Old 10-16-2017, 07:35 AM

Mindhunter (Netflix)

Mindhunter released the first season on Netflix this past Friday, and I watched the entire season Friday night - Saturday morning. I really enjoyed it and found the subject matter gripping. I have always had a fascination with how criminal profiling works (not so much that I've ever read any books or studied it in any way) and have loved watching it being done in TV and movies.

The show started off a little slow for me (with the exception of the hostage taker blowing his own head off in the first 5 minutes). Once Holden started traveling with Tench I started to see potential. Once the first interview with Kemper took place I knew I was hooked.

I don't really care for Dr. Carr's character at all. I started off liking her, but as it became clear she had completely different goals for the project than either Holden or Tench I started liking her less and less. Especially when it became clear that she would throw them under the bus. Also, I really could have done without the love story between Holden and his hippie GF. The relationship portion of the show seemed really slow to me. I did like the aspect of Tench's family life being difficult for him and the problems he was having with his adopted son.

All in all I really enjoyed the show and am kind of wishing I hadn't watched it all so quickly. Now I have to wait at least a year for more of it.

What did/do you guys think fo the show so far?
Old 10-18-2017, 02:41 PM

Just watched the first episode today. So far, so good. I feel like I'll need to get a few more episode in before I can really judge.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:49 PM

So is it my Netflix, or is there some artificial bad recording noise in some scenes? Particularly when they are outside.

Last edited by Paintcharge; 10-18-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

I was underwhelmed by the first episode, particularly the dialogue, which struck me as really... dialogue-y. Actors reciting lines at each other rather than real people talking. My wife was ready to bail, but I gave it another shot.

It improved a lot in the second episode, IMO, after they begin interacting with the serial killers. I think we're about six episodes in, and despite some quibbles, enjoying it. The actor playing Holden doesn't really stand out in any way, but that seems to be somewhat intentional and suits the character. The hippie girlfriend looks like a Photoshop morph of two or three well-known actresses whom I haven't quite quite placed yet, which is bugging me.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
The hippie girlfriend looks like a Photoshop morph of two or three well-known actresses whom I haven't quite quite placed yet, which is bugging me.
I'm going with Jordana Brewster and Winnie from The Wonder Years.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
The hippie girlfriend looks like a Photoshop morph of two or three well-known actresses whom I haven't quite quite placed yet, which is bugging me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
I'm going with Jordana Brewster and Winnie from The Wonder Years.
She's the daughter of the Mountie from Due South!
Old 10-21-2017, 02:58 PM

I binged this show while I was on vacation this week. My husband and I were supposed to watch it together but I sat up one night and accidentally finished the season (sorry honey!).

I enjoyed it. I remember reading Mind Hunter by John Douglas and like that kind of stuff - I find the serial killer books interesting and I enjoy watching them slowly come up with terms we use often now for the different types, etc.... I am not sure how I feel about Dr. Carr. I want to like her because I love the actress Anna Torv since she was on Fringe. I don't think about her throwing them under the bus so much as having a clear goal with the study and no letting the shenanigans of the others get in the way. Debra is... just the worst.

Let's take a moment to appreciate my favorite character in the show: the blue Chevy Nova. If you don't like another thing about this show surely you can appreciate the assortment of 70s vehicles shown throughout!
Old 10-21-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelliBean View Post
I enjoyed it. I remember reading Mind Hunter by John Douglas and like that kind of stuff - I find the serial killer books interesting ...
[aside]If you like serial killer series, have you watched Wire in the Blood? Stars Robson Green. I loved it. And him.[/aside]

I watched the first episode of Mindhunter last night, but I bailed halfway through. I'll watch it sometime, but wasn't in the mood right now. That's the beauty of watching streaming shows!
Old 10-21-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
[aside]If you like serial killer series, have you watched Wire in the Blood? Stars Robson Green. I loved it. And him.[/aside]

I have not but Googling tells me that this is the kind of thing that i exactly up my ally!!
Old 10-22-2017, 12:32 AM

Liked it, and I thought the actor who plays Kemper stole every scene he was in.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:19 AM

I'm only three episodes in but I am liking it. Netflix seemed to not have faith in it as they didn't hype it at all as far as I saw.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
I'm only three episodes in but I am liking it. Netflix seemed to not have faith in it as they didn't hype it at all as far as I saw.
The only way I knew about it was because of the Netflix adds in my FB feed. It seemed to be about every third ad. I guess maybe I was targeted more than you through my FB. Weird...and kind of spooky if something in my feed flicked the "he likes serial killers" switch at Netflix.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:17 AM

Started watching it Fri. night and somehow had finished it by the end of the weekend.
Lead guy started off very wooden and I couldn't tell if it was his acting, the script or maybe intentional. I'm still not sure but I've warmed to him. I very much don't care for either of the female leads;characters or actresses. The standout, to me, is Tench. I'm not usually that attracted to the cynical cop character but this guy really sends me.

