Old 09-06-2019, 12:45 PM

How would you characterize the 2000's?

The damn 2010's are almost over and I cant tell the difference. I could tell you the diff between 50's-60's-70's-80's-90's based on the multiple multiple characteristics of songs and movies and fashion. Hell i could break down the 70's by increments of three years.

Not so much the last 19 years...yes yes, I agree getting old is involved (note i wasnt alive for the 50's and half the 60's) but i still think i have a point.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

I'd call it the age of tech.

It's when non-nerd types were buying computers, downloading songs on their Ipod, and slowly giving up their pagers for flip phones.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:55 PM

2000's were more optimistic. We thought the 9/11 terrorists would be dealt with and life would continue like it always had. The US was still a world leader and relations with Russia were very good.

Obama ran on Hope. It seemed like a lot of positive changes were coming. The Democrats controlled Congress.

Reality and pessimism sunk in during the next decade. War on terror shows no sign of ending. Obama's legacy is very mixed. Putin has completely changed the US-Russia relationship.

The next decade looks even worse.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-06-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:03 PM

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
2000's were more optimistic. We thought the 9/11 terrorists would be dealt with and life would continue like it always had. The US was still a world leader and relations with Russia were very good.

Obama ran on Hope. It seemed like a lot of positive changes were coming. The Democrats controlled Congress.

Reality and pessimism sunk in during the next decade. War on terror shows no sign of ending. Obama's legacy is very mixed. Putin has completely changed the US-Russia relationship.

The next decade looks even worse.
All the websites still had comments sections is a good way to spot you're in the 2000's or early 2010's if you time travelled.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:24 PM

I'm going to butcher this, but it can probably be characterized by nostalgia or being very prone to documentation. Something like that.

I've read that one of the reasons the whole "90's kids" thing is a thing is because the 90s and 2000s are the most documented generation in history. Everything that the millennials did, watched, listened to, enjoyed or touched is documented and accesable in some form on the internet. This has slowly bled into every generation and now you can look up pretty much anything from recent technological history and have it at your fingertips. As a 90s kid I can pop on Youtube and watch clips of Gullah Gullah Island because I watched that growing up. Same with my grandparents and looking up old westerns or Howdy Doody...everything is there. When you have such access to your youth it makes you even more nostalgic for that time and makes the hellscape that is modern times look even worse.

So my dumb vocabulary wants to say it's the era of accessible nostalgia.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:35 PM

Terrorism.

Apparently, nothing else of significance happened.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:57 PM

I have this theory that the first two decades of a century don't develop an identity partly because there is no convenient name that everyone agrees on; 00's is awkward and 10's is not much better. With the 20's we will finally be able to refer to a decade conveniently and I expect that after another 6-7 years it will develop an identity of some kind.

As for the last 20 years, I think the culture has been transformed by technology and the Internet. Netflix, Youtube, social media, podcasting, Kindle, smartphones etc. Mostly for the better IMO; because while there is a staggering amount of junk, our access to the very best of global culture has never been better and we can mostly choose to ignore the junk and focus on the good stuff. In particular I think the "golden age of television" is real and is still going strong. TV is a lot more varied and interesting than it used to be and I think it will remain that way for both economic and cultural reasons.

Last edited by Lantern; 09-06-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:06 PM

The 2000s were the internet decade. Yeah, it existed before, but the 2000s was when everyone and their mother got connected.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:13 PM

I recall conservative / "heartland" culture taking prominence in the 2000s. Lance Armstrong "Live Strong" bracelets and Support the Troops bumper magnets were ubiquitous. Texas-based businesses (petroleum, military contractors, Enron, etc.) were always in the news. Evangelicals had massive political clout (the Terri Schiavo affair, etc). Gas prices were sky high but Hummers were extremely popular anyway. NPR had lots of military stories - and even hipsters became pro-war (movies like Team America: World Police expressed this) and experimented with NASCAR and country music fandom.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:18 PM

2000-2010: When nerd stuff got mainstreamed. (still ongoing)
2010-Present: When everyone got on their fancy phones and in-person, human interaction began it's death spiral. (still ongoing)
Old 09-06-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
2000-2010: When nerd stuff got mainstreamed. (still ongoing)
2010-Present: When everyone got on their fancy phones and in-person, human interaction began it's death spiral. (still ongoing)
Or, contrarily, 2010-Present: When everyone got on their fancy phones and in-person, human interaction began its renaissance.

