Old 09-07-2019, 07:30 AM

Carol Lynley passes at age 77.

Carol Lynley died of a heart attack on September 3 at her home in Pacific Palisades, California.

The news articles focus on her role in The Poseidon Adventure (the original, of course).

She had a pretty good run of stuff in the early 60s: Harlow (title role), Bunny Lake Is Missing, The Pleasure Seekers, Under the Yum Yum Tree, and The Stripper.

Turned to doing Fantasy Island and other TV guest stuff for the most part in the 70s despite Poseidon. Was fairly active up to the 90s. Oblig. IMDb link.

It is sort of surprising for a film so old that 4 of the group in The Poseidon Adventure are still going. (Pamela Sue Martin is the only one still working in the biz.)

Am I remembering things wrong or was she sort of the love interest of Red Buttons in the movie? She was 30, he was 51.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:14 AM

You remember correctly.

Two words: HOT PANTS!
Old 09-07-2019, 08:54 AM

I didn't realize until much, much later that she was Carl Kolchak's girlfriend in the original, "The Night Stalker," TVM.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
I didn't realize until much, much later that she was Carl Kolchak's girlfriend in the original, "The Night Stalker," TVM.
Also the girlfriend of Christopher George's character, Ben Richards, in "The Immortal" TVM. (Both "Immortal" and Night Stalker" were were ABC "Movie if the Week". Both spawned series that lasted one season.

Ran across this amusing tidbit from IMDB: "Notice in the TV movie "The Night Stalker" (1972) when the refrigerator containing blood is opened there's blood labeled "Benjamin Richards". Obviously a left over prop."
Old 09-07-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Also the girlfriend of Christopher George's character, Ben Richards, in "The Immortal" TVM. (Both "Immortal" and Night Stalker" were were ABC "Movie if the Week". Both spawned series that lasted one season.
Have we uncovered a Carol Lynley Curse ( la Paula Marshall)?

Quote:
Ran across this amusing tidbit from IMDB: "Notice in the TV movie "The Night Stalker" (1972) when the refrigerator containing blood is opened there's blood labeled "Benjamin Richards". Obviously a left over prop."
Old 09-07-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Am I remembering things wrong or was she sort of the love interest of Red Buttons in the movie? She was 30, he was 51.
From IMDB:
Quote:
Red Buttons and Carol Lynley, whose characters fall in love in the movie, actually disliked each other intensely during filming. They refused to have anything to do with each other, except when the cameras were rolling. Ironically, after being constantly reminded of this, they ended up becoming great friends in later years.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
Not to hijack, but it does beg the question: What would happen if a vampire drank the blood of an immortal?
Old 09-07-2019, 01:48 PM

Wait just a minute: Ben Richards is the name of Arnold Schwarzenegger's character in, "The Running Man." What's going on here?
Old 09-07-2019, 03:31 PM

Ben Richards was the name of Christopher George's character in the late 1960's TV movie and later Series "The Immortal". It was based, loosely, on a novel by James Gunn (no, not the director guy) and was about a guy whose blood made him age and disease proof. It was discovered that a transfusion from him would temporarily confer this same immunity to the recipient. This resulted in him being persued by a couple of billionaires who wanted to use him as their own private blood bank. I've seen "The Running Man", based, loosely, on a novel by Stephen King (no, not the racist Congresscritter) originally published under his Richard Bachman pen name, but did not recall that it (the movie, not the book) used the "Richards" name for its protagonist. Perhaps it was an homage.

Last edited by E-DUB; 09-07-2019 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-07-2019, 07:20 PM

An early crush of mine. Back when the Saturday night babysitter would let us watch TV until the folks got home. She was in a couple movies that turned up on the Saturday night movie.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:03 PM

I liked her in Bunny Lake is Missing. Keir Dullea was his co-star. Guess what he was like?
Old 09-09-2019, 07:55 AM

I happened to catch Bunny Lake is Missing in TCM yesterday, and it I thought "oh, I forgot Carol Lynley is in this" which led me to think of The Poseidon Adventure. I wonder if it was shown because of her passing or if it was a coincidence.

RIP, Carol. You are a big part of my best tv and movie viewing history.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

I saw it too. They had a note on the screen after the movie which said it had already been planned for showing, before her recent death.
She was very beautiful.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:53 AM

I caught Bunny Lake on TCM also. First time I watched it from beginning to end, a better movie than I remembered. It's the movie I remember her from. She did a lot of TV but I rarely noticed, in my mind she was a movie star.

I am always on the lookout for the Carol Lynley version of Harlow. I recall seeing a bit of it very long ago, Efram Zimbalist Jr. was in this version the only way I know it wasn't the Carol Baker movie. It didn't get great reviews but I'd still like to see the whole thing some day.