Old 08-26-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
I will give the new series a chance, but I hope he doesn't keep over-complicating things.
I suspect that what we're seeing there is a bit of market research on his/the show's part. They probably found out that the majority of fans aren't total cooking neophytes who can't boil water, but somewhat accomplished amateur cooks who are more interested in better recipes , better technique and/or better science. That's kind of what the Reloaded series was about- better versions of those original recipes for the more advanced among us.

It remains to be seen who the new shows will be aimed at- more toward relatively unskilled cooks, or relatively skilled amateurs. I wasn't really able to tell from two episodes last night.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
Regarding the various characters:

"Italian" dudes with fake mustaches: not funny. Insultingly not funny.
I liked it. It was the same actor who played a lot of roles in the original Good Eats - the agent for unpopular foods, the Cajun chef who was actually from Rhode Island (nice Emeril reference), Major Pepper, etc.
Quote:
The lawyer types: Meh. Neither good nor bad. I barely remember them. But, wasn't Alton playing the part of one of them? I don't remember him doing that in the past.
He always played the central USDA agent. He even talked about that in the first "Reloaded" episode.
Quote:
One more thing: what was up with the camera filming Alton's reflection in a mirror, instead of the just the regular way?
They did a ton of that in "Reloaded" as well.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:27 PM

I wonder if the mirror on a swivel is to allow them to more easily do the Tasty-style overhead hands only shots while still allowing Alton to talk 'to' the audience.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I liked it. It was the same actor who played a lot of roles in the original Good Eats - the agent for unpopular foods, the Cajun chef who was actually from Rhode Island (nice Emeril reference), Major Pepper, etc.
Ah, I thought he looked familiar. Would it surprise you to know that the Cajun chef is the character I dislike the least, of the ones I remember?

Quote:
He always played the central USDA agent. He even talked about that in the first "Reloaded" episode.
I didn't see "Reloaded", but I do remember his USDA agent role.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
Ah, I thought he looked familiar. Would it surprise you to know that the Cajun chef is the character I dislike the least, of the ones I remember?
That guy selling the tomatoes was actually playing an old character- Koko Karl, the sleazy guy selling artificial chocolate products, only with a mustache this time and a silly accent.

Last edited by bump; 08-26-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I suspect that what we're seeing there is a bit of market research on his/the show's part. They probably found out that the majority of fans aren't total cooking neophytes who can't boil water, but somewhat accomplished amateur cooks who are more interested in better recipes , better technique and/or better science. That's kind of what the Reloaded series was about- better versions of those original recipes for the more advanced among us.

It remains to be seen who the new shows will be aimed at- more toward relatively unskilled cooks, or relatively skilled amateurs. I wasn't really able to tell from two episodes last night.
Ok, that makes sense, we'll see.

The problem is that at least a couple of the recipes in the Reloaded series were (IMO) pointlessly over-complicated. I am particularly thinking of the steak one. I think his newer variant of the recipe would turn out a lesser quality product, with a lot more effort.

Of course I am a geek. I built my own sous-vide cooker out of a raspberry pi an AC relay, an immersion heater and a thermocouple. My sous-vide cooker has a web interface, with graphics, sounds and all kinds of bells and whistles including wireless and bluetooth. After going through all the work to do that, I discovered that I don't particularly like the taste of meat that is cooked that way. So it sits on a shelf, waiting for me to get back to it.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion
I built my own sous-vide cooker out of a raspberry pi an AC relay, an immersion heater and a thermocouple. My sous-vide cooker has a web interface, with graphics, sounds and all kinds of bells and whistles including wireless and bluetooth. After going through all the work to do that, I discovered that I don't particularly like the taste of meat that is cooked that way. So it sits on a shelf, waiting for me to get back to it.
Well, what do you expect? I can't really imagine raspberry-flavored steak is good.

I'm not 100% sold on sous vide steaks - still haven't landed on the bath temp that will let me sear the steaks and arrive at my desired medium-rareness. OTOH, it's great with salmon - when it's on sale, I'll buy a whole fillet, portion it and vacuum pack the pieces with s&p, dill, and lemon slices. It's also great for chicken - sv a bag of chicken legs for a couple hours, then toss 'em on a screaming hot grill to crisp the skin. Most of the fat has been rendered out so minimal flareups, and no risk of raw.

As for the newer crop of oddball ingredients, on his Reloaded mini-series, he touched on how the grocery world has shrunk in the past 15 or so years. What was once exotic, is now on the shelf at Safeway. The first time I made tom kha gai, I had to go hunt down lemongrass, galangal, and keffir leaves at Asian markets. Now it's all at my neighborhood supermarket.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords View Post
Well, what do you expect? I can't really imagine raspberry-flavored steak is good.

I'm not 100% sold on sous vide steaks - still haven't landed on the bath temp that will let me sear the steaks and arrive at my desired medium-rareness. OTOH, it's great with salmon - when it's on sale, I'll buy a whole fillet, portion it and vacuum pack the pieces with s&p, dill, and lemon slices. It's also great for chicken - sv a bag of chicken legs for a couple hours, then toss 'em on a screaming hot grill to crisp the skin. Most of the fat has been rendered out so minimal flareups, and no risk of raw.