The number of different people we interact with in-person is going down, but the amount of times I meet with people in-person that I never would have in the past has gone way, way up. Old friends from college I haven't seen in ages message me to say they're coming to town for a convention/vacation and I meet up with them. Never would have done that without my smart phone.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:51 PM

Just the tip.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:05 PM

In the realm of politics and government, the 2000s was the Terrorism decade - 9/11, anthrax, the shoe bomber, the Underwear bomber, etc.. Trillions of dollars and many lives lost later, terrorism has faded somewhat as a concern. In its place we have the 2010s, the Populism and Identity Decade.

Technologically, the 2000s was the when the Internet took off (starting in about 1998). The 2010s that subset of the Internet known as Social Media became the Thing. (Yeah, there was MySpace back in the 2000s, but it was pretty bad, so I ignore it)
Old 09-06-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
The 2000s were the internet decade. Yeah, it existed before, but the 2000s was when everyone and their mother got connected.
And India.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

A time of Paranoia & Corruption.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
The damn 2010's are almost over and I cant tell the difference. I could tell you the diff between 50's-60's-70's-80's-90's based on the multiple multiple characteristics of songs and movies and fashion.
In fashion, it's pretty easy to find comparison or "remember this?" style articles. Which leads me to think that it might be less "There was nothing defining about that decade" and more "SDMB skews older with people who stopped paying attention to fashion trends in 1995". I suspect this probably extends to other cultural trends except, again, we have a disproportionate number of people around here who proudly stopped buying new music in 1988 and enjoy saying things like "I don't even know what a Taylor Swift is." Such people probably missed EDM music blowing up in the 2010s or other genre shifts.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Such people probably missed EDM music blowing up in the 2010s or other genre shifts.
Too late to edit but I should have also mentioned K-pop in there which starting getting big in the western market in the past ten years.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Too late to edit but I should have also mentioned K-pop in there which starting getting big in the western market in the past ten years.
For me, I felt when listening to indie/alternative stations, there was still music with rock instrumentation and a strong rock beat being played back then, while in the 2010s, maybe a little later, it has all turned into this relaxed, pop- or folk-rock type of thing. It may very well be the stations I listen to, but I just don't hear as much post-punk influenced stuff like Franz Ferdinand or White Stripes, Arctic Monkeys, the Hives and that sort of stuff going on, or something with that intensity. Now I feel like it's all more poppy mellow stuff like the Revivalists, Vance Joy, Head and the Heart, Lumineers, that sort of stuff. I know there are bands with more traditional rock fire out there, but the radio playlists have been just so mellow the last few years compared with the middle years of the 2000s.

And I also much preferred the Top 40 pop music of the 2000s compared with the 2010s. I'm still a sucker for Top 40, but it feels like it's really gotten same soundy in the past decade and less "fun" than the 2000s.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

In the U.S. at least, it's when reality became optional.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:21 PM

I dunno, in some ways it's difficult to separate the oughts from the teens. thinking about it, the past two decades have a somewhat uniform "beige feel". The primary difference would be that the oughts are dominated in my memory that with the establishment of the Dept. Of Homeland Security, we have laid the foundation of our downfall as a truly free country and become our own worst enemy.

The teens, well, I was married for most of that decade, so thats how I think of those years, the wedded years.

Overlaying all of that, is a feeling of ongoing social liberation, but it feels false somehow, hollow, as if it's merely a method of pacification for the populace in general to make domination and deception by the government easier.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
In the U.S. at least, it's when reality became optional.
Colbert's Truthiness segment was 2005 and I really think that he and his writers hit on something. At the time, I knew he was right. I had no idea it would go as far as it has gone.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:

Unquestionably. In 1999, I was still using dialup, and not by choice. Can't discount the impact the internet has made. Computers finally fulfilled the promise of revolutionizing our lives .
Old 09-08-2019, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
Unquestionably. In 1999, I was still using dialup, and not by choice. Can't discount the impact the internet has made. Computers finally fulfilled the promise of revolutionizing our lives .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
Yes, I would say my everyday life changed most significantly from 2000-2010 vs 1980-2000, starting with the development of the Internet and affordable broadband, to iPods, to iPhones, to iPads. Professionally, digital photography took over the industry starting mainly in 2001 with the release of the Nikon D3 (though digital cameras and digital backs did exist before then--we were using Kodak digital backs on 35mm cameras back in the mid-90s.) At first, it was expensive, but by the mid-2000s, became affordable, and now I'd guess the majority (or a large minority) of people are walking around with digital cameras in their pocket (on their phones.)

