Old 09-11-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I thought of one more - the basement of the UN. Back when I was in high school my father worked there, and when I visited I pushed through some doors in the lower lobby, by the vending machines, marked Employees Only. Never got stopped. Back then, no security to mention.
Just offices down there, nothing very interesting.
I don't remember if it was the basement, but it was certainly the employee only area - I worked on the installation of the security system for the UN in '92 or '94 (don't remember, but it was during the winter Olympics)
Old 09-11-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyada View Post
I don't remember if it was the basement, but it was certainly the employee only area - I worked on the installation of the security system for the UN in '92 or '94 (don't remember, but it was during the winter Olympics)
I went with him to plenty of employee only areas too, but this was an interesting one since you got in through the lower level of the lobby. I got lots of funny looks - but if you walk confidently, you can go lots of places.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:03 PM

I've been to the bottom of the deepest mine in the world (4km). The wall rock is too hot to touch.

Last edited by MrDibble; 09-11-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:15 PM

- Deep in the mountains of Haiti, where the villages don't even have "official" names
- In the middle of slums outside San Jose, Costa Rica
Old 09-11-2019, 03:37 PM

What fun, making this list. Interesting places, but no doubt each of them have been visited by at least one other board member!

- Knossos Palace, Crete
- Backstage at the San Francisco Symphony
- Kyongbuk Palace, Seoul
- Golden and Silver Pavilions in Kyoto...I lived between them (they're kilometers apart)
- Tower of London
- Meteor Crater, Arizona
- Death Valley
- Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Hood and Mt. Baker (all Pac NW)
- South Point (southernmost point in USA, is on south side of the island of Hawaii)
- "The cave where Zeus was born, Crete" Granted, there are probably lots of places in Greece claiming this
- Cape Canaveral, FL
- Cape Flattery, WA (Most NW point of WA)
- Have visited all 50 states!

But one oddball place that almost NOBODY has visited but me: Years ago, as a high school exchange student living in rural Japan (Shuchi, in Tamba-cho, Kyoto prefecture) I blazed a trail to the top of a small mountain that's always looking down on the village but had no trails I could find (or anyone knew of). Got to the top and sure enough, found the rumored remains of an old building with a stone foundation. Locals called it "Castle Mountain" so presumably this building was a medieval keep of some kind.

Last edited by Limmin; 09-11-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
I've been to the bottom of the deepest mine in the world (4km). The wall rock is too hot to touch.
Winner, I think. I'm curious as to whether you had to decompress coming up out of it?
Old 09-11-2019, 04:12 PM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

Lots of winners.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:19 PM

And lots of places I haven't been to yet but want to.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limmin View Post
- Tower of London
[...]
- South Point (southernmost point in USA, is on south side of the island of Hawaii)
I've been to - but did not take the tour of - the Tower, but it is the easternmost point I've been to in a both relative and absolute sense (since I've never been out of the American/Western European quadrant.)

If I go back to England I might visit Canterbury which would make it a little harder to determine the eastern- and westernmost place I've been to.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:22 PM

In the cockpit of a 747 coming in for a landing at Hong Kong ... as done by one of Boeing's simulators in WA.

Cool. Well, until the student at the controls crashed it.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:35 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

In the right hand seat of a Cessna Citation jet, flying it for a bit. I was used to airplanes that were open cockpit and cruised at about 70 MPH, and this puppy was zooming along at 370. Before I even knew where I was, I was past it.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
- Tower of London
- Meteor Crater, Arizona
Been there. And backstage (and performing onstage) at Severance Hall, home of the Cleveland Orchestra.

Have I mentioned that I stayed at the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, AZ? The creepy proprietor was an amateur taxidermist who showed me his collection. Reminded me VERY MUCH of Norman Bates.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:51 PM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

An anniversary of sorts. On 9/12/01 my wife and I kayaked to Bartoo Island on Priest Lake and camped for two nights. It was late in the season and coupled with the attacks the day before, it was deserted. Not a plane in the sky, not a boat on the water. A little eerie.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Winner, I think. I'm curious as to whether you had to decompress coming up out of it?
No. AFAIK, in open air you'd need to go at least 6km BSL before it became an issue. And the surface at the mine is already +1km ASL.

