Old 08-28-2019, 09:51 AM

There are 'Fire Farms'. AE missions with enemies that only do fire damage. Even after a bit of a nerf, they are incredible XP and influence factories.
-Official Doper Brat #007- When life gives you harlequins, make a harlequinade.
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera / I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina. / I defend the little kids/ and I level downtown Tokyo/ in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Whereas I have a science controller, a magic blaster, a magic scrapper, a magic tank, a natural mastermind, and a mutant widow. I like variety.

From what I've heard, the quickest path to 50 is Architect Entertainment. Apparently some folks have made AE missions that are just pure XP farms. I'm guessing they're high-level melee-only enemies kept at a safe distance from the player?
I dunno about quickest, but you can buy the experience boosts from the P2W vendor, and then do task forces or the mothership raid (might have a level requirement) to level quickly.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:08 PM

Hereís an article about AE getting nerfed:
https://massivelyop.com/2019/05/01/c...ter-transfers/

Itís almost 4 months old though. So they might have eased up on the nerfs since then.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Hereís an article about AE getting nerfed:
https://massivelyop.com/2019/05/01/c...ter-transfers/
This sounds a lot like what happened in the Live game. AE was going, they nerfed the hell out of xp and then everyone stopped using AE except maybe as component farms. Few people do content for "the story" if there's no other reward.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

I find that the double-XP "cheat", plus the bonus for not having played a character for a while combine to make very fast leveling. I basically only do one contact at a time, and even then I was out-leveling them. I'll have to go back and finish story arcs at some point.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

It depends on how often you're playing, and how many characters you're working on. Though I suppose that patrol XP mitigates that issue: If you're only on one particular character once a week, then you're accumulating a week's worth of patrol XP each time.

Overall, I think that they did a good job of balancing the things that actually need to be balanced, and not sweating the things that don't need it.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Overall, I think that they did a good job of balancing the things that actually need to be balanced, and not sweating the things that don't need it.
I very much agree; they got it right.

I never got to level 50 in the original release, because the upper levels were a slog to go through. It became less and less fun to play a character as it got higher in level. Thus the innumerable alts I had. With the Homecoming version, I'm finding it more fun to play as I go up in level. I'm feeling less of an urge to play my alts now, instead of more.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:04 AM

I got Flaminatrix to 43 last night. I finished up Indigo and Crimson's arc, dealing with Malta, but I also did a round of Tip missions + Morality mission, and those seemed to generate a lot more XP.

I also added a Reward Merit Vending Machine to the SG base. I plopped it in the middle of the floor just inside the room with the crafting tables, just so it would be immediately visible to people entering the base. Balanced can go ahead and relocate it to a better location if desired. I mentioned needing one in there when we were doing the Citadel TF the other day, and somebody (not sure if it was Balanced) asked, "You can do that?", so I assume the option wasn't noticed because of the "arcane" theme of the base - the machine is in the "tech" object sections. I've noticed there are some objects of one type or the other whose functionality is not duplicated. The "tech" tabs don't offer the Ouroboros crystal thing, while the arcane tabs don't appear to have an equivalent to tech's "Mission Computer", which allows you to purchase Tip & Morality missions with Merits.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

For those of you interested earning influence via the auction house, here is what I've been doing.

For 1 reward merit, you can buy 3 enhancement converters. For 10, you can buy 30. Each of these can be auctioned for about 85k influence (prices fluctuate from about 70k to 100k).

Instead of selling the converters, you can use them. Get a yellow invention recipe, either a drop you received, or bought for less than 10k on the auction house. At a workbench, create the enhancement. If you don't have all the ingredients, buy from the auction house for about 1k each. You now have a yellow enhancement. You can check its selling price on the auction house, but it's probably not very high.

Open up the conversion window from the enhancement tab. Drag the enhancement to the input (top) box. Click so that you're converting to the same type. It will cost 2 enhancement converters (if it says 1 or 3, you're doing it wrong). Click convert--this will turn your yellow enhancement into another enhancement. If you're not unlucky, it will be an orange enhancement. If it's still yellow, try again.

Check the auction price of your new orange enhancement. If it's selling for 1M or more, then sell it. Otherwise, convert it again. Set the converter so it costs 1 convert (not 2 nor 3). You will convert it to another orange enhancement. Re-evaluate price, and so on.

You can also craft orange enhancements directly, if you got the recipe as a drop. (Evaluate price and crafting costs if you buy a recipe.)