It's weird explaining to my kids how we used to have to wait for a program to come on TV and if we missed it, we missed it (or we had to remember to tape it on a VCR). If we wanted to discover music, we had to go down to the local record store or have friends with interesting tastes instead of just rabbit-holing it through Youtube or whatnot. If we wanted to consume any kind of media or information, we had to go to the library, the bookstore, the video rental store, etc. and now we have all of it at a moment's notice. It really is incredible and it's absolutely amazing how my life has changed from the first twenty years of it to the second twenty-ish years of it.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Which leads me to think that it might be less "There was nothing defining about that decade" and more "SDMB skews older with people who stopped paying attention to fashion trends in 1995". I suspect this probably extends to other cultural trends except, again, we have a disproportionate number of people around here who proudly stopped buying new music in 1988 and enjoy saying things like "I don't even know what a Taylor Swift is." Such people probably missed EDM music blowing up in the 2010s or other genre shifts.
I beg your pardon. I'm old by any definition and I know exactly who Taylor Swift is, and what EDM music is. I don't particularly care about either phenomenon, but that's an entirely different matter.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:57 PM

The 2000s:

The Sopranos

CSI

Star Trek: Enterprise

Family Guy

The Daily Show

The 2010s:

Mad Men

Boardwalk Empire

NCIS

Gotham

The Americans

Big Bang Theory

Last edited by terentii; 09-08-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
The 2000s:

The Sopranos

CSI

Star Trek: Enterprise

Family Guy

The Daily Show
I forgot Criminal Minds and Pushing Daisies.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Also, we have hipsters with skinny jeans and big beards.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:17 AM

Quote:
In fashion, it's pretty easy to find comparison or "remember this?" style articles. Which leads me to think that it might be less "There was nothing defining about that decade" and more "SDMB skews older with people who stopped paying attention to fashion trends in 1995". I suspect this probably extends to other cultural trends except, again, we have a disproportionate number of people around here who proudly stopped buying new music in 1988 and enjoy saying things like "I don't even know what a Taylor Swift is." Such people probably missed EDM music blowing up in the 2010s or other genre shifts.
It's much easier to ignore popular culture these days. In the past, if a certain group or genre of music was big, there was no way to ignore it, but now? If it doesn't show up on my Spotify playlist I've never heard of it. Same thing with TV, to a lesser degree - there are so many options and so many old shows available upon demand, that ignoring the "current" big thing is remarkably easy.

Ignoring movies is a bit harder, especially if you want to see big special-effect driven blockbusters. Therefor, I hereby declare the 2010's the Marvel Decade.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
I beg your pardon. I'm old by any definition and I know exactly who Taylor Swift is, and what EDM music is. I don't particularly care about either phenomenon, but that's an entirely different matter.
Well then, you don't count under "such people".
Old 09-09-2019, 10:48 AM

Reality TV elimination shows just exploded throughout the 2000s and everyone was watching at least some of them. And everyone was talking about them.
We had all of these start in the 2000s:
Survivor 2000
Big Brother 2000
Amazing Race 2001
The Bachelor 2002
American Idol 2002
Project Runway 2004
The Apprentice 2004
Hell's Kitchen(US) 2005
Old 09-09-2019, 02:16 PM

I'd have described the 2000s as the decade of terrorism and war- between 9/11 and the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, that seems to have been the primary topic between about 2001-2010. It was also the decade when public Internet usage became commonplace.

