

Others on my no-fly list include 80s action guys like Dolph Lundgren, JCVD, and Steven Seagal, all of whom seem to have a minimum of two recent movies per day, every day, on my cable system.
  #27  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:58 PM
Sicks Ate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: KS, US
Posts: 6,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
Sorbo is one of those actors where if I see their name as the lead in a movie, my immediate thought is "hard pass." Other names on that list include Christian Slater, Kristanna Loken, and Stephen Dorff. In fairness, Dorff was great in True Detective, and in general he's very good as a supporting character, but whenever he gets the lead it seems to immediately turn into a B movie.



Others on my no-fly list include 80s action guys like Dolph Lundgren, JCVD, and Steven Seagal, all of whom seem to have a minimum of two recent movies per day, every day, on my cable system.
Aw, you can't put Christian Slater in that list.
  #28  
Old 09-04-2019, 09:06 PM
Ellis Dee is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New England
Posts: 14,432
I like some of his older movies, which is also true of several other names I just put on blast. In fact, True Romance is one of my favorite movies of all time. I'm talking about any movie that came out in the past 10 to 15 years or so with any of those names as the lead.

It's only noteworthy to me because of the high frequency at which I see those names listed as leads in movies when checking the cable guide.
  #29  
Old 09-04-2019, 09:14 PM
Sicks Ate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: KS, US
Posts: 6,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
I like some of his older movies, which is also true of several other names I just put on blast. In fact, True Romance is one of my favorite movies of all time. I'm talking about any movie that came out in the past 10 to 15 years or so with any of those names as the lead.

It's only noteworthy to me because of the high frequency at which I see those names listed as leads in movies when checking the cable guide.
Fair enough but man, still kinda harsh
  #30  
Old 09-04-2019, 09:31 PM
garygnu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 11,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
God wrote the Second Amendment? I did not know that. Ignorance, er, fought to a standstill.
It's "love by the sword, die by the sword." Don't say nuttin 'about guns!

(and/or they're taking Matthew 10:34-36 violently literally).
__________________
°o°
  #31  
Old 09-04-2019, 11:29 PM
MacSpon is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
It's "love by the sword, die by the sword."
I'd have thought that if you love by the sword, your partner will die by the sword.
  #32  
Old 09-05-2019, 06:42 AM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Eric Roberts [...] has bills to pay
This explains The King's Guard
  #33  
Old 09-05-2019, 07:01 AM
Alessan's Avatar
Alessan is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 24,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
This explains The King's Guard
That explains why Roberts has appeared in twenty-six different movies and TV shows in 2019 alone. And the year isn't over yet.

Last edited by Alessan; 09-05-2019 at 07:01 AM.
  #34  
Old 09-05-2019, 07:23 AM
MrAtoz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
Has Sorbo made anything close to a 'mainstream' movie in years? I think his work is pretty much all Christian films now.
He was in a few episodes of Supergirl in 2017, until Teri Hatcher killed him. That's the only "mainstream" acting that I've seen him do in quite awhile.
  #35  
Old 09-05-2019, 01:06 PM
MrDibble's Avatar
MrDibble is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 26,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtoz View Post
He was in a few episodes of Supergirl in 2017, until Teri Hatcher killed him. That's the only "mainstream" acting that I've seen him do in quite awhile.
He was in a Key&Peele skit. Briefly.
  #36  
Old 09-05-2019, 02:46 PM
joebuck20 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
That explains why Roberts has appeared in twenty-six different movies and TV shows in 2019 alone. And the year isn't over yet.
Yeah, say what you will about the guy, but he doesn't seem to be hurting for work. He also occasionally manages to score a role in big budget mainstream tentpole flicks like "The Dark Knight" and "The Expendables."

Last edited by joebuck20; 09-05-2019 at 02:48 PM.
  #37  
Old 09-06-2019, 01:51 PM
puddleglum's Avatar
puddleglum is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a van down by the river
Posts: 6,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I'm not seeing on the internets that says it's about "killing liberals".
He just sees hordes of criminals attacking innocent people in the trailer and assumes that they are liberal. Easy assumption but may not be accurate.
  #38  
Old 09-06-2019, 07:25 PM
Grestarian is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Garage & Lab
Posts: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrps View Post
It's obviously extremely low budget. I couldn't see more than a dozen people in any of the "crowd" scenes. Very cheap-looking.
You need to renew your eyeglass prescription!
That crowd was absolutely YUUUUUUge!
Almost as big as the last Presidential inauguration crowd.

---G!
Or maybe it was the poor camera angle again....
  #39  
Old 09-07-2019, 06:14 AM
Icerigger's Avatar
Icerigger is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 3,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
The Reliant? Sounds like a good movie. I assume Bosworth in the Khan role? And Sorbo is the innocent Starfleet officer that gets in his way of galactic conquest.

I could watch that.
Yeah, my first thought was their making a film about the Miranda Class Starship, after all they are still in service!!
  #40  
Old 09-07-2019, 06:57 AM
Blank Slate's Avatar
Blank Slate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
Yeah, say what you will about the guy, but he doesn't seem to be hurting for work. He also occasionally manages to score a role in big budget mainstream tentpole flicks like "The Dark Knight" and "The Expendables."
Not hurting for work is an understatement. He has 547 credits on IMDB..
  #41  
Old 09-07-2019, 05:35 PM
E-DUB's Avatar
E-DUB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,759
Remember when righties could make good propaganda? I'm talking "Birth of a Nation" or "Triumph of the Will". Sad.
  #42  
Old 09-07-2019, 06:23 PM
Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 22,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundane Super Hero View Post
I never finished reading The Bible; it was slow and plodding, so I never got to the part where God wanted mankind to turn the earth into a gun-crazed dystopian nightmare.
Spoiler Alert!
SPOILER:
It turns out the whole this was Pilate Error
  #43  
Old 09-07-2019, 06:56 PM
Sicks Ate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: KS, US
Posts: 6,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Spoiler Alert!
SPOILER:
It turns out the whole this was Pilate Error
Oh no, you didn't just.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017