The guy playing Brudos (red haired prisoner) kept reminding me of John Goodman which was distracting. Speaking of red heads, did it seem like a lot of the supporting cast are gingers? <Seinfeld> Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just struck me that many people had the same general look.

The show kept my interest (obviously) and I'll watch when / if they put out another season. At the same time, I probably won't think about it again until then.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:46 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

mrAru and I started watching it Saturday, we are 5 episodes in.

The actor they found for Kemper is scary-close in looks. I love the interactions they are having with the different killers. I am *not* fond of Carr, she has her own agenda and I doubt it is 'pure' as she keeps wanting to push a book - I know academia is 'publish or perish' but the profilers are in it for altruistic reasons, they want to do their jobs better and help the law enforcement agencies work better.

Yes parts of it are slow, but real life is slow. We will probably finish binge watching it this weekend.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:57 PM

I liked it but...

A bunch of people whose opinions I value were going on and on about how great it was. I mean, it was ok, but it wasn't the October Surprise of last year's Stranger Things. I'll rewatch it at some point when S2 comes out, but I wasn't like spending 3 hours on TV Tropes reading and editing entries. If I found out it got canceled tomorrow, it'd be a mild "That's a shame." If a new season dropped tomorrow, it'd "Oh, that's nice."

A perfectly acceptable B+ show.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:36 PM

There is a second series and possibly a third in the pipeline. I googled.
I really enjoyed it - storytelling, performances, score, visuals everything! I especially liked the attempts of the other directors to out-Fincher Fincher. Man they made everything bare and austere. Washed out colours and flat surfaces everywhere.
I thought the pacing was great. Largely slow slow, but occasionally brisk.
The only thing i felt was clunky was the dialogue when thinking of terms - ' he's a sequence killer, no not sequence....another 's' word........'. But I'm happy to let that slide by as it's better dialogue than any tv show i've written.

MiM
Old 10-24-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
The guy playing Brudos (red haired prisoner) kept reminding me of John Goodman which was distracting.
It's the voice. Exactly like Goodman's.

I like it, but I am fastforwarding through all the relationship nonsense. I don't give a shit about their home lives. That's not what makes them interesting. Getting into the heads of killers and solving crimes is all that interesting.

Kinda wish they would stop teasing us with BTK every episode.

-God
Old 10-26-2017, 12:53 PM

Okay, first of all I really enjoyed the show. I didn't mind the slower pace because I felt I was watching a high quality drama and it had me very interested. Secondly, although I know the FBI agent characters are based upon real people I really didn't catch on to the serial killers also being from real life. In fact until I read Typo Negative's comment I didn't know that was a real-life serial killer being portrayed in the Kansas scenes. (BTK, didn't even know who that was until now) I thought we were being shown a serial killer in the early stages, not BTK in the midst of his killings. I suppose then the scene where he became frustrated and left was when he was going to kill Anna Williams? (I just learned of this via wiki. Clearly the topic of serial killers isn't something I've looked at in depth before.).

Oh, and thirdly... Anna Torv is the hottest "smart" character on a show since Olivia Moon/Sloan on The Newsroom.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:07 PM

It's interesting how they portray Ford as such a nave character. The real person (John Douglas) was an Air Force vet with sniper training when he started working with Robert Ressler. My guess is that they wanted a clearer contrast between Ford and the more grizzled, old-school Tench. Truth be told, I have a hard time keeping Douglas and Ressler straight in real life, so this is probably a good idea.

"How much easier life would be if people asked outright and took no for an answer." --Annie Xmas
Old 10-29-2017, 04:22 AM

Reaching the end of the binge, and have enjoyed it very much.

One disconcerting thing for Australian viewers is that Holden Ford is also the names of the two leading competing car manufacturers in Australia, although Holden shut its final production line earlier in October. Its a bit like having a character named Special Agent V.H.S. Betamax or Dr Pepsi Coke M.D.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:11 AM

I have to admit until they featured Speck I didn't realize the killers they were talking to were real criminals.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:06 AM

I'm enjoyng it. I love Tench. Fauxlivia 2 is a little too weirdly intense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelliBean View Post
I binged this show while I was on vacation this week. My husband and I were supposed to watch it together but I sat up one night and accidentally finished the season (sorry honey!).

I enjoyed it. I remember reading Mind Hunter by John Douglas and like that kind of stuff - I find the serial killer books interesting and I enjoy watching them slowly come up with terms we use often now for the different types, etc.... I am not sure how I feel about Dr. Carr. I want to like her because I love the actress Anna Torv since she was on Fringe. I don't think about her throwing them under the bus so much as having a clear goal with the study and no letting the shenanigans of the others get in the way. Debra is... just the worst.