If you run out of enhancement converters, buy more from the merit vendor or the auction house.

With starting capital of 90 enhancement converters and several million influence, I've made well over 100M doing this. It's not a fast method, unless you really underprice your auctions, but it's worthwhile trade of your time for other players' influence.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Another tip: when you sell a yellow or orange invention enhancement (or recipe) on the auction house, no matter what level it is, players can buy it at any level. That is, if you craft a level 37 enhancement and put it up for sale, it could be bought at any valid level (often 30-50). You can change the level of your own enhancement by putting it up for sale and then buying it at the level you want.

But, you do not want to buy a yellow or orange enhancement at a fixed level. Instead, you want to buy them as "attuned". That means the enhancement's level floats to always match your level (even when sidekicked or exemplared). This is very useful! If you buy a yellow or orange enhancement, always buy an attuned one, for maximum utility.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:53 AM

That's great info, Pleonast - how do you buy them as attuned, though?
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera / I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina. / I defend the little kids/ and I level downtown Tokyo/ in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandidGamera View Post
That's great info, Pleonast - how do you buy them as attuned, though?
In the auction house interface in the upper left corner, under Enhancements, there's a subcategory of Attuned. It's then sorted by type of enhancement and then by set.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:41 PM

And to make sure you can rebuy your own, I assume you just want to slam a high price on it?
Old 08-30-2019, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And to make sure you can rebuy your own, I assume you just want to slam a high price on it?
Maybe, but I think not. This part I'm not clear on. I'd recommend asking in the Help channel.

But let me think through it. Let's say the going price is 1M. First, you put your enhancement up for sale at 10M. Then, you put in a buy order for the same enhancement, but attuned, for 10M. What I think happens is you'll buy the enhancement for 10M that has the lowest asking price. That is, not yours. So you'll be out 10M, still have your enhancement on the auction house, plus the one you just bought at an inflated price.

Let's try the other way. First, you put in a buy order at 1k. Then you put your enhancement up for sale at 1k. I'm not sure, but I think whoever has the highest buy order will get it, for the price they bid. So you'll have about 1M from selling your enhancement, but no enhancement yourself.

So I think it's best to buy and sell near the going price.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Just buy and sell for the going price. The one you buy might or might not be your own, but if it's the going price, yours will sell relatively quickly, too. Certainly don't set an inflated price in an effort to get your own, because even if it works, you'll end up paying inflated auction fees.

And speaking of base items, I notice that we have an empty teleporter, but do not have any teleporter to any echo zone, nor to Praetoria proper (Nova Praetoria, Imperial City, Neutropolis). How does one set those up?
Old 08-30-2019, 09:44 PM

*Can* you teleport directly to Echo Zones?
Old 08-30-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
*Can* you teleport directly to Echo Zones?
There are beacons for a couple of them in the base-building tools. Echo: Galaxy City, and another I can't recall.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

The other beacon is likely for the original Dark Astoria.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:34 AM

Well, in that case, someone needs to be in supergroup mode and collect all the exploration badges for a given zone, to make the beacon available.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:55 AM

I don't think those requirements still exist. I made bases with very low-level characters, and all of the beacons were available from the get-go.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:13 AM

Remember also that when using the auction house, patience = money. People pay top dollar to get things NOW and you will pay a lot less if you're willing to wait.

My most powerful tool for getting what I want and getting it at a good price has been "giving up and going to bed." Set a low bid and go play a character not dependent on this bid coming in. Sometimes it takes a few days, but usually overnight seems to be enough.

Real-life example: this past weekend I wanted an attuned Sudden Acceleration Knockback-to-Knockdown IO. They were selling for 6.77 million to 10 million, mostly 10 million, with a lot of bids listed. I tried a few lowball bids, 2 million or so, then inched higher, but up to 7 million I still wasn't getting any joy. So I cleared those bids (you get a full refund for canceling a bid) and put in a bid for just over 4 million and went to bed.