The 2010-2019 time since then has really been threefold- it's been the decade of social media, mobile devices and in a socio-political sense, it's been a decade of... awareness(?) in that people are more aware of inequities and injustices than ever before, likely due to the same social media and its ability to shine light into dusty corners.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I'd have described the 2000s as the decade of terrorism and war- between 9/11 and the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, that seems to have been the primary topic between about 2001-2010. It was also the decade when public Internet usage became commonplace.

The 2010-2019 time since then has really been threefold- it's been the decade of social media, mobile devices and in a socio-political sense, it's been a decade of... awareness(?) in that people are more aware of inequities and injustices than ever before, likely due to the same social media and its ability to shine light into dusty corners.
That's a pretty good summation. I would add that there's more disinformation now. Somewhere between 2000 and 2019 there's been an information overload and it's harder to discern the truth now. Maybe there's more light, but what's it's showing us is more darkness. But, in many ways things are good.

Last edited by tullsterx; 09-09-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:07 PM

The beginning of the end stages of America's collapse into fascism, and the ecological collapse of the planet really picking up steam.

EDIT: And entertainment-wise, entertainment becoming so depressing that I largely stopped consuming anything new.

Last edited by Der Trihs; 09-09-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
The beginning of the end stages of America's collapse into fascism, and the ecological collapse of the planet really picking up steam.

EDIT: And entertainment-wise, entertainment becoming so depressing that I largely stopped consuming anything new.
Man, you are just full of sweetness and light, aren't you?
Old 09-10-2019, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Man, you are just full of sweetness and light, aren't you?
Yeah, I was going to say, the 2000s onward have some of the best TV I've ever seen. I'm not much for movies and cinema these days, so I can't talk about that, but the cable and TV series have just been fantastic and there's a reason it's called The Golden Age of Television.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Yeah, I was going to say, the 2000s onward have some of the best TV I've ever seen. I'm not much for movies and cinema these days, so I can't talk about that, but the cable and TV series have just been fantastic and there's a reason it's called The Golden Age of Television.
I agree. That's probably the other thing I'd say the 2010-2020 decade is notable for- the shift in... viewable entertainment(?) from the traditional TV networks and traditional cinema to a mix of cable TV channels and streaming video providers, and a shift from either the standard 20-ish episode TV season and 2 hour movies to more short-season, scripted story arc, high production value TV series like Breaking Bad, Stranger Things, etc...

That seems to me to be a huge change; we went from an era where the "real" cinematic work was being done in the feature film arena, and TV was considered a sort of also-ran, to an era where the best work is being done on TV in a different sort of format than TV has ever done before.

Or something like that... I'm not 100% sure I'm articulating what I'm trying to say well here.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
Fascism is so 1930s. America is trending towards something new that I can only describe as an "idiocracy".
Old 09-10-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
Fascism is so 1930s. America is trending towards something new that I can only describe as an "idiocracy".
That's actually an insult to President Camacho, who was both well meaning and recognized that both intelligence and the recognition of reality were good things. Rather the opposite of the present regime.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:33 PM

How would you characterize the 2000's?

On average, it was a 2004.5. They were greater than the 1990s but consistently lower than the 2010s.

Though if there is one thing to say about them, if you look closely at each year on its own, they were very even. It went up and down, but seven times out of eight, even.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 09-10-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:42 PM

I just re-watched Juno on a plane a few days ago, and I was surprised that it actually feels a bit dated to me now. That movie came out in what, 2005 or 2006 thereabouts? Of course there was the technology, like everyone using landline phones. Juno would never have her novelty hamburger phone today. And looking at ads in a print copy of the Penny Saver. I suppose Craigslist is kind of the new Penny Saver in a way. But also there was just the style of the movie. That purposely low quality animation in the opening sequence seems more like a 2000s and late-1990s thing. And there's the way Juno speaks. I know she was supposed to be someone who marches to her own drummer, but still the slang she uses felt more 2000s than 2010s.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Yep, exactly. The styles are very different. Look at a movie like Mean Girls or the aforementioned Juno and compare it to young people are wearing today. Speaking of Juno, the 2000s were a decade where Michael Cera could be a relatively famed actor.

I think there a strange this is what dork-cool looks like sort of vibe with Cera. Which is just really humorous right now.

It was also the era of the manic pixie dream girl, which hasn't completely disappeared, but is far far less of a thing (thankfully).