Let's take a moment to appreciate my favorite character in the show: the blue Chevy Nova. If you don't like another thing about this show surely you can appreciate the assortment of 70s vehicles shown throughout!
ShelliBean!!! Where you been, girl??
Old 11-04-2017, 11:20 PM

Finished the series and loved it. The color palette reminded me of Zodiac, which isn't a bad thing. I thought that Holden Ford had a little bit of Billy Rosewood in him, at least in the early episodes.
I imagine that many folks here are familiar with the basis of John E. Douglas for Holden, and that he was also the inspiration for Jack Crawford (and also the characters from Hannibal and Criminal Minds).
I'm interested to see where they go, multiple season story arc, with the BTK character, as Ressler and Douglas had both been long retired when he was eventually caught.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Bumping because my wife and I just started watching this over the weekend. Three episodes in and here are my thoughts:

After the first episode, I looked at my wife and said "I like it, but I have no idea where they're going with it." I also had one very minor nitpick about a scene early on when Holden's class gets out and then he is out in the hall listening to the lecture by the guy he goes out to have a beer with. Shouldn't that guy's class have also let out at the same time as Holden's?

Agree about the guy playing the coed killer - his scenes are just fascinating to watch. I'm curious to see how much Holden gets played by him (as Tench has warned).

Another fascinating scene was the one where Holden and Tench were questioning the poor white trash dude who had attacked the two old ladies and their dogs, while the local detective just sat there watching the two of them work. I really liked the way that whole scene was set up and shot.

(As an aside, I kept trying to figure out where I had seen the actor playing the local detective before. I finally realized he was the L.A. detective in the Seinfeld episodes where Kramer was in L.A. and they thought he was a serial killer!)

And yeah Shellibean I did notice the cars, especially the Nova, which I had one very similar to back in college.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:20 AM

Only about 5 episodes in here, but we like it. As noted the guy playing Kemper is spot on. I had never heard of Kemper before before.

What I find odd is that the Wikipedia article used to list BTK as one of the subjects, but he was both 20 years later, and a complete failure of the profiling process. I see the link to Rader has been removed, so does the show mention him?
Old 01-15-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Only about 5 episodes in here, but we like it. As noted the guy playing Kemper is spot on. I had never heard of Kemper before before.

What I find odd is that the Wikipedia article used to list BTK as one of the subjects, but he was both 20 years later, and a complete failure of the profiling process. I see the link to Rader has been removed, so does the show mention him?
It does, but it is subtle. Pay attention to the beginning and ending of each episode.

I think you're right about Rader falling outside the profile. The problem with profiling is that the data comes from relatively cooperative perpatrators who were caught and convicted. The ones who evade capture may not fit that profile so well.

It reminds me of the WWII anecdote about engineers examining returning planes to see where they were hit so they could increase the armor in those sections - until someone pointed out that they should do the opposite, since the aircraft hit in places unscathed in returning planes were the ones that didn't make it back.

"How much easier life would be if people asked outright and took no for an answer." --Annie Xmas
Old 01-18-2018, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

My wife and I just finished this last night. We really enjoyed it. My wife has long been fascinated by serial killers and has read lots of books on the subject. She recognized some of the killers before they were introduced.

The actor who plays Kemper was gripping.

Hannah Gross (Debbie) is so not........ gross. I know lots didn't like the relationship storyline, but I liked seeing how being immersed in all that violence changed the two men. I think that was the point of it. How can one look at a 12-year old girl raped and with her head smashed in and not be changed somehow? And that last case was among the more mild.

The principal tickling kids' feet was the most unsettling story they followed, and the most obviously NOT an FBI matter. Was that story based on real events? It seems to me that the school superintendent should have been able simple to tell the principal to knock it off and, if he persisted in tickling, fire him for insubordination. I thought the problem was solvable without FBI involvement.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:07 AM

We're only up to the episode that ended with the principal about to be fired. I thought it was an interesting way to end the episode, that Holden's theoretical investigation is about to have real consequences. But yes, it should have been handled by the administrator.

I also liked how the meetings with Brudos affected Holden's sex life, re: the shoes. I've always had this feeling that working sex crimes could seriously mess up one's view of sex. Too much crossover, too close of boundaries between "normal" sex and "deviant" sex.

One thing the study needs is interviews with people who hove fetishes and yet don't become killers. People who've maybe started down the "deviant" path, but then pulled back. What is the difference between the groups? I know this is TV, but I hope the real behavioral sciences group considered these questions.