In the morning I had won the bid for 4 million and had my prize, and the last 5 sales all showed 10 million. I probably could have picked it up even more cheaply, frankly, as I recently saw someone snuck one out for 1.2 million.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

You can also, if you're patient, make money by finding things that are listed at the wrong price, and re-selling them at the going rate. One extreme of this is low-level enhancements that can vendor for more than you can auction them for, though it'd be really slow to make serious money that way.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
You can also, if you're patient, make money by finding things that are listed at the wrong price, and re-selling them at the going rate. One extreme of this is low-level enhancements that can vendor for more than you can auction them for, though it'd be really slow to make serious money that way.
That seems common, something being sold for 500 that gets 5,000 at a vendor. But if you wanted to get the millions for an attuned enhancement youíd have to make this kind of transaction thousands of times.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
In the morning I had won the bid for 4 million and had my prize, and the last 5 sales all showed 10 million. I probably could have picked it up even more cheaply, frankly, as I recently saw someone snuck one out for 1.2 million.
Iím often bemused that the best PvP in a MMO is at the auction house.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
Iím often bemused that the best PvP in a MMO is at the auction house.
Just like in real life.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:31 AM

Could be! My data is, like, eight years out of date.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:36 AM

How about the Snipe changes?

Quote:
Powers: Snipes

ē General Changes
o ToHit is no longer required to achieve fast-snipe. Now, combat status determines if snipes are fast or slow, and ToHit buffs increase how much damage fast-snipe inflicts.
o The snipe will be fast if you have attacked or been attacked in the last 8 seconds; this is the same time as Stalker's Hide.
o Note that PvP scale is based only around the PvP damage formula. ToHit buffs and debuffs do not change quick snipe damage in PvP.
o The following fast snipe animations have been synced with their FX, no cast time changes: Moonbeam, Zapp, Sniper Blast, Proton Volley (they all remain at their original 1.33 second duration.)
o Added a new PVP IO Snipe set "Experienced Marksman"; includes proc that will always turn your Snipes into the fast version.

ē Blaster/Defender/Corruptor Snipes
o 12 second recharge and 14.352 end cost.
o Base 2.28 scale damage in their "quick" form, down from 2.76 scale.
o Every point of ToHit buffing the player has will increase or decrease this damage, up to a cap of 2.76 scale damage with +22% ToHit buff.
o Slow form will do 4.5 scale damage.

ē Dominator Snipes
o 20 second recharge and 18.512 end cost.
o Base 2.67 scale damage in their "quick" form, down from 3.56 scale.
o Every point of ToHit buffing the player has will increase or decrease this damage, up to a cap of 3.56 scale damage with +22% ToHit buff.
o Slow form will do 4.5 scale damage.

ē Epic Snipes
o Will now have a base 1.75 scale damage in their quick form.
o Every point of ToHit buffing the player has will increase or decrease this damage, up to a cap of 2.3 scale damage with +22% ToHit buff.
o Slow form will do 3.56 scale damage
o Slow form crits will do 3.56 + 1.78 scale damage.
o Scrappers should now properly crit 10% of the time, instead of using Stalker requirements.
I really like the change. The 4.5 damage scale for the out-of-combat slow snipe makes it really hard-hitting; it's more attractive as an opener now. Feels like a headshot! And it has "Sniper shot!" text floating up from your target to help clarify the difference between the slower, harder hit and the fast snipe.

Also several of my characters have much nicer attack chains with the fast snipe now available for routine rotation.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:14 PM

I like the snipe changes. My blaster can sometimes one shot even-level minions with it.

On the downside, I seem to have hit a roadblock on the Incarnate quest line. I'm supposed to go take out a base that has at least two Elite Bosses, three portals, and approximately 1 metric buttload of summoned critters. I've tried, but just can't solo it. I guess I'll have to try to get a team to do it...which I hate. Strongly prefer to solo major story line material. Sigh.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
On the downside, I seem to have hit a roadblock on the Incarnate quest line. I'm supposed to go take out a base that has at least two Elite Bosses, three portals, and approximately 1 metric buttload of summoned critters. I've tried, but just can't solo it. I guess I'll have to try to get a team to do it...which I hate. Strongly prefer to solo major story line material. Sigh.
The default difficulty setting is one up from the lowest so, if you haven't touched the difficulty, you can knock it down a notch.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

A lot of people are grumbling about the snipe changes, but I don't think there's actually any situation where they're nerfed now relative to what they used to be. And some situations where they're buffed significantly, from "not possible" to "another attack in your chain".
Old 09-05-2019, 05:23 PM

Yeah I skipped snipe powers in the past because they seemed too situational. (I’m thinking specifically of Darkness ranged attacks where you get a snipe very early.) I might try one now.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:12 AM

