Old 09-02-2019, 10:48 AM

What a slow moving storm. We've seen the picture of Dorian gray skies off the coast of Florida for days now.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:16 AM

It's close enough to Florida that you can pull up radar and play the last 2 hrs. It's not moving. It's essentially a very large F3 tornado that is sitting over the Bahamas. There isn't going to be anything left of the island.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
There isn't going to be anything left of the island.

But what about Atlantis...?

(...too soon?)
Old 09-02-2019, 01:31 PM

Dorian has begun its turn to the north. 285 at 1 kt, per NHC 1400 hrs Eastern advisory. https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refres...l/261738.shtml

Weakened to 938 central pressure, sustained winds of 150 MPH.

Poor Bahamas. 10s of hours in 150 mph plus winds, with 18-23 feet of surge, is a lot to ask of anything.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 09-02-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
Are you trying to counter his statement that central Florida isn't likely to suffer a category 4 hurricane? The hurricane you referenced occurred almost 100 years ago. And that's not central Florida.
No. I am saying that riding out a storm of this magnitude is dangerous despite previous hurricane hunkering down experience.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotop View Post
No. I am saying that riding out a storm of this magnitude is dangerous despite previous hurricane hunkering down experience.
That's as may be, but trying to avoid the storm isn't practical. None of us know where it is going, even NOAA. If you're in an unsafe home it makes sense to go to a shelter, but leaving town usually doesn't make sense.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Crap, 5pm report and 6pm update show it stationary. Even the best structures can only take so much for so long.

And consider what with 20' storm surge, most of Grand Bahama is less than that high above MSL. Earlier to day CNN relayed some phone video the Minister of Agriculture uploaded from inside his house. That's not good. And that's likely one of the best houses in town.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:36 PM

With certain things, you're never sure if they're humor or real; we are talking about FL residents, after all.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:32 PM

It doesn't look like it's moved much at all but the power of it seems to have diminished. It will still be dumping a ridiculous amount of water on the Bahamas.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
What a slow moving storm. We've seen the picture of Dorian gray skies off the coast of Florida for days now.
The hurricane is reflecting our own increasing torpidity and laziness while we continue to look the same.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:13 AM

The 5am Advisory looks somewhat encouraging—slight degradation of storm and more shift to the east, putting the coast of Florida tentatively out of the cone of silence uncertainty. Hopefully, the risk to Georgia and the Carolinas will likewise be lessened.

Earlier, one of the model spaghetti stands took a beeline right over our house (in Ponte Vedra), so my blood pressure downgraded to a category 1 with the latest update.

My dog, cat, daughters and I took refuge at a shelter during Hurricane Matthew. Don't want to go through that hellish experience again. The shelter show runners did an admiral job, but boy howdy, a significant portion of guests were a showcase of Florida’s worst & dumbest.

Fights broke out. The cops and National Guard were called in. We were each allotted a 5’x2.5’ space on the bare floor. The lady in the space below me turned me in the authorities for my feet extending a couple inches into her space (hey, sorry for being 6’ tall in a 5’ space).

A guy with big, crazy eyes kept staring at my daughters, so I kept my eye on him.

A kooky bird lady and a criminal latched on to my daughters and I. They were neighbors with a history and hated each other. Bird Lady had a big Cockatoo in the pet room and complained constantly that they wouldn’t let her keep her bird in the people room—kept threatening to call the governor (who she knew personally) and get the shelter indicted for bird trauma or something.

The criminal (who Bird Lady said spent more time in prison, than out and once stabbed a man to death over some minor infraction) was perpetually drunk the entire 3 days. He cracked a joke about my legs (I was wearing shorts), but I let it slide. I figured it wasn’t in my best interest to instigate a drunk who once stabbed a man to death.

The shelter provided 3 meals per day—mini cinnamon pancakes, served cold after the power went off.

Some nimrod woke everyone at 2am singing and playing guitar. Most (sane) people bring necessities to a shelter. This guy brings his guitar, which he couldn’t play and sang worse than my cat yowling in heat.

They had a big screen TV set up in the room. The last thing we saw was St. Augustine (15 miles south of us) being flooded. Then the electricity went off (and stayed off for the following 2 days). We were in total darkness when the winds came and the roof started rattling. Bird Lady started crying about the fate of her bird. At least crazy eye guy couldn’t stare at my daughters any more. Guitar man broke into song. Who knows what criminal dude was up to—probably picking pockets.

Good times.

Heart goes out to the Bahamas and all affected by Dorian.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

We spent all weekend getting ready. Picking up yard debris and burning it, putting away all the outdoor furniture and loose objects outside, re-sealing the garage door, etc. At least we'll be ready for the next storm (maybe we can get that bad tree removed in the meantime)!

However, I'm still concerned about my mom and grandma in Palatka. They live right on the St. John's River, and Irma really did a number on them.

I can't even wrap my head around what it must be like for the people in the Bahamas.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:47 AM

Vero Beach resident here, a 12-minute drive to the coast. We just bought our first house three months ago, and this is our first hurricane. We are currently LOVING our new roof, which the insurance company made us get when we moved in (we were upset at the time but now are so glad they did!).

Being cooped up for days with metal shutters on the windows is no fun, I can tell you. But other than that, all is well. We put all our lawn furniture in the garage, bought water a few days ago, we're playing lots of games, having karaoke singalongs. Basically just trying not to go full-on Jack Torrence up in here.