See this earlier thread with links to papers

Last edited by MrDibble; 09-12-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:52 AM

I've been to Meteor Crater! They have an excellent little museum.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:15 AM
Charter Member

Been to Jimmy Morrisons grave and Auschwitz which I know other members have also visited.

Maybe not so common was a disused ex Communist era nuclear bunker in Prague. Most of the gear was still there- what was interesting was that the people were expected to stand in the time they were there.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Been to Jimmy Morrisons grave and Auschwitz which I know other members have also visited.

Maybe not so common was a disused ex Communist era nuclear bunker in Prague. Most of the gear was still there- what was interesting was that the people were expected to stand in the time they were there.
I've been to Morrison's grave, which has been vandalized over the years. He's in some good company in the Père Lachaise Cemetery, including Bizet, Chopin, Balzac, Proust, Oscar Wilde, Edith Piaf, and others.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:45 AM

I thought of another one. The glass dome/ball atop the Smith Tower in Seattle. Not just the apartment in the pyramid section, but on top of that is a 10 foot glass ball. It's an interesting climb and a fantastic view. My ex and I went up there on New Years Eve in the mid 1990s, and joined the dome club.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:02 AM
SDSAB

At Stourhead, a stately English country home at which scenes from Pride & Prejudice (2005) were later filmed.

At Winston Churchill's country house, Chartwell.

On set for the filming of a scene from The Avengers in the atrium of the Old Courthouse in Cleveland.

At a private home in Northeast Ohio to meet the President and Mrs. Obama.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
I've been to Point Roberts, WA
Been there. Once because I forgot to turn and mistakenly found myself at the border.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:11 AM

I have been in the tunnels under the Panama Canal.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 09-12-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
THAT sounds very interesting.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I've been to Meteor Crater! They have an excellent little museum.
Yes. Interesting that most of the museum is about manned U.S. space flight.

Quote:
I've been to Morrison's grave, which has been vandalized over the years. He's in some good company in the Père Lachaise Cemetery, including Bizet, Chopin, Balzac, Proust, Oscar Wilde, Edith Piaf, and others.
My favorite cemetery!. Oscar Wilde's tomb is covered with lipstick kisses. And when I was there, there were three school buses from Poland, filled with kids to visit Chopin's grave. They were weeping and wailing as if they had personally known him. And I loved the head-to-head graves of Gertrude and Alice, sharing a single headstone.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:33 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
Been there (post #105). I've also been in the old military bunkers that riddle the islands at the end of the Causeway at the end of the Panama Canal.

During my first stint in Panama in 1977-1979 my girlfriend was a native Zonian (born in the Panama Canal Zone). One of her friends was an engineer on the Panama Railroad. He once let use ride in the cabin of the locomotive he was driving and I got to sound the horn as we went through crossings.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:01 PM

Tunnels beneath the Panama Canal sound very interesting.

I’ve been inside the top secret Blue Cube, the former USAF installation for flying all their satellites. I used to work in there. Perhaps other Dopers have been inside, and fewer still who worked there daily, but it can’t be many.

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onizuka_Air_Force_Station

Web images: https://www.google.com/search?q=blue...iw=768&bih=922

It was demolished, beginning in 2014. Today it is completely gone. In 2007, more than 10 years after I left, they held a closure ceremony and I attended.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:06 PM

Oh, just thought of another one.

I've been to Xavier Mansion, as seen in X2 (2003) and X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) It's actually Hatley Castle, originally the home of a rich bastard, now the administration building for a university.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson View Post
- In the middle of slums outside San Jose, Costa Rica
I was deep in a few Brazilian Favelas. Terrifying, actually. Lots of people, but I imagine not many Dopers.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I was deep in a few Brazilian Favelas. Terrifying, actually. Lots of people, but I imagine not many Dopers.
Very dangerous place, for sure. I've been to the Alfama District in Lisbon, which is the oldest neighborhood, and one of the few to sort-of survive the earthquake and fire of 1755. The steep, winding streets and steps are very old-world, and its location in the shadow of Sao Jorge castle is very picturesque.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:59 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I never went into the favelas, but I regularly drive through some of the dicier neighborhoods in Panama City, and years ago was in some of the hinkier parts of Lagos, Nigeria.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:30 PM

I've been to the courtyard where the Ceaușescus were executed.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
I've been in Boring, Tangent, and Drain, Oregon. Road trip!
I haven't been in Tangent, I just brushed the edge of it.