I applied to be a Special Agent in the FBI, but was never accepted. Watching shows like this, combined with learning about the real FBI, makes me think I got lucky by not being accepted. The FBI really does seem hide bound, stuck in the past. I think I would have hated working there. They don't seem to value innovation, or "out of the box" thinking.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:16 AM

I binged it over a weekend back in October, and loved it. I especially love the little vignette shown every episode ...

SPOILER:

which show Dennis Rader (BTK) getting started, developing his pattern, etc. Freakingly-well done, IMHO.

True story: A few weeks ago I was at my barber's and we were discussing the show and were talking about serial killers. Living in Kansas, we naturally started discussing John E. Robinson and Dennis Rader (BTK). One of the guys in chair finally volunteered that when he was a kid back in the 70s or early 80s, Dennis Rader was their neighbor. I think they may have lived in the same trailer park. He said that Rader was a difficult neighbor, and, in fact, his father (not Rader, but the guy in the barber chair) with a car. His dad had pulled Rader from car and beat the snot out of him.

The really scary part is that his family completely fit the pattern of BTK's victims: father at work during the day, mom alone at home, etc.

My barber has known this guy for about 20 years and said he knows he had grown up in the Wichita area, and the guy is not known for telling whoppers.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:01 PM

Finally finished with season one. please hurry up with S.2.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Finally finished with season one. please hurry up with S.2.
Ditto.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:10 PM

Season 2 of Mindhunter dropped Friday. I've already binged the whole thing. I won't post any spoilers yet, so I'll keep my comments general.

I enjoyed it as much as season 1. This season has a more defined arc to the story. It's a bigger story than season 1, with a much bigger cast of characters. Tensch (the older FBI partner) and Carr (the psychologist) each have fairly involved subplots involving their personal lives, but the main focus of the show is still on the work.

The show still does a great job with the sets, design, and costumes.

For those who know Anna Torv ("Carr" on this show) from the series Fringe, there is a new recurring cast member who will be familiar!
Old 08-20-2019, 01:07 PM

I watched the entire second season in one night this past weekend. Holt McCallany (Tench) is an good actor who should be more famous than he is.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:48 PM

I love it when they are talking about cases and talking to the killers. I think it really bogs down when we get in to the 'personal lives' subplots.

I was looking for the actor who played Manson because I thought he did such a great job. I was shocked to learn it was Damon Herriman!

-God
Old 08-20-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
I was looking for the actor who played Manson because I thought he did such a great job. I was shocked to learn it was Damon Herriman!

Dewey Crowe! I had no idea he was Australian until I saw him in the Australian series Secret City, which stars... Anna Torv.

He also portrays Charles Manson in the new Quentin Tarantino movie "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood." I haven't seen that yet but I believe in the movie he plays Manson in the time leading up to the Tate murders, so 10-12 years younger than in this series.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I love it when they are talking about cases and talking to the killers. I think it really bogs down when we get in to the 'personal lives' subplots.
Same here. We have plenty of general drama shows, let Mindhunter concentrate on work drama.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:02 PM

I like the intersection of Tensch's personal situation with his understanding of serial killers. It makes sense that personal experience can shape perceptions of other events. For me, the side stories work.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Just finished season 2 over the weekend. It started out good but I felt that it really got bogged down in the Atlanta story and Tench's family issues. I was hoping that with a new boss who was really trying to get the unit more exposure, that we'd see more in the way of expanding the unit. You know the scene in one of the last couple episodes where AD Gunn is telling Dr. Carr that he needs her to continue with her analysis instead of doing interviews, that they'll be hiring and training more agents to interview more serial killers? That's what I wanted to see in season 2!

(Side note: the actor who plays AD Gunn looks like the love child of Ed Harris and Wallace Shawn. )
Old 09-09-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I love it when they are talking about cases and talking to the killers. I think it really bogs down when we get in to the 'personal lives' subplots.[/URL]!
I agree. But I actually wish they'd show more interviews and whatnot with the serial killers too. In fact, can we just have a spin-off series on Ed Kemper? I did enjoy the stuff going on with BTK throughout.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 09-09-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:53 AM

Very mixed feelings about season 2. I love the interviews and the investigation elements, but the fictional personal life stories are distracting and feel "phony" in comparison. The centering the season on the Atlanta killings was a downer because the outcome of that investigation was so unsatisfying. Holden spent most of the season stuck on a few hunches and nothing really pays off.

I think the season's best moments were early on when he gets drawn into the Atlanta cases -- lots of cool period world building and strong character moments from the various figures in Atlanta. But it just bogs down from there.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
(Side note: the actor who plays AD Gunn looks like the love child of Ed Harris and Wallace Shawn. )
Actually, that guy played the part of a watcher in Fringe, in which Anna Torv also starred.

J.