Horrible what's happening in the Bahamas. We're supposed to get the worst of it tonight and frankly, I'm just eager to get it over with. Best wishes to anyone and everyone who's being affected!
Old 09-03-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Still pretty much stalled. I believe that somewhere in an attic there's a painting of a hurricane racing ahead getting stronger and stronger.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooWahDiddy View Post
Being cooped up for days with metal shutters on the windows is no fun, I can tell you. But other than that, all is well. We put all our lawn furniture in the garage, bought water a few days ago, we're playing lots of games, having karaoke singalongs. Basically just trying not to go full-on Jack Torrence up in here.
That's the spirit!
It's never a good idea to be alone during a hurricane. Obviously, you wouldn't have help if anything went wrong, but also, they're scary as crap.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:35 AM

I was a little surprised in the run up to this that the predictions were not far more dire.

I saw the track, saw the magnitude and saw the prediction of 7-8m surge and 170+ winds. I said to my wife that the Bahamas were pretty much going to be wiped out and the pictures coming in now seem to confirm that.

It may be that over here on the other side of the Atlantic we didn't get the same degree of urgency for this in the media but I wonder, how exactly do they/did they evacuate and what safe refuge was there?
Old 09-04-2019, 06:43 AM

The wind and rain are starting to pick up here. [Bette Davis] Fasten your seatbelts. It’s going to be a bumpy night.[/Bette Davis]

Time to pop a trough of popcorn before the power goes out.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

My folks in Palatka have sandbags, and what looks like a moat! The storm for them is starting now, should be over by nightfall. I think they'll be okay. * fingers crossed *
Old 09-04-2019, 09:12 AM

I take Amtrak from Palatka when I have to go to Orlando, then Uber. Saves me the hassle of driving and the cost is little more than the gas I save.

I think your folks will be fine. I’m a couple blocks from the beach in PVB and my daughter, cats and I are enjoying a cool breeze in the lanai right now. May get a bit worse in a couple hours, but not too bad. Michael and Irma were much worse. Michael felled a large tree that missed my roof by a couple feet.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to your post above, I darn sure won't be advising them to go to a shelter!
Old 09-04-2019, 10:51 AM

Well, at least tell them not to bed down near a guy with a guitar, or a gal with a bird.

And, of course I meant hurricane “Matthew”, not “Michael.” I was just watching a movie with Matthew McConaughey—I should have known better.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:55 AM

Stupid hurricane made it so I couldn't watch America's Got Talent yesterday...and we barely got more than a windstorm!

On the positive side, I don't think I've ever seen Universal Studios emptier in my life. I rode a ride quite literally completely by myself and there were probably more workers in the park than guests.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Florida Man has a plan!
Old 09-04-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Stupid hurricane made it so I couldn't watch America's Got Talent yesterday...and we barely got more than a windstorm!
<snip>
Think you got problems? My power went off at lunchtime and didn’t come back on for 10 whole minutes! I was frying my homemade gourmet McNuggets and they got oil-sogged with the decreased temp!
Old 09-04-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibby View Post
The wind and rain are starting to pick up here. [Bette Davis] Fasten your seatbelts. It’s going to be a bumpy night.[/Bette Davis]

Time to pop a trough of popcorn before the power goes out.
A statement traditionally made on the eve of a storm. Because that's what it's all about.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:57 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

It’s over us now in Charleston. No power and high winds.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:05 PM

Stay safe!
Old 09-05-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

My thoughts are with you guys, Jonathan. I wish this darn thing would hurry up and move on out to sea!
Old 09-05-2019, 01:34 PM

Try huddling under some oak trees with your butt to the wind.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:57 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Well, the power just came back so we lost it for about 5+ hours or so.

My patio is going to need some work. The pergola over the hot tub is - literally - a twisted set of steel bars at this point. I might need a welding torch to clear it out.

Hell, the Waffle House in town in on limited menu. Uh oh.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:08 AM

Better late than never.

(Some risqué language)

Ocala, here; Every gas station ran out of petrol, all the water/bread in the stores disappeared, I filled the bathtub and...nothing happened.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:10 PM

Wow, the storm that just won't quit! CNN reports that it's now back up to a Category 2 again and heading for the Canadian Maritimes, particularly eastern Nova Scotia. Halifax is already taking a beating. It was originally expected to weaken to a tropical storm before it reached that far north, but it looks like it will hit as a Category 2 hurricane.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:29 PM

Ah, baroclinic effects. Happens a lot when a system zips up the east coast.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

burpo, I had no idea you were so close to me! If my husband didn't have this big hangup about me meeting strangers from the internet, I'd come buy you and you wife an ice cream or something. As it is, maybe we'll run into each other someday if Stephen King ever decides to do a book signing in the area.

I lived in Ocala as a teenager; we still head over there now and then to go to the French restaurant. I don't know why nobody opens up a place like that in Gainesville.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:25 AM

He's not a stranger from the Internet. He's just a strange man from the Internet who you don't really know.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:30 AM

Dung Beetle might not know me, but, I assure you, there's nobody stranger.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:34 AM

Any word on Alabama? strange that I haven't seen any coverage of the devastation there.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:41 AM

*snerk*
Old 09-09-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
You must be true, for you are surely stranger than fiction could ever be.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:38 PM

Smile when you say that, stranger.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Inconceivable!
Old 09-11-2019, 07:09 PM

It's not Dorian, but Round 2 for the Bahamas may happen in a week or so.

See these European Met. Center model outputs: https://www.ecmwf.int/en/forecasts/c...entral_america

If I'm reading it right, they predict a sub 950 low (so a decent sized hurricane) near Eleuthera, Friday the 20th of September.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
Any word on Alabama? strange that I haven't seen any coverage of the devastation there.
Who would notice?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:07 PM
BANNED

I don't suppose our Admin will be sending Bahamas any disaster relief aid?