For my own I was going to say Cana, in the Darien in Panama. We had to take a little plane that landed on a grass field to get there. But Colibri beat me to it.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:10 PM

The air field on Tawitawi Island is just a grass strip. When I went, flights only visited the island twice a week.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

I've been in the Buffalo State Asylum for the Insane. Now, of course, it's the Hotel Henry, but there are many buildings on the grounds that have yet to be renovated. We took a tour through a couple of them. The building and grounds were designed by Henry Hobson Richardson and Frederick Law Olmstead. The design of the main building is Romanesque.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:26 PM

I'm probably wrong, but I sort of doubt that a whole lot of people have been to the Geographic Center of the US (the lower 48 anyway) just outside Lebanon, Kansas.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:41 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple cow View Post
For my own I was going to say Cana, in the Darien in Panama. We had to take a little plane that landed on a grass field to get there. But Colibri beat me to it.
I didn't actually mention Cana, but yeah, I've been there five times (and climbed Cerro Pirre from the other side twice). Still, it's impressively remote. That's one of the scariest air strips I've ever landed at, since it slopes downhill. It was especially so on my first trip when the trees at the end hadn't been cut for several years so we barely cleared them when leaving. Unfortunately it's closed down now after the FARC came through a few years ago. The airstrip hasn't been maintained, so the only access is by helicopter (or a two-day hike up from the river).
Old 09-12-2019, 03:26 PM

I was going to say, Inside the computer room in the Pentagon, but probably, there's more than one, so inside one of the computer rooms in the Pentagon.

In the Cherokee Cemetery in Cherokee, California.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee,_California
Old 09-12-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
Checkpoint Charlie.
Inside Lenin's tomb.

In 1970, when I was 15. Influenced my worldview.
I've been through Checkpoint Charlie. When I was in the US Air Force, stationed in West Germany. A friend and eye took a trip to West Berlin, and since we were in the military, and the joint forces rules were still in effect, the Soviets could not prevent US military from traveling into East Berlin (the US military could, if they wanted to, but we were allowed to visit). We were required to wear our uniforms when we went through the Checkpoint. We had to sign at the gate letting the US military guards know when we would be returning, and we were told we could not travel on public transit while in East Berlin. So we walked everywhere. It was a long hike back to Checkpoint Charlie, and we were fifteen minutes later back than we said we would be. The US Army had a car getting ready to come through the checkpoint to look for us. We got yelled at for coming back late,
Old 09-12-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Mt. St. Helens,
Yes, I've been there.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
I've been through Checkpoint Charlie. When I was in the US Air Force, stationed in West Germany. A friend and eye took a trip to West Berlin, and since we were in the military, and the joint forces rules were still in effect, the Soviets could not prevent US military from traveling into East Berlin (the US military could, if they wanted to, but we were allowed to visit). We were required to wear our uniforms when we went through the Checkpoint. We had to sign at the gate letting the US military guards know when we would be returning, and we were told we could not travel on public transit while in East Berlin. So we walked everywhere. It was a long hike back to Checkpoint Charlie, and we were fifteen minutes later back than we said we would be. The US Army had a car getting ready to come through the checkpoint to look for us. We got yelled at for coming back late,
I have no idea why I typed "eye".
Old 09-12-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

I've had a drink in the apartment where Dashiell Hammett wrote the Maltese Falcon.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Yes. Interesting that most of the museum is about manned U.S. space flight.

My favorite cemetery!. Oscar Wilde's tomb is covered with lipstick kisses. And when I was there, there were three school buses from Poland, filled with kids to visit Chopin's grave. They were weeping and wailing as if they had personally known him. And I loved the head-to-head graves of Gertrude and Alice, sharing a single headstone.
Seemingly, Piere La Chase is one of the top tourist destinations in Paris. The head to head headstone of Gertrude and Alice was a knockout. Last time I was there they had placed a plastic dome over Oscar Wilde's grave.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Seemingly, Piere La Chase is one of the top tourist destinations in Paris. The head to head headstone of Gertrude and Alice was a knockout. Last time I was there they had placed a plastic dome over Oscar Wilde's grave.
It's spelled Père Lachaise. It was named for King Louis XIV's confessor, Father François d'Aix de La Chaise. Père means "father" in French.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's spelled Père Lachaise. It was named for King Louis XIV's confessor, Father François d'Aix de La Chaise. Père means "father" in French.
That is all detailed in 199 Cemeteries To See Before You Die. Thanks anyway.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:24 AM