As for the newer crop of oddball ingredients, on his Reloaded mini-series, he touched on how the grocery world has shrunk in the past 15 or so years. What was once exotic, is now on the shelf at Safeway. The first time I made tom kha gai, I had to go hunt down lemongrass, galangal, and keffir leaves at Asian markets. Now it's all at my neighborhood supermarket.
Actually, raspberry might go well with steak.

Whenever I tried to sous-vide a steak, it always came out tasting like pot roast. Not that there's anything wrong with that, if you are trying to cook pot roast, but when you wanted a steak ...

The other week, I was at one of those Portuguese roasted meat-on-a-stick places, and all the meat tasted like pot roast. I suspect they were keeping it in a sous-vide bath and bringing it out and searing it when it was time to serve. I wasn't impressed.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the spices. There is an H-mart (Korean) grocery near me. They have really good bulgogi.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:38 PM

As a big fan of the original show, I'm enjoying it as a return to form - I like the food history/science, humor, characters, etc.

As far as his recipes, though...there are a few that I think of as solid that have made their way into my repertoire over the years, but there have always been a significant percentage that I've thought of as unnecessarily "different-for-the-sake-of-being different", if not downright unappealing (I love avocado, but won't be making chocolate pudding using it anytime soon...)
Old 08-27-2019, 03:03 AM

Okay, before I go and watch the second episode, I guess I'll say what I wanted to say. It seems that most don't agree, but it seemed to me that the first episode just didn't quite have the feel right, and seemed to have a more serious Alton in performance, if not in the actual script (which was delightfully silly). I found that the tone of Reloaded was better, even in the newer parts. Alton just seemed happier.

Now to go watch the second episode. I almost forgot they were going to debut two at a time. (I hope that isn't a bad thing, like trying to get rid of this season quickly.)
Old 08-27-2019, 08:11 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
As a big fan of the original show, I'm enjoying it as a return to form - I like the food history/science, humor, characters, etc.

As far as his recipes, though...there are a few that I think of as solid that have made their way into my repertoire over the years, but there have always been a significant percentage that I've thought of as unnecessarily "different-for-the-sake-of-being different", if not downright unappealing (I love avocado, but won't be making chocolate pudding using it anytime soon...)
I've made chocolate pudding with avocado before. It works, Avocado is bland enough that it is easily overpowered by the cocoa.

That being said, the pudding itself was decidedly bleh. However, it used regular cocoa, not dutch processed and the avocado was the thickening agent. I am unsure how well this pudding would be, but it's worth a try.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
Actually, raspberry might go well with steak.

Whenever I tried to sous-vide a steak, it always came out tasting like pot roast. Not that there's anything wrong with that, if you are trying to cook pot roast, but when you wanted a steak ...

The other week, I was at one of those Portuguese roasted meat-on-a-stick places, and all the meat tasted like pot roast. I suspect they were keeping it in a sous-vide bath and bringing it out and searing it when it was time to serve. I wasn't impressed.
I didn't notice a different flavor, but the steaks are considerably more juicy than a conventionally cooked steak. I thought it was fine, but my wife doesn't like it.

My personal opinion is that sous-vide steaks are probably a colossal improvement for people who chronically overcook their steaks and end up with shoe-leather. But if you know how to properly cook a steak already, sous-vide is not as huge of an improvement- you get more of the steak volume at whatever temp the middle is supposed to be at, and it's not as tough.

Which brings up the thought- if people don't like sous-vide steaks, it could be because they were ordering them/cooking them such that the middle was rare(or whatever), because the majority of the steak is edible at that internal doneness. But when they go to sous-vide, they find that rare isn't actually their preferred doneness- they might actually really prefer medium-rare or even medium-well in actuality.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:01 PM

I've been watching and enjoying the new episodes, but is it just me or does his retro-futuristic-space-age flatware bother anyone else? It just looks so uncomfortable to use, like eating everything with a butter knife. It's very distracting to me whenever I see him use them.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Which brings up the thought- if people don't like sous-vide steaks, it could be because they were ordering them/cooking them such that the middle was rare(or whatever), because the majority of the steak is edible at that internal doneness. But when they go to sous-vide, they find that rare isn't actually their preferred doneness- they might actually really prefer medium-rare or even medium-well in actuality.
I wish I'd done sous vide on my tenderloin today. It was an odd end piece that I didn't recognize in the Costco package, meaning that its dimensions were awkward, and I ended up overcooking about 9 mm all around, and (according to my wife) undercooking the middle 12 mm or so.

Because it was Costco meat, it was awesome, even mostly overcooked, but it was "au poivre" so the sauce and pepper helped, certainly.

Oh, my point is, sous vide would have ensured that my preferred, rare doneness was through and through, rather than that middle 12 mm.

(I'm picking nits as this point; it was still an awesome meal.)
Old 09-12-2019, 08:34 AM

The Lady of the Refrigerator is back! I loved both the gags in that episode - she had taped pictures of herself onto all her "vacation" pictures showing the history of refrigeration, and the canned whole chicken in the fridge that was actually hiding the last piece of Icebox cake.