Love the snipe changes.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
The default difficulty setting is one up from the lowest so, if you haven't touched the difficulty, you can knock it down a notch.
That worked! It was still an epic battle, burned through all my inspirations and had only a sliver of health left when it was over. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-09-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Great! I had a similar problem with soloing my Electric/Electric Blaster toward the end of the Praetorian content.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:46 PM

I've started knocking some of my more fragile alts down to -1, at least until they hit 22 and can equip SOs. I was getting frustrated with so many missions seeming to pop +1 to me, and even the ones that are generally at-level seem to be front-loaded with +1 mobs. Kinda frustrating walking into missions and having to deal with orange lieutenants that I can barely even hit as soon as I walk in the door, not to mention the mooks up front being more difficult than the named guy at the end
Old 09-10-2019, 10:55 AM

Which alts does everyone have in CECIL?

I've got Doc Salvage, Shadow Stranger, Hellfury, and Salary Man.

Last edited by CandidGamera; 09-10-2019 at 10:55 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-10-2019, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Which alts does everyone have in CECIL?

I've got Doc Salvage, Shadow Stranger, Hellfury, and Salary Man.
I can't remember what all I have. I put a "note" in the supergroup listing for each of them indicating they were mine, but I don't know if anyone else can see that.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Mine are, in rough order of level:
Peskipiksi, electrical/ice blaster
Dr. Clockwerk, gravity/time controller
Bridgekeeper, savage/regen scrapper
Inhuman Cannonball, invuln/strength tanker
Colonel Murphy, mercs/traps mastermind (Praetorian resistance)
Fortunate Daughter, widow (currently villain, will eventually redeem)
Monopole, force/rad defender
Speed Freek, street/bio brute (villain and will remain so)
Nubermensch, pistols/traps blaster (probably won't ever level him up, don't remember if I invited him)
Old 09-10-2019, 01:26 PM

I have no alts in CECIL, just my main (Swift Justice). I should add my alts, I have 7 of them on the server, I just haven’t gotten around to bringing in any of them.

Here are my characters:

Swift Justice, martial arts/invuln Scrapper hero
Rainmaster, storm/water Defender hero
Trouble Shooter, dual pistols/bio armor Sentinel villain
Killer Eel, savage strikes/elec armor Brute villain
Erl King, necromancy/time manip Mastermind Praetorian
Jade Panther, claws/willpower Stalker Praetorian

Last edited by Atamasama; 09-10-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:35 PM

Flaminatrix - Fire! Fire! Fire! blaster
Roentgen Bull - SS/Rad brute
Goldbar - Kin/Inv scrapper
Teardrops - SS/Inv brute
Savior Machine - Titan Weapons/Energy Aura brute
Triple-N - Ninja/Ninj stalker
Heartbeat of America - Elec/Elec scrapper
Seahawk - Water/Willpower sentinel
Old 09-11-2019, 08:19 AM

I got Hellfury up to 34 last night - hoping to gear her up for fire farms soon.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

So, just why are the farms fire? Is there some easy way to get strong protection against fire damage?

And has anyone ever made a "fire farm" where all of the enemies are just Flambeaux, and you get to kill her repeatedly, over and over?
Old 09-12-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
And has anyone ever made a "fire farm" where all of the enemies are just Flambeaux, and you get to kill her repeatedly, over and over?
I would not do that for experience or influence or any other reward aside from the pleasure of permanently shutting her up over and over again.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
So, just why are the farms fire? Is there some easy way to get strong protection against fire damage?
I believe it has to do with a combination of factors, but basically.. yeah. Fire damage resistance is trivial to cap for Fiery Armor, plus you have AoE attacks built into the defensive set. Pair it with an AoE heavy offense set (Rad, Spines.. or Fire), and you're generally good to go. Fiery Armor also has a self-heal, an endurance restoration power, and a self-Rez.

I've heard some of the AE designers may be tinkering with a Smash/Lethal farm, which is easy to cap for Invulnerability, but Invuln doesn't have some of Fiery Armor's other advantages.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I believe it has to do with a combination of factors, but basically.. yeah. Fire damage resistance is trivial to cap for Fiery Armor, plus you have AoE attacks built into the defensive set. Pair it with an AoE heavy offense set (Rad, Spines.. or Fire), and you're generally good to go. Fiery Armor also has a self-heal, an endurance restoration power, and a self-Rez.