Quote:

- Golden and Silver Pavilions in Kyoto...I lived between them (they're kilometers apart)
[snip]
But one oddball place that almost NOBODY has visited but me: Years ago, as a high school exchange student living in rural Japan (Shuchi, in Tamba-cho, Kyoto prefecture) I blazed a trail to the top of a small mountain that's always looking down on the village but had no trails I could find (or anyone knew of). Got to the top and sure enough, found the rumored remains of an old building with a stone foundation. Locals called it "Castle Mountain" so presumably this building was a medieval keep of some kind.
I've been to both of those, to the Golden Pavilion on a gray January day and the Silver Pavilion during a steamy August. The Golden struck me as a good place to visit during the summer while the Silver has a wintry atmosphere.

And the "Castle Mountain" story reminds me that I've been in Mirabel AKA Migdal Afek, a tumbledown abandoned Crusader castle in Israel.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I'm probably wrong, but I sort of doubt that a whole lot of people have been to the Geographic Center of the US (the lower 48 anyway) just outside Lebanon, Kansas.
I haven't been there but I have been to the geographical center of the northern Half of the Western Hemisphere outside of Poniatowski, Wisconsin.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

I've been to:
Pedvales Art field in Pedvales, Latvia.
The Corner House in Riga. When I was there they said they were only going to give tours for a few months and then close it down. Seems they have opened it up again.
Plokštinė missile base in Lithuania.
There's a small, Jewish memorial to murdered Jews in Plunge, Lithuania. I don't really like going to places like that.

I'm sure there are a number of Irish tombs that I've been to that few people in general have been to.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That is all detailed in 199 Cemeteries To See Before You Die. Thanks anyway.
I'm assuming that your previous post was the victim of spell check then.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:31 AM

There are several scuba divers on this board. I wonder if any of them, besides me, have been to the Gili Islands off Lombok, Indonesia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gili_Islands

Sounds like they've become more mainstream than when I visited 20 years ago. I'm glad I got there while they were still off the beaten path.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
I thought of another one. The glass dome/ball atop the Smith Tower in Seattle. Not just the apartment in the pyramid section, but on top of that is a 10 foot glass ball. It's an interesting climb and a fantastic view. My ex and I went up there on New Years Eve in the mid 1990s, and joined the dome club.
Really? Wow. I've been in the pyramid for a friend's wedding, but did not even know there was a glass ball / dome above it. Envious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
You know, I learned about that place from reading Neil Gaiman's "American Gods." IIRC, he implies that it is a special place because so few people visit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkster View Post
I've been to both of those, to the Golden Pavilion on a gray January day and the Silver Pavilion during a steamy August. The Golden struck me as a good place to visit during the summer while the Silver has a wintry atmosphere.

Definitely, that's how I see it too. The Golden Temple's nickname is "kokedera" meaning mossy temple. The area is full of moss, so it's actually kind of nice and cool to visit during the summer.

And the "Castle Mountain" story reminds me that I've been in Mirabel AKA Migdal Afek, a tumbledown abandoned Crusader castle in Israel.
I guess such sites are particularly common in any "old" part of the world. In Greece I saw old looking buildings reduced to blocks (round pillar blocks, crosspieces, etc.) here and there and figured they were all ancient. Maybe so.

Last edited by Limmin; 09-13-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:47 PM
SDSAB

I've stood behind the podium in the chamber of the U.S. House of Representatives where the President gives his State of the Union Address, and from where such luminaries as Winston Churchill, Nelson Mandela, Lech Walesa and Yitzhak Rabin have spoken over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
I've had a drink in the apartment where Dashiell Hammett wrote the Maltese Falcon.
I spent a weekend in the Vermont country house where Rudyard Kipling wrote some of his most famous works, including Captains Courageous and The Jungle Book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naulak...Kipling_House)