Last edited by ISiddiqui; 09-11-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:43 PM

Rather than come up with a sound bite description, I’m going to divide it into broad categories.

Politically, the noughts were when political parties continued to become more polarized. There was less cooperation, and more “dark money”. Terrorism became a major concern, and rightly so, but people were naive about privacy and security.

Economically, it was an era of misplaced optimism. The real estate and stock markets kept going up, until they didn’t.

Culturally, it was a hodgepodge of earlier trends, as computing became mainstream and nostalgia became digitally accessible.

Socially, people were starting to use more technology, but were not yet in isolated bubbles or slaves to their telephones and social media.

It seemed like a more optimistic time than the glum 90s.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
I have this theory that the first two decades of a century don't develop an identity partly because there is no convenient name that everyone agrees on; 00's is awkward and 10's is not much better. With the 20's we will finally be able to refer to a decade conveniently and I expect that after another 6-7 years it will develop an identity of some kind.

As for the last 20 years, I think the culture has been transformed by technology and the Internet. Netflix, Youtube, social media, podcasting, Kindle, smartphones etc. Mostly for the better IMO; because while there is a staggering amount of junk, our access to the very best of global culture has never been better and we can mostly choose to ignore the junk and focus on the good stuff. In particular I think the "golden age of television" is real and is still going strong. TV is a lot more varied and interesting than it used to be and I think it will remain that way for both economic and cultural reasons.
Quote:
What comes after "postmodern?" I say 2000 was the first year of the cyberzoic period -- it sounds profound and it's got "cyber" in it. It implies but is not definitely committed to the coming singularity.

Last edited by kirkrapine; 09-12-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
Reality TV elimination shows just exploded throughout the 2000s and everyone was watching at least some of them. And everyone was talking about them.
We had all of these start in the 2000s:
Survivor 2000
Big Brother 2000
Amazing Race 2001
The Bachelor 2002
American Idol 2002
Project Runway 2004
The Apprentice 2004
Hell's Kitchen(US) 2005
I think this is a really good point. Add to that the "I love the 80s/70s/90s" shows and "Worlds dumbest" shows....those all scream 2000s.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Paprika View Post
It seemed like a more optimistic time than the glum 90s.
I personally found the 90s the most optimistic decade of my lifetime, speaking as an American. Cold War just ended, economy was booming, web browsers were invented and the internet just got introduced to the average person. It seemed a time with endless possibilities--the thread of the Cold War over, money to be made, and the world's information at our fingertips. Then, a lot of that optimism came to a crashing halt with the bursting of the dot com bubble, the events of 9/11, the housing market crash, the deep recession.

It's hard for me to find more optimism in the 00s than the 90s.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:45 AM

I was a teenager in the 2000s. I agree with what a lot of people said, but to throw in a few more pop culture references, I think of the 2000s as the age of hip hop music, self-tanning, and AOL Instant Messenger.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I personally found the 90s the most optimistic decade of my lifetime, speaking as an American. Cold War just ended, economy was booming, web browsers were invented and the internet just got introduced to the average person. It seemed a time with endless possibilities--the thread of the Cold War over, money to be made, and the world's information at our fingertips. Then, a lot of that optimism came to a crashing halt with the bursting of the dot com bubble, the events of 9/11, the housing market crash, the deep recession.

It's hard for me to find more optimism in the 00s than the 90s.
Yeah, that was a bizarre statement. The '90s were glum? The '00s were more optimistic? The fuck? The 2000s had barely started when we had 9/11. I don't know how someone could possibly say the 2000s was an optimistic decade. The 1990s is the last optimistic decade before it all turned to terrorism, war & pessimism in the 2000s.

Last edited by Eyebrows 0f Doom; 09-12-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

nm

Last edited by pulykamell; 09-12-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:22 PM

I spent most of the 90s in higher education and had a wonderful time, personally.

But the music of the 1990s was largely grunge. Only a few people listened to EDM and Britpop. Hip hop and rap became popular a little later in the decade.

But, yeah, politically every decade since the 70s has been getting a little more unfriendly. Terrorism, however, did not define the 00s. And the terrorists did not win much.