Old 09-11-2019, 10:11 AM

Why can I not open my eyelids after dilating eye drops?

When I go to the eye doctor and they want to dilate my pupils, they put in the eye drops.

It stings a bit, and I think that is normal. However, even in the dark room, I have a very hard time opening my eyelids after the drops. They feel like they have 5 pound weights tied to them and I am physically unable to open them more than 1/4 of the way open.

This prevents the optometrist from doing what he normally wants to do, so he ends up using his fingers to physically open my eyelids. He seems a little irritated by this, but not extremely surprised.

By the time I leave the office, the world is bright of course, but I do not have the same heavy eyelid problem.

Is this common or uncommon? For either answer, why does this happen?

Last edited by Hermitian; 09-11-2019 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar, as usual
Old 09-11-2019, 10:48 AM
A Rather Dubious Fellow Indeed

Sounds like the eye drops are relaxing/paralyzing the muscles of your eyelid. Not uncommon, it seems:

Quote:
Dilating eye drops contain medication to enlarge (dilate) the pupil of the eye. There are two types of drops: one type stimulates contraction of the muscles that enlarge the pupil (such as phenylephrine); the other type relaxes the muscles that make the pupil constrict and also relaxes the muscle that focus the lens of the eye (such as cyclopentolate). These two kinds of medications are often used together, either as two separate drops or as a single combination drop.
Source [PDF]: AAPOS

Last edited by mjmlabs; 09-11-2019 at 10:49 AM. Reason: tidying up a bit