I've heard some of the AE designers may be tinkering with a Smash/Lethal farm, which is easy to cap for Invulnerability, but Invuln doesn't have some of Fiery Armor's other advantages.
Right. Burn is a great attack built into Fiery Aura.

But also, and of particular note, Fiery Aura has a damage "aura" toggle that will constantly damage foes around you. Darrk Armor has one as well, and Spines, along with maybe a few of the newer sets. While such damage auras are useful to attract and retain aggro, they appear to do little damage to foes.

That appearance is deceiving.

Over the course of a long continuous fight against many foes -- a condition seldom achieved in regular play but absolutely dirt common in farming -- these auras do a huge amount of damage and greatly speed up farming. All the time your other AoEs are on cooldown, auras are damaging foes. All the time you're actively attacking, auras are ALSO damaging foes at the same time. It's not especially awesome on regular mission with a team, because everyone else will be outkilling your aura substantially. But alone in a farm it's huge.

Note that Spines, mentioned above, is an offensive set -- you can combine it with Fiery Aura or Dark Armor and get TWO damage auras.

That's probably the main reason Spines/Fiery Aura Brutes are the most popular farming characters by an order of magnitude.

Couple that amazing damage with the ease of getting to the 90% resist cap for Fire damage type on Tankers* and Brutes and you have the Fire Farm.

*Despite much lower damage potential than Brutes, Fiery Aura tankers turn out to be adequate farmers, albeit a step below Brutes. Burn plus Blazing Aura, coupled with a couple of cones or PBAoEs in the secondary, can do pretty well even at Tanker damage if you're farming at +0/+1 and not +4.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Ah, so fire farms only work for specific character builds, and everyone else has to get to 50 the hard way. Or at least, a harder way.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:38 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Friday, Armoury joined a pickup team. I'd forgotten how much fun it was to do that.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
Friday, Armoury joined a pickup team. I'd forgotten how much fun it was to do that.
I think that this is the best game Iím ever done a PUG in. This isnít like WoW where you have yet another tank and a priest and a rogue. The vast variety of appearances, abilities, and so on, you have no idea who youíll be with. I love dropping into a group of randos and seeing what cool stuff people have come up with, then fighting side-by-side with them. It just feels special to me, like being in a Marvel team-up issue.

Plus, it seems like people in general are cooler and more friendly/helpful than most MMOs. Probably because people playing CoH are doing it because they love it and not because itís the hit new thing being advertised on web sites that their friends are playing.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
Right. Burn is a great attack built into Fiery Aura.

But also, and of particular note, Fiery Aura has a damage "aura" toggle that will constantly damage foes around you. Darrk Armor has one as well, and Spines, along with maybe a few of the newer sets. While such damage auras are useful to attract and retain aggro, they appear to do little damage to foes.

That appearance is deceiving.

Over the course of a long continuous fight against many foes -- a condition seldom achieved in regular play but absolutely dirt common in farming -- these auras do a huge amount of damage and greatly speed up farming. All the time your other AoEs are on cooldown, auras are damaging foes. All the time you're actively attacking, auras are ALSO damaging foes at the same time. It's not especially awesome on regular mission with a team, because everyone else will be outkilling your aura substantially. But alone in a farm it's huge.

Note that Spines, mentioned above, is an offensive set -- you can combine it with Fiery Aura or Dark Armor and get TWO damage auras.

That's probably the main reason Spines/Fiery Aura Brutes are the most popular farming characters by an order of magnitude.

Couple that amazing damage with the ease of getting to the 90% resist cap for Fire damage type on Tankers* and Brutes and you have the Fire Farm.

*Despite much lower damage potential than Brutes, Fiery Aura tankers turn out to be adequate farmers, albeit a step below Brutes. Burn plus Blazing Aura, coupled with a couple of cones or PBAoEs in the secondary, can do pretty well even at Tanker damage if you're farming at +0/+1 and not +4.
Yep. I will add that Radiation Melee has a damage Aura as well, so it works pretty well. (I really, really hate Spines.)
Old 09-16-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Ah, so fire farms only work for specific character builds, and everyone else has to get to 50 the hard way. Or at least, a harder way.
Or team up with a Fire Farmer. There are other farm methods that are less popular.. I have seen mostly Brutes/Scrapper/Tanker builds, and I think there are a few Controller/Dom options, though with more risk.

Though honestly, the DFB and DIB trials will get you through the low levels damn quick for any character.